PDA

View Full Version : Dark Humour on the Org

Rheghead
11-Apr-09, 17:11
Is it acceptable behavior to make dark, humerous posts on the Org in the wake of a disaster or death of a celebrity just to lighten the tone? Or are orgers who object to such comments being overly sensitive?:confused

binbob
11-Apr-09, 17:14
Is it acceptable behavior to make dark, humerous posts on the Org in the wake of a disaster or death of a celebrity just to lighten the tone? Or are orgers who object to such comments being overly sensitive?:confused

in my opinion..it is very WRONG to make light of someone else s tragedies.put yourself in their shoes.would u like fun made out of any npublic tragedy if one of ur loved ones were involved.u have made me very cross,.
no more to say on subject,THERE GO I ,BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD..........remember that.:(

hotrod4
11-Apr-09, 17:34
Personally I may find it funny BUT I wouldnt post about it or mention it on the org or in public.The reason for this is though i may find it humorous others may not,so i respect their feelings.

Rheghead
11-Apr-09, 17:34
THERE GO I ,BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD..........remember that.:(

Ironically, that retort has the potential to be even more offensive than what any dark humour can be.:~(

scorrie
11-Apr-09, 17:38
Dark Humour can be a way of coping for people who work in jobs where tragedy is commonplace. There is a difference between Dark Humour and Sick Humour in my opinion. I have a particular dislike for the notion that humour based on religion should be off limits.

"There but for the grace of God" etc

What about those of us who don't believe in God? There, but for the odds of probability, go I?

TRUCKER
11-Apr-09, 17:41
It is just peoples way of dealing with something like that, it can be offensive but its the society we live in.

scorrie
11-Apr-09, 17:46
Personally I may find it funny BUT I wouldnt post about it or mention it on the org or in public.The reason for this is though i may find it humorous others may not,so i respect their feelings.

I find your attitude strange. It is either funny or it isn't. What you are saying is that you might laugh, but only do so in the safety of your own bed, with the covers pulled over your head.

I think there is a world of difference between finding something funny and having a laugh to yourself in public, and actually going up to someone's door and telling them the gag, knowing that they (or theirs) was involved in the relevant incident.

Still you can't beat the good old org. One minute we are all too PC and lily-livered, the next we are an insensitive and heartless bunch. :)

buddyrich
11-Apr-09, 17:50
Im not that bothered. I think humour can take the sting out of some terrible things. Ambulance crews and firemen are famed for being able to see humour in things we'd be horrified by, but how else could you do that kind of work continually without cracking up unless you can laugh.

But then if something bad happened to me, i'd be disturbed if people were cracking jokes on here about it! But people arent generally like that.

I would say if you're going to make rude or sick jokes, think who you're telling it to. I could tell my pals sick or outrageous jokes and it'd be fine, but to do it in the company of strangers would mark me as crass and oafish.

binbob
11-Apr-09, 18:09
Im not that bothered. I think humour can take the sting out of some terrible things. Ambulance crews and firemen are famed for being able to see humour in things we'd be horrified by, but how else could you do that kind of work continually without cracking up unless you can laugh.

But then if something bad happened to me, i'd be disturbed if people were cracking jokes on here about it! But people arent generally like that.

I would say if you're going to make rude or sick jokes, think who you're telling it to. I could tell my pals sick or outrageous jokes and it'd be fine, but to do it in the company of strangers would mark me as crass and oafish.

how true...thank u.

binbob
11-Apr-09, 18:10
Ironically, that retort has the potential to be even more offensive than what any dark humour can be.:~(

oh dear..............................;)

northener
11-Apr-09, 18:32
It depends on how sensitive an individual is on a given subject. What offends one person on a given subject may not register even a reaction with another person.

Black humour is a very subjective thing. You do it or you don't. I do. And I dont give amonkeys about what anyone thinks about my humour...or lack of it.

Mind you there's always been 'delicate blossoms' on this forum who can't wait to be 'offended' by something or other. It makes a change from whingeing about having a poor choice of cushions in Tescos or the crap bus service for them.

Having said that, this is a forum used by all age groups in the community, so I think a certain amount of restraint should be used. But occasionally 'pushing the boundaries' is a good thing IMHO - it wakes people up and encourages lively debate...such as this.

bekisman
11-Apr-09, 20:25
Scorrie; 'Dark Humour can be a way of coping for people who work in jobs where tragedy is commonplace'

Buddyrich; 'firemen are famed for being able to see humour in things we'd be horrified by, but how else could you do that kind of work continually without cracking up unless you can laugh.'

Yes you are both right, but we keep it 'in house' - kind of respect.

Rheghead; 'Is it acceptable behavior to make dark, humerous posts on the Org in the wake of a disaster or death of a celebrity just to lighten the tone?' well I must admit as a Squaddie for 15 years and a Fire-fighter for 11 years, maybe I'm more placed than Rheghead to have an opinion on that one. Bottom line: 'humorous posts on the Org in the wake of a disaster?' is that acceptable?
Nope, in my own opinion it's not. Seeing dogs rip dead babies to bits in Aden; yep, great fun?. Using bin bags to pick up the bits of 'cork' which were the remains of a Harrier pilot, was hilarious?. Getting issued new fire-fighting gear when the human fat of two roasted ladies dripped through the floor onto our uniforms was uproarious?. Using a spade to lever out the burnt remains of a young lad who was trapped in a transit van and burnt alive; that was amusing?. Using a dustpan and brush to sweep a kids brains up after an RTA on the M42; that was side-splitting? could go on..

One of my last shouts in the Fire Service was attending an RTA where a young chap had been flung out of his van and onto the road, his skull had split and his brain was visible. He was conscious, but I knew straight away he was dying. I knelt down and asked his name, he gave it and he asked me if he would be alright.. 'no problem mate, just a bit of a cut, a few stitches and you'll be home to your wife in no time'. He smiled and I watched as his eyes faded away and he was gone. We had a right good laugh over that one I can tell you.

Recently 293 humans died, the youngest quake victim was a five-month-old boy, killed with his mother; still funny?

Ok the mention of using holy oil - is to me - utterly pointless, I am an atheist, BUT to those who need, at this particular time, some crumb of comfort, so be it, who am I to scoff at their beliefs?

Each to his own.

brandy
11-Apr-09, 20:35
i find it heart renching just to see it in the media, the loss the death the utter devistation, to belittle it with crude jokes as you sit safley behind your screen in comfort and safty is in my personal belief beyond horrible.
to crack fun at someones faiths and beliefs or lack of them on a public foum where anyone can see, is just juvinile and sad. to attack a person because they find comfort in doing something as simple as annoiting holy oil, to ease the passing of loved ones or to give comfort to those left behind is mean spirited and just plain nasty.
its not funny, its not witty, its not clever.
maybe some people should simply try growing up and look outside their own little world.

scorrie
11-Apr-09, 20:56
Scorrie; 'Dark Humour can be a way of coping for people who work in jobs where tragedy is commonplace'

Buddyrich; 'firemen are famed for being able to see humour in things we'd be horrified by, but how else could you do that kind of work continually without cracking up unless you can laugh.'

Yes you are both right, but we keep it 'in house' - kind of respect.

Rheghead; 'Is it acceptable behavior to make dark, humerous posts on the Org in the wake of a disaster or death of a celebrity just to lighten the tone?' well I must admit as a Squaddie for 15 years and a Fire-fighter for 11 years, maybe I'm more placed than Rheghead to have an opinion on that one. Bottom line: 'humorous posts on the Org in the wake of a disaster?' is that acceptable?
Nope, in my own opinion it's not. Seeing dogs rip dead babies to bits in Aden; yep, great fun?. Using bin bags to pick up the bits of 'cork' which were the remains of a Harrier pilot, was hilarious?. Getting issued new fire-fighting gear when the human fat of two roasted ladies dripped through the floor onto our uniforms was uproarious?. Using a spade to lever out the burnt remains of a young lad who was trapped in a transit van and burnt alive; that was amusing?. Using a dustpan and brush to sweep a kids brains up after an RTA on the M42; that was side-splitting? could go on..

One of my last shouts in the Fire Service was attending an RTA where a young chap had been flung out of his van and onto the road, his skull had split and his brain was visible. He was conscious, but I knew straight away he was dying. I knelt down and asked his name, he gave it and he asked me if he would be alright.. 'no problem mate, just a bit of a cut, a few stitches and you'll be home to your wife in no time'. He smiled and I watched as his eyes faded away and he was gone. We had a right good laugh over that one I can tell you.

Recently 293 humans died, the youngest quake victim was a five-month-old boy, killed with his mother; still funny?

Ok the mention of using holy oil - is to me - utterly pointless, I am an atheist, BUT to those who need, at this particular time, some crumb of comfort, so be it, who am I to scoff at their beliefs?

Each to his own.

I think you have stretched an original light-hearted comment way beyond the realms of credible argument, with comments about dead babies being ripped to shreds etc

I don't think anyone was trying to suggest that Dark Humour was a way for Firemen etc to cope long-term with a tragic event. Mental scars will always remain. I thought the purpose of "Gallows Humour" was to help people deal with terrible events at the time they occurred. If that is not the case, it seems a fairly pointless exercise.

There was a famous/infamous joke about Lord Mountbatten and dandruff some years ago. I must admit that I laughed when I heard it, despite it being off-colour. It followed an horrific event but no harm was done and we cannot reverse events.

