PDA

View Full Version : Best Indian in Caithness

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 11:46
I know an indian got slated on here last week so now is your chance to tell it like it is!! (no slagging off please)
Just vote for your favourite and explain why.
At least that will help all those who havent tried them yet.
As i said please dont Dis any of them just explain why you picked your one and what you have.

For me its K2. I have Lamb patia or Dhansak and mrs rod has Chicken Dhansak. Also love the sheek kebab its heavenly.
Sometimes have a dhansak from the Balti house as well,but K2 is myfavourite.

justine
17-Apr-09, 11:51
none of them. Tried them and found them all over rated. I had Korma and to be honest it looked like something a dog had just thrown up.
I am surprised at the "slagging off" term, we dont all slag things down, we offer opinions.:lol:

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 11:53
none of them. Tried them and found them all over rated. I had Korma and to be honest it looked like something a dog had just thrown up.
I am surprised at the "slagging off" term, we dont all slag things down, we offer opinions.:lol:
yet again justine you have lowered the tone.
If you dont like the Indians why post on an Indian thread?
And if you had read the topic last week you would have seen that it did get "slagged off" and not merely offered opinions.

Ash
17-Apr-09, 12:28
i love the one in castletown
always have a korma, me and OH get the set meal and it gets delivered
always good!

thoms83
17-Apr-09, 12:34
shelina spice in thurso, hands down.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
17-Apr-09, 12:40
as someone who uses all bar shelina spice - taj mahal is by far the tastiest and brilliant service!!

Ash
17-Apr-09, 12:44
ive been to shelina spice and the indian palace, after being to shelina spice i thought indian palace was great but one time i ate there and didnt enjoy it, but now go to taj mahal and the amount flavours is yummy! would never go back to shelina spice !

buddyrich
17-Apr-09, 13:54
Apparently you can soon add halkirk to the list. Word has it that the two rivals in Thurso each have premises and are opening in Halkirk soon.

twinkle
17-Apr-09, 14:00
For me it has to be Taj Mahal there food is lovely and the buffet on a sunday is so cheap.

Geo
17-Apr-09, 14:09
I've been to K2 a few times and have always found the food to be very tasty. The staff are friendly too. Recommended.

changilass
17-Apr-09, 14:34
Has to be Castletown, the wee man loves going out for a 'grown up' meal and the staff all make a fuss of him, he loves it.

He has progressed from having a plate of chips to having a try of just about everything on offer on the buffet nights.

Blondie
17-Apr-09, 14:46
Good for him :) There are so many fussy kids nowadays.

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 14:48
Castletown is just edging it, if you prefer somewhere else get voting!!!!!:lol:

Blondie
17-Apr-09, 14:49
I only ever go to k2 and love it. Where abouts in Castletown is the indian?

changilass
17-Apr-09, 14:50
Can I get 2 more votes please without the need to set up sock puppets.

Hubby and the wee man would both vote Castletown too.:D

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 16:33
Can I get 2 more votes please without the need to set up sock puppets.

Hubby and the wee man would both vote Castletown too.:D
Yes but my wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs and bearded dragon all vote for K2 so I think we'll leave that one!!!![lol]

dragonfly
17-Apr-09, 16:44
much prefer Indian Palace though Taj Mahal is close 2nd. If it were within the Highlands then Cinnamon in Inverness and Al Raj in Nairn

alanatkie
17-Apr-09, 17:21
Has to be Castletown. It's across from the drill hall in Castletown beside the garage.

Iffy
17-Apr-09, 17:29

GOOD GRIEF Justine ! ! !

Have you anything GOOD to say about any thread you post on .....:roll::roll:

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 17:30
much prefer Indian Palace though Taj Mahal is close 2nd. If it were within the Highlands then Cinnamon in Inverness and Al Raj in Nairn
Have to agree cinnamon is good in sneckie and if my mind serves me right the chef there at the moment used to work in K2.

the poacher
17-Apr-09, 17:43
none they are all trash horrible rubbish whatever you want to call them

worked in indian takeaways and if you knew wat i knew you wouldnt go to a take away again.

