PDA

View Full Version : Breast feedin or bottle feeding?

Vistravi
15-Apr-09, 16:37
I've heard many people say how good breast feeding is over bottle feeding and i've been told by a mother of 4(breast feed one child, bottle feed the other 3) that it doesn't matter which one you do as it doesn't affect the child.
We all know that its nature for women to breast feed but how many women actually do it? Through choice or being forced to by pushy midwives?
Parents i know well have told me that when their second child came along the nurses were constanty asking now are you going to breast feed or bottle feed? His wife wanted to breast feed and on hearing this every nurse was delighted and went over the top with enthusasum(spelling) at how good it is.
Its down to choice and i know already that i won't breast feed as really not comfortable with anything near mine.
Does anyone know anyone who's become a victim of pushy midwives or feel its a good thing or have any pros to bottle feeding apart from that it allows mum a rest and dad or grandmother or grandfather to feed the bairn instead?

Its an odd thread, i know. but i'm sure some of you all ready know i'm randam anyway.:)

Sandra_B
15-Apr-09, 16:53
I breastfed both my kids. It was my choice. As soon as I knew I was pregnant there was no doubt in my mind that I would breastfeed. Breast is best in my opinion.

ShelleyCowie
15-Apr-09, 16:53
I have done both. From when i found out i was pregnant i was determined to breast feed. I fed Athrun til he was about 6 weeks old. Expressed sometimes too but got mastitus (sp) and had alot of other problems due to not being shown how to latch him on. The pain became unbearable so in the end i stopped.

I never felt uncomfortable feeding infront of people. And i never feel uncomfortable with other people breast feeding infront of me.

When i changed athrun to the bottle he was not too fussed. It was me that was bothered. I felt i had lost the bond with him but nope, its still there! He is still a mummy's boy for sure! :D

If i have a 2nd child (in the future obviously) then i will try and get more support in feeding.

But everyone is different. :)

Kodiak
15-Apr-09, 17:09
My Wife Bottle both our sons, she did Not want to Breat Feed under any circumstances. Both of our Sons were fed on SMA Gold Cap and they thrived on it.

One is 34 Years and is a strapping 6 foot 1 inch and highly intelligent. The other son is a Strapping 6 foot 3 inches and even more intelligent. Both are Married to Lovely Girls and my Oldest has two of the most Beautiful Daughters you have ever seen. See Picture below.

On Saying that I still say that Breast Feeding is best but Bottle Feeding is not as bad as some would make out.

PS Both of my Sons Daughters were Breast Fed :D

http://i41.tinypic.com/t62c8z.jpg

christina
15-Apr-09, 17:17
I breast feed my son but had to stop after 2 months as I lost so much weight that was 11 years ago. Just had another son 4 weeks ago and Im breast feeding him aswell its going well. He also gets 2 bottles a day one at lunchtime and one for daddy to give him :) at bed time as hes a hungry boy. And Im trying to keep a bit of weight on that I gained in pregnancy. Its totally my choice to breast feed both times as I love the closeness bond that you get with feeding them. Its also got good health benefits for the mother and child.

emszxr
15-Apr-09, 17:18
i have breastfed all my 3 kids. i am very much for breast feeding.
i do find it difficult to understand why a mother wouldnt breastfeed. if the mother is healthy and has a good diet then breast feeding is the best for baby. we were given breasts to feed our young, not for any other reason.
so why not use them for that.

waiting for the backlash:lol:

woofit
15-Apr-09, 17:31
Ok...some benefits of bottle feeding...I think bottle fed babies take longer to digest the milk than those that are breast fed, so need fed less often. Bottle feeding is perhaps more acceptable in public despite campaigns to change public perception. You at least know how much your baby is getting if they are bottle fed. The mother does not need to watch her diet for fear of consuming too many onions, orange juice, alcohol etc. Also for those on medication, you don't need to worry (any more than usual lol). Those big tins the baby milk comes in are awfully handy for storing things in :-) If you choose to bottle feed your baby, then your midwife (hopefully) will not ask to see your nipples lol. Ok I'm struggling to come up with any more...maybe someone else can though?

I did choose to breastfeed however, as the benefits do far outweigh the negatives...and purely because I'm of a lazy nature, and faffing aboot in the early hours of the morning did not appeal to me!

Midwives and nurses can be pushy if you let them. On the whole though, I found them very helpful and whilst in the hospital after having my baby, they were also very respectful of giving me space to try feeding myself without any 'helpful' interruptions. It is a choice though, and nobody should be made to feel guilty for their decision.

ett23
15-Apr-09, 17:48
I think the main benefit of breastfeeding (for the baby) is the antibodies you're giving your child which boost their immune system - these are really concentrated in the colostrum which is what you produce before the milk comes in (on the 3rd or 4th day I think!), but also the milk has the same antibodies too. Plus breastmilk is designed especially for human babies - powdered cows milk is not, which is why it takes longer for babies to digest and sadly the tendency is to give the baby more than it's stomach is supposed to take at one sitting in the hopes that it will sleep longer and give them more peace!! But sometimes it just ends up giving them a sore stomach... :~( However, with breast milk this isn't going to happen because the baby only drinks as much as it needs to drink - however long that takes is up to the baby! Plus bottle milk is always the same consistency, whereas the fore milk from the breast is relatively watery and thirst quenching but the hind milk is thicker and creamier with more fat and calcium, etc.
As you've probably guessed I breast fed both my girls and would do it again if I had another one. I was never pushed into it by midwives or health visitors (in the Tain area) and had a lot of support when I needed it. I couldn't praise the NHS more highly in my experience, but I know other women have had different experiences and feel very sad about that. It's wrong for health professionals to force or push mothers into doing something they're not happy or comfortable with even though they know it's the best thing for them and their baby. At the end of the day it's a personal decision and should be left up to them entirely to make. If they decide one way or the other they should be given support as appropriate. :D

Vistravi
15-Apr-09, 17:49
i do find it difficult to understand why a mother wouldnt breastfeed. if the mother is healthy and has a good diet then breast feeding is the best for baby. we were given breasts to feed our young, not for any other reason.

Aye emszxr some wome are just blessed/cursed with big ones;)

I can see your point and your right about nature. But as a woman who won't be doing it due to personal choice and because i'm shy about showing my body off. I don't care when wearing a low cut topcos if you've got it flaunt it, but i wear leggings when i wear short skirts and won't let anyone other than other man apart from my partner see me without clothes and that counts the doctor as well. Has to be a female doctor for me. My firends would tell you i'm far from shy but i'm am when it comes to my body.

Blondie
15-Apr-09, 17:53
All your modesty will be out the window once you go through labour and childbirth :lol:

starry
15-Apr-09, 17:58
I have never seen more than a glimpse of flesh when anyone is breastfeeding, most folk are pretty discreet, so I wouldn't let the thought your body is going to be out on show put you off Vis.

shazzy
15-Apr-09, 17:59
I couldnt breast feed my first son as he was very early and in special care but I was encouraged to express to give him antibodies,went on to bottle feed.I decided to bottle feed my second son,just didnt feel comfortable doing it,but I felt the nurses looked down on me from then on.Both are now strong and well over six foot tall men,they did fine.Its very much a personal choice,baby wont benefit if you're stressed and not enjoying the time together,go with the flow!!:D

ett23
15-Apr-09, 18:19
I have never seen more than a glimpse of flesh when anyone is breastfeeding, most folk are pretty discreet, so I wouldn't let the thought your body is going to be out on show put you off Vis.

Have to agree with you starry, I was always discreet when feeding in front of other people. I didn't want to make them feel uncomfortable about seeing 'too much'. And I didn't want to needlessly embarras myself either! ;)

daviddd
15-Apr-09, 20:31
I can't see or understand how anyone could be offended by seeing a mother feeding her baby - feed away ladies! I would imagine that it warms most folk's heart to see it, it certainly does mine (breast fed for 14 months I believe and now a strapping 6-footer!) and in my experience it's always been done discreetly. Never heed!

Dadie
15-Apr-09, 20:40
I breast fed Lauren and I am still breast feeding Iona.
I chose to do this because it has benefits for both the mother and the baby.
Plus I couldnt be bothered with all the faffing around with making up bottles, sterilising equipment, heating up bottles and going through to the kitchen in the middle of the night to get a bottle business.

Just pick the babe up unclip bra and you are sorted!

Doesnt show off your boobs much at all but if embarassed wear a cardi or a shawl or drape a blankie or muslin over yourself when out and about!

mrsinkstack
15-Apr-09, 20:43
Fed my three kids untill they were all a year and I felt lost for weeks after I stopped. I would never force my opinions on any new Mothers as it is such a stressful time anyway but I feel that there is so much more benefits from breast feeding - cost, obviously cheaper, milk is already at the correct temperature, gives the baby all the antibodies they need to ward off illnesses, reduces the mothers risk of developing certain cancers, it brought me closer to my kids and it makes you sit down and relax for a while rather than rushing around and letting someone else feed them for you and night feeds were so easy.
Obviously Dad can miss out but if you express, then he doesn't have to. I was always discreet feeding my kids, didn't see a thing, so both my modesty, along with the people around me were saved. Most importantly - it's natural ;)
Not great for a night out, went to a wedding once, had a few drams and the baby was conked for hours - not good. You have to be careful what you eat, gave him a serious dose of the skits when I had a curry and cauliflower isn't great either but it does develop your babies sense of taste, mine are all good eaters as they've had 'tasters' in their breast milk.
I love a pregnant bump and I love seeing a mother feeding her baby, makes my hair stand on end and I would have had more if I could have !

Julia
15-Apr-09, 20:45
I've spent a total of three and a half years breastfeeding and I am still feeding my son morning and night.

www.caithnessbreastfriends.org.uk has a wealth of information about breastfeeding and can offer support locally for new mums or anyone needing advice regarding breastfeeding, they have a 'Breastfeeding fone-a-friend directory' in operation so anyone can ring or meet up for a chat anytime.

squidge
15-Apr-09, 21:48
I have very successfully breast fed three out of four of my babies, bottle feeding the last one as he WOULD NOT breast feed for anything. It matters not one iota which you do.The important thing is to have a happy mum and a happy and contented baby. Whichever you choose dont beat yourself up about it. if breast is best for the baby but making you sore, unhappy,worried and miserable then its not best at all. Whilst breast feeding does give baby the antibodies you have in your milk and is convenient ( ohhhhhhhh never to have to sterilise a bottle:roll:) and a wonderful closeness i dont beleive i missed out by having to feed my littleo ne with a bottle. He is healthy and happy and thats the important thing

balto
15-Apr-09, 21:57
i have breast feed all my kids, i am lucky i have never had a problem, i feel its a bonding time for mother and baby, i would never consider anything, else, and have alway known how i was going to feed my baby right from 1st finding out i was pregnant, so never had to suffer pushy midwifes lol.

NLP
15-Apr-09, 22:53
I was going to bottle feed until I came across a disapproving midwife in the end I breast fed and I must say it was the best thing I ever did, fed the wee one for 16 1/2 months (thanks), at first I was to shy to do it in front of folk but I soon got over that.

Ricco
16-Apr-09, 08:18
We all know the benefits of breast feeding, though a disadvantage is that hubby cannot do his stint. Personally, I have never understood our embarrasment over breast feeding in public - such a natural thing to do. On the side, I once saw a great T-shirt on a busty woman that proudly declared "Twin life support systems". :D

DM07
16-Apr-09, 08:57

I agrre with emszxr. I breastfed both mine for a year and no midwife pushed me to do it. When having difficulties in the first few days with my first one actually said you dont have to breastfeed! However I did HAVE to as it is the most natural thing on the planet. So is bottle feeding nowadays. I had no problems breastfeeding and either did my children. Its up to the mother to decide.

*Martin*
16-Apr-09, 09:42
I bottle fed, tried strappin her to my breast but she was obviously lazy as she never took a drop from me.

DarkAngel
16-Apr-09, 10:45
I Bottle Fed My Son.. I Just did fancy breastfeeding at all.. Plus my partner could also do his share of the feeding.
My son is a lovely health happy 3 year old.

justine
16-Apr-09, 12:50
I have breast fed all my children except my last. He fefused to take the breast and infact had many problems trying to feed out of a bottle.
Now all the others that ave been breast fed have been healthy children, never had anything more than a cold or normal childhood infections.

Cyrus was born on time, no problems but would not breastfeed, he has had nothing but health problems since,been hospitalised with chest complaints, so i have to say there must be something in the facts about breast milk. They get the immunity from the colostrum which is produced for 3-4 days before the fore milk is produced.
I still and will always believe that breast is best, but as i found out not all babies will take the breast.

Midwives will say that all babies will feed off the breast, and i used to agree until Cyrus who point blank refused to latch on.

So its an individual choise of breast or bottle and i dont think women should feel that they have to breast feed.Do what you feel is the best for you and your baby.

Vistravi
16-Apr-09, 13:46
I bottle fed, tried strappin her to my breast but she was obviously lazy as she never took a drop from me.

Maybe youd didn't have the right kind of equipment martin;) lol
(I'm only assuming ure a guy from ur previous posts;))

squidge
16-Apr-09, 15:20
I have breast fed all my children except my last. He fefused to take the breast and infact had many problems trying to feed out of a bottle.
Now all the others that ave been breast fed have been healthy children, never had anything more than a cold or normal childhood infections.

Cyrus was born on time, no problems but would not breastfeed, he has had nothing but health problems since,been hospitalised with chest complaints, so i have to say there must be something in the facts about breast milk. They get the immunity from the colostrum which is produced for 3-4 days before the fore milk is produced.
I still and will always believe that breast is best, but as i found out not all babies will take the breast.

I have to offer an alternative point of view though Justine which hopefully underlines how all babies are different. I too had problems breast feeding my last baby. He would latch on ok, was fit and healthy but just looked at me with a "and what am i supposed to do with this" look. He took nothing. So, for the first time i brought a new baby home and bottle fed him completely. He has had no problems at all, no chest infections, tummy upsets or anything, he is following all his developmental line thingies in that red book, he is as bright as anything and despite the other boys and us bringing colds home and bugs home he sails through them without so much as a sniffle. I think he would have been the same had he been breast fed.

I have to admit to a certain fondness for four hourly feeds though - blimey I couldnt beleive it, evenings without having to feed constantly i didnt know what to do with myself!!!!

Vistravi
16-Apr-09, 15:25
Think the underliying point here is that every child is different and what they get feed at the start of their life may not matter at all. Theres jus no way to be sure as time travel is only possible on tv;)

justine
16-Apr-09, 15:32
I have to offer an alternative point of view though Justine which hopefully underlines how all babies are different. I too had problems breast feeding my last baby. He would latch on ok, was fit and healthy but just looked at me with a "and what am i supposed to do with this" look. He took nothing. So, for the first time i brought a new baby home and bottle fed him completely. He has had no problems at all, no chest infections, tummy upsets or anything, he is following all his developmental line thingies in that red book, he is as bright as anything and despite the other boys and us bringing colds home and bugs home he sails through them without so much as a sniffle. I think he would have been the same had he been breast fed.

I have to admit to a certain fondness for four hourly feeds though - blimey I couldnt beleive it, evenings without having to feed constantly i didnt know what to do with myself!!!!

