PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Ships...

Issy2
08-Oct-03, 09:02
Please anyone - what are they ? :roll:

jjc
08-Oct-03, 09:31
Do you mean the one's on their way from the US at the moment or were you thinking a little more along the paranormal lines?

The one’s talked about in the thread ‘George Bush sending us a toxic fleet what do you think about’ are ships the US have anchored in a river in Virginia. Officially they are part of the US Navy’s reserve fleet, ready to be called into service should they be required. However most of them are so old and decrepit that they look likely to break apart where they are (let alone if they are towed across the Atlantic – but that’s another thread). Because they are now pretty much dead in the water they have been nickname the ‘Ghost Fleet’ – hence, ‘ghost ships’.

If your question was about things that go bump in the night then I’ve always taken them to be one of two things: Either ships found afloat and seemingly intact, but minus their crew (like the Marie Celest), or they are the ‘spirits’ of ships lost at sea doomed forever to sail the oceans (usually in a big bank of fog if you believe Hollywood)… Boo!!!
http://www.apcu29.dsl.pipex.com/smilies/ghost.gif

Mr Sensitive
08-Oct-03, 10:27
"The one's"?

What has happened to our guardian of punctuation? :lol:

squidge
08-Oct-03, 14:31
"The one's"?

Oooooh very observant Mr Sensitive!!!

jjc you should be ashamed that poor apostrophe is all out of place!!!

Issy2
08-Oct-03, 19:06
Thanks for the reply jjc.
I was referring to the ships written about on the home page of this web site on Tues. Oct.7.
I think you have answered my question.

jjc
08-Oct-03, 21:06
"The one's"?

Oooooh very observant Mr Sensitive!!!

jjc you should be ashamed that poor apostrophe is all out of place!!!
I am... I am deeply ashamed :~(

In my defence I can only say that I have had an extremely busy day at work and really shouldn't have been posting at all. It was a hurried job and I relied too heavily on Mr Gates to keep me out of trouble. I'll try not to do it again ;)