PDA

View Full Version : Jox has a bleeding nose. Help please!

ShelleyCowie
13-Apr-09, 17:11
Hi, when i was handling Jox (Gerbil for those who dont know) today i noticed she has alot of blood at her nose. Her nose seems to have gone bald too. This is the first proper look i have had for a couple of days. I handle them both daily but never noticed her nose like this before.

Can anyone advise why this might be happening?!

Gizmo's nose is fine. And its shavings + some kind of other bedding i got from PAH that was recommended because thats wat they had in their cage there when i adopted them.

Jox does not chew the bars that i have seen or poke her nose through them. Not like Gizmo does.

Please advise! Thank u! :(

unicorn
13-Apr-09, 17:23
could the cat have swiped her or the other one bitten her, keep a close eye on her as they only have a small amount of blood in them so any major loss could be fatal. If in doubt get to the vet.

ShelleyCowie
13-Apr-09, 17:30
Thanks for replying so promptly unicorn!

I can not be sure if it was the cat because obviously im not constantly in the room. But Jox is quite scared of the cat compared to Gizmo.

She seems to be pretty active as normal, eating and drinking too. I will keep an eye on her.

Is it weird that her nose is bald too though? :confused

Liz
13-Apr-09, 17:57
Could it be that she had some kind of 'scab' which has come off and this has caused the bleeding and left a bald patch?

Glad she is okay. If you like I could send you some Colloidal Silver to bathe her nose with?
If it seems clean though it probably won't need it.

ett23
13-Apr-09, 22:59
I just had a look on google about gerbil nose bleeds and apparently they're quite common. It's probably an allergic reaction to the bedding (wood shavings?) and it's not actually blood you're seeing it's mucus - their mucus is red, not yellow like ours. The bald patch you've noticed will be because her nose is itchy so she's been scratching and rubbing at it and rubbed the hair off :~(. Poor thing. Best thing to do is tell the vet and they'll prescribe you some cream for the nose and change the bedding to something she isn't allergic to (hopefully!). But if you take her to see the vet then he can give you more advice - I'm just going by what I read on the web! ;)

Hope Jox feels better soon.

teenybash
13-Apr-09, 23:01
She may have got a little over enthusiastic when grooming...especially the nose washing bit and simply caused herself a little bit accidental damage.
Like Liz ansd Unicorn just keep an eye on her.

joxville
13-Apr-09, 23:21
Hope my furry little friend is okay Shelley.

Sadly, she's probably inherited the baldness from her namesake.

ShelleyCowie
14-Apr-09, 11:20
Thanks everybody! I checked her over again today and it looks a bit better and cleaner. I cleaned it with a wee drop of water yesterday just to get a proper look. Lucky she is good at sitting eh!

I will keep an eye on her and change the bedding and things.

She is still eating and drinking fine. And doin her usual digging.

Joxville, lets hope she dont go completely bald then eh! ;) [lol]

joxville
14-Apr-09, 22:08
Glad to hear little Jox is okay.

ShelleyCowie
14-Apr-09, 22:28
i actually think that Jox and Gizmo have been at the scrapping with each other. They dont usually fight but have seen them a few times tonight!

ShelleyCowie
18-Apr-09, 18:59
Just a quick update, Jox's nose is looking alot better. Can see some fur starting to grow back in too. Must have been a fight with the boss (Gizmo) :) On the mend!