I have found out that all kids are not the same, and i wish that cyrus had been able to feed off me, but he holds a bottle strange, he flips his tongue and bends the bottle teat making it impossible to feed him. His chest infections have been a problem since getting bronchiolitis which is now expected.
I just got thinking of why he is so poorly when all the others have been fine. He is on the 91st centinil for height in the red book and well above average in weight,for a 5mth old, hes more the size of a 9mth old, so he is also developing well, but for the chest problems. the only thing between him and the others is he was not breast fed.

Have to agree about the hourly feeds, i seemed to be constantly feeding , but i mangaed twins and i was happy with that.

I have three on soya due to milk allergies, so have a very open mind when it comes to this.:D

Sun Circle
16-Apr-09, 20:47
Aye emszxr some wome are just blessed/cursed with big ones;)

I can see your point and your right about nature. But as a woman who won't be doing it due to personal choice and because i'm shy about showing my body off. I don't care when wearing a low cut topcos if you've got it flaunt it, but i wear leggings when i wear short skirts and won't let anyone other than other man apart from my partner see me without clothes and that counts the doctor as well. Has to be a female doctor for me. My firends would tell you i'm far from shy but i'm am when it comes to my body.

I breastfed my boy and I wouldn't have missed that experience for the world. I had my fair share of troubles and things weren't easy but it was so worth it in the end. The closeness between me and my baby when we were snuggled up in those midnight feeds is just beyond description - it truly is the food of love. Liquid gold. And to think that all the weight he gained in the first six months was from my milk - well, that fair boosted my self-esteem! Women have the ability to do real magic and work real miracles - conjuring the ideal baby-food from nowhere, anytime, anyplace, anywhere!

Breastfeeding doesn't have to be a public affair, so don't let your shyness put you off. And you don't have to decide now - wait until after your baby is born. Like someone said earlier - labour strips you of all your pre-conceptions and you won't be the same woman once its over! Hopefully everything will go well for you and you will be so proud, happy and amazed at the miracle of childbirth. Once the "happy hormones" kick in after labour is over and you finally get to hold your baby you might surprise yourself and let him/her snuggle up skin-to-skin. After that, let your baby lead you. You might breastfeed, you might not. There is nothing to lose.

You should just do whatever feels right to you at the time, Vistravi. Don't worry about it. Don't let anyone bully you one way or the other. Don't let anyone make you feel bad - your baby will be happy if you are happy.

Good luck and best wishes - whether you formula feed or breastfeed, motherhood is the best thing ever!

Vistravi
16-Apr-09, 21:47
I breastfed my boy and I wouldn't have missed that experience for the world. I had my fair share of troubles and things weren't easy but it was so worth it in the end. The closeness between me and my baby when we were snuggled up in those midnight feeds is just beyond description - it truly is the food of love. Liquid gold. And to think that all the weight he gained in the first six months was from my milk - well, that fair boosted my self-esteem! Women have the ability to do real magic and work real miracles - conjuring the ideal baby-food from nowhere, anytime, anyplace, anywhere!

Breastfeeding doesn't have to be a public affair, so don't let your shyness put you off. And you don't have to decide now - wait until after your baby is born. Like someone said earlier - labour strips you of all your pre-conceptions and you won't be the same woman once its over! Hopefully everything will go well for you and you will be so proud, happy and amazed at the miracle of childbirth. Once the "happy hormones" kick in after labour is over and you finally get to hold your baby you might surprise yourself and let him/her snuggle up skin-to-skin. After that, let your baby lead you. You might breastfeed, you might not. There is nothing to lose.

You should just do whatever feels right to you at the time, Vistravi. Don't worry about it. Don't let anyone bully you one way or the other. Don't let anyone make you feel bad - your baby will be happy if you are happy.

Good luck and best wishes - whether you formula feed or breastfeed, motherhood is the best thing ever!