As you say, each to their own.

catran
11-Apr-09, 20:56
i find it heart renching just to see it in the media, the loss the death the utter devistation, to belittle it with crude jokes as you sit safley behind your screen in comfort and safty is in my personal belief beyond horrible.
to crack fun at someones faiths and beliefs or lack of them on a public foum where anyone can see, is just juvinile and sad. to attack a person because they find comfort in doing something as simple as annoiting holy oil, to ease the passing of loved ones or to give comfort to those left behind is mean spirited and just plain nasty.
its not funny, its not witty, its not clever.
maybe some people should simply try growing up and look outside their own little world.
Well said Brandy I thoroughly agree, just yesterday there was a strange post started by Rheghead about a strange happening regarding a someone on the Org. and a sideboard, goodness know but I do not believe in this line of humour . Leave religion alone each to their own except when it becomes fanatical then there is a problem.

Gene Hunt
11-Apr-09, 21:03
Dark Humour is personal taste, I post on another site where the humour would probably induce the birth of kittens amongst some of the sensitive souls here. The way I see it is that whatever I consider to be funny or acceptable dark humour is irrelevant when posting here, the MODS make the rules so I live by them.

Having been in the TA for some years I have seen "Squaddie Humour" up close, in that enviroment it is a way of life. I know a Paramedic who has a VERY dark sense of humour but it helps him deal with what he sees everyday, in fact the darkest humour I have seen has been from members of the Emergency services. Because otherwise they would go mad I suspect.

In my line of work we joke all the time, Air Traffic is a stressful environment and it lessens the tension. Having seen a lad I knew go down the intake of a jet engine at full power the humour after that was darn right black but he would have been saying the same things if it had been one of us.

I think that people who like dark humour have to consider where and when it is used, you have to accept that others dont share it. And people who dont like it have no right to tell others not to use it because who made them the judge of what others should think, say or joke about ??

catran
11-Apr-09, 21:08
foWell Gene Hunt I hope the local fire brigade, coastguards, lifeboat crew and the local boabies sees your posting.Nearl forgot about the ambulance boys who are all so lprofessional I do not think there will be any dark humour lurking there.

northener
11-Apr-09, 21:10
Blimey, opened a right one up this time haven't I?

Did I criticise the Catholic Faith? No.

Did I mock any of the victims? No.

Did I attempt to ridicule any of the rescue efforts? No.

Have I spent all my life 'sheltered behind a computer screen'? No.

Have I been involved in any stressful situations involving loss of life and extreme danger as part of my job? You betcha...

Do I actually care what my critics say about this and will I retract it? Absolutely not.

So get stuffed.[lol]

northener
11-Apr-09, 21:16
foWell Gene Hunt I hope the local fire brigade, coastguards, lifeboat crew and the local boabies sees your posting.Nearl forgot about the ambulance boys who are all so lprofessional I do not think there will be any dark humour lurking there.

Good God...........:roll:

scorrie
11-Apr-09, 21:17

They'll all be too busy laughing to read the org ;)

Dream on if you think there will be no dark humour in those jobs!!

Gene Hunt
11-Apr-09, 21:24

Is that opinion based on working with them or from watching The Bill and Casualty ??

As a member of the TA I have covered for Firemen during strikes, I have worked with Paramedics and Airport Fire crews during real incidents and exercises and in years gone by I have been part of a civilian Mountain Rescue team pulling people both injured and dead off hills. My view is based on what I have seen, I have the utmost respect for them and what they do but I have seen a lot of dark humour in those times, I have joined in with it and even started it on occasion.

It doesn't mean you don't have respect for the victims, its a safety valve for yourself.

catran
11-Apr-09, 21:53
Is that opinion based on working with them or from watching The Bill and Casualty ??

As a member of the TA I have covered for Firemen during strikes, I have worked with Paramedics and Airport Fire crews during real incidents and exercises and in years gone by I have been part of a civilian Mountain Rescue team pulling people both injured and dead off hills. My view is based on what I have seen, I have the utmost respect for them and what they do but I have seen a lot of dark humour in those times, I have joined in with it and even started it on occasion.

It doesn't mean you don't have respect for the victims, its a safety valve for yourself.
I have worked with them and I do not watch rubbish on TVand as a matter of fact I have a friend who was in the Mountain Rescue Team for many many years so I must have a quick word the next time we meet regarding this subject

gleeber
11-Apr-09, 21:59
I think what Northerner and his supporters are saying is that those of us who are uneasy with the dark humour about the earthquake are over sensitive. It is a sensitivity but it's more than that. Its a kind of empathy and sometimes dark humour can go too far too early.
It's 20 years since Hillsborough. Can you imagine any policeman or fireman making a darkly humourous comment about that disasteer a day or two after it happened? They would've been lynched! There's plenty other tragedies that rule would apply to too.
There's no need to telll us to get stuffed. I'm just stating the case for the defence, or is it the prosecution? :confused

Ash
11-Apr-09, 22:01
I have to admit i do enjoy dark humour, last weekend i was watching Jimmy Carr in Glasgow and ive never laughed so much in my life, but i dont like certain jokes that do the rounds in txt messaging

Gene Hunt
11-Apr-09, 22:09
I have worked with them and I do not watch rubbish on TVand as a matter of fact I have a friend who was in the Mountain Rescue Team for many many years so I must have a quick word the next time we meet regarding this subject

Well ask your friend if he/she knows what a CAT 5 is, it's an RAF aircraft term associated with casualties because of its meaning, if he/she knows what it is he has been part of dark humour. Or if he/she has heard of the BSE related comment made at the scene of a foreign miltairy aircraft crash a few years back that went down in legend.

northener
11-Apr-09, 22:16
I think what Northerner and his supporters are saying is that those of us who are uneasy with the dark humour about the earthquake are over sensitive. It is a sensitivity but it's more than that. Its a kind of empathy and sometimes dark humour can go too far too early.
It's 20 years since Hillsborough. Can you imagine any policeman or fireman making a darkly humourous comment about that disasteer a day or two after it happened? They would've been lynched! There's plenty other tragedies that rule would apply to too.
There's no need to telll us to get stuffed. I'm just stating the case for the defence, or is it the prosecution? :confused

Fair comment Gleeber.

But what have all the following got in common?

The death of Princess Diana, Space Shuttle explosion, The Tsunami, 9/11? -
They all were the subject of black humour almost immediately after the event. Much of it coming from people who were involved in one way or another. So it aint nothing new and it aint a minority.

There appears to be an opinion on here that anyone who 'uses' black humour lacks empathy. Frankly, I find that such a simplistic and niaive viewpoint that it is laughable in itself. And that's why I'm digging my heels in over this. It may offend some peoples' sensibilities, but not mine. Live with it.

I'm just waiting for someone to cry out "Will nobody think of the children?"
That would really top it off.....

GetWithTheTimes
11-Apr-09, 22:21
humour is humour i dont see why anyone should be not allowed to speak their mind or tell jokes they and some others like just because it may offend others when the people who dont like the jokes dont have to sit and read them or take part in telling them and also dont have to greet and moan coz someone told a joke they dont like

the worlds full of things we dont like we dont stop everyone doing things we dont like just to keep ourselves happy its impossible as there are so many people who like so many different things we cant keep everyone happy

also i think rheghead was going on about dark humour not making fun of someones dead son that comes in here to talk, i personally think alot of people in here are too sensitive and especially the people who report others for jokes and minor swears as its a forum for all ages lol i think these parents and other people have to get in touch with the youth these days i think they would faint if they knew what their kids did and said that they never new about hahaha the jokes people want to say here are mild compared to the jokes kids tell, and not even allowed to mask swears as $£*& or something similar is rediculous in my mind to as this is a community forum so why should the rules be made for just the timid sensitive easily offended people maybe there should be an option to make a thread have a symbol to show its adult content or dark humour so the easily offended dont even have to look at it they can just miss it out, i also think an unmoderated thread would be good so people can go there and tell rude jokes and swear if they wish as you will find alot of people dont mind swearing or rude or dirty jokes and as a resident of caithness i feel that me and others deserve to have a thread of some sort so that we can "get the crack" and have good banter as we would face to face without the worry if being banned or getting points for speaking as we would normally (just an idea although i anticipate it will be shot down)

Gene Hunt
11-Apr-09, 22:23
When my nephew was born I got him a t-shirt that said "Recently Evicted" on the front.

No doubt some people will take that as a dig at the homeless though.

gleeber
11-Apr-09, 22:24
Fair comment Gleeber.

But what have all the following got in common?

The death of Princess Diana, Space Shuttle explosion, The Tsunami, 9/11? -
They all were the subject of black humour almost immediately after the event. Much of it coming from people who were involved in one way or another. So it aint nothing new and it aint a minority.

There appears to be an opinion on here that anyone who 'uses' black humour lacks empathy. Frankly, I find that such a simplistic and niaive viewpoint that it is laughable in itself. And that's why I'm digging my heels in over this. It may offend some peoples' sensibilities, but not mine. Live with it.

I'm just waiting for someone to cry out "Will nobody think of the children?"
That would really top it off.....
Aye thats fair enough and I must admit im surprised at the closeness of the poll. This kind of communication is relatively modern and the closeness of the relationships make this kind of conflict easier to happen I think.
Its not a niave view of things and I never said you lacked empathy. It's obviously a different kind and we will have to live with that.

scorrie
11-Apr-09, 23:20
It's 20 years since Hillsborough. Can you imagine any policeman or fireman making a darkly humourous comment about that disasteer a day or two after it happened?

I am fairly sure, but not absolutely certain, that it was reported that Police had dubbed the Leppings Lane End of Hillsborough Stadium the "Lemmings Lane End" by the end of the day. I certainly recall hearing the term within 24 hrs of the incident.

gleeber
12-Apr-09, 00:00
It may well be the case Scorrie but if they had posted that on a public internet website it would have caused a storm. Dont you think?

changilass
12-Apr-09, 00:22
An hour is 60 miles, its not exactly very close, sorry.

brandy
12-Apr-09, 00:33
depends on how you look at it... golspie is about an hour away.. thats not very far. i have friends that live in golspie and brora and inverness... not very far away at all.. dounreay is about 40 min away.. but how many loved ones do we have there?