Blondie
17-Apr-09, 17:49

worked in indian takeaways and if you knew wat i knew you wouldnt go to a take away again.

Are you related to Justine? :lol:

So you have worked in all the indian takeaways have you? :roll:

Skerries
17-Apr-09, 17:51

It's the Indian Palace for me and I've got a lot more faith in their environmental health standards than certain chippies :D

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 17:54

Thats a bit of a generalisation, thats like saying all scotsmen wear kilts and eat haggis!!!!
I too worked in an Indian takeaway and can assure you it was spotless.
Why bother posting in the thread if you dont like Indians?

the poacher
17-Apr-09, 17:58
DONT WE every day its in our blood and hearts we are true scots

the poacher
17-Apr-09, 18:02
Are you related to Justine? :lol:

So you have worked in all the indian takeaways have you? :roll:

justine who?

no but its my opinion dont like indians

i do like indian rain apachy here and apachy there !!!

Blondie
17-Apr-09, 18:04
Well why did you bother posting? Its a poll for the best indian :roll:

the poacher
17-Apr-09, 18:08
Well why did you bother posting? Its a poll for the best indian :roll:

is that a totum pole by any chance.

cullpacket
17-Apr-09, 18:35
Agree with dragonfly so far have not tried the Wick ones yet must give them a go

changilass
17-Apr-09, 18:39
Thats it!

Gonna sign up the dowg and the forever breeding tropical fish - bliddy loads of them, so that puts Castletown back on top again.:lol:

Yes but my wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs and bearded dragon all vote for K2 so I think we'll leave that one!!!![lol]

SNOWDOG
17-Apr-09, 18:45
We go to the one in Castletown at least once a month. Have tried the others and we dont find them very good at all!

Green_not_greed
17-Apr-09, 20:42
To be honest I've never tried the Wick one - the Thurso and Castletown ones are all good and each is better then the other depending on what dishes you get.

BUT the best I remember was the original Indian restaurant that opened in Thurso in the mid-1980s, where Reids Chip Shop is now. It wasn't just good, it was OUTSTANDING. I think it was also called the Taj Mahal but am willing to be corrected. The quality was excellent but the dishes were also very hot and spicy compared to what is available now. You had to be a real "man" to try a vindaloo - and thank God it was beside the river if you did!

Snarfer
17-Apr-09, 21:15
The only Indian in caithness I havn't tried is the Indian Palace so can't include that but taj mahal in castletown is far better than the rest.

I like thier Biriannie (excuse the spelling).:)

Rheghead
17-Apr-09, 21:23
It's the Indian Palace for me and I've got a lot more faith in their environmental health standards than certain chippies :D

I agree but I have heard good reports from Castletown right enuff

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Apr-09, 21:25
I judge an Indian curry by the way my farts react.So far its the Balti House,British Gas eat yer heart out.K2 good,but the farts wernae the same.The rest,if I want a takeaway,why wid I go to Thurso or Castletown.It wid be too cold.Indian is HOT.:lol::lol:

TBH
17-Apr-09, 21:32
I judge an Indian curry by the way my farts react.So far its the Balti House,British Gas eat yer heart out.K2 good,but the farts wernae the same.The rest,if I want a takeaway,why wid I go to Thurso or Castletown.It wid be too cold.Indian is HOT.:lol::lol:Could you plug yer buttcheekies into the CHAP system, I'm sure they would be grateful. "Cedric, reaches the parts other CHAPS can't". "Cedric will reach, you Retch".