I don't let anyone bully me into anything so when that chapter of my life unfolds i'll do what i want to do. Nobody tells me what to do ;) Nae worries there.

ShelleyCowie
16-Apr-09, 21:51
When i was making up the wee mans bottles earlier i thought about this thread. Just makes me wish i had not got mastitus and was still breast feeding. I miss it still. But he was fed by me for a while and that is what i will have to remain happy with! :cool:

Dadie
16-Apr-09, 23:31
It is a personal decision based on what the circumstances at the time dictate...you cannot plan to far ahead as the babe may not latch on or you may suffer dificulties after trying breastfeeding...or maybe it is not for you end off!
It is a mums choice and the midwifes will give you all the facts and you decide whats best for you and your babe at that time!

But breastfeeding is not an easy option but after 6-8 weeks of sore/uncomfortable boobs it becomes easy... easier than the faff of bottles even! .... till teeth!:eek: ouch!
I know been there got the teethmarks to prove it!

lynne duncan
17-Apr-09, 18:44
breastfed all three of mine, first one to 3 months as i had to go off and work then, but it was hard going with her, suffered everything from cracked and bleeding nipples to mastitis bl**dy sore it is too but cabbage leaves worked a treat, 2nd i breastfed until 15 months little so and so wouldn't take a bottle and i totally agree about when their teeth start to come in, but a gentle tweek of their lugs stopped the nibbling and the third was a doddle but with her my milk didn't come into the third day so after the first day of howling in the hospital . iasked for a bottle for her and met with disapproving glares but i knew what was wrong and held out and my body finally realised that the tot was born and then my milk came in. as been said before breastfeeding ain't easy but it is very rewarding, but in the long run as long as baby is happy and nourished by which ever method that is all that matters.

Ash
17-Apr-09, 19:10
When i was making up the wee mans bottles earlier i thought about this thread. Just makes me wish i had not got mastitus and was still breast feeding. I miss it still. But he was fed by me for a while and that is what i will have to remain happy with! :cool:

i got this aswell with my one, its hard knowing you cant do it, my daughter was prem so i never got to experience it properly i had to use a very scary hospital mechanical pump then i became too sore to do it so had to stop, i know that for her first month i expressed my own milk so she did get some

Rheghead
17-Apr-09, 19:38
Where is the proof for this? My wife knows women who breast fed and still went on to get breast cancer. I think claims like this give women a false sense of security and maybe donot check themselves as a result. I think this is just put round to encourage women to breast feed.

[NB. OH wrote this]

mrsinkstack
17-Apr-09, 20:22
Where is the proof for this? My wife knows women who breast fed and still went on to get breast cancer. I think claims like this give women a false sense of security and maybe donot check themselves as a result. I think this is just put round to encourage women to breast feed.

I have a hireditory rogue cancer gene in my family which increases the possibility of developing either ovarian or breast cancer later in life. I was advised when I was pregnant with my first child by health professionals that breastfeeding could reduce this risk, as does not smoking, being overweight etc.

It's not a case of giving women false security as you put it but a case of giving you the information allowing you to make your own judegment call. Forearmed is fore warned as they say.

This link is interesting -

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_2X_What_are_the_risk_factors_for_breast_ca ncer_5.asp

Not breast-feeding
Some studies suggest that breast-feeding may slightly lower breast cancer risk, especially if breast-feeding is continued for 1½ to 2 years. But this has been a difficult area to study, especially in countries such as the United States, where breast-feeding for this long is uncommon.
The explanation for this possible effect may be that breast-feeding reduces a woman's total number of lifetime menstrual cycles (similar to starting menstrual periods at a later age or going through early
menopause).

I've seen four out of six aunties develop the disease and I personally would do anything to reduce my own risk of developing it.

Rheghead
17-Apr-09, 20:55
That was a good website thankyou. I thought it was interesting that to decrease the risk of breast cancer breast feeding is recommended for 1and a half to 2 years.

mrsinkstack
17-Apr-09, 21:04
Well I've got 3 bairns and fed each for 1 year - maybe it's a collective thing ? Who knows but it has to be worth a try ? !
Don't think I could suffer a two year old asking for some 'bitie' at the dinner table ;)

Skerries
18-Apr-09, 11:07
I breastfed mine until weaned and it was extremely painful for three months and then got better. There is a myth put about that breastfeeding is only sore if the baby is not latched on correctly. I think that is a load of rubbish, it certainly wasn't true in my case.

It's important that the mother is supported about a decision to bottle feed as many women feel guilty about switching to formula milk. Women who breastfeed are given lots of support but the ones that choose to bottle feed often have lingering guilt about it - and they shouldn't!

It is also possible to mix breast and bottle provided you do it once the milk supply is well established.

Both feeding methods have pros and cons so it should be an individual choice.

crayola
18-Apr-09, 15:19
I breastfed one but bottlefed the other after breastfeeding for a month, mastitis and a hungry crying baby aren't good for anyone. :(

kgs
21-Apr-09, 11:36
Caithness breast friends are a fantastic support group for anyone who is breastfeeding . Peer support so no health professionals trying to persuade you one way or the other. They are there for advice or just a chat. Breastfed both of mine and not easy as second one was prem and very small. All babys are different and so are all mums so it is a very individual choice.

honey
21-Apr-09, 11:53
i bottle fed my 2 sons, and will bottle feed this one too when s/he arrives. I did have a pushy MW try to get me to breastfeed last time, but it was MY baby and MY (with hubbys opinion) choice.

mama2
21-Apr-09, 16:04
I bottle fed my first child as no matter how much I tried he just would not latch on. All through my pregnancy I was determined to breastfeed and the feeling of failure I felt when he wouldn't latch on was overwhelming. Add that on to the baby blues and it isn't very nice.
My second latched on straight away but fed all the time and when I say all the time I mean it!! I eventually had to give in as I was sore and exhausted. If he had been my first I would of kept going but because I had another to look after I didn't have the energy to keep going. Both my children are very healthy and have never had anything wrong with them other than the usual childhood illnesses.

Yes, it is natural but it is not always easy. It should be a personal choice for each and every mother and not for others to judge. No mother should be made to feel upset or guilty because of her choice. Your children should be cherished and the first few days after they are born should be about getting your strength back and preparing to go home not being made to feel guilty about your choices. Being a parent is worrying enough so lets lay off on Mums who choose to bottlefeed.

Westsider3
21-Apr-09, 16:24
I am currently pregnant and am in the dilema of deciding what to do - breast or bottle? I breast-fed my daughter for her first two days and then switched to bottle. She cried constantly and every midwife in the unit seemed to show me a different technique for latching her on. In hindsight, I don't think she was getting anything from me as once she had a bottle she slept like a log and I never looked back. Now I feel guilty as I should fed this one for the two days too but I don't think I want to breast feed. I am really maternal and my daughter is my world but I found bottle feeding to be just as bonding.

There is a real stigma attached to bottle feeding though and personally I find it comes from some mothers who do breast fed. I sometimes think that they feel they are superior in the mothering stakes. Having a baby is a huge life changing event and I think we should all be allowed to make our own choices without being under such pressure.

Having said that, I have read through all the posts on here and am thinking that maybe I should give breast feeding a go. Honestly, I just don't know what I want to do or will do, I think I'll have to wait and see what comes naturally at the time! I'm just going to continue to look forward to meeting this little, active bundle inside me in a few weeks and take it as it comes!!

Vistravi
21-Apr-09, 16:46
I am currently pregnant and am in the dilema of deciding what to do - breast or bottle? I breast-fed my daughter for her first two days and then switched to bottle. She cried constantly and every midwife in the unit seemed to show me a different technique for latching her on. In hindsight, I don't think she was getting anything from me as once she had a bottle she slept like a log and I never looked back. Now I feel guilty as I should fed this one for the two days too but I don't think I want to breast feed. I am really maternal and my daughter is my world but I found bottle feeding to be just as bonding.

There is a real stigma attached to bottle feeding though and personally I find it comes from some mothers who do breast fed. I sometimes think that they feel they are superior in the mothering stakes. Having a baby is a huge life changing event and I think we should all be allowed to make our own choices without being under such pressure.

Having said that, I have read through all the posts on here and am thinking that maybe I should give breast feeding a go. Honestly, I just don't know what I want to do or will do, I think I'll have to wait and see what comes naturally at the time! I'm just going to continue to look forward to meeting this little, active bundle inside me in a few weeks and take it as it comes!!

Theres nothing wrong with expressing if you don't want to breastfeed. The baby still gets your milk if you express it.

mama2
21-Apr-09, 19:11

I totally agree with you. As I said no mother should be made to feel upset or guilty over her choice on what to feed her baby, although breastfeeding is natural it is not always easy. Do whatever makes you and your baby happy. You do not have to justify your decision to anyone and as you already know if you are happy and relaxed baby will be more relaxed. Good luck with your new arrival in a few weeks time xx

squidge
21-Apr-09, 19:16
Theres nothing wrong with expressing if you don't want to breastfeed. The baby still gets your milk if you express it.

See i HATED expressing and i could have breast fed an army I had plenty milk but i could never relax when expressing and I hated the suction feeling - yuk yuk yuk. I only ever got a wee bit of milk and it was such a toil.

S&LHEN
21-Apr-09, 19:22
I would have to say breat feeding is best Ive had 3 and my first one I breast fed for 9 months and he hardly ever gets a cold or anything!! My 2nd I couldnt as I was so sore and my 3rd I couldnt because I wasnt making enough for him and the last 2 pick up everything thats going so there definatly must be something to it.:(

emszxr
21-Apr-09, 19:45

your baby may have cried a lot in first 2 days as your milk wasnt in. this happened with no 3 but he was fine once milk came in in day 3 or 4. the midwifes kept checking in the night that i wasnt strangling him he was that noisy.

wood2good
21-Apr-09, 19:52
Ha ha well at least they care.
The health visitor Theresa is lovely too ive never met anyone as helpful or kind and she listens and gives you honest advice which I think is fantastic.:)

your baby may have cried a lot in first 2 days as your milk wasnt in. this happened with no 3 but he was fine once milk came in in day 3 or 4. the midwifes kept checking in the night that i wasnt strangling him he was that noisy.

Westsider3
21-Apr-09, 19:55

No one really explained that to me in the hospital. Although the midwives were really nice and I couldn't fault anything about my stay in the Maternity Unit, they were incredibly busy and I didn't like to keep on buzzing them for help with latching her on either. I think that that experience has probably turned me off breast feeding, although I do feel I might give it a go again. I'm not putting myself under any pressure, I'm just going to take it as it comes.

Cheers for your advice!

S&LHEN
21-Apr-09, 20:28
Busy is one word for it I got sent home half way through being induced because there was no midwives available!!:(
I did not have a great labour there at all but the auxillarys, cleaners etc were lovely.
I was lucky with the breast feeding as I had been shown at Raigmore when I had my first just a shame I never had enough milk.
Just do what you feel yourself is right for you and you cant go wrong.:)

kgs
21-Apr-09, 20:32
I agree, you always feel like you are bothering the staff in hospital if you ask for help. It is definately not something that comes naturally and takes a lot of practice before baby and you might get it right. I had someone from caithness breast friends visit me at home and give advice about latching on and other problems I was having. It was all very informal and we just had coffee and chated through a few things which I found much better than trying to take in everything the midwives were telling me just hours after giving birth. I believe they can come and see you in the hospital if you ask and they are all mums who are or have breastfed so they can really help.