PDA

View Full Version : Multipack can

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 11:43
Am I the only one who hates getting sold a multipack can from any of the Chinese Takeaways in Wick?
I am sure Golach the tax man could enlighten us as to the legalities of it!!![lol]
i find it really annoying that you see them in the supermarkets buying them cheap and sometimes bogof and then having the cheek to sell them for 60p!!
I now buy my own but in the past i used to buy them from the takeaways.
Not only is it illegal but its a darn cheek!!!
Ok rant over but it really gets my goat!![evil]

Geo
17-Apr-09, 12:03
It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I want a can a coke, I get a can of coke. What's printed on the side doesn't change the contents. Is it illegal or is it simply that the manufacturers don't want it done?

changilass
17-Apr-09, 12:03
If its illegal, tell them so, if they don't stop doing it go report them to whoever the relevant authority is rather than just buying elsewhere.

Kodiak
17-Apr-09, 12:48
If you do not want to pay 60p for a can of Coke then don't. No one is making you buy it.

It is not Illegal for them to sell these as there is no copyright on a can of coke and once they have bought it they can sell it on if they wish.

Cans have this "Multi-Can" printed on to stop large retailers like Tesco from selling them one can at a time. The only way that can do so is that if they did sell them one can at a time they would just stop supplying that Supermarket.

Since the Chinese is not buying from a wholesaler or direct from Coca-Cola they can not say to them if they continue to keep on selling Multi-Pak Cans one by one they will stop their supply. So the Chinese Take-Away can sell these cans of Coke or whatever as it is perfectly legal.

As to Tax, it t is legal to buy from whatever source you want to as long as you keep receipts for the Tax Man and your books up-to-date.

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 12:55
If you do not want to pay 60p for a can of Coke then don't. No one is making you buy it.

I never said they did!!!! I just think it is morally wrong to raid a supermarket and buy cheap cans on offer when they could support local business' by buying from them.
Sometimes when you go there is hardly any left as they have bought them all!!

Kodiak
17-Apr-09, 13:03
I never said they did!!!! I just think it is morally wrong to raid a supermarket and buy cheap cans on offer when they could support local business' by buying from them.

This is what you call Business, buy low sell high. Nothing wrong with that at all.

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 13:05
This is what you call Business, buy low sell high. Nothing wrong with that at all.
That may be so but blatant ripping off isnt the way to do business!!!:lol:

Geo
17-Apr-09, 13:06
Without knowing their overheads can you be sure it is blatant ripping off? You have to take into account the overall value of what you are getting. Food prices have shot up so they need to make money while keeping the overall retail price competitive. If you knew the difference in buying wholesale or even direct from CocaCola and buying from Tesco you would understand why they do it. The difference is bad enough at the best of times never mind a recession. I'd rather they did that than stick their food prices up to compensate.

I can't remember ever seeing Tesco short of coke though.

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 13:07
If you knew the difference in buying wholesale or even direct from CocaCola and buying from Tesco you would understand why they do it. The difference is bad enough at the best of times never mind a recession.

I can't remember ever seeing Tesco short of coke though.
But they dont pass the saving on to the consumer though and thats the point.

GetWithTheTimes
17-Apr-09, 13:08

rofl well the supermarket is to blame for there not being any left as they should notice they are selling lots and order more so the supermarket should be the one getting gurned at

and it is financially stupid if you run a business and you buy from a local store just to please locals when you can buy the same product at half the price elsewhere, maybe if it was you making a living from working in the chinese you would appreciate the fact that the money they save buying in bulk or multi pack goes towards there food electric rent etc... if you knew how little it cost to make half the meals you buy in resteraunts etc... would you complain that they were buying in bulk and from companies down south rather than from local businesses??? businesses fail and close and bigger ones take over because they can afford to buy in bigger bulk and sell their items cheaper than local businesses and the customer wants cheaper items so who they gonna go to??? as for small shops away from the big shops they thrive on the people who live close not being bothered to walk down the street or people who want drink and fags etc... or the paper in the morning and stuff like that, i think local businesses closing is inevitable, the younger generation want macdonalds and kfc and stuff like that up here and want the better clothes shops so eventually there wont be much local business it will eventually be taken over by brands, thurso is growing pretty fast there is loads of new houses and flats going up and loads of people moving here from down south to get away from the city life but eventually its going to be city life here and there is nothing we can do to stop it

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 13:12
rofl well the supermarket is to blame for there not being any left as they should notice they are selling lots and order more so the supermarket should be the one getting gurned at

and it is financially stupid if you run a business and you buy from a local store just to please locals when you can buy the same product at half the price elsewhere, maybe if it was you making a living from working in the chinese you would appreciate the fact that the money they save buying in bulk or multi pack goes towards there food electric rent etc... if you knew how little it cost to make half the meals you buy in resteraunts etc... would you complain that they were buying in bulk and from companies down south rather than from local businesses??? businesses fail and close and bigger ones take over because they can afford to buy in bigger bulk and sell their items cheaper than local businesses and the customer wants cheaper items so who they gonna go to??? as for small shops away from the big shops they thrive on the people who live close not being bothered to walk down the street or people who want drink and fags etc... or the paper in the morning and stuff like that, i think local businesses closing is inevitable, the younger generation want macdonalds and kfc and stuff like that up here and want the better clothes shops so eventually there wont be much local business it will eventually be taken over by brands, thurso is growing pretty fast there is loads of new houses and flats going up and loads of people moving here from down south to get away from the city life but eventually its going to be city life here and there is nothing we can do to stop it
................................. Heres a few full stops for you!!!:lol:
But by buying local they would help contribute to the local economy as they dont employ locals I wonder does any of the money go back into the local economy?