Venture
12-Apr-09, 00:45
An hour is 60 miles, its not exactly very close, sorry.

You're all heart.:roll:

northener
12-Apr-09, 00:58
.........Its not a niave view of things and I never said you lacked empathy. It's obviously a different kind and we will have to live with that.

Apologies Gleeber. Bad sentance construction on my part - I wasn't aiming my comment about empathy at you personally.

I must be overly sensitive as I object to such comments. On the other hand it might have something to do with the fact that my mother, who is 83, is Italian and we have relatives who live only an hour away from where the eathquake struck.

I sincerely hope her and your relatives are all safe. But there will always be someone who is personally involved, or who has friends or relatives involved in any incident that takes place around the globe.
Doesn't really change anything as far as I am concerned. My comment ridiculed no-one.

Moving on.

There were a lot of jokes flying around during and after the Falklands War. No doubt most people have heard, for example, the 'Exocet' contraceptive joke?

I fought all the way thorough that conflict. We sat and watched the Sheffield burn on the horizon after Task Force Command refused to heed our EW warnings about incoming Exocet-armed Super Etendard, felt completely crushed when the Coventry turned turtle and went under with our friends still on board and watched various brave Argentine pilots get blown into little pieces - as well as some of our own comrades. I lost more than a few oppos down there and we were the only warship out of our squadron that wasn't sunk.

When we got back we had to put up with armchair idiots telling us what we did wrong and comediens making jokes about the whole thing. TBH, we weren't bothered about the jokes - we'd made up enough ourselves. We were more bothered about the ill-informed rubbish being spouted by various people up and down the country.

So I've been on the 'receiving end' big time, thankyou very much. And I still don't have a problem with it up to a point.

Anyway, must dash. i have to go and kick some puppies.

hotrod4
12-Apr-09, 05:40
I find your attitude strange. It is either funny or it isn't. What you are saying is that you might laugh, but only do so in the safety of your own bed, with the covers pulled over your head.

I think there is a world of difference between finding something funny and having a laugh to yourself in public, and actually going up to someone's door and telling them the gag, knowing that they (or theirs) was involved in the relevant incident.

Still you can't beat the good old org. One minute we are all too PC and lily-livered, the next we are an insensitive and heartless bunch. :)
What I meant with my post is that I Personally find it funny but that doesnt mean that everyone else would. For example I think Roy chubby brown is a genius and would pay money to see him,wheras some may find him crass or offensive and wouldnt.So I would use my choice to watch him wheras others wouldnt,but if its posted on an open forum and you read it you have no choice.
Hope that explains it better,or do I have to resort to kitten jokes?[lol]

Ricco
12-Apr-09, 09:34
Dark humour is a dichotomous aspect of human nature - some find it funny and some do not. However, I do think it is offensive if the practitioners shove it down the throats of those who object. I also personally find it dictatorial and offensive when someone tells the rest of us to get stuffed. This exhibits a self-centred and insensitive attitude.

Do I actually care what my critics say about this and will I retract it? Absolutely not.

So get stuffed.[lol]

I agree with gleeber with his coment about the empathy (and compassion) that many of us feel in these situations. So, Northerner - you made a public statement for all to get stuffed; how about a public statement of apology?

northener
12-Apr-09, 09:56
[quote=Ricco;532120....... So, Northerner - you made a public statement for all to get stuffed; how about a public statement of apology?[/quote]

No, get stuffed.:Razz

binbob
12-Apr-09, 10:12
I must be overly sensitive as I object to such comments. On the other hand it might have something to do with the fact that my mother, who is 83, is Italian and we have relatives who live only an hour away from where the eathquake struck.

i can understand that feeling,venture.i hope ur relatives are all fine.

binbob
12-Apr-09, 10:14
You're all heart.:roll:

never mind these insensitive comments,venture.u know the saying what goes round ,comes around.i think we should ignore these people.

GetWithTheTimes
12-Apr-09, 10:15

ahahahahaha quite right :)

GetWithTheTimes
12-Apr-09, 10:20
Well said Brandy I thoroughly agree, just yesterday there was a strange post started by Rheghead about a strange happening regarding a someone on the Org. and a sideboard, goodness know but I do not believe in this line of humour . Leave religion alone each to their own except when it becomes fanatical then there is a problem.

why should people leave religion alone they are quick enough to bad mouth things they dont agree with, alot of my family are devout christians and when im around them all you hear is them whittling on about this person did this that person did that oohh i think its a sin for him to do this its wrong to do that its evil to do this, why should they be left un ridiculed when they are quick enough to ridicule and look down on other people for what they believe or dont believe and do or dont do

balto
12-Apr-09, 10:35
well if im honest i like a bit of black humour myself, but there really is a limit, if you know it will really hurt someone then surly you have crossed the line.

balto
12-Apr-09, 10:36
When my nephew was born I got him a t-shirt that said "Recently Evicted" on the front.

No doubt some people will take that as a dig at the homeless though.
now i find that funny lol.[lol]

balto
12-Apr-09, 10:40
now making a joke about something like that is way out of order, all these people who have lost loved ones or who are now homeless how can anyone find that amusing, i personnaly would say anyone that did was sick.

GetWithTheTimes
12-Apr-09, 10:48
well if im honest i like a bit of black humour myself, but there really is a limit, if you know it will really hurt someone then surly you have crossed the line.

well unless you are a nasty person you arent going to say something that know will HURT someone involved with what you are making fun of and if you do you would appologise but i dont see why people shouldnt be able to have dark humour just because others dont like it or are easily offended by it i also laugh at the people i meet on forums that are offended when you type like txt (bk l8t c u thn) i find it funny how a bunch of hermits who never leave the computer screen get so angry just because your typing wasnt in perfect grammar, especially when they wouldnt have the guts to correct you or be so smart with their comments to your face lol internet hardmen hahaha most of the people that are all confident and think they know best are probably shy little nerds that would jump if you went boo to them and alot of people in forums just agree like sheep to the more popular people to fit in just like in real society because if they dont agree with the crowd they like they risk falling out with them over the topic where as i speak up for what i believe in whether my friends agree or not and i dont take offence or insult by what others say im not sensitive in the slightest so dont get all upset over a dirty joke or a dark joke if i dont like something i simply dont read it or take it in or read it and just forget about it its that simple, spamming is hard not to get annoyed at but to take offence or kick up a fuss over someones opinion and leave bad rep or report them is just childish IMO

also a community isnt made up of all like minded people and people who are different in opinion shouldnt be treated different or be punished for it

balto
12-Apr-09, 10:50
well unless you are a nasty person you arent going to say something that know will HURT someone involved with what you are making fun of and if you do you would appologise but i dont see why people shouldnt be able to have dark humour just because others dont like it or are easily offended by it i also laugh at the people i meet on forums that are offended when you type like txt (bk l8t c u thn) i find it funny how a bunch of hermits who never leave the computer screen get so angry just because your typing wasnt in perfect grammar, especially when they wouldnt have the guts to correct you or be so smart with their comments to your face lol internet hardmen hahaha most of the people that are all confident and think they know best are probably shy little nerds that would jump if you went boo to them and alot of people in forums just agree like sheep to the more popular people to fit in just like in real society because if they dont agree with the crowd they like they risk falling out with them over the topic where as i speak up for what i believe in whether my friends agree or not and i dont take offence or insult by what others say im not sensitive in the slightest so dont get all upset over a dirty joke or a dark joke if i dont like something i simply dont read it or take it in or read it and just forget about it its that simple, spamming is hard not to get annoyed at but to take offence or kick up a fuss over someones opinion and leave bad rep or report them is just childish IMO
totally agree with you on everything you have said, behind a computer screen you can pretend to be something you arent .

northener
12-Apr-09, 10:55
Ricco, to elaborate:

If you think for one minute that I'm going to back down and indulge my critics with a hand-wringing apology because some people are upset by my views and attitude, you've got a long wait.

I am not some gutless politician terrified of not being popular. I have my opinions and I will stand my ground unless I choose to do otherwise. I will not have my opinion dictated by those who choose to differ.
And, it must be said, if the situation was reversed I certainly would never attempt to coerce apologies from anyone on here who has the guts to stand their ground and not flounce into the sunset at the merest hint of conflict.

Apologise? Have a look at the poll results. Ayes and Nayes are neck and neck! Hardly a minority viewpoint is it? It may suprise you to know that I didn't vote 'Yes' in that poll. I'm a 'not bothered'.

Attempting to dictate someone elses viewpoint is rather more distasteful than my original comment, Ricco. And I'm suprised at that coming from you. I'd expect it off some of the professional 'Ooh, I'm offended' dullards that inhabit this place - but not you. Would you care to apologise?;)

Apologise? My arse.

Next.

Gene Hunt
12-Apr-09, 11:01
never mind these insensitive comments,venture.u know the saying what goes round ,comes around.i think we should ignore these people.

Hey .. That flying teddy nearly hit me !!

I see what you mean though, in my youth I "hit it and quit it" on a regular basis. I could exit a girls bedroom with the stealth of a Ninja in slippers walking on a bed of cotton wool. Maybe the circle coming full circle was my brush with Testicle cancer. Bert and Ernie were split up from a very successful partnership (that's right, I named the twins) but if that was the case don't tell the man upstairs but he left me with the best one. I have now named him Cookie Monster as it enables me to chase the wife around with my arms outstreched and hands in a fast moving grabbing motion yelling .. "Cookies !! .. COOKIES !!"

