joxville
13-Apr-09, 22:57
I played it a few years ago but jacked it in. :D

Kevin Milkins
13-Apr-09, 23:04
I prefer rugby, not that I am biased.:roll:

Angel
13-Apr-09, 23:11
Played it quite regular in the eighties on the crown green in Dukinfield Park in Cheshire... oops giving away my age...lol...

Angel

Jacked it in, Jox... oh you crack me up...

Kodiak
13-Apr-09, 23:33
I also played it for some years in Golspie while I was stationed there. I really liked the game and since moving to Thurso I keep on saying, "One day I am going to join the Bowling Club" but I have just got round to it.

I must say though that while I played in Golspie I throughly enjoyed playing the game and I do miss it at times.

Bmx1994
13-Apr-09, 23:42
wel i play all you need to do is go down on the 18th and ask if u can get a membership form and play thanx

Kodiak
14-Apr-09, 00:00
Do you know what the membership is? Last time I asked it was rather expensive and now being on a Pension and if it was the same I could not afford it.

Rheghead
14-Apr-09, 00:02
Lawn bowls is for amateurs, crown green bowls sorts out the real players with talent.

scorrie
14-Apr-09, 00:47
Well, it's end to end stuff, I'll give you that!!

blackcat
17-Apr-09, 09:36
Do you know what the membership is? Last time I asked it was rather expensive and now being on a Pension and if it was the same I could not afford it.

Membership is £65

Whitewater
17-Apr-09, 09:55
Membership at St Fergus (Wick) is £55. it is not expensive for what you get, you can play as often as you like from April to September. It is a very social game.
When I was younger (teens to early 30s) I played rugby and tennis. Obviously too old for rugby, but still had the odd game of tennis up until about 5 or 6 years ago, then my shoulders seized up for a time. (I guess I'm like an old car, in need of new parts)

Bowls is a great game for older people, but many youngsters are playing now. The prize money for the top players is getting better as well. It requires a lot of skill.

Rhegers I have a game on the crown greens when I visit the Isle of Man, good game, I enjoy it, but my own preference is flat green. (Bias on the crown bowls is a wee bit different as well)

floyed
17-Apr-09, 19:22
lawn bowls

Eh............Nope:eek:

George Brims
17-Apr-09, 20:24
When I was younger (teens to early 30s) I played rugby and tennis. Obviously too old for rugby, but still had the odd game of tennis up until about 5 or 6 years ago, then my shoulders seized up for a time. (I guess I'm like an old car, in need of new parts)
This is truly sad. I tore a hamstring playing lawn bowls. Really. You should warm up before playing *any* sport.

scorrie
17-Apr-09, 20:30
This is truly sad. I tore a hamstring playing lawn bowls. Really. You should warm up before playing *any* sport.

Better than tearing your "Bowls" while playing hamstrings ;)

Kodiak
17-Apr-09, 20:55
Membership is £65

Thanks for this information, sorry to say that is a bit expensive for me and I could not afford that from my Pension.

Rheghead
17-Apr-09, 21:13
Rhegers I have a game on the crown greens when I visit the Isle of Man, good game, I enjoy it, but my own preference is flat green. (Bias on the crown bowls is a wee bit different as well)

I think our true bias is with the game that we first started to play. I've got myself into a 'it will never be the same fun mentality' with flat green bowls, logically that is really erroneous and unfair. I keep promising each year to go down to Thurso and join the club but then jib out again. I really must give it a go cos I really enjoy bowling and I got really enthusiastic about the crown green game. :) I did donate a book to Thurso Club though, I hope someone has got tips from it.