PDA

View Full Version : DAYS GONE BY - Shops in Caithness

trinkie
11-Apr-09, 09:27
DAYS GONE BY - Shops in Caithness

Shops in Caithness were never big but a comfortable size comprising a counter, lots of well stocked shelves and an array or goods dotted around the place, mostly in baskets on the floor. A collection of well chosen items would be on the counter, leaving just enough space for you to conduct your business.
Behind the counter stood the Shopkeeper and one or two others there to help. Everything had to be asked for, and the assistant would find what you’d requested and prepare it right there for all to see. I loved to watch the butter being prepared. It came in a big slab and sat opposite the counter on a big wooden board. It was served in lbs of course, and you could ask for one lb or half lb and towards the end of the week when money was getting scarce even a quarter lb. The assistant would take a guess at the amount to cut off and then weigh it on the scales sitting nearby. All of this was sheer magic to a little child. Then according to accuracy, came the wrapping up. This was done with such style and grace. The paper was blue greaseproof and it was wrapped around the butter snugly, corners folded in neatly and then the little package was presented to the customer with a smile and ‘Anything else?’ So it went on until your order had been completed. All the time the assistant was jotting down the price on a bit of scrap paper and at the end it was tallied up and the money exchanged. Ding Ding went the till !
That done, the assistant then filled your shopping back, taking great care with what went in first – heavy things at the bottom, light things at the top.

There was little or no packaging as we now know it, only the occasional brown paper bag, and even that was taken care of at home, and returned the following week to be used yet again. My grannie would even iron a paper bag to make it more presentable for the following week.
The flour came in little linen bags, and these would be washed, hemmed and embroidered with little flowers to make hankies for the children !

My favourite shop was Jack Bremner’s in Huddart Street and E.Campbell’s in Dempster Street. John Cormack’s Fish and Chip shop was something special and Fred Shearer’s
Clothes shop was for high days only or at Sale time.
Not only did you get your goods, but all the local gossip too, as there standing in the queue, would be friends and neighbours waiting to hear and tell the lastest.

For headaches, cut knees and anything medical then there was only Walter Sutherland the Chemist. What a saint of a man ! Of course there was no such thing as NHS, and doctor’s had to be paid for. So everyone headed for Walter’s where he bandaged and prescribed and diagnosed right there in his little shop, seldom asking for a penny. He would often give a child a glass of Ribena after he had done the business, and say ‘ Come back in a few days till I see if it’s alright’

I often wonder if there was such a Chemist on the Wick side ? Though I do know of one or two who came all the way over to Pultney for Walter’s treatment.

There are other shops I liked to visit in Wick, but I leave that for another time.

anneoctober
11-Apr-09, 14:55
John Cormack's fish n chips............ where was that? the only ither chippie I mind apart from Houstons wiz Peachy's. Then I AM from e ither side o e county !! :lol: Your description wiz excellent , Woolies where to me the counters were HUGE and I got my first golliwog.!:D

poppett
11-Apr-09, 15:41
Peachy`s chips................yummy. Used to come home a night midweek from Inverness for a Peachy`s supper and a night at the Rosebank during the tourist season cabaret, then drive home for work the next morning!

Favourite shop for me was Mansons the grocers in Thurso, just as Trinkie described.

Stack Rock
11-Apr-09, 15:43
John Cormack's fish n chips............ where was that? the only ither chippie I mind apart from Houstons wiz Peachy's. Then I AM from e ither side o e county !! :lol: Your description wiz excellent , Woolies where to me the counters were HUGE and I got my first golliwog.!:D

John Cormacks fish & chips were awesome - coal fired pans and when you went in for a supper he would stoke up with another couple of lumps. The shop was in the ground floor of a large building at the corner of Bexley Terr and Vansittart St that we called the castle.
Nearby at the bottom of Kinairdie was another chippie run by Pearl & Sandy Munro. Yet another was at the bottom of Breadalbane (now the flower shop) Both opened years later.

plumber
11-Apr-09, 18:08
John Cormacks fish & chips were awesome - coal fired pans and when you went in for a supper he would stoke up with another couple of lumps. The shop was in the ground floor of a large building at the corner of Bexley Terr and Vansittart St that we called the castle.
Nearby at the bottom of Kinairdie was another chippie run by Pearl & Sandy Munro. Yet another was at the bottom of Breadalbane (now the flower shop) Both opened years later.