Kenn
17-Apr-09, 21:44
Have been to The Taj Mahal a few times and the service has always been excellent,food piping hot and very tasty.
The problem with curries is that depending on where the chef or his recipes originate from,they will vary from restaurant to restaurant but then that's the unknown quantity that adds spice to the event.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Apr-09, 22:01
Could you plug yer buttcheekies into the CHAP system, I'm sure they would be grateful. "Cedric, reaches the parts other CHAPS can't". "Cedric will reach, you Retch".
CHAP would work if they phoned Barnsley.Honestly my farts would burst the whole system.:lol:Only one man has surpassed my farts.Billy Boy.Bouffing is not the word.:lol:

Mystical Potato Head
17-Apr-09, 22:09
Indian Palace for me,Their Vindaloos and Phals are up there with the best of them and i've been fortunate to have curries all over the country,Shangrila in Derby is the best i've had..Every dish i've had at the Palace has been very good.
Chicken Kahiri is also outstanding.Been to Castletown once,had no complaints but not good enough to temp away from Thurso.

Justine,going to an Indian restaurant and asking for a Korma is like going to the Upper Deck for a beefburger,there are far more interestingly flavoured dishes to chose from and yes,Korma does resemble something a dogs thrown up,its to do with the pukey colour.:lol:

Rheghead
17-Apr-09, 22:44
food piping hot and very tasty.

This might sound really minging to a lot but I think an Indian meal can be best sampled the day after being left out on the work surface overnight.:lol: The depth of the flavour when cold is really nice.:D

changilass
17-Apr-09, 22:52
C'mon Rheggers, own up, by the time it arrived you was looking at the bottom of the wine bottle so went to bed, only to find it waiting there for you in the morning and being the canny man you are, it was a case of havign to eat it to get your moneys worth.

northener
17-Apr-09, 22:53
Chinese curry is nice out of the fridge the next day.

Anyway, this poll is crap. I can't vote for the Sioux Nation (currently lodging in caravans in North Keiss) or the Arapaho that lives round the corner from me.

Rheghead
17-Apr-09, 22:56
C'mon Rheggers, own up, by the time it arrived you was looking at the bottom of the wine bottle so went to bed, only to find it waiting there for you in the morning and being the canny man you are, it was a case of havign to eat it to get your moneys worth.

Like Alexander Fleming and the penicillin moment? :Razz Of course, :lol:

Fran
18-Apr-09, 02:54
I have noticed someone on these threads has "banned" under her name.
If someone is banned how are they able to still post on the org??!!

forevera123
18-Apr-09, 03:54

i noticed that as well, i guessed should be the orger typed the" banned" underneath the name by herself/himself.

Margaret M.
18-Apr-09, 04:43

The posts were written before she was banned.

loganbiffy
18-Apr-09, 05:03
Taj Mahal is good but doesn't come close to K2.
The Omrit Tiger Special from K2 is amazing.

Kevin Milkins
18-Apr-09, 10:23
We used to go out for an Indian meal on a weekly basis when we lived down South.
When we moved to Wick we tried the K2, but we felt it was not as good as our regular down South and stoped going.

We then discovered the Indian take away meals from Tesco and not only are they very good value for money, but are very tasty and consistant.

Kevin Milkins
18-Apr-09, 10:28
I forgot to conclude.

As the poll ask's "what is the best Indian Takeaway" and there is no space for Tesco, then I will have to post my opinon here as every little helps.TESCO :Razz

dragonfly
18-Apr-09, 10:33
We're getting a takeaway tonight from Indian Palace and I usually have Balti Chicken Tikka Masalla, Chicken Dansak or Chilli Garlic Chicken, but being on a health kick, having lost 5lb so far this week, whats the best thing to order that isn't calorie laden? other than the free salad that comes with the starters????

anyone any suggestions (like medium curries, not fond of hot)

northener
18-Apr-09, 11:15
I forgot to conclude.