Oh no hang on. Testicular Cancer is a serious subject and I should treat what happened to me in that manner. Pass the tissues and the darkened room please, I should really go and have a weep.

Everyone in life has the wheel turn on them, that is not in doubt. From what I have seen the people who come out of it on top are those who approach it with a sense of humour and never let their downs own their ups. I would rather be that than become someone cruising the world being offended all the time. If people cant see the difference between a joke that is vaguley related to a situation and a direct insult might I suggest Specsavers .. you can really see the difference there I have heard.

GetWithTheTimes
12-Apr-09, 11:04
Everyone in life has the wheel turn on them, that is not in doubt. From what I have seen the people who come out of it on top are those who approach it with a sense of humour and never let their downs own their ups. I would rather be that than become someone cruising the world being offended all the time. If people cant see the difference between a joke that is vaguley related to a situation and a direct insult might I suggest Specsavers .. you can really see the difference there I have heard.

well said gene

teenybash
12-Apr-09, 12:44
I feel there is a place for 'dark humour' and as probably said before, it is a coping mechanism, a form of protection in particular for those who work on the frontlines of distaster.
Can you imagine what it would be like if you worked in the rescue service, medical profession both physical and mental, forensics, police, ambulance and fire service, etc........without a little dark humour it would be very difficult to handle the situations that were shocking and emotions would be overwhelmed........humour is needed and acts as a barrier to some of the horrors. Of course there will be those who who try to conceal 'sick humour' but, usually this can be seen and sensed.
Who hasn't felt a giggle rise in their throat when someone trips and falls, landing in an untidy heap or at an inappropriate moment.............humour, dark or othewise is a release mechanism which is quite natural to the human psyche.

binbob
12-Apr-09, 13:34
Hey .. That flying teddy nearly hit me !!

I see what you mean though, in my youth I "hit it and quit it" on a regular basis. I could exit a girls bedroom with the stealth of a Ninja in slippers walking on a bed of cotton wool. Maybe the circle coming full circle was my brush with Testicle cancer. Bert and Ernie were split up from a very successful partnership (that's right, I named the twins) but if that was the case don't tell the man upstairs but he left me with the best one. I have now named him Cookie Monster as it enables me to chase the wife around with my arms outstreched and hands in a fast moving grabbing motion yelling .. "Cookies !! .. COOKIES !!"

Oh no hang on. Testicular Cancer is a serious subject and I should treat what happened to me in that manner. Pass the tissues and the darkened room please, I should really go and have a weep.

go fly a kite ....[lol]

Ricco
12-Apr-09, 14:05

Charmed, I'm sure. I never said the apology had to hand-wringing but I am taken aback for a second time at your use of language and, if I may say so, agressive approach - especially to someone who dares to speak up. I think that I and others are just as much entitled to put forward our point of view, albei in a less intensive manner.

northener
12-Apr-09, 14:15
And it's 22/20 to the Outraged Ones.
'Get A Grip You Gits' is desperately trying to catch up with 'Couldn't Give A Monkeys' trailing now at 15. But it could come through with a late surge.

Get A Grip's jockey - the infamous Northener, who's been accused of using the whip too often - is the subject of a stewards enquiry after being given the only red card of his career. The issuer of the red card has disabled their reputation in a tactical move to prevent a possible reprisal.

But it may be too late - the news from the Get A Grip stable is that the jockey is aware of this Red Card and is going to get the objector after the race is over. Possibly on the way home or at Lunchbreak the next day.

Gripping stuff......and back to the studio.

TBH
12-Apr-09, 14:21
Two fellows were sitting in a coffee shop...suddenly the Town's Fire Alarm went off ... one jumped up and headed for the door ... his friend shouted, "Hey, Tom, I didn't know you were a fireman!"
Tom replied, "I'm not, but my girlfriend's husband is...
There is a report that a 2 seater private plane has crashed into a cemetary in N. Ireland. The fire department has reported recovering over 300 bodies and are still digging.

scorrie
12-Apr-09, 14:23
What I meant with my post is that I Personally find it funny but that doesnt mean that everyone else would. For example I think Roy chubby brown is a genius and would pay money to see him,wheras some may find him crass or offensive and wouldnt.So I would use my choice to watch him wheras others wouldnt,but if its posted on an open forum and you read it you have no choice.
Hope that explains it better,or do I have to resort to kitten jokes?[lol]

The poll question asks whether jokes about sad events are acceptable. If you find that type of joke to be funny, then surely you have made the decision that the joke was acceptable?

If you picture yourself in a busy Wetherspoons and someone else tells you the same joke for the first time, does the joke suddenly become unfunny because you happen to be in public and are afraid to laugh in case someone takes offence?

Following on from that, would any joke become less funny to you because it was printed on an open forum? For me, a joke is either funny or it isn't. Northerners original gag was pretty mild by any standards and it was not aimed at an individual. We are talking about an observation on an event, albeit a tragic one.

I see a big difference between a general remark concerning an event, and a deliberate personal assault on an individual, eg Ross and Brand on Andrew Sachs.

scorrie
12-Apr-09, 14:28
And it's 22/20 to the Outraged Ones.
'Get A Grip You Gits' is desperately trying to catch up with 'Couldn't Give A Monkeys' trailing now at 15. But it could come through with a late surge.

Get A Grip's jockey - the infamous Northener, who's been accused of using the whip too often - is the subject of a stewards enquiry after being given the only red card of his career. The issuer of the red card has disabled their reputation in a tactical move to prevent a possible reprisal.

But it may be too late - the news from the Get A Grip stable is that the jockey is aware of this Red Card and is going to get the objector after the race is over. Possibly on the way home or at Lunchbreak the next day.

Gripping stuff......and back to the studio.

I am led to believe that you can still leave reputation for users with disabled rep.

Gene Hunt
12-Apr-09, 14:30
go fly a kite ....[lol]

I prefer gliders actually, one of my favourite tricks is to take a spare control stick top up with me. After launch I like to hold the stick top up so the back seater can see it and yell "The darn things come off, have you ever landed one of these things before ??"

Always fun .. [evil]:lol:

northener
12-Apr-09, 14:36
Charmed, I'm sure. I never said the apology had to hand-wringing but I am taken aback for a second time at your use of language and, if I may say so, agressive approach - especially to someone who dares to speak up. I think that I and others are just as much entitled to put forward our point of view, albei in a less intensive manner.

But you did ask for an apology, Ricco. And you still are by the looks of it.
I replied in a robust manner, not an abusive manner. If this offends your delicate senses, then there is little I can do about that......
I've used the same tone to defend others in the past on this site and have never been criticised by anyone for doing that. So I'm damned sure it's OK for me to defend myself in the same manner if I see fit.

You mentioned being criticised for 'daring to speak up'... And where exactly did I criticise you for speaking up? Evidence please, not opinion.

"I think that I and others are just as much entitled to put forward our point of view..." And I have never said otherwise anywhere. Again, provide evidence of me contradicting this opinion, please.

I have no problems with your apparent dislike of Black Humour, Ricco. But I have a very, very big problem with you thinking you can dictate to me what I should say, think and apologise for.

If you can't see that, then you really can get stuffed.;)

I respect your right to an opposing view and your right to defend it in a manner you see fit.....may I suggest you extend the same courtesy to me?

changilass
12-Apr-09, 14:40
I don't understand why someone who has disabled their rep would feel the need to dish it out to others. If you can't take it don't deal it. Rep on its way :lol:

GetWithTheTimes
12-Apr-09, 14:47
well to be honest in my opinion the sensitive ones have lost so far as 20 are for it and 14 dont mind so really 34 people arent offended and 23 are

stick that in your pipe and smoke it :Razz

binbob
12-Apr-09, 14:54
I don't understand why someone who has disabled their rep would feel the need to dish it out to others. If you can't take it don't deal it. Rep on its way :lol:

so very kind of u....remember we have freedom [or so called freedom] here.i therefore can do as i please with my rep.

might return u the favour soon[evil]

changilass
12-Apr-09, 14:57
lol binbob, would you like me to 'get stuffed' before or after that?

Whitewater
12-Apr-09, 15:03
I voted 'not bothered' on this subject. There have been some great posts from both points of view, but I don't think we should be slagging each other off because we have a different opinion.
About 25yrs ago a close friend of mine was killed in strange circumstances, as the manner of his death was being recounted to me, the person telling me had great difficulty in controlling his feelings, I thought he was about to burst into tears, but when he had completed the sorry tale we both burst out laughing aloud. I'm sure that if it had happened more recently it would have made the Darwin Awards. However, I'm sure that many of the more sensitive souls on here will be offended by that. But we were not being disrespectful, we were both deeply hurt and saddened that such a stupid action should have cost him his life.
I can understand why all the people from the emergency services have to try and get humour (dark or otherwise) into certain situations. If they didn't they would probably go insane with all the horific tragedies they come across on a daily basis.

percy toboggan
12-Apr-09, 15:55
Humour is humorous to somebody.
Nobody has the right NOT to be offended.
If you don't find something funny don't laugh...or go suck a lemon.

scorrie
12-Apr-09, 16:16
Humour is humorous to somebody.
Nobody has the right NOT to be offended.
If you don't find something funny don't laugh...or go suck a lemon.

Pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

When you visit an internet forum, you don't know what to expect. Even a moderated forum will cause offence to someone, at sometime.

If a forum is to pander to every single whim of those who are offended, it will only ever be able to move to the threshold of tolerance of the most easily offended member of that forum. The forum would become stale and mundane very quickly.

If you walk into a bar and someone tells a joke you find offensive, you probably finish your dram and walk out. You COULD go up and tell the person you were offended but it would only be right for another person to tell you "Here, I thought that joke was funny and I wasn't at all offended"

Who is right in that scenario?

It is totally different to a guy cursing and swearing, clearly upsetting most customers, and being swiftly told to leave by the staff.

bekisman
12-Apr-09, 16:59
Northerner; 'The issuer of the red card ' Well that's weird, this post has generated an interesting collection of viewpoints, but I find in my own opinion that for someone to give out a red rep because another poster has given a different point of view is very sad indeed and may well reflect their own lack of allowing others their right to their own opinion.

cuddlepop
12-Apr-09, 17:04
Northerner; 'The issuer of the red card ' Well that's weird, this post has generated an interesting collection of viewpoints, but I find in my own opinion that for someone to give out a red rep because another poster has given a different point of view is very sad indeed and may well reflect their own lack of allowing others their right to their own opinion.

This is very sad.
I think personally we should do away with the rep system.

My opinion is that I'm not bothered.People have their own way of dealing with tradgedy.I get serious,my OH makes light of it but that doesnt mean he doesnt have any feelings thats just him.:)

Gene Hunt
12-Apr-09, 17:04
Just been tinkering around on the computer and it led me to make the attached non offensive Dark Humour poster.

Enjoy
file:///C:/Users/Brian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

GetWithTheTimes
12-Apr-09, 17:07
Just been tinkering around on the computer and it led me to make the attached non offensive Dark Humour poster.

Enjoy
file:///C:/Users/Brian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

rofl iron my shirt hahaha

gee
12-Apr-09, 17:08
humor is humor dont be so sensitive

hotrod4
12-Apr-09, 17:16
The poll question asks whether jokes about sad events are acceptable. If you find that type of joke to be funny, then surely you have made the decision that the joke was acceptable?

If you picture yourself in a busy Wetherspoons and someone else tells you the same joke for the first time, does the joke suddenly become unfunny because you happen to be in public and are afraid to laugh in case someone takes offence?

Following on from that, would any joke become less funny to you because it was printed on an open forum? For me, a joke is either funny or it isn't. Northerners original gag was pretty mild by any standards and it was not aimed at an individual. We are talking about an observation on an event, albeit a tragic one.

I see a big difference between a general remark concerning an event, and a deliberate personal assault on an individual, eg Ross and Brand on Andrew Sachs.
I do like dark Humour, but others dont thats my point!. I do recall that i couldnt discuss Football/Religion as it was offensive to some. You yourself scorrie got on the soapbox about that, so what is the difference with dark humour? So dark Humour is Ok as long as it doesnt offend you?
the point I am making is this is a Public forum, wheras i am a member of several forums where anything goes, but that is specialised sites that allow Dark and Adult Humour and are not a "community" website as was pointed out to me on numerous occasions regarding Football and religion.
Confused.com :confused

scorrie
12-Apr-09, 18:08
I do like dark Humour, but others dont thats my point!. I do recall that i couldnt discuss Football/Religion as it was offensive to some. You yourself scorrie got on the soapbox about that, so what is the difference with dark humour? So dark Humour is Ok as long as it doesnt offend you?
the point I am making is this is a Public forum, wheras i am a member of several forums where anything goes, but that is specialised sites that allow Dark and Adult Humour and are not a "community" website as was pointed out to me on numerous occasions regarding Football and religion.
Confused.com :confused

I think you are missing my point entirely and getting personal as a result.

The football spats that used to develop on here were nothing whatever to do with humour and were simply tennis matches of racially loaded lobs back and forth across the net. It was the same old tedious nonsense that had nothing at all to do with discussing the actual football on the field. People barged into posts which were trying to discuss the footballing merits of both sides in a rational manner, bringing the usual old tirade of tired abuse. That is not Humour and it was clear that certain people were ruining any possibility of football remaining a topic.

We are not talking about other forums here, and you are incorrect about not being to be able to talk about Religion on THIS forum. Some people wanted it to be a banned topic but it was put to a vote, a few years ago, and it was overwhelmingly decided that it was desired as remaining a topic for discussion.

My point is very simple, so I cannot understand your confusion.

You like Dark Humour, other people don't like it. So does that mean that they control your right to find something funny or not? The way I see it, you are advocating laughing like a drain at home about a joke if you see fit, but then tut-tutting about it being out of order if you are in public.

I think you are missing the point that nobody is FORCED to read the comments on this forum. Someone makes a decision to enter the forum and read the posts. If they don't like what they read they can click the window closed. A moderated forum such as this one, has people who decide when something crosses the line and becomes unacceptable. As I have said earlier, there is little merit in a forum that is controlled by the most easily offended user. That is my opinion, no soapbox involved.

hotrod4
12-Apr-09, 18:18
My point is very simple, so I cannot understand your confusion.

You like Dark Humour, other people don't like it. So does that mean that they control your right to find something funny or not? The way I see it, you are advocating laughing like a drain at home about a joke if you see fit, but then tut-tutting about it being out of order if you are in public.

I know what you are saying, I am one of the sickest puppies I ever met!!![lol]
But on a forum for the community where kids and the easily offended lurk in the background, maybe it is innapropriate?

I dont bow to censorship but you do have to play by the rules sometimes and feel that some things are maybe best said where they canbe said freely and are accepted by like minded individuals.

I never seen the joke that northerner put, but knowing the mother of all bins it was probably funny!!:lol:

horseman
12-Apr-09, 19:45
Surely to goodness it comes down to 'manners'
7 lettered word,easily pronounced an spelt.
It kind'a hints an encourages towards kindliness .(one word) easily given an most warmly accepted.-

porshiepoo
12-Apr-09, 20:23
Personally I have no problem with dark humour, light humour or any other kind of humour.
We all have different personalities and all have different ways of dealing with tragic and/or desperate situations or news.
However, we all have on thing in common and that is the choice or ability to turn the other cheek.
If I don't like a comment that I hear I will say so, if I see a thread that I think is pushing my boundaries a tad I make the choice (which we all have) to not participate in the thread.
For example, I replied to the Ian Tomlinson thread but never pushed the submit button as I felt uncomfortable with the topic - did that twice.
I certainly do not think that anyone should change their own personalities to fit in with my own or those of anyone else.

Scorrie was correct IMO with the claim that no one on this forum is forced to either read or reply to a thread that they don't like.
If you find it distasteful, move on and don't participate.

Some people on this forum actually love to just stir up trouble though. ;)

scorrie
12-Apr-09, 20:27
I never seen the joke that northerner put, but knowing the mother of all bins it was probably funny!!:lol:

The comment/joke is still there on the Holy Oils thread. Prepare to be shocked ;)

porshiepoo
12-Apr-09, 20:29
in my opinion..it is very WRONG to make light of someone else s tragedies.put yourself in their shoes.would u like fun made out of any npublic tragedy if one of ur loved ones were involved.u have made me very cross,.
no more to say on subject,THERE GO I ,BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD..........remember that.:(

I'd actually accept the fact that the world is full of people with different personalities, differing intelligences, different ways of life and dealing with things, than myself.

The world would be a naff place if we were all "cross" everytime we hear something we don't like or disagree with. Wouldn't it?

northener
12-Apr-09, 20:43
"28/25 to the 'Get Over It' gang.

This voting is fascinating me, I never thought it would be this close.

bekisman
12-Apr-09, 23:09
'This voting is fascinating me, I never thought it would be this close'

Is it posible to vote twice (I voted initially one way yesterday and two seconds ago I voted the other - is there a glitch?)

Moira
12-Apr-09, 23:38
'This voting is fascinating me, I never thought it would be this close'

Is it posible to vote twice (I voted initially one way yesterday and two seconds ago I voted the other - is there a glitch?)

Have you not answered your own question?

I've not voted on the poll - yet.

Rheghead
13-Apr-09, 00:14
I don't think it is possible to vote twice unless your using multiple accounts.

hotrod4
13-Apr-09, 06:45
I have just read the aforementioned joke and I am absolutely shocked!!!!. Shocked sickened and disgusted that Northerners pun just wasnt that funny!![lol]
I am more concerned at Northerners lack of a funny bone after I held him in such high esteem for him to let me down with what must be the worst pun he has ever done.
C'mon northerner you can pull one out of the bag cant you? Dont let this one slip away!!!! Get your rhythym back in its method.;)

bekisman
13-Apr-09, 08:27
I know my first vote counted and last night this: (Voters: You have already voted on this poll) was not there.. And I have only one account..

Alice in Blunderland
13-Apr-09, 08:30
You have already voted on this poll appears for me. :)

scorrie
13-Apr-09, 11:14
I have just read the aforementioned joke and I am absolutely shocked!!!!. Shocked sickened and disgusted that Northerners pun just wasnt that funny!![lol]
I am more concerned at Northerners lack of a funny bone after I held him in such high esteem for him to let me down with what must be the worst pun he has ever done.
C'mon northerner you can pull one out of the bag cant you? Dont let this one slip away!!!! Get your rhythym back in its method.;)

I notice that the thread has been closed.

bekisman
13-Apr-09, 11:49
"I notice that the thread has been closed." What this one?

Metalattakk
13-Apr-09, 12:29
No, this (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=73107) one. ;)

northener
13-Apr-09, 12:41

Now you've really upset me.:~(

I've a good mind* to flounce.

