PDA

View Full Version : What did you guys do for sledging up there?

grantyg
27-Feb-06, 20:12
Okay so not that I`m booking a holiday to come sledging in wick but........
Where I grew up in North yorkshire back in the 80`s when you got sent home from school because the gritter was stuck in the depot (not the 3 flakes an hour they require these days!)
I lived in a village first off where we had a sledging field - which in the summer was a "timotei" style field - you know long grass daisies and the odd blonde running round like a nutter in the sun!
But when winter came it became the hotspot and I even remember the farmer winching people up the top of the hill!
Then we sadly moved but when november hit and the snow started I discovered the Ghyl which was a very old disused quarry that had huge smooth runs and even tho there would be 80 kids there it never felt crowded!

I even remember once this girl (really stuck up!) was posing with her fancy steerable sledge whilst we (wildly jealous) with our Plastic Bags from the garden and farm with the odd sofa cushion in for bum protection, looked on in amezment.
So she set off..........................pretty fast .... screaming with joy......... not quite worked out the steering she went straight through a hawthron bush. At somepoint on her ride the scream changed and she re apeared at the other side cut to ribbons and leaving a red arrow style blood trail in her wake!

Anyway my point is where the heck did you folk in caithness go to sledge?
I know about the dunes at Reiss and Dunnett, but was it a mass attack on morven with the entire county going for it on Plakky Bags as we called them!

Sorry for the ramble I just those northern england 1980`s winters back again!
I can`t wait for the gulf stream to stop!

Ann
27-Feb-06, 20:23
We lived beside a burn which had a lovely long brae leading down to it. One fellow had a six seater sledge; great fun but it was very heavy to pull back up to the top! People from "The Big House" used to ski there as well. We were mesmerised, never having seen skis before.

When my daughter came along and we went sledging, I was delighted when they invented plastic ones; they were much lighter and faster. Ann

landmarker
27-Feb-06, 20:52
It looks like the snow is on its way - big time for the North east of Scotland. If it's your thing - enjoy it. If it's not - wrap up and chill out, it shouldn't last for too long eh? No sign of any here in the forseeable....

nicnak
27-Feb-06, 21:20
We are quite lucky we have a couple of hills for the kids to sledge down but if they dont stop quick enough they will end up in the burn! when i was a kid we used to sled down some fantastic hills but our favourite trick was to come down the village hill quite steep on a tin tray - you went like a bullet and god only knows how one of us never ended up dead or under a car! I think I would do my kids a severe injury if they tried that one now but boy was it great fun!

Saveman
27-Feb-06, 23:33
When I first seen the title to this thread I thought it was about using "australian" tactics in cricket..... :p

...somebody will know what I'm talking about

98elite
27-Feb-06, 23:46
All us posh kids had our very own SAI fertilizer bags, lob in some snow at the top for comfort and off you go, fantastic, half time off home for a sausage sangy with tom sauce and a cup of hot orange, a quick thaw and off again for the afternoon yepee those were the days.

Wickerchick
27-Feb-06, 23:50
We used to go where the cannon is at the riverside and come down that hill on plastic bags and sacks a bit dangerous but fun.

DrSzin
28-Feb-06, 01:39
Anyway my point is where the heck did you folk in caithness go to sledge?Scrabster hill, or any street with a decent slope - not exactly sensible...

People used to ski on Scrabster hill too. Do they still do that?

Rheghead
28-Feb-06, 01:46
Whatever happened to Morven Ski Club?

angela5
28-Feb-06, 01:56
We used to go where the cannon is at the riverside and come down that hill on plastic bags and sacks a bit dangerous but fun.

hee..hee..:lol: i remember those days..

willowbankbear
28-Feb-06, 02:10
[lol] Scalesburn 5minutes ago was absolutely brilliant on big black bin bags[lol]

I wish!!!!!

krieve
01-Mar-06, 12:57
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_2v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB) lol i was just out having fun with the bairns the dog and a sledge lol[lol]