PDA

View Full Version : Free Masons - Opinions ?

Iffy
14-Apr-09, 17:19
I know some people who are ; and have admitted to being "Free Masons" (tho they don't like to talk about being such ???)

Just curious as to how other members of the Org. see this institution and do they agree with them ? :confused

unicorn
14-Apr-09, 18:04
I look at it this way
"Does it affect the quality of my life" NO
So is it any of my business .........No..........:lol:

changilass
14-Apr-09, 18:11
Not sure I agree with the jobs for the boys bit of it, but hey, I suppose there needs to be some benefits to membership.

Having said that, they do a lot for charity and it is mainly just a boys night out, so live and let live.

northener
14-Apr-09, 18:14
You'll get cliques and 'secret societies' anywhere in society.......I don't see how being a member of your local golf club is that much different in some cases.

How about an 'Inner Temple' on here for class acts such as myself?;)

I'll let you in if you agree.....

Venture
14-Apr-09, 18:16
Not sure I agree with the jobs for the boys bit of it, but hey, I suppose there needs to be some benefits to membership.

Having said that, they do a lot for charity and it is mainly just a boys night out, so live and let live.

Who said its only boys.;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4629813.stm

changilass
14-Apr-09, 18:22
Interesting link Venture, I alus thought the womans group was called Eastern Star or something similar, tis nice to find out diferent - still wouldnae want to be a member though lol.

Iffy
14-Apr-09, 18:25
Guess what I REALLY meant to ask was....

WHAT do they do??.. one suggestion was that they give to charities - GOOD on them ....... so WHY can't they (or aren't they ALLOWED to ??) talk about the things they do within the "Brethren" - I'm sure that SOME people would maybe LOVE to know more about this "Secret Society! ??????

It just intrigues me how people can join a society such as this without knowing/understanding everything they are committing to ......

unicorn
14-Apr-09, 18:30
They probably stand about all night having a dram talking about whats going on in the world and laughing about all the people who wonder what they do [lol]

joxville
14-Apr-09, 18:31
You'll get cliques and 'secret societies' anywhere in society.......I don't see how being a member of your local golf club is that much different in some cases.

I'll let you in if you agree.....
Sorry to disappoint you Northener but we already have an Inner Temple....you're invitation has obviously gone astray. ;)

joxville
14-Apr-09, 18:34

WHAT do they do??.. one suggestion was that they give to charities - GOOD on them ....... so WHY can't they (or aren't they ALLOWED to ??) talk about the things they do within the "Brethren" - I'm sure that SOME people would maybe LOVE to know more about this "Secret Society! ??????

It just intrigues me how people can join a society such as this without knowing/understanding everything they are committing to ......

It's not a secret society...it's a society with secrets.

webmannie
14-Apr-09, 18:37
Not so secretive nowadays - http://www.lodge284.com

emszxr
14-Apr-09, 19:09

They can't talk about certain things, such as the secret words and obligations they take, this is to maintain the structure of the Freemason lodges, without that they wouldn't have existed for as long as they have. Admittedly lots of men join and drift away without ever having learned the knowledge of what it's all about, they seem to be looking for certain benefits, such as "jobs for boys", which in truth doesn't exist. Most of the Brethren who have a long relationship with the lodge are there for the comradeship, the pleasure of giving to charitable causes, and the love of their fellow people, whether masons or not. Have a look at our sutherland website if you're interested in finding out more.

Tony Smith, husband of Emma and a Past Master of Lodge Clyne, Brora

joxville
14-Apr-09, 19:32
I think they look ridiculous for the way they dress.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Apr-09, 19:51
I was always led to believe that the Freemasons had a religous background with their own God called Yabalon sp ? (part names of three different names of gods ) :confused

Alice in Blunderland
14-Apr-09, 20:00
Sorry the name of the God I was led to believe they worship is Jahbulon I cant spell I had to google to find it. :)

joxville
14-Apr-09, 20:05
I'd like to know who looks after the goat when there's no meetings.

butterfly
14-Apr-09, 20:07
What do they do with the goat?:confused

joxville
14-Apr-09, 20:09
What do they do with the goat?:confusedThey milk it for all it's worth! ;)[lol]

butterfly
14-Apr-09, 20:46
They milk it for all it's worth! ;)[lol]

So they dont dance round it in their bare feet.........:eek:

joxville
14-Apr-09, 20:54
No, but it's joked that they ride one during the initiation ceremony.

http://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/goat.html

ks
14-Apr-09, 21:47
No, but it's joked that they ride one during the initiation ceremony.

http://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/goat.html

Not just during the initiation!

TBH
14-Apr-09, 22:13

Having said that, they do a lot for charity and it is mainly just a boys night out, so live and let live.There are "jobs for the boys" in any walk of life so it's not a practice restricted to the Masons but an understandable social trait that if you have any influence in someone getting a job then you will put forward or hire someone that you know and trust to be able to do the job competently.

TBH
14-Apr-09, 22:18

I'll let you in if you agree.....We have a vacancy for a Grand Pubbah in our Water Buffaloes lodge if you are interested and have ever came down with a case dipsy-doodle-itis, which can only be cured by three days away the wife.

golach
14-Apr-09, 22:33
There are "jobs for the boys" in any walk of life so it's not a practice restricted to the Masons but an understandable social trait that if you have any influence in someone getting a job then you will put forward or hire someone that you know and trust to be able to do the job competently.
So very true TBH, in most jobs its not what you know, but who you know, I personally find nothing wrong with that yardstick. Can you tie a bow TBH?

