PDA

View Full Version : Hillsborough 1989

Bob's Ma
14-Apr-09, 14:35
15 April 1989, the Hillsborough disaster sent shock waves across Britain. At Sheffield Wednesday's stadium 96 Liverpool fans were fatally injured in a crush during the FA Cup semi-final.

Spare a thought for all the victims, families and friends.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Apr-09, 14:45
JFT 96
RIP

And don't buy The Sun.

mums angels
14-Apr-09, 16:26
For anyone interested the documentry "hillsborough remembered " is on the History channel tomorow night at 8pm.

I was only 8 when the disaster happened but can remember watching it on the news and discussing it in school, such a tragic accident .

Justice for the 96 ...and i agree don't buy the SUN .

northener
14-Apr-09, 16:29
15 April 1989, the Hillsborough disaster sent shock waves across Britain. At Sheffield Wednesday's stadium 96 Liverpool fans were fatally injured in a crush during the FA Cup semi-final.

Time flies, I'd forgotten - even though it was mentioned on another thread t'other day.

Iffy
14-Apr-09, 17:44
Thinking of their families on this anniversary...

God Bless Them .....xx

butterfly
14-Apr-09, 20:29
don't buy The Sun.

Why?......:confused

mums angels
14-Apr-09, 23:02
Why?......:confused

the Sun newspaper printed a lot of fabricated stories about what happend amonst football fans that day .. they did later make several retractions and appologies but alot of Liverpool fans refused to buy the Sun after that. (something along those lines anyway )

butterfly
14-Apr-09, 23:58
the Sun newspaper printed a lot of fabricated stories about what happend amonst football fans that day .. they did later make several retractions and appologies but alot of Liverpool fans refused to buy the Sun after that. (something along those lines anyway )

Thanks mums angels,heard it on the news tonight as well.Trust the Sun to do something like that.......

scrumpysteve
15-Apr-09, 09:35
I'd just like to mention the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough today. This is my own inadequate tribute to tose who died. My own family got home safely.

God bless all 96. You'll never walk alone!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7997924.stm

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3540/hillsboroughmemorial.jpg
http://flickr.com/photos/9302732@N08/2418381719

balto
15-Apr-09, 09:53
what a sad day, for everyone it affected, god bless you all.

Jovi
15-Apr-09, 10:03
I have very vivid memories of that day as my brother and his friend were there.Thankfully,they came home,unlike many. My thoughts also go to their families and friends.

Bazeye
15-Apr-09, 15:19
Sad day indeed, but Im curious as to why theres hardly any mention of other football tragedies on their anniversaries? Ibrox, Heysel,Bradford City, Bolton etc.

Iffy
15-Apr-09, 15:25
Sad day indeed, but Im curious as to why theres hardly any mention of other football tragedies on their anniversaries? Ibrox, Heysel,Bradford City, Bolton etc.

I think its because the Hillsborough disaster was the single worst tragedy, before or since, regarding the huge loss of life.

R.I.P.
x

Jeid
15-Apr-09, 22:06
Such a waste of life. There were letters from family members and friends to ones that died 20years ago today, on the Liverpool website.

YNWA

Amy-Winehouse
17-Apr-09, 19:14
I think its because the Hillsborough disaster was the single worst tragedy, before or since, regarding the huge loss of life.

R.I.P.
x

It was a horrible day, I was at Parkhead that day for a scottish cup semi final & a wall collapsed on the Jungle side of the ground- luckilly no one was killed but there were a few away on stretchers, news filtered through to us that there had been a tragedy in Sheffield & there was a tremendous amount of sympathy amongst the older Gers fans as many of them could remember back to 1971, the second but worst disaster at Ibrox.

The first was back in 1902 during a Scotland -England international when 25 were killed & 517 were injured as the wooden terracing gave way, the second was in January 1971 when 66 were killed on the infamous stairway 13 at the end of an old firm match.

The 2nd of January is a date never to be forgotten for me as much as 15th April is to Liverpool fans . RIP to all those who lost their lives

Loafer
19-Apr-09, 16:14

I was at the Celtic/Liverpool game which was Liverpool's first game after the disaster and the outpouring of grief from the Liverpool players and fans alike was unbelievable. I will never forget John Aldridge and Ian Rush being in tears whilst playing the game. I have never seen a minutes silence been so impeccably observed and still brings a tingle to my spine 20 years on. It is time justice was brought for the 96 who died doing what they loved - watching their team play football. They deserve that.

RIP 96

The Loafer