*Allegedly.

padfoot
13-Apr-09, 13:23
hahaha have just been reading through this thread and i say i hav to agree that yeah i find dark humour funny why not we hav a rite to think somthing is funny if we want to like a few others hav said if you dnt like it dont read it or just forget about it everyone has a rite to express themselves everybody is different we cant not say anything because it mite offend someone if that was the case everyone would b silent because there is always somthing that offend somone

bekisman
13-Apr-09, 13:32
Metalattakk, ta, I was a bit dense me thinks:confused

catran
13-Apr-09, 22:02
Well what a dose of rubbish( and mostly drivvell) is posted on this org. Going my holidays .Between Northerner and his dark Humour, I rather guess he does not have a clue what he is talking about as usual, Reghead and his seances regarding Tracy the big LOL lady.what can one say? :lol: Statins, and goodness knows what else, makes one boke. Pirates? Could go on and on and I aint got 6 scrolls in my sideboard but common sense does not appear to prevail . It makes one shudder to think that the Life Saving services make black humour out of distressing situations.Hope I do not have a heart attack tonight or drown whilst in the bath.

joxville
13-Apr-09, 23:13
Well what a dose of rubbish( and mostly drivvell) is posted on this org. Going my holidays .Between Northerner and his dark Humour, I rather guess he does not have a clue what he is talking about as usual, Reghead and his seances regarding Tracy the big LOL lady.what can one say? :lol: Statins, and goodness knows what else, makes one boke. Pirates? Could go on and on and I aint got 6 scrolls in my sideboard but common sense does not appear to prevail . It makes one shudder to think that the Life Saving services make black humour out of distressing situations.Hope I do not have a heart attack tonight or drown whilst in the bath.

If you do then don't text for help-they'll never understand you're garbled syntax. ;)

Venture
13-Apr-09, 23:58

With 127 posts I'm sure you will have added to the load of rubbish, just like the rest of us.[lol]

DeHaviLand
14-Apr-09, 00:01

Tell you what mate, if the rubbish and drivel bothers you that much, may I suggest that you simply stop posting it? There you go, problem solved.[evil]:lol:

Rheghead
14-Apr-09, 00:07

I've just told the dwarves about what you posted and six out of seven aren't happy.:~(

Gene Hunt
14-Apr-09, 00:15
YES !! .. Dark Humour in the lead.

Now I don't feel so bad about scaring my daughters friend. She is a nervous flyer who is off on holiday next week and wanted to know the safest place to sit on the aircraft. I suggested the row of seats at the very back of the plane as they rarely reverse into mountains.

Some people make it too easy .. [evil]

scorrie
14-Apr-09, 00:41
Well what a dose of rubbish( and mostly drivvell)

I love an orger who can sum themselves up in a few words.

butterfly
14-Apr-09, 01:57

I think a holiday is just what your needing lol.:roll:

hotrod4
14-Apr-09, 05:51
Now you've really upset me.:~(

I've a good mind* to flounce.

*Allegedly.
Does the mother bin not have comrades that could have written the script for you? Or is it that you are merely suffering from some Northern exposure?[lol]

northener
14-Apr-09, 08:08

Catran, with respect, you appear very keen to criticise people for discussing (or even bantering about) matters that you do not agree with. Try starting a few threads regarding subjects that you wish to discuss.

We're all capable of posting something that other folk may find 'rubbish' and 'drivvell' (sic), but at least most fowk on here have the decency to restrain from criticising their peers for having the audacity to have an opinion that may differ from their own.

BTW. I believe it's considered bad manners to jump into a thread and berate all and sundry on multiple topics...much better to start a seperate thread on that particular irritation. I'll be more than willing to discuss further when you do.

bekisman
14-Apr-09, 10:08
Catran; 'It makes one shudder to think that the Life Saving services make black humour out of distressing situations' - how do you deal with horrendous situations you are personally involved in? do tell.

catran
14-Apr-09, 21:36
Catran; 'It makes one shudder to think that the Life Saving services make black humour out of distressing situations' - how do you deal with horrendous situations you are personally involved in? do tell.
Well I think it is terrible that people come onto Caithness .Org and actually admit black humour. I am not going to go into detail but in all my many years experience I have not seen one who has made any humour out of someones's distressing and harrowing experiences so why should I go into detail and ones I have been involved in are all under the official secrets act so I am rather perlexed at your suggestion.

northener
14-Apr-09, 21:54
Well I think it is terrible that people come onto Caithness .Org and actually admit black humour. I am not going to go into detail but in all my many years experience I have not seen one who has made any humour out of someones's distressing and harrowing experiences so why should I go into detail and ones I have been involved in are all under the official secrets act so I am rather perlexed at your suggestion.

Your many years experience of what, exactly...or is that a secret as well?

catran
14-Apr-09, 22:09
Your many years experience of what, exactly...or is that a secret as well?
Of course it is. However, with all due respect Northerner I think this Black Humour is not on. I will be asking the Ambulance Boyohs next time I see them. I am sure they are not that two faced,neither the coastguard, doctors and whoever so I just do not believe people can be so vicious wnen they have a casualty on hand. Believe me I have been there when there has been an ongoing incident with the loss of life and I never once heard a word uttered that could be defined as BLACK HUMOUR so sorreee if I have upset you.

joxville
14-Apr-09, 22:45
Catran, may I suggest you've led a sheltered life.

My brother is presently a paramedic and previously a retained fireman and I can assure you he and his colleagues use black humour to deal with situations, but obviously in private. I knew a paramedic in Thurso who also used black humour a lot. Two of my colleagues used to work for a funeral director-they both use black humour. Lastly, I have a friend of 20 years standing who runs his own undertaker business and he tells the sickest, blackest jokes you're ever likely to hear.

I'm sorry if it's hard for you to understand but that's how some people who see tragedy every day deal with it.

TBH
14-Apr-09, 22:57
I think Catran is winding you all in.

scorrie
14-Apr-09, 23:10
Of course it is. However, with all due respect Northerner I think this Black Humour is not on. I will be asking the Ambulance Boyohs next time I see them. I am sure they are not that two faced,neither the coastguard, doctors and whoever so I just do not believe people can be so vicious wnen they have a casualty on hand. Believe me I have been there when there has been an ongoing incident with the loss of life and I never once heard a word uttered that could be defined as BLACK HUMOUR so sorreee if I have upset you.

From Dr Carmen Moran's "An evaluation of Humour in Emergency Work" :-

Given that humour can lead to a reduction of tension and a reinterpretation or reframing of distressing events, it very neatly reflects the aims of many stress management programs, particularly cognitive-behavioural ones (Moran, 1996). Even when not incorporated as therapy, sense of humour appears to mitigate the effects of stress (Berk et al, 1988; Martin & Dobbin, 1988; Lefcourt, Davidson-Katz & Kueneman, 1990). Studies suggest that people with a high sense of humour do not experience less stress, but they are able to generate humour to cope with the stress (Martin & Lefcourt, 1983; Nevo, Keinan & Teshimovsky-Arditi, 1993; Nezu, Nezu & Blissett, 1988). The tendency to use humour to reframe events is captured in the often quoted phrase "things can't be that bad if I can still laugh", but humour may also serve more specific functions such as challenging self-defeating or harmful thoughts. In more extreme circumstances, humour may be used to protect the self by distancing the individual from the stressor (Dixon, 1980). In the emergency context circumstances may be horrible or sad, particularly on the scene, so reframing may not be as relevant as distancing.

A compilation of amusing situations in an emergency department by Nelson (1992) illustrates that humour helps relieve the distress of medical training and emergency department work. Humour is not the only reframing technique used by the workers. Taylor and Frazer (1982) found some workers involved with body recovery from a plane crash imagined that the bodily remains were not of human beings and those doing so showed less distress afterwards. In both humour and non-humorous reframing, the uninformed might see these ways of dealing with extreme circumstances as either callous or baseless. Many workers from the field, however, recognise the functions they serve.

This quote from a Fire Chief appraises the value of Dark Humour:-

"Sometimes dark humor is absolutely essential to survive in dangerous workplaces, both for workers and victims. Think of how firefighters handle their sometimes deadly environment. Deputy Chief John McDougall of the Mississauga, Ontario, Fire and Emergency Services places humor at the top of the list of essential qualities for a successful fire team. Being able to take a good-natured joke is just as important as giving it out, he says. "The humor is sometimes black, but that is the way the grisly and tragic scenes we face almost every day are dealt with.""

You are on Fantasy Island if you cannot accept that Dark Humour is prevalent in Emergency Work. Sigmund Freud stated that Dark Times require Dark Humour many years ago.

TBH
14-Apr-09, 23:19
Dark humour can help people cope with tragedy, who are we to judge otherwise unless we have been in such a position.

bekisman
14-Apr-09, 23:28
Catran: "I am not going to go into detail but in all my many years experience I have not seen one who has made any humour out of someones's distressing and harrowing experiences" + "I just do not believe people can be so vicious wnen they have a casualty on hand."

Hmm, please see my post #12 line 4: 'Yes you are both right, but we keep it 'in house' - kind of respect' Also read Joxville's excellent post #106 'use black humour to deal with situations.'

Catran: "when there has been an ongoing incident with the loss of life and I never once heard a word uttered that could be defined as BLACK HUMOUR". This gives an indication that you may well not understand that black humour is not raised with those outside of those emergency services involved.
Scorrie's; #108; "The humor is sometimes black, but that is the way the grisly and tragic scenes we face almost every day are dealt with."

Incidentally I did special duties N.I. that WAS under the official secrets act - and there were many times during that period black humour raised its head - but NOT in earshot of those involved, which you do not seem to understand..

I think TBH might be right as you can not be serious?

TBH
14-Apr-09, 23:33
Catran: "I am not going to go into detail but in all my many years experience I have not seen one who has made any humour out of someones's distressing and harrowing experiences" + "I just do not believe people can be so vicious wnen they have a casualty on hand."

Hmm, please see my post #12 line 4: 'Yes you are both right, but we keep it 'in house' - kind of respect' Also read Joxville's excellent post #106 'use black humour to deal with situations.'

Catran: "when there has been an ongoing incident with the loss of life and I never once heard a word uttered that could be defined as BLACK HUMOUR". This gives an indication that you may well not understand that black humour is not raised with those outside of those emergency services involved.
Scorrie's; #108; "The humor is sometimes black, but that is the way the grisly and tragic scenes we face almost every day are dealt with."

Incidentally I did special duties N.I. that WAS under the official secrets act - and there were many times during that period black humour raised its head - but NOT in earshot of those involved, which you do not seem to understand..

I think TBH might be right as you can not be serious?
I could be wrong but I doubt that she/he is being serious which makes a mockery of the subject matter. They are probably best humoured at least, mocked at worst.

Gene Hunt
15-Apr-09, 00:42
I think Catran is winding you all in.

Me too.

Anyway this is dark humour at its finest from someone who had very little to laugh about. This happened a few weeks ago and I didnt think I should post it to kind of prove a point but the wife said it is a brilliant example of black humour from someone who didnt have much to laugh about.

A friend of mine passed from terminal Bowel Cancer recently, I knew him while I was in Hospital and we just got on really well, we had the same warped sense of humour. One of our things was to sing silly songs when we were down, normally the theme tunes to childrens TV for some reason. I visited regularly after I was discharged and we became good friends. When he passed he left two envelopes for me numbered 1 and 2, number 1 said among other things that he wanted me have a whiskey for him and to sing our favourite song one last time in the pub. When I was finished I was to open number 2. So a couple of days after he died I bought two whisky's, I drank one, put one on the bar for Norman and then launched into the theme tune from Fraggle Rock. When I finished I opened the second envelope to find it said "How stupid did you just look you gullible pratt. See you later. Your friend xxxxx"

I hope he fell off his cloud laughing. The Git.

butterfly
15-Apr-09, 01:23
Me too.

Anyway this is dark humour at its finest from someone who had very little to laugh about. This happened a few weeks ago and I didnt think I should post it to kind of prove a point but the wife said it is a brilliant example of black humour from someone who didnt have much to laugh about.

A friend of mine passed from terminal Bowel Cancer recently, I knew him while I was in Hospital and we just got on really well, we had the same warped sense of humour. One of our things was to sing silly songs when we were down, normally the theme tunes to childrens TV for some reason. I visited regularly after I was discharged and we became good friends. When he passed he left two envelopes for me numbered 1 and 2, number 1 said among other things that he wanted me have a whiskey for him and to sing our favourite song one last time in the pub. When I was finished I was to open number 2. So a couple of days after he died I bought two whisky's, I drank one, put one on the bar for Norman and then launched into the theme tune from Fraggle Rock. When I finished I opened the second envelope to find it said "How stupid did you just look you gullible pratt. See you later. Your friend xxxxx"

I hope he fell off his cloud laughing. The Git.

Your wife was right.I dont find it at all offensive,quite the reverse!

northener
15-Apr-09, 09:31
From Dr Carmen Moran's "An evaluation of Humour in Emergency Work" :-

.........In both humour and non-humorous reframing, the uninformed might see these ways of dealing with extreme circumstances as either callous or baseless. Many workers from the field, however, recognise the functions they serve.........

Rather sums it up, methinks.

Catran, Black Humour is not standing at the graveside or site of a disaster whilst pointing and laughing at other peoples' misfortune. It is more subtle than that and more remote.
There is world of difference between Black Humour and cruel ridicule. This seems to be the difference that you cannot - or will not - see.

I fear your talking to your chums may not shed much light on the situation either, people who are currently involved in such work can be extremely reticent about discussing such matters with 'outsiders'. It only tends to come to light much later.
Also your a friends may not personally agree with Black Humour....this view certainly will not prove your argument that it doesn't and shouldn't exist.

balto
15-Apr-09, 09:57
i know for me, sometimes to laugh is the best option, i know when we buried my nanny and granda, i laughed both times, but i think it was just my way of coping with it, it certainly wasnt out of not being respectful to them both., everyone deals with things differently.

gleeber
15-Apr-09, 10:00
Rather sums it up, methinks.

Catran, Black Humour is not standing at the graveside or site of a disaster whilst pointing and laughing at other peoples' misfortune. It is more subtle than that and more remote.
There is world of difference between Black Humour and cruel ridicule. This seems to be the difference that you cannot - or will not - see.

I agree and just to make a point. I have no problem with black humour. My feelings were aimed at your insensitive response to the earhtquake victims whilst they were still being pulled out of the ruins. Timings important.
Any of our resident comedians got a bit of black humour about the Hillsborough disaster, especially today?

northener
15-Apr-09, 10:12
I agree and just to make a point. I have no problem with black humour. My feelings were aimed at your insensitive response to the earhtquake victims whilst they were still being pulled out of the ruins. Timings important.
Any of our resident comedians got a bit of black humour about the Hillsborough disaster, especially today?

Funnily enough, I've heard one already from a friend who is noted for his black humour. Couldn't repeat it here as it would definitely offend....and probably get me suspended......

To be honest, Gleeber, my comment was a throwaway remark no different from what can be heard on the main TV channels after 9 o clock.
I'm a big fan of Frankie Boyle (off Mock The Week amongst other stuff), a man who's line of humour is absolutely ruthless.
My remark wouldn't even register alongside some of the stuff he's come up with. But it is not humour for everyone, I'll agree.

gleeber
15-Apr-09, 10:30
Funnily enough, I've heard one already from a friend who is noted for his black humour. Couldn't repeat it here as it would definitely offend....and probably get me suspended......

To be honest, Gleeber, my comment was a throwaway remark no different from what can be heard on the main TV channels after 9 o clock.
I'm a big fan of Frankie Boyle (off Mock The Week amongst other stuff), a man who's line of humour is absolutely ruthless.
My remark wouldn't even register alongside some of the stuff he's come up with. But it is not humour for everyone, I'll agree.
I thank you for your respectful reply.
Can you now understand the unfavourable impression that remark may create on a community website?
As for Jokes about Hillsborough. No one would dare say anything to me today concerning the hillsborough tragedy without at least being challenged for their behaviour. And yes I know, they would see me just as ignorant as I see them. It takes two to tango.
I am not a prude in fact with hindsight i would probably have voted black humour on the org ok. But timing really is important. A sense of responsabilty and a brain in gear also helps :)

northener
15-Apr-09, 10:52
I've never been backwards at coming forward, Gleeber. And I knew that my posting of that remark would cause offence to someone.
But to me it was simply a play on what was being discussed and bore no malice or disrespect to any of the victims. Unfortunately, not everyone shares my humour....but the question still remains that should this humour be shared at all?
It's a difficult one, as most humour is at someone else's expense. A line has to be drawn somewhere, and in my instance I still feel I have not stepped over that line - yet others believe I have...who says what is right or wrong in these issues?

.......... A sense of responsabilty and a brain in gear also helps :)

Alas, two qualities I have never been noted for.....

gleeber
15-Apr-09, 11:22
You are on Fantasy Island if you cannot accept that Dark Humour is prevalent in Emergency Work. Sigmund Freud stated that Dark Times require Dark Humour many years ago.

Scorrie makes an important point with his academic assessment of the orgs ability to cope with tragedy.
Very often on the org there's a tendancy for people to post throwawy remarks on otherwise serious subjects. Most of us do it and like Percy says he doesnt take orgworld seriously. Mind you considering some of his responses to challenge I dont believe a word of it.
Its a pity Scorrie never posted a link to Freuds thoughts on black humour but I can guess at what he was getting at. There's usually a depth to those throwaway remarks that mean much more than just a laugh with mates on the org. Gene Hunt uses humour as a kind of medication to loosen the trauma that most cancer sufferers will feel but dare not to allow it to blossom. That's great, but what is actually happening there?
Freuds idea was that throwaway remarks, and I assume black humour too, are actually emotions that people repress and hide in their unconscious, but because we can never destroy anything in this universe, even thoughts, they will manifest themselves in a different way when they eventually return to the surface of our consciousness.
The idea would be to look beyond the throwaway remark and discover the true source of the insensitive or anonymous comment. :eek:

gleeber
15-Apr-09, 11:32
But to me it was simply a play on what was being discussed and bore no malice or disrespect to any of the victims. Unfortunately, not everyone shares my humour....but the question still remains that should this humour be shared at all?
It's a difficult one, as most humour is at someone else's expense. A line has to be drawn somewhere, and in my instance I still feel I have not stepped over that line - yet others believe I have...who says what is right or wrong in these issues?
Black humour like all humour needs to be handled properly. Timing is very important in comedy and I would suggest more so with balck humour especially in public.

justine
15-Apr-09, 11:47
its a free country, people are allowed to speak their own, comedians included. Black humour has always been around. I dont fimnd it offensive, but then neither do i know anyone sad enough to tell "black Humour about disasters

northener
15-Apr-09, 12:10
............Its a pity Scorrie never posted a link to Freuds thoughts on black humour but I can guess at what he was getting at. There's usually a depth to those throwaway remarks that mean much more than just a laugh with mates on the org. Gene Hunt uses humour as a kind of medication to loosen the trauma that most cancer sufferers will feel but dare not to allow it to blossom. That's great, but what is actually happening there?
Freuds idea was that throwaway remarks, and I assume black humour too, are actually emotions that people repress and hide in their unconscious, but because we can never destroy anything in this universe, even thoughts, they will manifest themselves in a different way when they eventually return to the surface of our consciousness.
The idea would be to look beyond the throwaway remark and discover the true source of the insensitive or anonymous comment. :eek:

Very thought provoking. Now I'll thank you kindly get out of my head, Gleeber.;)
I think most of us would accept that black humour is a 'relief valve' for many. Freud maybe onto something there.