TBH
14-Apr-09, 22:55
So very true TBH, in most jobs its not what you know, but who you know, I personally find nothing wrong with that yardstick. Can you tie a bow TBH?

Cross the two ends of the ribbon and loop one end under. Do this the same way as when you start when you tie your shoes.
Make one side of the ribbon into a loop. If you are tying a ribbon, make sure that it doesn't twist.
Make the other side of the ribbon into an identical loop.
Cross the two loops and pull the loop on top through the hole that exists between the two loops.This is the same motion you made in step one.
Pull tightly. The bow will look messy at this point.
Adjust the loops. Loosen the ends of the bow and keep adjusting until the loops sit evenly.

Have I got the Job, Boss?:D

joxville
14-Apr-09, 22:58
Have I got the Job, Boss?:D
Do you really want it? He forgot to tell you where it's to be tied on to!! [lol]

TBH
14-Apr-09, 23:00
Do you really want it? He forgot to tell you where it's to be tied on to!! [lol]Cheers, Jox, that's another fine mess you got my monitor into.[lol] BTW, can coffee stain an lcd panel?

balto
14-Apr-09, 23:16
what exactly are the free masons, please tell for someone who hasnt got a clue apart fromt he fact they have funny hand shakes, im not meaning to be ignorant, just dont know.

purplelady
14-Apr-09, 23:23
my ex is one and belevie me it costs a lot of money to become one i know that for a fact x

TBH
14-Apr-09, 23:23
what exactly are the free masons, please tell for someone who hasnt got a clue apart fromt he fact they have funny hand shakes, im not meaning to be ignorant, just dont know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

There ye go, Balto, dinna say am bad til ye.:D

Whitewater
15-Apr-09, 00:24

As well as you golach

butterfly
15-Apr-09, 00:29
my ex is one and belevie me it costs a lot of money to become one i know that for a fact x

You are right there,my father was one too and it was a costly business.....

Fran
15-Apr-09, 01:53
I see from recent pictures in the paper that a lot of men and women from wick have joined, so it is not so secret as it used to be.

balto
15-Apr-09, 09:52
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

There ye go, Balto, dinna say am bad til ye.:D
cheers for that TBH, interesting reading.

I see from recent pictures in the paper that a lot of men and women from wick have joined, so it is not so secret as it used to be.
i thought it was just men that could join.

Loafer
15-Apr-09, 13:20

As good as you can brother, sorry faither; ;)

The Loafer

golach
15-Apr-09, 15:23
As good as you can brother, sorry faither; ;)

The Loafer
Son, your reply should have been " As easy as you" ;);)

woofit
15-Apr-09, 16:40
All I know about the Freemasons is that they give funny handshakes and they roll up the left trouser leg for some reason....or maybe I just made that last bit up?! lol All sounds a tad iffy to me, but then again, I thought nothing of having to curtsey in front of a paper mache toadstool at Brownies Lol ...it's a funny old world..and how easily led some of us are. In my defence however, I was only 7.

annthracks
15-Apr-09, 18:07
Can you tie a bow TBH?

Errrm, is that like asking if he's on the square? :-)

Loafer
15-Apr-09, 21:53
I joined the masons several years ago and to be honest the only surprise to me was that there were no "high ranking" members of society there, just normal run of the mill men. I no longer attend as I am now married and the only secrets between my wife and myself are masonic ones. I find it hard that I am not allowed to tell her, but that's the way it goes. I took an oath and that's it.

As for "having the handshake" helping you in life? Absolute rubbish. I only started getting promotion long after I last attended!!!!

The Loafer

the poacher
15-Apr-09, 23:20
i thought the masons are not meant to tell anyone that they are a mason

i dont know myself that is what i heard.

Whitewater
15-Apr-09, 23:31
All I know about the Freemasons is that they give funny handshakes and they roll up the left trouser leg for some reason....or maybe I just made that last bit up?! lol All sounds a tad iffy to me, but then again, I thought nothing of having to curtsey in front of a paper mache toadstool at Brownies Lol ...it's a funny old world..and how easily led some of us are. In my defence however, I was only 7.

Maybe they roll up their left trouser leg to have a pee.

Aaldtimer
16-Apr-09, 02:35
I no longer attend as I am now married and the only secrets between my wife and myself are masonic ones. I find it hard that I am not allowed to tell her, but that's the way it goes. I took an oath and that's it.

The Loafer[/quote]

I'm sure your wife wouldn't want you found on the shoreline with your tongue ripped out of your throat!;)

hotrod4
16-Apr-09, 05:26
Isnt it funny that things we know nothing about get ridiculed?.
Not a mason nor have any inclanation to be one, but I think all the secrecy leaves itself open to attack. What people dont know they make up.I have the masons book that they all have (with words strategically missing;))and it doesnt seem all that bad to me. Nothing evil or that in it. Live and let live I say,not my bag as I dont like all the secrecy,but if there happy and it doesnt harm anyone then crack at it.

tigger2u
16-Apr-09, 21:41
:lol: so funny what people will make up or believe with this subject.

Masons are not banned from talking about what we do or stopped from revealing that they are masons but the individual may make a choice not to. If they are a secret society then its the worse secret even lmao
As someone else said, there are some parts we keep secret.

But we do like to see what ther next big myth is , I know i do

I rarely hide that a I'm member, a Lewis, a PM, but more so I'm a friend yet to be met, by anyone not just masons and I'm proud to be one.

There are worse organisations out there that people should be more wary of.