I remember the chipper at the bottom o Breadalbane terrace belonged to Dougie Green, it was a great place for us young ones meeting up, you could sit in and have your chips and listen the juke box, lots of good memories.

Tighsonas4
11-Apr-09, 18:37
I remember the chipper at the bottom o Breadalbane terrace belonged to Dougie Green, it was a great place for us young ones meeting up, you could sit in and have your chips and listen the juke box, lots of good memories.
did the late fordie grant not have the chipper in breadalbane and also ran a taxi business from his home across the road???? tony

Tighsonas4
11-Apr-09, 18:51
does anyone mind nicolsons[taties] in the high street,he had a bake house at the backand a dose of bakers served their time there
he had three horse vans and was about the first to get a motor one
what was fasinicating in the shop itself was the cashier sat way up in a corner and there was wires leading from the counters it self. all sales were put in a cup thing and was conveyed up to her on these wires
never seen it before or since tony

pat
11-Apr-09, 23:13
Mind shopping with granny in Nicolsons - getting sugar weighed, butter, cheese and ham sliced with same knife, then carefully wrapped in greaseproof. Loose tea straight from the tea chest, flour from the sacks. The dried salted fish hanging above your head as you were being served.
There was always so much in Nicolsons, used to stand there just looking around, candles, paraffin, sticks, dry goods, vegetables, boot polish, tackets for the boots, kippers, bread, I used to think everything was bought there.
Cannot remember the money flying across on wire - can think I remember something similar in Fred Shearers but not certain about it, sure there will still be ex Freds employees around who will correct me.
Can remember the bakery (Ithink), Sheila used to have a hairdressing place up the lane at the back, Adam had his shoe repair in the lane too, steps up the back we were told not to use but of course ignored!
Next door was Dan Dunnets, then the butchers, clothes shop, then Bowles shop - at least the pavement is much wider now - remember how narrow it used to be at the bottom of the lane.

balto
11-Apr-09, 23:18
another shop i mind in wick think it was in grant street/argle square, it was called patty cooks what is it these days.

rangers1873
12-Apr-09, 00:56
i remember going to jack bremners and getting the smells of the cooked meat inthe shop that would be sliced and i used to love to look at the model planes he had on his roof

trinkie
12-Apr-09, 09:11
Anne October - Maybe you are too young to remember the delights of John Cormack and his Chip Shop, alas you had to make do with Peachy’s which to an honest Backsider did not reach the standard required of the more discerning . John Cormack’s shop was a good walk away, as Stack Rock has described, and it was heavily guarded by the Backside Bairns. A Password was needed to enter the vicinity. Once inside – and it was not easy - you had to answer several poignant questions. Then if you were trusted and accepted you were blindfolded and led to our magical oasis. You would know at once that you had arrived, for the distinctive aroma of ‘Frying tonight’ filled your nostrils, your mouth would begin to water and a craving way beyond your control would take over your being.
But I wander in the mists of time.

Plumber - You mention the Chippie in Breadalbane Terrace. You’re right of course, though, for reasons already mentioned, I had no need to go there.

Tighsonas4 – Yes indeed, I remember the money carousel. What was it called? Several shops in Wick had such a system. I remember it being a tube where the money went in, and a criss-crossing of wires near the ceiling, which led to a little ‘office’ where the cashier sat all ready to give the change and return the tube to the appropriate counter. There was another system, maybe in Fred’s, where it seemed run on suction! Can this be right?

Pat – What a list you gave, nothing was left out! I’d forgotten about the paraffin and the kindling sticks, and yet that was a most important item on any shopping list. In Jack Bremners, you could smell the paraffin as soon as you entered the door, and as Rangers reminds us, it was mingled with the delicious smell of sliced meat ! ( How often did they wash their hands I wonder?) The meat was lined up behind the counter and Ham was usually on a special dish with a stand. The same knife was used for all the meats, but the ham appeared to prove difficult to carve because of it’s shape I suppose.
The result was you got a couple of nice thin slices and one or two thick dollops.
Biscuits came in big tins, usually lined up in front of the counter. You could purchase as many as you wished, by the lb. My favourite was Fig Roll, or Garibaldi, or Vienna triangles, but ussualy it was plain old custard creams. After the War came the return of the Ayton Sandwich, which was a double chocolate filled with choc cream, and they were big. Years later they introduced a smaller version for the weaker hearted.
Brasso, was often on my mother’s list, and boy, did she rub and rub our letter box till it shone !

