PDA

View Full Version : Favourite comedys

angela5
28-Feb-06, 02:08
There just not the same as they used to be...

I loved Steptoe & Son..:lol:

Laurel & Hardy..:lol:

George & Mildred..[lol]

Anyone else with any old-time Favourites?

willowbankbear
28-Feb-06, 02:12
Harold Lloyd
Laurel & Hardy
McCoist & Macauley[lol]
the young ones

Rheghead
28-Feb-06, 03:12
Political correctness is the biggest killer to comedy.

My Favorites are

Dad's Army
2 Ronnies
Early Doors
Open All hours
Young ones
Not the 9 o clock news
Black Adder 1-4

wickerinca
28-Feb-06, 04:00
The Alf Garnett one
Steptoe and Son
Are you being served
Two Ronnies
It ain't half hot Mum

and who can forget Morecambe and Wise?

star
28-Feb-06, 09:40
Shameless
Fawlty Towers
Everybody loves Raymond
Early Doors

krieve
28-Feb-06, 11:35
Laurel & Hardy
Fawlty Towers
Shameless
Dad's Army
Mr bean
men behaving badly

Bingobabe
28-Feb-06, 11:44
1)one foot in the grave
2)king of queens
3)who could forget the golden girls
4)two pints of lager and packet of crisps
5)keeping up apperances:p

erli
28-Feb-06, 11:48
I don't really watch much televison, but without a doubt my favourite is Blackadder, series 2 being the best, but I enjoy them all.

Whitewater
28-Feb-06, 11:56
One foot in the grave (It rings rather true for me, or so my son tells me)
The two Ronnies
Only fools and horses
Black Adder

pedromcgrory
28-Feb-06, 12:25
some mothers do ave them

Saveman
28-Feb-06, 12:37
Loads of favourites:
Father Ted
Faulty Towers
Laurel & Hardy
Anything by the Marx Brothers (apart from Karl :lol:)

Really enjoying the Mighty Boosh.....very "out there!"

krieve
28-Feb-06, 13:22
How could i forget two pints of lager and a packet of crisps and some mothers do ave them and only fools and horses lol

2little2late
28-Feb-06, 13:54
Love Thy Neighbour.
Open All Hours
Man About The house
Citizen Smith
George and Mildred

obiron
28-Feb-06, 16:22
shameless
the royle family
one foot in the grave
father ted
early doors

RandomHero
28-Feb-06, 16:23
Most of the ones mentioned are great so I don't want to repeat them. But you've forgotten one of the best - 'Allo, Allo'

Saveman
28-Feb-06, 16:24
....and of course Monty Python :lol:

angela5
28-Feb-06, 19:49
The royal family
George and mildred
Faulty towers
Some mothers do ave them
one foot in the grave

landmarker
28-Feb-06, 19:55
....and of course Monty Python :lol:

I loved it at the time, not now when I see the re-runs, somehow.Not quite so funny somehow. I think the zaniness, and the times added to the fun back then.

So many people have mentionewd are classics - Steptoe for instance & Dad's Army.

Of the modern crop 'Early Doors' & 'The Office' are head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion.

misty woman
28-Feb-06, 20:00
Father ted and the royle family are definately my favourites.I could watch them over and over again.

wickerinca
28-Feb-06, 20:51
I love Father Ted and it is on here at the moment. I record it for some of my neighbours as they don't get the right channel.........and they love it!!!
One Foot in the Grave was hilarious and Keeping Up Appearances........my hubby calls me "Hyacinth":o

DrSzin
28-Feb-06, 21:59
Keeping Up Appearances........my hubby calls me "Hyacinth":oHyacinth? Or Hyacinca? Lol lol lol.

I've just had the most bizarre vision of a certain Mrs Bucket on a bicycle called George, replete with coat, hat, handbag and gloves - pedalling like crazy, clutching on to the handlebars with one hand, and trying to keep hold of a glass of sherry with the other. :lol:

On a less frivolous note...

Fawlty Towers still does it for me. If I were a funny man, I would have to be John Cleese.

Landmarker, I am the same with the Pythons - I still love them, but I prefer my memories...

Of the recent crop, My Family and My Hero come to mind immediately. Ardal O'Hanlon doesn't even have to say anything to make me laugh.

One of my best mates is turning into Victor Meldrew at an alarming rate - you should have heard him complaining about his builders last night.

teddybear1873
28-Feb-06, 22:10
Porridge
Only fools and horses
Love thy neighbour
Man about the house
On the buses
Father dear father
Bless this House
etc etc etc

Cant beat the old classics

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Feb-06, 22:16
Agree wi you all on the one's ye have suggested.My all time favourite is Absolutely that used to be on Channel Four.Shadwell and the cooncil fae Stoneybridge...makes me laugh to this day.:D

Foxy
28-Feb-06, 23:56
Bless this house with Sid James
Keeping up appearances
Allo Allo

grantyg
01-Mar-06, 20:24
Father Ted
Black Books
Spaced
Peter Kay

knightofeth
01-Mar-06, 20:28
Red Dwarf and Father Ted are fantastic.
More recently I enjoy watching Scrubs.. tis really funny :)

connieb19
01-Mar-06, 20:30
Father Ted
Black Books
Spaced
Peter KaySorry, but am I the only one who does not find peter kay in the slightest bit funny? In fact I just can't stand him..[mad]

knightofeth
01-Mar-06, 20:32
Sorry, but am I the only one who does not find peter kay in the slightest bit funny? In fact I just can't stand him..[mad]

I can't stand him either.. I am forced to watch dvds of him when I visit my aunt's house but argh it is awful!! Not funny at all.

Saveman
01-Mar-06, 20:35
Father Ted
Black Books
Spaced
Peter Kay

How could I forget "Spaced"??
Brilliant program!

Alice in Blunderland
01-Mar-06, 21:27
Loads of memmories coming back now I also liked:
The good life
To the manor born
:roll: God Im starting to feel old when Im looking back on these programmes.

knightofeth
01-Mar-06, 21:49
Loads of memmories coming back now I also liked:
The good life
To the manor born
:roll: God Im starting to feel old when Im looking back on these programmes.

ooh the good life. I like that programme. Never seen the other one though

Whitewater
02-Mar-06, 00:19
I love Father Ted and it is on here at the moment. I record it for some of my neighbours as they don't get the right channel.........and they love it!!!
One Foot in the Grave was hilarious and Keeping Up Appearances........my hubby calls me "Hyacinth":o

Good choice. I wonder if that is a compliment from your hubby? Ha ha !!

ice box
02-Mar-06, 00:34
shameless
little britain
only fools and horses
my name is earl

wickerinca
02-Mar-06, 15:02
Good choice. I wonder if that is a compliment from your hubby? Ha ha !!

Don't think so:p [lol] ........ and Hyacinca....Oh! you are sooo smart Dr Szin:p

canuck
02-Mar-06, 15:51
Our range of British Comedy programming is somewhat limited. The Public Broadcast Channel from Buffalo takes a poll once a year and from that chooses what to buy and air.
About a year ago I discovered "My Hero" and quite enjoy it.
Is Red Dwarf still produced or do you get only reruns? That was fun.
And my all time favorite is "The Vicar of Dibley". You have no idea how authentic it is.

weefee
02-Mar-06, 16:48
:lol:

im with grant on this one, spaced, black books (in fact anything which has bill bailey) father ted, I like Married with Children when i was younger, Al Bundy, The Day Today was also very funny (scorchio - it is not today!)

flyfifer
02-Mar-06, 17:40
Agree wi you all on the one's ye have suggested.My all time favourite is Absolutely that used to be on Channel Four.Shadwell and the cooncil fae Stoneybridge...makes me laugh to this day.:D

We LOVED that series - they didn't make enough of them. All the characters were brilliant. The welsh couple, the schoolgirl, Calum Gilhooley....lovely memories flooding back! Wish they'd repeat it!!

DrSzin
02-Mar-06, 17:53
I don't think Red Dwarf has been produced for years.

I love the Vicar of Dibley too. It has soo many brilliant characters.

I now have an image of Wickerinca as Hyacinth and Canuck as the Reverend Geraldine Granger...

I feel a new thread coming on... "Which comedy character would you be?"

You already know who I'd be...

Saveman
02-Mar-06, 17:57
I forgot:

Alan Partridge
The Day Today
Brass Eye

canuck
02-Mar-06, 18:16
I feel a new thread coming on... "Which comedy character would you be?"

You already know who I'd be...
[/SIZE]

.... would that be Dr Who? I am guessing here in reference to the dashing good looks which the orgers insist you possess.

canuck
02-Mar-06, 18:19
I now have an image of Wickerinca as Hyacinth and Canuck as the Reverend Geraldine Granger...

Gosh, wickerinca, if that is what he thinks we better get serious with the bike and the swimming.

Tymey
02-Mar-06, 18:25
Is Red Dwarf still produced or do you get only reruns? That was fun.

The last series I felt was not that good. I think this was largely due to the facts that one of the original writers didn't get involved and also that Chris Barrie who played the character Rimmer wouldn't/couldn't sign up for all episodes of the season.

There has been talk on and off for a few years now about a Hollywood movie but it seems to have gone quite on that front too....

Tymey
02-Mar-06, 18:31
I forgot to add - a great comedy.....Frasier....one of the most well written and funniest programs ever.

canuck
02-Mar-06, 18:36
How could I forget Hamish MacBeth. That is a staple in my collection of responses to family and friends when they ask "what was life like in the Highlands."

Billy Boy
02-Mar-06, 18:37
some of my favs are .auf wiedersehen pet.bread.last of the summer wine.and cannot forget tooltime.

Tymey
02-Mar-06, 18:38
How could I forget Hamish MacBeth. That is a staple in my collection of responses to family and friends when they ask "what was life like in the Highlands."

Which reminds me I loved the Para Handy series with Gregor Fisher and Rikki Fulton. I dunno if it is classed as comedy or not but it made me smile.

DrSzin
02-Mar-06, 21:01
Gosh, wickerinca, if that is what he thinks we better get serious with the bike and the swimming.Lol, I didn't mean it physically. :o

.... would that be Dr Who? I am guessing here in reference to the dashing good looks which the orgers insist you possess. Which Dr Who? I hope you're not suggesting William Hartnell or the one that degenerated into Worzel Gummidge?

No, I would be John Cleese in Fawlty Towers. I don't know why, but I've just had a mental image of wickerinca as Polly and Rheghead as Manuel. Who would play Sybil and the Major?

Time for that new thread methinks...

canuck
02-Mar-06, 23:40
Which Dr Who?

I would have to go with the fifth incarnation, Peter Davison, because that is the era when I watched the show. :grin:

unicorn
02-Mar-06, 23:42
I loved Roseanne, what an amazingly dysfunctional family.

angela5
03-Mar-06, 00:05
I loved Roseanne, what an amazingly dysfunctional family.

oh! i forgot about that i loved it..pity its not shown now on sky tv..

Sporran
03-Mar-06, 03:09
Lol, I didn't mean it physically. :o

Which Dr Who? I hope you're not suggesting William Hartnell or the one that degenerated into Worzel Gummidge?

No, I would be John Cleese in Fawlty Towers. I don't know why, but I've just had a mental image of wickerinca as Polly and Rheghead as Manuel. Who would play Sybil and the Major?

Time for that new thread methinks...OK, I'll volunteer to be Sybil. I quite fancy the idea of bossing Basil around, lol! ;) I'm going to be watching Fawlty Towers on BBC America tonight. That should help me get into character! :lol:

WeeBurd
03-Mar-06, 08:39
If it's an old one you're after, what about Rising Damp?

wickerinca
07-Mar-06, 03:25
Gosh, wickerinca, if that is what he thinks we better get serious with the bike and the swimming.

Better get my best corset on and give the pearls a polish!!!

wickerinca
07-Mar-06, 03:27
I forgot to add - a great comedy.....Frasier....one of the most well written and funniest programs ever.

Have to agree with you tymey!! Frasier is sadly missed! I wonder what Eddie is doing now?

canuck
07-Mar-06, 03:58
Have to agree with you tymey!! Frasier is sadly missed! I wonder what Eddie is doing now?

Welcome back wickerinca. I thought that Eddie lived with paris.