As the poll ask's "what is the best Indian Takeaway" and there is no space for Tesco, then I will have to post my opinon here as every little helps.TESCO :Razz

Burn the heretic!!!!!

mrs and mr brown
18-Apr-09, 11:34
ok ive been drawn to the thread as im starving { im on a diet} i thought i would be really cruel to my self and see what takeaways you all like.........

mines would be the one in thurso in ormile, i know its been slated on here these days but my reason are i dont like indian food
{ yes i know why are you replying on a thread about indian takeaways}

but the food that i have had out of there has been lovely, the kebabs are really nice, and burgers ect, and i feel that there not bad priced and makes a change for chinnese and chippy lol { now you can see why im on a diet} he he he. i cant comment on the other indian takeaways as i have never eaten out of there but i havnt heard a bad word said about them, so good choices everyone, lol.....................
now i have finnished being cruel to my self im gunna have an apple yum yum......... :(

beyonces body here i come lol :D

mrs and mr brown
18-Apr-09, 11:37
We're getting a takeaway tonight from Indian Palace and I usually have Balti Chicken Tikka Masalla, Chicken Dansak or Chilli Garlic Chicken, but being on a health kick, having lost 5lb so far this week, whats the best thing to order that isn't calorie laden? other than the free salad that comes with the starters????

i would like to say well done for losing 5lbs this week drangonfly as im on i diet i can really simpervise how hard it is to get someting that is tasty and isnt hidden in cals., good luck with what ever goal you trying to get too, all the best, he he

{beyonces body here i come he he}

Blondie
18-Apr-09, 11:42

Well done on the weight loss :D

What about Rogan Josh?

rumpelstiltskin
22-Apr-09, 06:15
I think the Taj Mahal in castletown might be closed for a wee while!

hotrod4
22-Apr-09, 06:43
I think the Taj Mahal in castletown might be closed for a wee while!
Why?
Thats a bit of a riddle you've posted there!!!![lol]

Venture
22-Apr-09, 07:22
It's certainly making the headlines on MFR this morning.:(

topotheuk
22-Apr-09, 08:23
Is is because it burned to the ground last night? Main Road in Castletown still closed.

Alice in Blunderland
22-Apr-09, 08:34
Ohh nnnooo I hope not we enjoyed a lovely meal in there just a few nights ago. :D

It was lovely and well worth the money. We were going to be taking the kids back in two weeks time for buffet night. :roll: Not now maybe. :(

Venture
22-Apr-09, 08:51
Sorry Alice but according to the news this morning the place is completely gutted. Fire brigade from Wick and Thurso attended and the road is still closed through Castletown.

mums angels
22-Apr-09, 12:12
I actually like them all for individual things ( never tried balti house though)

Selina spice - chicken pakora lovely
Indian palace - Korma and garlic chilli chicken bhuna
selina spice - chicken madras
Indian palace - sheek kebabs
taj mahal - nan breads and chicken jalfrezzi

only ever eaten in at K2 and everything we had was great .

cuddlepop
22-Apr-09, 13:57
We alwas have our meal out at K2 so have voted for them as we've never been disappointed.

Was going to try the Castletown Indian as that appears to have a good reputation but it appears we'll have a very long wait now.:(

Kodiak
22-Apr-09, 14:04
Well although The Taj Mahal has the most votes it looks like it will be quite some time before they rustle up another Curry, if at all, since it was burnt down. Sad this. :(

unicorn
22-Apr-09, 16:37
I think this poll is cursed :eek:

ShelleyCowie
22-Apr-09, 16:42

I think u are right! :confused

northener
22-Apr-09, 17:30
Nah, it's the power of the .Org poll.

The 'opposition' saw what a lead they had in the poll and decided to dp something about it.....

hotrod4
22-Apr-09, 17:31
I started the pole but I DIDNT start the fire!!!!![lol]

Mystical Potato Head
22-Apr-09, 18:23
Obviously the Vindaloo was a bit too hot.

SNOWDOG
22-Apr-09, 21:26
Rest in peace Taj Mahal, you'll be sorely missed! :cry:

alanatkie
22-Apr-09, 22:17
Rest in peace Taj Mahal, you'll be sorely missed! :cry:

Aint that the truth. :roll: Here's to them making a comeback in good time.

Fran
22-Apr-09, 23:09
Very sad that the one voted the best has burnt down and i was going to go there today!!