Rangers – You reminded us of the smells. It hit you as soon as you opened the door. As we’ve mentioned, the meats, paraffin, and fish, but there was also the soap which was never wrapped and many other smelly things.

I’m sure most of the shops at the time had plain wooden floors with a covering of sawdust. There was always a fair amount of brass around the place, gleaming. The windows looked good with an array of Grocery Goodies to tempt each and every housewife. Heaven help any shopkeeper who sold anything which did not come up to standard – and remember there were no fridges at that time. Bread had to be utterly fresh, and everyone knew when the Bread Man came with his delivery.
Vegetables came according to the season and most were grown locally. Tomatoes came from the south and that was a big day when they were ‘ in ‘ Scotch tomatoes were really delicious, and were only eaten during the summer months when they were available.

kmahon2001
12-Apr-09, 13:41

Not only did you get your goods, but all the local gossip too, as there standing in the queue, would be friends and neighbours waiting to hear and tell the lastest.

How many people nowadays would have the time or patience to wait to be served. I think it's sad that we don't have these types of shops any more. Everyone now travels to supermarkets in their cars, where they push shopping trolleys around, picking up whichever items they need and then go through the checkout one at a time, before driving home again and closing the door to the world. There is no personal service in these supermarkets. No shopkeeper getting to know his/her customers by name. And because people come from far and wide to shop at the supermarkets, it's a lot less common for friends and neighbours to come across each other during their weekly shop like they would in a local town or village shop. Modern shopping methods are all very impersonal and anonymous and I personally think this is one of the main reasons why the sense of community seems to have almost disappeared from modern life.

If the smaller shops were to open up again in the centre of towns and villages, shops like grocers, butchers, greengrocers, bakers etc, and people were encouraged to use these rather than travel to supermarkets, (aside from saving on the pollution from the car journeys) the heart of towns and villages could be revived with people walking from one shop to another to buy their provisions, bumping into friends and neighbours on the way and stopping to chat. Everyone would become more familiar with those who lived beyond their own row of houses. They would get to know who was who and whose kids are whose. They would get to know the general pattern of the comings and goings round the town or village and so would be better able to spot anything out of place - strangers up to no good or whatever.

Personally, I would love to run a greengrocers shop, particularly concentrating on selling local produce from farms and smallholdings around here, but somehow I doubt that there would be enough custom with so many supermarkets in Thurso and Wick.

trinkie
12-Apr-09, 15:15
Yes of course most busy folk would not have the time to stand in a queue waiting to be served, but in Days gone By, few women went out to work, and the shopping became part of their social scene. It was there they met friends and neighbours, both in the shop and en route, and all the latest news was exchanged.
Now, if anyone stops to chat in the aisle of a supermarket, other customers get upset and huff and puff because they are in such a hurry and wish to get on with their shopping…Quite right too of course. The whole scene has changed.

Once the Market Place was a place for meeting, now it’s a mad dash to get your groceries and on to the next thing.
I think it’s a pity too, that food, clothes, shoes and all the rest are in the same shop. No longer is a trip to a shoe shop a treat. Mothers seem to grab a dress for a child as they pass by the rail, in my day I loved a trip to a dress shop for such an item. But I can understand it’s a great help to a busy young mother.

The Library is not a shop as such, but it I’m going to put it under the same heading just now. And how mine has changed ! When borrowing or returning books, I have to check them into a computer myself and get a ticket from a machine. No longer is this done at the counter with a charming person to serve you. I can be sure whenever I go to the Library I seldom have reason to speak to anyone, no Thank You or even a smile now.
It’s become the saddest part of my week. I know the Librarians don’t like this system either, they too enjoyed a little chat about a particular book with the customer .
In Days Gone By, going to the Library was never a jolly occasion, especially when you were returning a book late, and you got a black mark and a good telling off. Over the years it became much more relaxed and folk did stop to recommend a book or ask about another, and children were welcomed regardless of noise !