Permit me a personal observation and an opinion that is founded on no proof whatsoever:

My background is ex-military (as a few already know on here) and I have spent time at scenes of large disasters such as Hurricane Allen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Atlantic_hurricane_season as part of a first response team through to being involved in the Falklands conflict.

So Black Humour is, to me, par for the course.
But I aren't in the Military now, and haven't been for a good number of years. Yet my response towards disasters and incidents, although sympathetic, is always tempered with a certain 'remoteness'. So why do I, even today, still react by automatically putting up the 'shields' straight away? Am I more conditioned by my own experiences than I realise? Am I still using 'the relief valve' as a way of relieving the tension?

I can think of many occasions - be they bereavemant, major trauma or violent incidents where those around me are obviously upset and affected deeply by their experience...yet it has just washed over me. Why? I get more upset by cruelty towards animals than people...so I aint just an unfeeling git.

I also find large-scale mourning extremely distasteful.
There seems to be a rather repulsive eagerness amongst the Great Unwashed these days to pounce on anyone's tragedy and explode it into a huge, lurid and tasteless display of ersatz grief. Show me a problem anywhere in the World and I'll show you a group of people on the other side of the World 'sharing in their grief'. usually with mass candle-burning and group blubbering. Sickening.

Because someone chooses not to indulge in Formation Grieving, does it mean that they don't care? Not necessarily. If someone chucks in a rather cutting remark in times of trouble, does that make them unfeeling? I doubt it.

My personal opinion is that there is more mock grief in society than we care to admit to. I feel that much of this so-called grief is nothing more than the mindless being titillated by indulging themselves in some poor sods misfortune via the media. And we are as guilty of that crime on the .Org as anywhere else.
It allows those who's idea of 'trauma' is missing the bus or being called an idiot access to a world that they can never know and give them the excuse to wallow in, and soak up, someone elses' misery on a previously unseen scale. As soon as anything happens, the weeping and vigils by those with no connection whatsoever begins.

A tastless and degrading spectacle if ever there was one. And that, to me, is more abhorrent in times of trouble than any black humour.

changilass
15-Apr-09, 12:13
Venture, from the tone of your original post I assumed non of your relatives were hurt or I would not have made the comment.

An hour away from disaster is a long way thank goodness, but too many folks get upset based on what might have been instead of focussing on the positives.

With regeards other members, then I am glad you think you know why they left.

They were not slated for commenting on what I said, rather than for having a go at others but not being able to take it themselves.

If folks can't take the critisism then they shouldn't dish it out. You can't tell folk to 'get stuffed' by pm and then cry bully.

gleeber
15-Apr-09, 12:21
A tastless and degrading spectacle if ever there was one. And that, to me, is more abhorrent in times of trouble than any black humour.
Aye, theres plenty theatre around. My own personal stage has been formed, like everybody elses by my experiences as a child. Maybe not everybody will agree with that but I agree and there's plenty research and theory out there to bacl it up. Its whats behind everything whether its self seeking but honourable members of parliament performing on their stage, film stars or just plain orgers our responses to most situations are predetermined by the mists of time.
The important thing is to try and get over the differences and use the similarities as a weapon against conflict. No easy task but who knows?

Alice in Blunderland
15-Apr-09, 17:41
In the case of the org if you cant take it then dont dish it. :)

This is a site where many people of differing backgrounds, walks of life, etc, etc, come together to post. At one point or another we will all read something which causes offence or upset. The best suggestion I can give is to not return to the thread in question. If you do, post away but be prepared for others to also stand there ground as they see fit.

I am married to a muslim who comes from Pakistan is over here taking one of our jobs earns a good salary so should pay higher taxes etc, etc. I have been a single mum on benefits and had a child out of wedlock I could go on :lol:. How many times have we seen a thread attacking people from these walks of life...........loads. I read them post if I wish to contribute or move on if I find it too much. Never once have I ever given bad rep as its all their individual oppinions which we are all entitled to. We are all different and this ability to debate and discuss softly or heatedly makes for a good forum.

I have only ever taken it to heart if someone has attacked me personally or if anything on here has threatened to spill into my personal/worklife.

How many of us local to Caithness have bought a Groat or Courier and checked out the Hatches, Matches and Despatches section ? nearly all of us local reading this I would say, myself included. To most of us its a flip comment, to someone whos nearest and dearest has just died whether old or young and their name is in that section its a tragedy and a pain which no-one reading that persons name will feel but them.

As has been posted to some it means nothing ,to others a lot more .... its timing. :)

I do think there is a place for black humour and agree that working in tragic circumstances involving life and death black humour does come in as a relief valve for those working with it.

scorrie
15-Apr-09, 20:49
Maybe the fact that the earthquake happened hundreds of miles away made people think it didn't matter. It did to me.

It is impossible for someone to legislate for every tiny chance that there may be a local connection with events hundreds or thousands of miles away. If we were to stop and think about every country in the world and their possible links with Caithness, then nothing would ever get said.

I totally understand your concern for relatives in proximity to a tragedy. It must be a relief to know they were lucky enough to be living away from the affected area, but I don't see how a wee joke affects the reality of the situation. Surely the important thing is that your relatives are safe?

Sadly we can do nothing for the departed. I think that if we were to spend our lives focussing on all the sadness in the World we would find it difficult to lead a life with much optimism. As individuals we tend to wrap ourselves up in our own little hobbies and distractions, often very trivial ones in the great scheme of things. It is the reason that we find footage of famine, cruelty etc difficult to watch. Turning the telly over is one option, for others dark humour can help distance them from the sad reality.

I would ask people to consider how much of what they do in a day is targeted at making the World a better place and how much is spent wrapped up in things such as Britain's got Talent, Eastenders, Jade Goody's book etc etc

We all need an escape from reality at times. Laughter is supposed to be the best medicine. Long may the laughter continue.

As Sigmund Freud said:-

"Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock"

butterfly
15-Apr-09, 22:46
What's the point of bad repping someone because you don't like their point of view? Is it not better to accept that not everybody has the same opinion and just ignore it and move on?!

Bobinovich
15-Apr-09, 22:57
Some absolute pearls of wisdom in the last few posts which truly show the wonderful depth and bredth of the Org.

Like Northener I have been accused of being remote from the sadness of many events going on in the world, but as an upbeat sort of guy it's really only when my own personal life, or those near and dear to me, is pulled into the equation that I find my emotions being torn sufficiently to show through.

My main dealing with black humour was some years ago as my mother was dying of cancer and was making preparations for her departure. She requested my sister fetch a pair of pyjamas in which she wanted to be cremated, and I went upstairs with her to help her look for them.

On locating them my sister found herself unable to contain the tears which had been held back for the sake of our mum and, while consoling her, I noticed a tag on the PJ's stating 'Keep away from fire'!

My sister looked miffed as I involuntarily snorted and grinned, but joined me once I showed her the label. On recounting to our mother the reasons for our sheepish grins, she guffawed with delight and thanked me for lightening what was a very sombre mood.

catran
15-Apr-09, 23:07
Some absolute pearls of wisdom in the last few posts which truly show the wonderful depth and bredth of the Org.

Like Northener I have been accused of being remote from the sadness of many events going on in the world, but as an upbeat sort of guy it's really only when my own personal life, or those near and dear to me, is pulled into the equation that I find my emotions being torn sufficiently to show through.

My main dealing with black humour was some years ago as my mother was dying of cancer and was making preparations for her departure. She requested my sister fetch a pair of pyjamas in which she wanted to be cremated, and I went upstairs with her to help her look for them.

On locating them my sister found herself unable to contain the tears which had been held back for the sake of our mum and, while consoling her, I noticed a tag on the PJ's stating 'Keep away from fire'!

My sister looked miffed as I involuntarily snorted and grinned, but joined me once I showed her the label. On recounting to our mother the reasons for our sheepish grins, she guffawed with delight and thanked me for lightening what was a very sombre mood.
Yip but that is not black humour just normal family happenings to lighten a sad occassion. fine but not black humour to my simple mind.

Alice in Blunderland
15-Apr-09, 23:13
Yip but that is not black humour just normal family happenings to lighten a sad occassion. fine but not black humour to my simple mind.

This is what I mean by different people see things in a different way. :)

Normal family happenings ?? .........................black humour .......... the end result was the same a laugh helping to cope with a terrible situation.

Bob I have to admit I did laugh at that one Oh the irony eh. :lol:

catran
15-Apr-09, 23:14
Aye, theres plenty theatre around. My own personal stage has been formed, like everybody elses by my experiences as a child. Maybe not everybody will agree with that but I agree and there's plenty research and theory out there to bacl it up. Its whats behind everything whether its self seeking but honourable members of parliament performing on their stage, film stars or just plain orgers our responses to most situations are predetermined by the mists of time.
The important thing is to try and get over the differences and use the similarities as a weapon against conflict. No easy task but who knows?
well said gleeber

Alice in Blunderland
15-Apr-09, 23:15

Indeed. :D

butterfly
15-Apr-09, 23:22

Might not be black humour for you but could for somone else.

Bobinovich
15-Apr-09, 23:51

Well I'd like to hear your 'simple mind's definition of black / dark humour then, as the various online dictionaries I've interrogated generally seem to sum it up simply as "jokes or funny stories that deal with the unpleasant parts of human life", a 'category' which, IMO, my wee tale appears to fall into :confused.

Rheghead
15-Apr-09, 23:56
When we were kids, I was watching a film with my sister and my Dad asked us what we were watching. We both turned round and said it was a black comedy. He replied 'Is Lenny Henry in it?'. He was definitely of a bygone era...:lol: