PDA

View Full Version : Muirburn:

nirofo
15-Apr-09, 21:55
Muirburn:

Now that it's Spring and the wildlife has started this years new breeding season, it's prompted the morons and other idiots to crawl out of the woodwork where they've kept their alchohol soaked heads. They make the annual pilgrimage to the heaths and moorlands of Caithness and Sutherland where they ritually throw down lighted matches and casually walk (stagger) away, the pleasure they get from watching these beautifull moorlands go up in smoke, along with all the wildlife living on it knows no bounds. They get extra pleasure when the fire engines turn up and the firemen struggle to douse the huge fires. They know they are safe, the Police won't do anything about it even though they know who the culprits are, after all, they've been getting away with it for years and their fathers before them ??? They've done a magnificent job, nearly every bit of decent heather along the noth coast of Sutherland has been burnt down to the peat and destroyed many rare bird nesting sites. Why should they care if it will take years or never for the heather to grow back and of course they've managed to get rid of the Hen Harriers, Merlins, Short-eared Owls, various Waders, Larks and Pipits into the bargain.

nirofo.

Kenn
15-Apr-09, 22:15
What a tragedy for both counties that so much heathland has been destroyed and one of it's main tourist attractions decimated.
I wonder how much this will be reflected in the economy when the walkers,birdwatchers,photographers and other visitors are driven from the area?

DeHaviLand
15-Apr-09, 22:16
Muirburn:

Now that it's Spring and the wildlife has started this years new breeding season, it's prompted the morons and other idiots to crawl out of the woodwork where they've kept their alchohol soaked heads. They make the annual pilgrimage to the heaths and moorlands of Caithness and Sutherland where they ritually throw down lighted matches and casually walk (stagger) away, the pleasure they get from watching these beautifull moorlands go up in smoke, along with all the wildlife living on it knows no bounds. They get extra pleasure when the fire engines turn up and the firemen struggle to douse the huge fires. They know they are safe, the Police won't do anything about it even though they know who the culprits are, after all, they've been getting away with it for years and their fathers before them ??? They've done a magnificent job, nearly every bit of decent heather along the noth coast of Sutherland has been burnt down to the peat and destroyed many rare bird nesting sites. Why should they care if it will take years or never for the heather to grow back and of course they've managed to get rid of the Hen Harriers, Merlins, Short-eared Owls, various Waders, Larks and Pipits into the bargain.

nirofo.

My, my. What strong accusations and sweeping statements you make on a subject that you so obviously know nothing about. Your post falls as close to moronic as anything I've ever seen.

nirofo
16-Apr-09, 01:12
My, my. What strong accusations and sweeping statements you make on a subject that you so obviously know nothing about. Your post falls as close to moronic as anything I've ever seen.

I could make even stronger allegations about the mindless morons who set these murderous fires, you'll also be surprised to know that I know a helluva lot more about it than you think. And while we're on the subject, you obviously are in favour of the mindless and moronic burning fever that occurs every year about this time, maybe you're one of them ???

The old excuse that it's to clear the ground to make way for new growth is a load of rubbish, perpetuated over many years by people who should have known better. The heather in the north of Scotland is in a very poor state to start with for various reasons which are well documented if you care to look, the false assumption that it encourages new growth is a fallacy up here. You only have to look on the keepered estates where CONTROLLED BURNING as opposed to MINDLESS BURNING is carried out, to realise that the heather is just not re-growing, ask the keepers, they'll tell you. There are many areas of moorland patch burning that are still bare after nearly 20 years, have a tour round the keepered estates and look at the heather, you'll see what I mean, parts of the moor are like a patchwork quilt, just bare! The old chestnut that it encourages the growth of fresh grasses for the sheep doesn't hold much water these days either, most of the sheep have gone from the hill now that the government subsidies have been removed.

Incidentally, did you know that it's a criminal offence to wilfully disturb or destroy a Schedule One Protected Species of bird while it's on it's breeding territory during the nesting season. There are, (or is it were now) several species on Dunnet Head that are in that category. If the police ever decide to do something about the criminal act of arson perpetrated on Dunnet Head and elsewhere, then they can add the protected wildlife destruction offence to it.

nirofo.