Geo
17-Apr-09, 13:16
But they dont pass the saving on to the consumer though and thats the point.

I think I edited my post after you had read it so you didn't see my answer to that. Short version is they probably are passing on the saving by using the coke to absorb big food price hikes.

GetWithTheTimes
17-Apr-09, 13:43
................................. Heres a few full stops for you!!!:lol:
But by buying local they would help contribute to the local economy as they dont employ locals I wonder does any of the money go back into the local economy?

typical orger as always picking on grammar if it wasnt lack of full stops im sure it would be something else :)

well their interests arent in helping local shops make money its a business and they want to make as much money as they can for themselves, and i dont blame them as they are a local business they are in the town and have been for some time, and im sure they aint the richest people in the world as it is so expecting them to make less money just to make some locals happy is selfish if i had a business i would buy from wherever was cheapest not where the local people would prefer me to buy from

there would soon be a thread complaining about the coke being 80p a tin if they bought from local shops and had to raise the prices to make the bills and get by did you think of that?

Kodiak
17-Apr-09, 13:49

LOL They are buying Local, from their LOCAL Supermarket who does support the Local Economy by Paying Wages to Local People they Employ, Paying Rates to the Local Council etc etc.

If you do not like the way a particular shop does Business then there is a simple answer, stop going there. If you keep on buying from them then you are supporting they way they do Business, no matter what you buy from them, be it food or cans of Coke.

So if think that a particular shop is Not supporting the Local Economy then you, by buying from them and supporting them, would not be supporting the Local Economy either.

buddyrich
17-Apr-09, 13:50
Why not just go and buy the multipack yourself?

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 14:25
Why not just go and buy the multipack yourself?
I do now!!!

golach
17-Apr-09, 14:51
I am sure Golach the tax man could enlighten us as to the legalities of it!!!
I am not a Tax man, never was, why bring me into this hotrod?

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 15:05
I am not a Tax man, never was, why bring me into this hotrod?
Thought you were ex customs & excise, arent they the taxmans cousins?[lol]

changilass
17-Apr-09, 15:09
Hotrod, my dad is Golachs cousin, and whilst he was a prison officer in a previous life he was never a taxman.

golach
17-Apr-09, 15:10
Thought you were ex customs & excise, arent they the taxmans cousins?
Not in my day, I helped collect Duty,and catch druggies and bootlegers, a different thing than Tax,

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 15:12
Not in my day, I helped collect Duty,and catch druggies and bootlegers, a different thing than Tax,
Sorry for that.

golach
17-Apr-09, 15:15
Sorry for that.
Nae harm done.........

floyed
17-Apr-09, 19:33
Eh......nope doesn't bother me in the slightest:roll:

ShelleyCowie
17-Apr-09, 21:09
Well i paid 65p for a can from Frazers in thurso. :confused How mental is that. But i do usually buy multi pack cans or bottles.

(Diluting juice is far cheaper)

TBH
17-Apr-09, 21:17
Sometimes when you go there is hardly any left as they have bought them all!!I'm sure if the local businesses could supply the coke at the same or price then they would probably buy from them. Obviously they don't so they are maximising their profits buy buying from the supermarket, nothing morally wrong with that. You, as a consumer, get what you want to pay for or not. The choice is yours.

S&LHEN
17-Apr-09, 21:59
I dont find 60p dear for a can of coke as if your out in a pub / resturant they are £1.00 or more.
More places than the chinese sell multipack cans, fair play to them I say.
:D

*Martin*
17-Apr-09, 22:18
Don't they normally say "Multipack can, not to be sold separately" ?

I noticed the indian is selling these for 60p the other week. Mind you I don't mind seen as it's 80p only 20 foot steps away in Mcolls!

tiggertoo
17-Apr-09, 22:29
it does say on e tin 'not to be sold seperately' so does that make it wrong,i dont think supermarkets sell those multipacks for the intention of smaller shops to make a large profit on each tin considering a multi pack tin is aboot 20p and shops are selling it for 60p and yes hot rod i would agree we you. all at local shops have been ripping us of for years with there extortionate prices cos we had nowhere else to go so its good to see bigger stores here now and smaller shops can feel e pinch now e local buissnesmen have stuffed there pockets with enough o our money for years :lol: