PDA

View Full Version : New red dwarf

lister
16-Apr-09, 20:38
As a "Dwarfer" does anyone feel as i do that the 3 episodes just recently seen on Dave were well below par for this series and not as well written as previous shows,also the storyline was a parody of a similar episode about the despair squid!.:(

Kodiak
16-Apr-09, 20:43
Well to be blunt, Red Dwarf is below the quality any other programme on any TV Channel. The worst thing about it is that Craig Charles. As soon as I see the name Red Dwarf I remember when it is on so I can make sure I dont accidently watch it. In case you have not guessed, I do not like this show.

northener
16-Apr-09, 20:44
I'm not an avid follower of Red Dwarf - but I've always found the ones i've seen very funny.

But, I found the first of the new series very poor in comparison to the older series.
It felt very laboured, lets hope the series gets into its stride soon.

ShelleyCowie
16-Apr-09, 20:45
Compared to the classic episodes, they were nothing. Hardly a funny bit in it really. They were not the snappy, witty, sarcastic bunch that they used to be. Well the script wasn't. I did not enjoy them that much and neither did my OH.

Was really looking forward to them and it was such a let down! :(

ShelleyCowie
16-Apr-09, 20:46
I'm not an avid follower of Red Dwarf - but I've always found the ones i've seen very funny.

But, I found the first of the new series very poor in comparison to the older series.
It felt very laboured, lets hope the series gets into its stride soon.

That was it! It was a 3 parter. No more from the Red Dwarf cast now i believe. :confused

lister
16-Apr-09, 20:53
Compared to the classic episodes, they were nothing. Hardly a funny bit in it really. They were not the snappy, witty, sarcastic bunch that they used to be. Well the script wasn't. I did not enjoy them that much and neither did my OH.

Was really looking forward to them and it was such a let down! :(

I agree not a patch on the original series as with alot of these older shows they have died and should not be resurected without the same wit and comic intellect of old .
There was a slow interaction between the characters and the 3 episodes would have been rolled into 1 with the content ,a real disappointment so sad for a real "Dwarfer"like masel, shame.:(

kmahon2001
16-Apr-09, 21:25
I agree that the series was disappointing. For me, I missed the atmosphere of a live audience. They were doing things and saying things that would seem so much funnier if there was an audience laughing along.

I liked the parody of Blade Runner, I thought that was a good twist, but the whole Coronation Street bit seemed very awkward and, to be honest, more than a bit cringe worthy.

Geo
16-Apr-09, 21:45
I saw bits of the new one and it was awful. No desire to watch the rest of it. It really went downhill when the writer Rob Grant left at the end of series 6 I think it was. It was never the same after that.

Angel
16-Apr-09, 22:21
I have to admit that our family are dwarfers... I also admit that the character interaction was hard work to watch. Without the audience laughing (preferable to canned laughter) it seemed flat and laboured.
My son usually laughs his socks and anything else he is wearing off, but only laughed out loud on 3 occasions.
The script was o.k. but poorly delivered. I suspect, should any more be made, that they will get into their stride.
People knock Red Dwarf for the poor scenery, fx, etc... but that is part of the crazyness of it all.
It was as stiff as the first episode, and we know how well it has done since.
All in all I would say I was a little dissapointed... so for me a 6 out of ten.

ANGEL

thejudd
16-Apr-09, 23:38
I loved the old shows and watchethem when ever they are on (usually on dave lol) but the 3 new ones just weren't the same. It just felt like the cast were just going through the episodes with no feeling at all. If these were to be the last ever they have gone out with a whimper not the bang they should have gone out with.

Green_not_greed
17-Apr-09, 20:46
I am a big fan and have been since series #1.

IMO NOTHING has yet made up for them taking Clare Grogan out of the cast......

The three recent episodes on Dave weren't great but I did think better than not being made at all.

I downloaded mine via the internet as Dave doesn't work on Freeview in Reay. Just wondering how others viewed theirs?

lister
17-Apr-09, 21:08
I'm sure the series has so much more to offer in the right hands .
Rob grants departure was a shame but the series was excellent even after series 6 and some of the episodes between 6-8 were brill.
I have heard a rumour some years ago that there was to be a film but nothing transpired from this.
What about getting a new writer or writers to engage in a worthwhile cause such as this ,my first thought would be Terry Pratchett ,his Disc world books were so imaginative,fresh and extremely funny that I'm sure it would work its just a real shame he has been diagnosed with alzheimer's, but along the same type of vein the limits are N+1:Razz