Trinkie

Tighsonas4
12-Apr-09, 19:54
now that i can see there must be many coming up in years lol
does anyone remember crowes[think it was sinclair brothers] opposite side of high st just past the entrance to back bridge street
there was either two or three steps to go up which ran the whole length of the shop
my first job was in jean reids butchers. 8shillings a week and shop closed at nine at night on saturday night as did most shops
changed days tony

trinkie
13-Apr-09, 08:04
Tighsonas4 I don’t remember Crowes in Back Bridge Street, most of our grocery shopping was done nearer home. However I do remember a Hairdresser down a Lane near Back Bridge Street. When we were at that side of town, it was usually for shoes or clothes. Dan Dunnett of course for shoes, and I remember old Mr Dunnett with his glasses perched on top of his head doing his utmost to help. He could have been wearing a big dark apron – not too sure. Bill Mowat on Bridge Street for my first ‘costume’ once I was a teenager ! Looking back at some photos, I notice how old we used to dress at that time, like little wifies ! Charlie Begg’s in the High Street sold fabric and household linen. I would buy a remnant from him and quickly ‘run it up’ for the dance on Saturday night.

On the corner of Bridge Street and High Street was Cabrelli’s Coffee Shop which became a favourite meeting place. Old Mrs Cabrelli was often serving and looked so elegant with her white hair piled up on top. She was a tiny lady and could scarcely reach up to get a big jar of sweeties down from the shelf. How sedately they were weighed and put into a paper bag then handed over the counter with a smile. This was where many folk met for coffee and a chat especially at weekends. The youngsters would sit upstairs and drink their coffee or milkshakes and make a noise. I loved to watch the coffee being made, mine always had milk which was heated in a hissing, steaming machine that made a dreadful noise. It was on the go all the time, screaming and spitting as a froth appeared on the top.
I often had a Jacob Orange Cream biscuit, but sometimes if I could afford a tomato sandwich that would be made at the end of the counter. The tomatoes would be sliced so thinly and oozing out over of the edges, but with little or nothing in the middle !
The grown ups sat downstairs and on Saturday nights a lot of country folk came in for a warm drink before setting off home again on the bus. They would be laden with shopping bags from all the nearby shops.

During the summer when Charlie Hercher was in town, the Coffee shop was full and sometimes you had to wait for a table ! You could hear snatches of conversation about the Side Shows and the fun folk were having. A few would be clutching a soft toy or gift they had won at the Fair. Secretly some of the men would add something from a bottle to their warm drink – no I don’t mean Ronaldson’s Pasteurised milk ! Then there would be much laughing and guffawing and slapping of backs ‘Losh man, ye didna say that – I never heard the lek !’ and off they would go again ! There’s no doubt the walls of old Cabrelli’s could tell many a tale.

majic
13-Apr-09, 08:46
to step back in time visit lybster stores or latheronwheel po

horseman
13-Apr-09, 09:02
trinkie- good post-j.cormacks-houstans-peacheys (he was good for rude jokes) as teenagers!
Aye fordie grants right enough.
Mind nicolsans -next to the bank-your money was put in a cup an wired across to the cashier an change came back to you!!! unbelievable
Shoe shop next door-dan dunnets?mind getting 'tacketty boots' as a youngster there.
Barbara Bains in back st.???(I think)the absolutely most distively smelly shop in Wick-georgous.
Cabrellie's coffie shop-Charlie Herchers!!Super:D

Tighsonas4
13-Apr-09, 10:47
trinkie im not making a very good job of explaining thinks but will have another go
crowes shop was in high st running from shearer and millers to near the entrance to back bridge street
the building is still there but it is council run and likely owned the steps i mentioned are no longer there now but the shop was the size of the buildings as it stands nowmaybe im getting dottled thou [lol] tony

rambo1978
13-Apr-09, 10:57
I'm quite young and don't remember any of the above shops but the Canisbay PO is certainly a step back in time, nice little place.

