PDA

View Full Version : Young Archaeologists Caithness Branch meeting...

Young Archaeologists Club
17-Apr-09, 14:47
hello everyone...(wasnt sure if this was the correct place to post this, or if the people that be would allow it)

But anyways...

The second monthly meeting of the Young archaeologists club will be on the Sunday 26th April, 2pm-4pm at the Castletown Heritage Centre in Castletown...

Hopefully this might be of interest to a few of the children (along with the adults)...a nice day out on a sunday afternoon...with some exciting archaeological artefacts being loaned from Glasgow University...why not come have a nosey..?

Here follows the blurb...

The Caithness Young Archaeologists Club (YAC) re-launched in March with a meeting held at Castletown Heritage Centre. The beautiful Heritage Centre has become the Club’s new home, after Muriel Murray offered the use of the building for meetings. New Assistant Leader Kevin Mooney introduced himself to the club by giving a presentation of artifacts discovered at the White-gate Broch excavation in Keiss. AOC Archaeology, who employ Kevin and Len McKinney as a archaeologists, have recently opened post excavation labs in the Heritage Centre which will be used to process material from archaeology sites all over the UK. Kevin showed the YAC members finds ranging from tiny glass beads and clay pipes to human remains!
Branch Leader Freyja King-MacGregor introduced the members to 2009: A Sinclair Odyssey, a year-long community arts project being run by Lyth Arts Centre as part of the Homecoming Scotland celebrations. The Young Archaeologists Club will contribute to the project by researching the stories of the Clan Sinclair and creating material for the planned ‘Gathering’ at Wick Riverside later in the year. The Odyssey project will also visit local schools to plan and produce material for a street parade and the Gathering.

The Young Archaeologists Club hopes to attract new members with its planned programme of events including workshops on pottery, food, weaponry, clothing from the past (and how to make it!) and, of course, the past of Caithness. The next meeting will take place at Castletown Heritage Centre on Sunday, April 26th from 2-4pm. Paul Humphreys will lead a workshop in making pottery which will be followed by the Sinclair Odyssey. Kevin will also be showing artifacts loaned to the Club by Glasgow University

Parents are more than welcome to stay and the Club welcomes children from age 8+. The first session is free to new members, and £1 per session thereafter. Newcomers welcome!

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/yac/

munchkin
17-Apr-09, 19:01
thankyou so much for advertising this as my son is now 8 and wants to join see you there.

17-Apr-09, 19:41
thankyou so much for advertising this as my son is now 8 and wants to join see you there.

no problem at all...feel free to pop along and spread the word...

(its really not as boring as it sounds)...

And we have geared it towards the children enjoying themselves as much as possible...

everything is hands on...exciting...

pottery making, making things, we have even had archery...

We will have some exciting stuff to show this next meeting...

Plus the adults can stay and relax with a cup of tea/coffee...or come back at the end to pick the children up...

tootler
17-Apr-09, 22:37
I'll definitely be there with my daughter - the folk that organise YAC events do such a great job & I'd just like to say thanks and well done to them!:)

My daughter loved joining in with the YAC dig at Sinclair Girnigoe Castle and she even got to help out at the "grown-ups" dig last summer in the Dunnet area, searching for Vikings!! (Don't think we actually found any actual Vikings yet, but maybe next year...)

There's so much archaeology to discover in Caithness and this is a great way for children (and learner adults like me) to find out what it's all about in a friendly, supportive club. With knowledgeable, enthusiastic and very patient experts to hand at every meeting, I always learn something new and my daughter always has fun - it's great.

See you there?

tootler
21-Apr-09, 11:10
Just thought I'd bump this up to remind you all that the club's meeting this coming weekend!:D

munchkin
21-Apr-09, 15:12
you could`nt tell me were the heritage centre is please sorry dont know the area very well

23-Apr-09, 12:51
The heritage centre is located on harbour road...(just round the corner from the casteltown harbour).

Down the long road opposite the shop in castletown..

The post code is KW14 8TG (if it helps when you type it into google maps).

You cant miss the building itself, it has a big sign on the front..plus you can see pictures on the heritage centre website

www.castletownheritage.co.uk (http://www.castletownheritage.co.uk)

25-Apr-09, 13:40
just a quick reminder of tomorows meeting...

some finds from glasgow university will be displayed including...

prehistoric artefacts..
roman pottery...
a silver medieval coin
a medieval brooch

and other objects on loan to us from the university of glasgow...

Anji
25-Apr-09, 16:26
This sounds good. Not everybody reads the General Forum, though. If you're quick, you can get it posted in What's On (under Entertainment at the top of the page) in time for the event. That way, people looking for somewhere to go tomorrow would see it.

25-Apr-09, 18:48
This sounds good. Not everybody reads the General Forum, though. If you're quick, you can get it posted in What's On (under Entertainment at the top of the page) in time for the event. That way, people looking for somewhere to go tomorrow would see it.

ahh..

thanks very much for that info..(i seen the wee bit to submit, but i dont htink ive made it in time...gave it a go though)

im still new to the forum, so havent seen all these wee helpfull bits..

thanks for the info..

(plus come along on sunday :p)

Aaldtimer
25-Apr-09, 19:02
ahh..

thanks very much for that info..(i seen the wee bit to submit, but i dont htink ive made it in time...gave it a go though)

im still new to the forum, so havent seen all these wee helpfull bits..

thanks for the info..

(plus come along on sunday :p)

You can also e-mail the details to Caithness FM and ask them to give you a mention on air. It would maybe be better to 'phone at this short notice tho'! 01847 890000 :)