PDA

View Full Version : Tourists.

cuddlepop
11-Apr-09, 20:16
Well are the papers right are you "touristing" at home this easter holidays?

Skye is heaving,the coop on Thursday was like a christmas eve scene.
Not a single easter egg left in the shops and BB,s full.:eek:

Whats it like up in Caithness?

golach
11-Apr-09, 20:44
Good Friday in Edinburgh it was heaving. Visitors (we are not allowed to call them tourists) were fighting with others to get on the tour buses, and the weather was dry

northener
11-Apr-09, 21:18
Looking pretty good up here. I've heard that a lot of places (B+B's) are getting a good amount of business.

Gronnuck
12-Apr-09, 09:26
Good Friday in Edinburgh it was heaving. Visitors (we are not allowed to call them tourists) were fighting with others to get on the tour buses, and the weather was dry

What PC numptie decided that tourists are to be called visitors? The Oxford Dictionary defines ‘visitor’ as someone who will “go see and spend some time in (a place) as a tourist”.

They’re tourists and the country is filling up with them because they are getting more pounds for their Dollars, Yen, Euros. There's a lot to see and do in this great country. Good news for the tourist industry and great to see and meet such a wide variety of people.

golach
12-Apr-09, 09:43
What PC numptie decided that tourists are to be called visitors? The Oxford Dictionary defines ‘visitor’ as someone who will “go see and spend some time in (a place) as a tourist”.

They’re tourists and the country is filling up with them because they are getting more pounds for their Dollars, Yen, Euros. There's a lot to see and do in this great country. Good news for the tourist industry and great to see and meet such a wide variety of people.

Sorry Gronnuck, I have to disagree, IMHO, the term Visitor is a much more friendly and personal term to use

"Visitor is the general term for one who comes to see a person or spend some time in a place, whether for social, business, or professional reasons, or for pleasure"
This definition comes from the Chambers Dictionary, the Scottish Dictionary I prefer to use
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Chambers_of_Glenormiston

northener
12-Apr-09, 09:53
I'm not normally a fan of 're-branding' (for want of a better expression...maybe the expression 're-branding' needs...er, re-branding), but I agree with Golach on this one.

'Tourist' has almost become a term of derision in some places. Visions of gormless looking people wandering about in brand-new white trainers gawping at everything and buying rubbish souveniers whilst asking stupid questions spring to mind.

'Visitor' I think fits the bill a lot better.

Gronnuck
12-Apr-09, 12:20
[quote=northener;532127]'Tourist' has almost become a term of derision in some places. Visions of gormless looking people wandering about in brand-new white trainers gawping at everything and buying rubbish souveniers whilst asking stupid questions spring to mind.
quote]

Well I didn't realise 'Tourists' were held in such distain. I learn something every day! What a pity some of us fall into the trap of stereotyping people who are exploring this country of ours.

Whoever they are, whatever people want to call them, I see them as friends I haven’t met yet regardless of the colour of their trainers!?@#!

teenybash
12-Apr-09, 12:30

Who says you are not allowed to called them tourists?.............I'm confused:confused

northener
12-Apr-09, 12:39
IIRC Teenybash, Golach is a Tour Guide in Auld Reekie. So I would guess it is part of his brief from the Tour Operators.

golach
12-Apr-09, 14:12
IIRC Teenybash, Golach is a Tour Guide in Auld Reekie. So I would guess it is part of his brief from the Tour Operators.
You are 100% as usual Northener ;)

cuddlepop
12-Apr-09, 16:59
Now if"tourists" have to be rebranded visitors does that mean the "travel and tourism" qualification has to be called ????.:confused

Whats wrong with being a good old fashion "tourist".

Spot the "visitor" doesnt have the same appeal as spot the " tourist".;)

By the way they are out numbering locals just now.:lol:.......or it just feels like it.

golach
12-Apr-09, 17:25
[quote=cuddlepop;532305]Now if"tourists" have to be rebranded visitors does that mean the "travel and tourism" qualification has to be called ????./quote]
There is no rebranding at all, just the company I work for likes we guides to refer to the Visitors/Tourists, as visitors when we are talking to them, it makes for a more friendly atmosphere, I can tell you it works :)

hotrod4
12-Apr-09, 17:31
The difference between a "tourist" and a vistor is about 50p up the west cost for a cup of coffee.
Walk in with a sign saying Tourist they will charge you extra, walk in as a visitor and you'll get the same rate as locals!!!![lol]

Rheghead
12-Apr-09, 17:33
It was a pretty sad sight today to see only three caravans on Thurso campsite and very poor numbers at Dunnet.:~(

One wonders if the particles are taking effect?!?:confused

cuddlepop
12-Apr-09, 18:06
It was a pretty sad sight today to see only three caravans on Thurso campsite and very poor numbers at Dunnet.:~(

Maybe its the price of fuel thats keeping them away Rheghead.
Diesel is £1.059 here.

Caithness is a beautiful place and well worth a visit.:D

Allsorts
12-Apr-09, 18:10
Is Thurso camp site open? Thought it was in the process of changing hands so not open yet but I could be wrong.

joxville
12-Apr-09, 19:29

If the tourists are now to be called visitors then shouldn't the tour buses be called visitor buses?

golach
12-Apr-09, 19:59
If the tourists are now to be called visitors then shouldn't the tour buses be called visitor buses?
Simple Jox......Buses tour, .......Visitors visit........simple, gomeerkatdotcom sound effect [lol]

joxville
12-Apr-09, 20:02
Simple Jox......Buses tour, .......Visitors visit........simple, gomeerkatdotcom sound effect [lol]

....but visitors tour which makes them tourists......gocompare. [lol]

golach
12-Apr-09, 20:08
....but visitors tour which makes them tourists......gocompare. [lol]
Catch 22 Jox lol

joxville
12-Apr-09, 21:23
You could call them VCV's~ Visitor Conveyance Vehicles. :)

Gronnuck
12-Apr-09, 22:07

Most caravanners that use to tour at this time of the year would be people who have retired. Unfortunately their savings have been hit hard by the drop in the interest rate so they might be cutting back. A few adventurous families might venture north over the Easter break but with the economy the way it is it's a long way to come for a holiday so people might be tempted to stay closer to home.
With the pound being so weak against the Euro we should hope to see an increase in German motorcyclists and Italian motorhome owners this summer.
Let's keep smiling and our fingers crossed, we need the business.

Kenn
12-Apr-09, 23:19
I'd best just stick to emmets an' grockles then!

arana negra
13-Apr-09, 08:59
hahaha from the beginning of this thread I was waiting for the grockles and emmets laughing out loud here those words make me roll on floor almost [lol]

I think in some areas 'seasonal visitors' are classed as a necessary evil you have to live with and clap your hands in glee when they leave, thankfull they came. Many towns would struggle to survive without them and inconveniences we perceive they can cause.

Gronnuck
13-Apr-09, 10:25
I suspect there are a significant number of Caithness residents who found their little bit of heaven here after they first visited as grockles and emmets, LOL.
I'll hold my hand up and say I was one of them.

northener
13-Apr-09, 12:29
I always liked the narrowboaters description of Tourists who hang around the locks when locking through:

'Gongoozlers'.:Razz

daviddd
13-Apr-09, 20:22
It's been a great weekend for weather here in Caithness - sunny every day - and I've def made the most of it. Well, in fact partly in Sutherland (boooo do I hear?). Saturday risking life and limb on the Golspie MTB track and today MTB'ing doon Strath Strathy. In between helping a friend in a sunny walled garden nearer to home with hundreds of birds gadding about. It's great up here when you get a spell of nice weather - why go away?

Kenneth
14-Apr-09, 11:10
its getting busier by the looks of things, i like seeing tourists in thurso...had two of the loveliest smiliest Koreans take a room in The Central on Friday. Awww they were nice.

northener
14-Apr-09, 15:08
its getting busier by the looks of things, i like seeing tourists in thurso...had two of the loveliest smiliest Koreans take a room in The Central on Friday. Awww they were nice.

Now, they may be smiley...but I'll bet they're sussing out the place to see if it is a suitable location for their nuclear warhead programme.;)

The Far Eastern visitors are always great. So polite, willing to learn and enthusiastic. Pity the s have to literally photograph everything...takes all day to round them up.:Razz

Dadie
14-Apr-09, 22:54
Got asked where we were from on sat at Mey....

Mum and Dad live at BARROCK.......

I lent my bouncy castle to the event as well.....

Hmmm ....

cuddlepop
15-Apr-09, 08:08
This weather has been absolutly fantastic,even if you dont get a chance to go away its brilliant to be able to potter round the garden.

It does mean though that unless the dogs are walked before 9ish the walks are like Buchannan St bus station.:lol:

tonkatojo
15-Apr-09, 08:27
A pall of mine on SKYE called tourists/visitors '' TOUROIDS '' which was quite appropriate for some.

Bruce_H
15-Apr-09, 15:00
Wow, makes me want to swing by lovely Caithness again some time this year. I can easily photograph just about everything (albeit poorly) and spend a great deal of time smiling. Just sort of comes naturally in Caithness.

Maybe a bit of hill walking as well in the strath of Kildonan.

So does it get over run with folks from the south during the spring and summer? I don't mind a crowd, as I more or less find my own way about places, but sometimes it does annoy the local folks.

Bruce H

northener
15-Apr-09, 15:06
Wow, makes me want to swing by lovely Caithness again some time this year. I can easily photograph just about everything (albeit poorly) and spend a great deal of time smiling. Just sort of comes naturally in Caithness.

Maybe a bit of hill walking as well in the strath of Kildonan.

So does it get over run with folks from the south during the spring and summer? I don't mind a crowd, as I more or less find my own way about places, but sometimes it does annoy the local folks.

Bruce H

I doubt very much if you'd annoy anyone, Bruce. Plenty of space up here as you already know. It gets busier in the summer sure, but not exactly bursting with people.