jim shoe
13-Apr-09, 11:02
riddells toy shop in coach rd

Iffy
13-Apr-09, 22:13
Aw, Trinkie, ye've brought back memories
Tho' wur no o' the same age
A' mind some o' them shoppies
That you spoke o' on 'is page

A' mind Cabrelli's cafe
On e' corner o' e 'street
A few o' us would gether e're
For coffee or some sweets

A' mind behind e' coonter
That there wis lots o' pipes
And all the baccy for them
So many different types

Then there wis e' sweetie shop
So, when waiting for e' bus
Ee'd hev time to spend some pennies
Just afore e' rush

Then there wis Fred Shearers
Wi yon great beeg teddie bear
An all e' stuff he hed in there
Wis lek Aladdin's lair

There wis scarves til' mek e' bonny
And lots o' woolly sockies
They were all set oot so pretty
In those little wooden boxies

Oh, an div ee' mind e' Ensign shoppie
Across e' street fae Woolies
Alongside D.R Simpsons
Where Dad would buy his toolies

Aw, Trinkie, 'at wis yesterday
And now hids no e' same
But some o' us still linger
Doon memories lang, lang lane.......;);)

trinkie
14-Apr-09, 06:59
It's good to know where to find some nice old-fashioned shops.
Tighsonas4 - I know where you mean now.....Getting dottled?
Dont worry - come on in Dottling is fun !

Jiffy - brilliant ! well done, You painted a vivid picture and I did enjoyed my stroll along the shops as you described.

Here's one I prepared earlier !

The shoppies have all gone from Poltney
The shoppies we all loved tae see
The shoppies have all gone from Poltney
Oh bring back the shoppies tae me.

Bring back, Hughie and Chack,
Oh bring back the shoppies tae me, tae me
Bring back the smiles that we lack,
Oh bring back the shoppies tae me.

Ye’d run doon till buy a loff
Some milk or a quarter o’ tea
Wi pride Chack wad wrap it sae bonnie
Ower the counter he’d hand it till ye.

Bring back…..

The co-op selt fine Aryeshire Bacon
The rashers as thin as can be
Then fried in ai pan till it’s crispy
Fit a feast ye wad hev for yur tea !

Bring back …

Willdag wad bake Butter Biscuids
As hard as a log fae a tree
But the ice-cream he made in his Mixer
Wis fit for a King – an me !

Bring back…..

Ould Walter wad treat all your ailments
Fae a sore heed till a cut on yur knee
He’d bandage ye up very bonnie
An never wad ask for his fee.

Bring back…..

For sweeties we all went till Emma’s
She coonted them oot, one, two, three
Then made up a bonnie blue baggie
For all wur freends till see.

Bring back……..

Nooadays we all go till Tesco
Hoping that no one will see
Jist fit we hev put in wur basket
All ai posh stuff we hev for wur tea !

Gammon steak and breaded hake
Tortilla an cous cous an Brie
Pasta bake for Heaven’s sake
Ye can stuff all yin olives for me !!

Mosser
14-Apr-09, 20:48
trinkie im not making a very good job of explaining thinks but will have another go
crowes shop was in high st running from shearer and millers to near the entrance to back bridge street
the building is still there but it is council run and likely owned the steps i mentioned are no longer there now but the shop was the size of the buildings as it stands nowmaybe im getting dottled thou [lol] tony

Aye, Gilbert Crowe in Stafford Place and in times before, a baking oven down below, all the steps and iron railings are long gone, my bit yer an ould mannie Tighson

Mosser

Tighsonas4
15-Apr-09, 10:40
Aye, Gilbert Crowe in Stafford Place and in times before, a baking oven down below, all the steps and iron railings are long gone, my bit yer an ould mannie Tighson

Mosser
no chicken right enough mosser. knew there was something in line there but it was only when someone mentioned donnie makays ensign shop that it came back [lol]
the newsagent that was there then was walter craigs
the wifies used to put there order in to crowes during the day and he would be delivering out in staxigoe after nine oclock at night

Mosser
16-Apr-09, 18:58
Chip Shops on 'e Weekside,

Mrs Bain's at the Camps, I remember tuppenny bags, Houston's of course, Cardosi's up the lane to Nethercliffe and the incomparable Mrs Lyall in Henrietta Street, all the bairns would bring in a school photo and she had them all displayed on the wall. I wonder what happened to that display. her husband used a manual crank handle chipper beside the fryer.

butterfly
16-Apr-09, 19:55
Can anyone remember Joey's shoppie at the top of Shore Lane,Wick? Used to get my sweeties there every morning on my way to school.She had an old black labrador who sat outside the shop and got fussed over by us kids.

Tighsonas4
16-Apr-09, 19:57
yes mosser cant think of any more but was there not a dykie that you went in round to get to mrs bains
seem to mind a paper shop in there too was it jimmy rosses ??? tony

trinkie
16-Apr-09, 20:04
I remember the chip cutting machine and the bucket full of batter where the fish were dipped into, slurp slurp, then slid along the rim of the bucket to remove any extra batter.

Mosser
17-Apr-09, 16:12
yes mosser cant think of any more but was there not a dykie that you went in round to get to mrs bains
seem to mind a paper shop in there too was it jimmy rosses ??? tony

yes a dyke which ran from the front of Cabrelli's down to Mrs Bains and the wee path behind it went through a tunnel to acess the houses behind. I think that the family of the late Danny Cormack were the last residents. I think that Jimmy Ross was after Mrs Bain. Johnny Gunn also had a Sunday Paper shop in Parliament Square behind the County Cafe, we're going back now! I used to have to go for the Sunday papers in the afternoon when they arrived by Knox's lorry, Post, Mail, Dispatch and People.

hotrod4
17-Apr-09, 16:21
I remember the shop that was beside the camps where the steps go down to the back of the social work office, but for the life of me I cant remember the name.It was a bit of a toy shop and furniture as well i think.
USed to also buy my toys from Dan Mackays where the council buildings are, never forget the step that was so worn it was more of a "down" than a step!![lol]

Mosser
17-Apr-09, 16:33
Can anyone remember Joey's shoppie at the top of Shore Lane,Wick? Used to get my sweeties there every morning on my way to school.She had an old black labrador who sat outside the shop and got fussed over by us kids.

Quite right Butterfly, the shop was originally built by Jimmy Lieper as the Garden Sweet shop, a great little shop

Mosser
17-Apr-09, 16:36
I remember the shop that was beside the camps where the steps go down to the back of the social work office, but for the life of me I cant remember the name.It was a bit of a toy shop and furniture as well i think.
USed to also buy my toys from Dan Mackays where the council buildings are, never forget the step that was so worn it was more of a "down" than a step!![lol]

Daniel Sutherland, furnisher and toys universally known as Danie Dip, I think he started as an Auction House

Tighsonas4
17-Apr-09, 18:05
Daniel Sutherland, furnisher and toys universally known as Danie Dip, I think he started as an Auction House
if your not a historian mosser cant see that your any chicken yourself
memory fails me at times
danies was on the go for a long time,
the old man of sutherlands would be amazed that the business would be still here today in a big way skirls as it was known then tony

pat
17-Apr-09, 21:42
Can remember being taken to see Santa at Danie Dips, the wonder of such a huge Christmas tree being inside with all the baubles, sparkly bits etc and the alladins cave of toys - it was a wondrous place to visit as a child.

Fly
17-Apr-09, 23:24
if your not a historian mosser cant see that your any chicken yourself
memory fails me at times
danies was on the go for a long time,
the old man of sutherlands would be amazed that the business would be still here today in a big way skirls as it was known then tony

I thought "Skirls" was Sutherland Brothers, the grocer shop further up High Street and on the opposite side to the furniture shop, but maybe I'm wrong!

Tighsonas4
18-Apr-09, 10:44
I thought "Skirls" was Sutherland Brothers, the grocer shop further up High Street and on the opposite side to the furniture shop, but maybe I'm wrong!
no fly your quite right.i meant to correect it at the time but forgot
he was another one who had horse vans running to the country and now there deliverying as far as rosshire
they moved to gowrie place and i think there now at the drome tony

Mosser
18-Apr-09, 16:53
The other town centre grocers way back when were, Jimmy Coghill, Nicholsons, Matheson Bros better known as Bill Hendersons, Liptons in Bridge Street and Wilfred Weirs better known as Don Budges, busy shops and they all had message boys who delivered huge baskets of groceries all over the town no matter what the weather. One time a message boy cut the corner at the harbour, hit a mooring rope and boy, bike and messages went for a swim. The wages weren't great the tips not bad and there was a waiting list for an after school job, nowadays it would be a prime target for the Health and Safety Brigade.

