PDA

View Full Version : The Dyson's packed up!......

landmarker
27-Feb-06, 18:50
accompanied by a smell of burning. Does not look good.
Threw the electric lawnmower on the tip at weekend 'n all.
They say it come sin threes.
Whatever next?

(don' answer lol)

paris
27-Feb-06, 19:24
If you send a pm to porshie she has the no for dyson who then pick it up for you, mend it and give it a full service, new leads, pipes ect And its much much cheeper than a new hoover. Good service aswell . jan x

98elite
27-Feb-06, 19:35
I have had the burning smell with the Dyson in my case it was just a snapped rubber belt just a couple of pounds to fix, the Dyson helpline are pretty good at fault finding, believe it or not on an older model the guy found the fault on my hoover by listening to the noise it was making over the phone, strange but true.

grantyg
27-Feb-06, 20:01
Yep I have to agree the little red fluff removers on ours fell off and dyson sent a new bit - they were really nice on the phone too!

BRIE
27-Feb-06, 22:06
it doesnt always come in threes! Since xmas we have managed to blow up 1 microwave, 2 playstations, 2 televisions & a tumble dryer!! Luckily 1 playstation & 1 tv is still guaranteed! I think im jinxed!![para]

unicorn
27-Feb-06, 22:14
Brie that makes 6 so your three just came twice :)

Saveman
27-Feb-06, 23:31
Would I be wrong in saying that dysons have a reputation for quitting before their time?

Violetsky
27-Feb-06, 23:38
you might find this website useful if you know which bit has packed in on your dyson:

http://www.dyson.co.uk/range/access_frame.asp?model=DC01-SY-STD

I have had my dyson since they first came out and I think it is the best thing since sliced bread - not thinking so much of the newer models though - they dont seem to be as good - going by the amount of them my mother has gone through!!!

Bingobabe
28-Feb-06, 00:28
Sorry have to disagree the best hoover is henry he has been a faithful friend over the years and he has never packed up on me ohhhh i love my henry:Razz :Razz :Razz :p lol

Rheghead
28-Feb-06, 01:38
Landmarker, Dyson's return and repair service is second to none. Just contact them and they will collect it by courier and return it by courier, free of charge. A lot of the parts are covered by warranty so will cost nothing. Just give them a call.

Fran
28-Feb-06, 02:37
if you can't get your dyson repaired, you can get a bagless electrolux in the co-op for £39. i got one a couple of weeks ago and its great, very powerful and has the tools on board too.

ps. i dont work for the co-op, but i do recommend this hoover.

Geo
28-Feb-06, 03:31
Ours went in a similar fashion. Smell of burning, smoke, then a bang. It needed a new motor. The good thing about them is their return service is fast however I would never buy another. That was the 4th thing to go wrong with it. I've read various things online from customers and non Dyson engineers saying the build quality is very poor.

Next time I'm going with a Miele or a Henry both of which get vert good reviews for use and longevity.

I've written a review of our Dyson here:
http://www.hookeslaw.com/dyson.htm

Chillie
28-Feb-06, 03:47
Sorry have to disagree the best hoover is henry he has been a faithful friend over the years and he has never packed up on me ohhhh i love my henry:Razz :Razz :Razz :p lol

Never you the best is a Nilfisk had one for years never any trouble,

landmarker
28-Feb-06, 19:11
A very nice chap at the Malmesbury (Wilts) help desk reckons we nee d anew motor. £55 including labour and call out.
Sounds good with a 12 month guarantee. We've had the DC04 for six years.

Countryman
28-Feb-06, 19:58
Help Have just ordered a new Dyson - having read some of the reviews - wondering have I done the wrong thing.

landmarker
28-Feb-06, 21:04
Help Have just ordered a new Dyson - having read some of the reviews - wondering have I done the wrong thing.

Expensive but you get what you pay for.Good product and good back up. I consider six years reasonable for a vacuum cleaner motor with use every other day.

katarina
28-Feb-06, 21:08
Would I be wrong in saying that dysons have a reputation for quitting before their time?

I'm on my third one....or is it my fourth?

98elite
28-Feb-06, 22:18
if you can't get your dyson repaired, you can get a bagless electrolux in the co-op for £39. i got one a couple of weeks ago and its great, very powerful and has the tools on board too.

ps. i dont work for the co-op, but i do recommend this hoover.

Great price Fran but if you were to go back over your floors with a Dyson you would get a nasty shock at what your £39 hoovy doesnt pick up, as said before you get what you pay for, we are on our third Dyson, imo you wont by a better hoover.

landmarker
28-Feb-06, 22:28
I dont want to come across as all domesticated because I'm not, really, as my wife will tell you but...
....the first time we vacuumed the house with this Dyson - in 2000 - I was absolutely amazed at the dirt it picked up from our apparently (to the eye anyway ) fairly clean carpets. We'd been using an Electrolux which had packed up a day or two before. The muck collected was staggering, and we ain't dirty folk by any means.
I could be , given the chance, but my wife is very house orientated.She was amazed too.

Geo
01-Mar-06, 01:55
Expensive but you get what you pay for.Good product and good back up. I consider six years reasonable for a vacuum cleaner motor with use every other day.

When you look up reviews online many people indicate you do not get what you pay for although you can get a good one as seems to be your experience. My own experience is that they are seriously overpriced for what they are and I would not buy another. The problem seems to be a lack of consistency with build quality so some say theirs lasted years from new, others say motors went, bits wore out etc before they ever should have. Our motor went at around 2 years. Long before that both hoses split and the filter was stuck solid from new. Some comments from engineers haven't been very positive either.

Dyson: When they are good they are very very good, but when they are bad, they are horrid.

landmarker
01-Mar-06, 20:14
Dyson: When they are good they are very very good, but when they are bad, they are horrid.

That just about sums 'em up I think. I hope you have better luck with the one you get next, whatever brans it is. I wonder if the build quality suffered when they shipped production out to the far east.
Shameful that was, in my humble opinion.

I dont think the price of them tumbled to reflect the lower labour costs either.

scorrie
01-Mar-06, 21:25
When you look up reviews online many people indicate you do not get what you pay for although you can get a good one as seems to be your experience. My own experience is that they are seriously overpriced for what they are and I would not buy another. The problem seems to be a lack of consistency with build quality so some say theirs lasted years from new, others say motors went, bits wore out etc before they ever should have. Our motor went at around 2 years. Long before that both hoses split and the filter was stuck solid from new. Some comments from engineers haven't been very positive either.

We had a Dyson and it was over-priced, over-hyped and over-the-hill before long. We paid £200 for it and then replaced it with a Samsung that cost £50. The Samsung has stronger suction and has none of the expensive filters to replace the way the Dyson machine used to need. The Samsung is getting replaced this week by a Panasonic that has lifetime washable filters and no bag, with 340W suction power for £79.99 it has more sook per pound than the Diesoon models ;o)