Aaldtimer
16-Apr-09, 03:27
[quote=nirofo;534017]I could make even stronger allegations about the mindless morons who set these murderous fires, you'll also be surprised to know that I know a helluva lot more about it than you think. And while we're on the subject, you obviously are in favour of the mindless and moronic burning fever that occurs every year about this time, maybe you're one of them ???

I'm sure nobody is in favour of this happening nirofo, but I can't recall that this happens on a regular basis!
Every year?
Surely some mistake?:confused

Kenn
18-Apr-09, 17:34
Is it still legal to burn heather moors and if so is n't it about time that this was questioned?

The inference from nirofo's post would be that under certain controlled circumstances it still can be.

Have never witnessed a heath fire but have seen the devastating after effects and whether naturally, accidently or deliberately started, the enviroment is often damaged to such an extent that it never fully recovers.

Deviating slightly, is it still legal to burn stubble in Scotland?
I have witnessed a burn that went seriously wrong and the wall of fire that almost engulfed a whole suburb.That was scary when looking out of the window there was a semi-circle of fire right round the rim of the valley.

DeHaviLand
18-Apr-09, 17:51
Yes Lizz, it is legal, and is governed by a very strict code of practice, and within a strict time frame. It also has to be controlled. Its not a matter of throwing a match and walking away as Nirofo appears to think. And contrary to Nirofos poisoned view, its not carried out by drunkards either. It is an essential part of moorland management, not a wanton act of arson.

Tighsonas4
18-Apr-09, 19:10
as far as i can remember there was definetly a stipulated time for controlled burning of heather and it definetly wouldnt be in the nesting season tony

Kenn
18-Apr-09, 19:17
Thankyou both for your answers.
The county I originate from has more than it's fair share of moorland but burning it has not been an option within several lifetimes although there are programmes to keep bracken and gorse in check.
It is however legal to burn under very strict conditions and only during the months of November through to March.

nirofo
19-Apr-09, 02:13
Yes Lizz, it is legal, and is governed by a very strict code of practice, and within a strict time frame. It also has to be controlled. Its not a matter of throwing a match and walking away as Nirofo appears to think. And contrary to Nirofos poisoned view, its not carried out by drunkards either. It is an essential part of moorland management, not a wanton act of arson.

I never said it wasn't legal to carry out controlled burning where it can be proved to be beneficial and will not cause severe destruction to wildlife and habitat. What I was pointing out was that the mindless uncontrolled burning that is carried out by certain people in Caithness and even more so in north Sutherland, very often outwith the legal burning timeframe, does absolutely nothing for the heather, the wildlife or the habitat and is a criminal act. As for the drunken arsonists, certain persons to the west of Caithness are well known for their activities with a match and have done untold amounts of damage to the hill. Parts of the hill are now so badly burned that the bare rock is showing through the peat, many protected Schedule One Special birds of prey and many other species have had their breeding territories totally destroyed, probably forever. On the other hand the people who carry out controlled burning as part of their moorland management duties, usually keepers, in order to keep the heather in good condition and encourage further growth, have been finding it very difficult for many years now to see any improvement in the heather at all. As I mentioned previously, the heather in the north of Scotland is generaly in a very poor state, it has suffered from various infestations and diseases that have prevented it's re-generation. Years of overgrazing by deer and sheep, not to mention afforestation have also taken their toll, rather than destroying the heather by wanton burning we should be doing all we can to ensure it survises and flourishes. The misguided idea that the heather should be burned to allow for fresh grasses to grow should not even be contemplated in this day and age where natural habitat is being destroyed almost everywhere. The heather is a far more valuable commodity and is a unique habitat for many rare species of wildlife and plants. It's beauty also attracts many tourists who come to Scotland from worlwide, especially for the fantastic open vista views, the habitat and it's wildlife, it's very special, lets keep it that way!

nirofo.

Kenn
19-Apr-09, 10:12
Thank you nirofo for your post, you state much that is known amongst those of us who treasure our environment albeit that man has had a big hand in how it appears today.
What amazes me is that there are a few people who look at the great expanses of the flow country and see it as wasted space, they do not consider it's uniqueness and the habitat it provides which as you point out, attracts visitors from all over the world.
I fully appreciate that when you live in such a place one can take it for granted but it is quite obvious there are many who do not and like yourself get very upset when there is a disaster such as happened at Dunnet Head.

bekisman
19-Apr-09, 20:46
Oh well looks like some prat has decided to set fire to the grass south of Strathy, we're shutting the windows now..

stixie
20-Apr-09, 14:11
(QUOTE) I'm sure nobody is in favour of this happening nirofo, but I can't recall that this happens on a regular basis!
Every year?
Surely some mistake?

It is without a doubt a yearly occurance and a very expensive one at that. As a fire fighter who is out day and night at these things i guarantee that this has happened year in year out for as long as I can rememeber. Certainly Sutherland more than Caithness though!

I have never heard of it been done to promote new heather growth, it has always been (up with us anyways) crofters trying to get rid of the heather and get fresh grass to grow on the hills.

Yes the police know who do it! But nothing is done about it. Meanwhile for every call out it must cost around £500+ for every appliance that turns out.

I don't agree nor disagree with it. But one thing i will say is that the old traditions of burning to make better grazing for hill sheep/cows/deer is being forgotten and kids are jumping on the bank wagon and lighting patches beside the road wherever they can be bothered to stop.

This year especially we are finding we need to protect houses/churches where vandals have lit the surrounding heather/whins and also we're called to stop smoke from impairing visibility on the roads. Burning these areas are not "beneficial" to anyone they are simply moronic as mentioned before.

And as is said by most, the legal burning frame for "controlled burning" has now passed by almost a week!

DeHaviLand
20-Apr-09, 21:20
Stixie, what you're referring to ( and possibly Nirofo too) is arson. We shouldn't be comparing that to the legal practice of Muirburn.

Kenn
20-Apr-09, 23:27
stixiie,you have my sincere sympathies and admiration for the effort you have to put into combatting heath fires.
I appreciate that making a conviction for the arsonists must be very difficult ....but if successful may be the punishment should be that they should accompany you on the next call out to such a fire.
Might teach them to respect the envirnoment but some how I doubt it.

Aaldtimer
21-Apr-09, 02:26
(QUOTE) I'm sure nobody is in favour of this happening nirofo, but I can't recall that this happens on a regular basis!
Every year?
Surely some mistake?

It is without a doubt a yearly occurance and a very expensive one at that. As a fire fighter who is out day and night at these things i guarantee that this has happened year in year out for as long as I can rememeber. Certainly Sutherland more than Caithness though!

I have never heard of it been done to promote new heather growth, it has always been (up with us anyways) crofters trying to get rid of the heather and get fresh grass to grow on the hills.

Yes the police know who do it! But nothing is done about it. Meanwhile for every call out it must cost around £500+ for every appliance that turns out.

I don't agree nor disagree with it. But one thing i will say is that the old traditions of burning to make better grazing for hill sheep/cows/deer is being forgotten and kids are jumping on the bank wagon and lighting patches beside the road wherever they can be bothered to stop.

This year especially we are finding we need to protect houses/churches where vandals have lit the surrounding heather/whins and also we're called to stop smoke from impairing visibility on the roads. Burning these areas are not "beneficial" to anyone they are simply moronic as mentioned before.

And as is said by most, the legal burning frame for "controlled burning" has now passed by almost a week!

I was referring to Dunnet Head actually.
I don't seem to remember this being a regular problem there.
I willing to admit being mistaken if this is the case though.:confused

stixie
21-Apr-09, 09:57
Dehaviland i do not believe i was comparing anything! Auldtimer i can't fathom out from your post how it was to be assumed you were talking about Dunnet Head solely.

Now reminded why i rarely comment on the org!

Thank you Lizz, very much appreciated.

bekisman
12-May-09, 22:18
Seems someone does not know that muirburn dates are well gone - if anyone in Armadale is wondering where the smoke is coming from it's from a well alight area, to the east of Brawl, we've just seen the fire engine coming along Strathy Point presumably trying to reach it..