Tighsonas4
18-Apr-09, 17:17
mosser heres one for the weekend as you seem to be most qualified
start at loui accres and caberillis and come up the street on the right hand side as far as drs not forgetting to take in john street where willie shearer had his joinery and undertakers business ????
ps was message boy to jean reids butcher greenlees shoes and then drs 8bob the first one 10 the next one and twelve and six in drs
but never fell in the harbour although drs did supply the boats with oil [lol]
tony

Tighsonas4
18-Apr-09, 17:25
some who were shop assistants and then went out on there own
jimmy coghill, hamish webster , and bill davidson in argyll square .there may be more alex mowat who took over drs was shop assistant there in my time. annie budge from bexley terrace ,and a miss begg in charge
george simpson was the boss then tony

Mosser
18-Apr-09, 17:59
mosser heres one for the weekend as you seem to be most qualified
start at loui accres and caberillis and come up the street on the right hand side as far as drs not forgetting to take in john street where willie shearer had his joinery and undertakers business ????
ps was message boy to jean reids butcher greenlees shoes and then drs 8bob the first one 10 the next one and twelve and six in drs
but never fell in the harbour although drs did supply the boats with oil [lol]
tony

Cabrellis, Sloans, Congregational Kirk, Harold Reid's, Donald Sutherlands, Banks Wool Shop, Billy Malcolms, John Street with said Willie Shearer, and back entry to Mcghan's laundry, Jimmy Miller's, Gillespies, Geordie Steven's, a council office before Arthur Bruce, Jimmy Coghills, DRs, Woolies, BEA,(after Fred Shearers mens shop) mind ye I'm a younger loon than you if you worked in Greenlees (easiphit shoes) that was before Week went weet again!

Tighsonas4
18-Apr-09, 18:58
yuur not a younger loon than me mosser but must be a lot brighter too [lol]
canna fault that as it seems to be spot on
week must have been still dry then right enough as easiphits iss the crown now
think the first pub to open was don sutherlands with the camps
open officially anyway,but cant take that any further on here
johnnie gunn in the nethercliff and mrs sutherland rosebank used to have what called a table licence regards tony

trinkie
19-Apr-09, 10:00
Heavens ! You two are old ! I dont remember any of what you mentioned. Smiley here....

Here are a few prices from ROBERTSONS, Bridge Street Wick. C. 1923

Ladies Costume 25/6d …..
All wool Costume 35/-
Tweed Skirt 2/11 - 6/11d

Velour Coats with fur collar 42/-
Voile jumper 2/11d

Corset 2/6d all sizes
Cashmere stockings 2/6d 1/11d 1/-
Combinations 4/11
Stockinette Knickers , grey, navy, mole 2/3d

Trinkie

Tighsonas4
19-Apr-09, 11:01
would be what was affeciitonately known as robertson 20 man trinkie
or am i off at a tangent again tony

Mosser
19-Apr-09, 17:00
yuur not a younger loon than me mosser but must be a lot brighter too [lol]
canna fault that as it seems to be spot on
week must have been still dry then right enough as easiphits iss the crown now
think the first pub to open was don sutherlands with the camps
open officially anyway,but cant take that any further on here
johnnie gunn in the nethercliff and mrs sutherland rosebank used to have what called a table licence regards tony

Aye Don Sutherland opened in 1947, as you say the first "official" pub! I got to thinking about drapery and clothes shops in the town centre of the same era, here we go, Sloans, WJ Banks, Jimmy Miller's, Fred Shearer, McKenzie & Shearer, Charlie Begg, David Robertson, Hepworth,Robertson (20 man) then Bill Mowat, Ramsay Turner, Claude Alexander, George Nicol, and if you wanted to make your own, the Singer Sewing machine shop in Market Square, whew what a list!

