PDA

View Full Version : fish and chip shops

suzie
16-Apr-09, 20:21
I moved to thurso recently and was told Robins is the best chippie - I have tried their fish suppers a few times and on every occasion have been very disappointed. Tonight I tried Reids even though the fish was freshly cooked the chips looked and tasted as if they had been reheated. Are these the only chip shops in Thurso?[disgust]

changilass
16-Apr-09, 20:31
I have my cynical hat on tonight and it is telling me that there is something funny about this post.

You are asking if there are more than just 2 chippies in Thurso, yet you say you have been in Robins. If this is the case then you know for a fact that there is at least one other chippy as its directly across the road.

Kodiak
16-Apr-09, 20:33
No you have Maggie Annes, this is also in Princes Street but further up.

You also get the Mobile Chip Van on a Wednesday outside the Ormlie Community Centre. This in my opinion serves the best Fish & Chips in all Caithness. The fish is Fresh and they cut their chips by hand, also their Scampi is hand made. The Mobile Chip Van has a web site, here is a Link for it :-

http://www.chef4celebrations.com/

katarina
16-Apr-09, 20:41
to get a decent chippy, you have to come through to Wick!

suzie
16-Apr-09, 20:44
I have my cynical hat on tonight and it is telling me that there is something funny about this post.

You are asking if there are more than just 2 chippies in Thurso, yet you say you have been in Robins. If this is the case then you know for a fact that there is at least one other chippy as its directly across the road.

Was told by my sons pals to avoid that one as it is not very good - I'm afraid i rely on word of mouth too much are you saying the one across from Robins is good? If so will give it a try:D

joxville
16-Apr-09, 20:46

You also get the Mobile Chip Van on a Wednesday outside the Ormlie Community Centre. This in my opinion serves the best Fish & Chips in all Caithness. The fish is Fresh and they cut their chips by hand, also their Scampi is hand made. The Mobile Chip Van has a web site, here is a Link for it :-

Don't they use a knife? ;)

Handmade scampi??? How else is it made?

Kodiak
16-Apr-09, 20:48
Don't they use a knife? ;)

Handmade scampi??? How else is it made?

Most other Chip Shops use Frozen Scampi but the Mobile Chip Van make it themselves and it is Not Frozen. Hence it is Hand made. :D

ShelleyCowie
16-Apr-09, 20:49
I find chippes are a hit and miss. Sometimes it is really good, but the next time can be a let down. Thats why i tend to avoid chippies and that.

I do get a desperate need for chinese sometimes! So for a chinese i can reccommend eighty eight chinese across from the old cardosi shop. (Now Mace i believe)

Chippies....try em all! See which u prefer.

northener
16-Apr-09, 20:53
As Katarina says - move to Wick!

No probs here!

suzie
16-Apr-09, 20:53

Just looked at web site and the hand cut chips have done it for me - yummy! Will try him next week thanks x

changilass
16-Apr-09, 20:54
Was told by my sons pals to avoid that one as it is not very good - I'm afraid i rely on word of mouth too much are you saying the one across from Robins is good? If so will give it a try:D

Sorry - I have now taken off cynical hat, it makes sense now, I just couldn't understand how you had not noticed it.

joxville
16-Apr-09, 20:56
I'd like to know why fish and chips are dearer in Thurso than they are in Glasgow? It's eleventyseven years since a fishing boat docked in Glasgow.

S&LHEN
16-Apr-09, 21:35
I love Castletown chip shop havent been let down yet, and the staff are friendly. Heard Margaret annes is good in Thurso 2 but not been yet.

ShelleyCowie
16-Apr-09, 22:03
I love Castletown chip shop havent been let down yet, and the staff are friendly. Heard Margaret annes is good in Thurso 2 but not been yet.

I went there a wee while back, was on my way home from the street and was rather hungry.

Got a smoked sausage supper and it was lovely! Chips tasted good and batter was crispy! Just the way it should be!

S&LHEN
16-Apr-09, 22:26
Oh dont your making me starving............ when does it close? :lol:

I went there a wee while back, was on my way home from the street and was rather hungry.

Got a smoked sausage supper and it was lovely! Chips tasted good and batter was crispy! Just the way it should be!

ShelleyCowie
16-Apr-09, 22:41
Oh dont your making me starving............ when does it close? :lol:

Im makin myself hungry! But im pretty sure they are closed now!

Shame....and shame they dina do deliveries! [lol]

pingu
16-Apr-09, 22:45
On the way home last nite we went to castletown chip shop never again was disgusting had a smoked sausage supper and it was so so greasy yuck .My other half had a pattie supper wasnt much better and hardly any mince in it .I really do think it could be improved. Pingu

horsegirl
16-Apr-09, 23:36
I cant say i would ever go to robins chippy. I have been a few time and everytime it was nasty.(was hoping it was just a once off thats why i went back!!)

I have to say that Maggie Anns do the best fish supper i have found yet but i have to say reids is the best for all the other suppers.

I to find that reids fish supper is not very good. dry and not taste.

Hope u have success in finding a good chippy

I really want one now!!!!:(

Rheghead
16-Apr-09, 23:45
I prefer Reids for their crispy fresh fish batter and I prefer Robins for chips. Robins batter is so chewy it isn't to my taste but I do like their greasy chips.:lol:

Fran
17-Apr-09, 02:47
The chip van doesnt seem to come to wick which is a shame. i always go to the chippie in henrietta Street, really good fresh fish, and lovely chips with a friendly service. you can book your order in advance so you dont have to wait in a que.

butterfly
17-Apr-09, 20:54
Had a red pudding supper from the Pit Stop tonight,Yummy.

ellie-lou
18-Apr-09, 22:40
castletown definately the best,chicken fillets are lovely.:)

the poacher
18-Apr-09, 22:53
Henrietta chip shop is realy good lovely food out o that chip shop no complaints from me.