PDA

View Full Version : Copd?

brandy
11-Apr-09, 20:49
would like to ask if anyone has ever had to deal with end stage COPD. and what can be expected and anything else they would like to share in dealing with it.
dont really know where to begin... my mom is dying and well... would just like to talk to someone else that has delt with this. googled it.. and its like there is too much information that really says nothing at all.
just to give an idea of the situation.. in the last month... on march 13th mom fell and broke her hip.. to sick to be put under so thy put her in twilight to give her surgery. she came in with pnumonia as well... she has COPD, asthma, emphesemea, austio authritis, and autioperosis. and she smokes heavily..
after the surgery for her hip, she went into rehabilitation, where she stayed for 20 days before she was released to go home. she was at home a week exactly before she again was rushed to hospital again when the nurse came and found her disorentated and having difficlties. once at the hospital she was put into ICU with CO2 poisioning. yesterday she was realeased from ICU and moved to the rehabilitation center once again.
the dr. told us that she was at the end stages of stage 4 COPD, but really didnt ellaborate.
she is unable to do much of anything anymore, just standing causes her stress and has breathing dif. even at rest.
so if anyone has dealt with this , would really appreciate any advice or anything else you can offer.
thanks
brandy

shazzap
11-Apr-09, 21:11
I just want to wish you and your family well.

I lost my mother in January after a long debilitaing illness. Not the one you mention but just heartbreaking to watch.

I feel for you.

binbob
11-Apr-09, 21:33
so very sorry ,brandy.no answers for u. perhaps u could talk with ur own dr.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
11-Apr-09, 22:15
sorry to hear of your hard time (again) Brandy - don't know anything abbout it im sorry to say but hope someone can explain it to you and help you through this - thinking about you - hope your horsey giving you cuddles xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DOCTOR
11-Apr-09, 22:34
So sad to hear about your news.

End stage COPD is treated palliatively in the UK. End stage COPD patients are not admitted to an intensive care unit as ventilation would not prolong their long term outlook.

These patients are treated actively for infections with antibiotics, steroids and nebulisers.

A selected subgroup are given a trial of NIV- non invasive ventilation ( a tight fitted breathing face mask attached to a machine ). This helps with breathing.

The COPD nurses and rehabilitation teams provide support for the patient and families at home. Patients and families are given information and patients are advised not to smoke. Smoking causes more damage to the lungs which are already severely damaged by smoking related disease. This will affect their remaining quality of life.

Generally advanced COPD patients dont survive for long.

In depth detail including results of breathing tests would be needed for more advice. The doctors looking after her are in a better position to give more in depth advice about her longivity.

I hope this information helps you.

balto
11-Apr-09, 22:58
sorry to hear that brandy, my thoughts are with you and your familyxxxx

poppett
11-Apr-09, 23:05
Sorry to hear about your mum Brandy. Would it be possible to speak with your mum`s Consultant as he/she best knows what you can expect? Most Consultants are contactable through their secretary and they will phone you back if unable to speak when you phone.

brandy
11-Apr-09, 23:17
i dont even know who her consultant is.. and as we are in dif. countries its a bit hard. keeping updated thru family members, but its just really frustrating. was talking to her a while ago, and it was hard. she is getting confused and just talking non-sence at times.
yesterday, she was very clear minded and i had a good conversation with her.
just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your kind words.
its hard knowing whats going on.. but at the same time you have time to prepare yourself a little bit.
would be a lot easier if i was able to help out and do things. it just really sucks having to sit 4000 miles away, biting my nails.
i know im driving my family nuts calling about 6 times a day, but they are use to it by now! *G*

teenybash
11-Apr-09, 23:44
Brandy I am so, so very sorry to hear your Mum is so ill with copd....
I don't know if this will be of any help but, I had a close relative who died a few years ago through copd, asthma and emphysema on top. She opted to stay at home with her family who were able to stay with her every step of the way along with professionals who came each day to make sure she was as comfortable as possible. When it came to her passing it was quiet, peaceful and with dignity...........A unique and beautiful soul departed from this life with great sorrow that is felt by all who knew her, to this day. I am sure your lovely Mum will also pass gently from this world to the next and though you will miss her terribly, your heart will tell you her suffering from this dreadful disease will be over and she will rest in peace.
Don't mind those who are on at you for phoning....you keep that contact going with your Mum and say all the things you have always meant to say, even if she is having a confused spell, her heart will hear you. Your Love will give her strength and when the time comes for her to face the final step of her journey she will take with her all the Love you have in your heart.
Bless you and stay strong. xx

Fran
12-Apr-09, 00:33
I am so sorry to hear your news Brandy, and it must be so awful not being there with your mum. Is there any chance you could get a cheap flight and go there to be with her?
If only she could stop smoking that would be such a great help.
Himselfs mother has terrible copd and is on oxygen all the time, and was recently in hospital.
I wish there was something i could do or say to help you.
Hope you read carefully the post from Doctor.
I am so pleased that at least you can speak to her and tell her everything you want to say.

brandy
12-Apr-09, 00:37
working on it fran *grrr* trying to figure out if i need my passport renewed first or not. its running out in oct. so can i still travel on it, and get back into the UK ok on my return trip or will i need to have it updated first? sams has ran out so has dons, and bens is out of date in a couple mnths so have to get all those done ASAP.
so thats a large ammount of money. then the costs of going over... its a lot of work, and well... trying.. just have to wait and see what happens. ideally want to try to work it so we all can go over, but if worse comes to worse.. then i will fly home on my own.

Fran
12-Apr-09, 00:44
Brandy, himselfs passport had ran out and we were told he could get it renewed quickly if it was accompanied by a letter from the doctor saying he was terminally ill. this I did and it was back in days, so please dont delay. Unfortunately, himself was too ill and we never got to amsterdam.
I was looking at flights just now Inverness to chicago or Boston with American airlines is £356 return including taxes. Of course, i dont know where you are going to but maBE THIS HELPS.

If your passpot doesnt run out till october then you can use it till then.

annemarie482
12-Apr-09, 09:53
thinking of you brandy xxxxx :(

Fran
14-Apr-09, 00:39
Brandy , do let us know how you are getting on with your travel plans and how your mum is doing. thinking of you.xx

poppett
14-Apr-09, 06:23
Carers UK website might have some relevant information for you Brandy. Hope you are coping ok, thinking of you.