stewart4364
19-Apr-09, 17:46
Does anyone remember Harry Bowles ( I think) whose shop was opposite Where Houstons chipshop is now. He made the most delicious meringues. If I remember correctly that would be about 50 or more years ago. I also remember when people would hand in their message line to my dad, who was a general merchant, in the morning on their way to work and pick them up on their way home. There was nothing extra the person bought not like your supermarkets nowadays where I can pretty well guarantee that the majority, if not all folk ,buy far more than their original intended purchases because of impulse buying. Why do you think that everyday items such as bread, sugar etc. is as far from the entrance as they can possibly be and quite often changed around so that you have to look a bit harder to find them? Yes you have probably guessed why -- as you wander round looking for your intended purchases you have to pass numerous other shelves and more often and not you say to yourself I better get some of this and that when I am here anyway making your shopping more expensive than originally planned. If you made out a shopping list before visiting the shop and sticking rigidly to that list you would be suprised to find that your shopping bill is an awful lot less than if you wander round picking this and that. Possibly as an exercise say over a month or so make out a shopping list and stick rigidly to it and see what you have saved by the end of the exercise. I think you would be pleasantly suprised and may even adopt the proposal on a permanent basis.-- you could then go on that luxury holiday you always promised yourself but just could not save enough for it. Why not give it a try and report back with your results whether they be good or bad. All the best and happy shopping list writing.

Mosser
19-Apr-09, 17:53
Harry Bowles, Jeely pies to die for, his shop was at the foot of Mowat Lane more or less where Hugo Ross' tackle shop is now. The days when you handed in your linie and had all you needed delivered to your door at no extra charge were halcyon days indeed. what about Jessie Clyne's cream horns? or a good greaser from Lambert's, wow!!

trinkie
19-Apr-09, 18:24
T'sonas4 - Yes you are right - I had forgotten that.
Stewart - great idea, trouble is I never remember where I put the list.
Mosser - Great stuff there. Did you include Geordie Doull the Butcher ?

Here are some others, but where are the Thurso Shops??

John Munro,Williamson Street, Wick
For Perfect Tailoring at moderate prices.

MacKenzie & Shearer, High Street, Wick.
First class quality – keen prices.

William Begg ( Beelie )
Bridge Street, Wick.
Drapers and Fancy goods.

William Clyne, Bank Row, Wick
Meat Purveyor.
Home fed beef, mutton and pork.

trinkie
19-Apr-09, 18:31
Miss Manson, Dempster Street, Wick
Millinery Saloon.
Agent for Manson’s Dyeing and Cleaning Works, Arbroath.

That must have been before Pullar’s of Perth, agent Bill Mowat,
I think.

pat
19-Apr-09, 21:04
When did Chrismay Leitch open her ladies clothes shop in the Market Square - next to Johnstons photograpghy - was that where Singers used to be?

All I can remember was the corset advertisements!!!

Tighsonas4
19-Apr-09, 21:35
while studing all your clothes shops what came to mind was rex
was that an off shoot of sloans or what??? they were down in bank row just a bit further along from beel smiths,cant mind was there vans involved when the bomb fell
the labour exchange at that time was on the corner of the lorne buildings
trinkie should mind more about macarthur street but seem to mind it little shoppies door to door nearly tony

Mosser
20-Apr-09, 16:17
T'sonas4 - Yes you are right - I had forgotten that.
Stewart - great idea, trouble is I never remember where I put the list.
Mosser - Great stuff there. Did you include Geordie Doull the Butcher ?

Here are some others, but where are the Thurso Shops??

John Munro,Williamson Street, Wick
For Perfect Tailoring at moderate prices.

MacKenzie & Shearer, High Street, Wick.
First class quality – keen prices.

William Begg ( Beelie )
Bridge Street, Wick.
Drapers and Fancy goods.

William Clyne, Bank Row, Wick
Meat Purveyor.
Home fed beef, mutton and pork.

No Trinkie I didn't include Doulls, just the draper shops on the Wick side. the Butchers then were Doulls, Waters run by Dan Thompson, the Co-op where Cameo is now and Geordie Harper in Back Bridge St. Previous to that he had a shop on the corner of Coghill Square in Louisburgh St.

Pat I'm not sure of the date for Chrismay's, it must have been the mid 60s.

T'sonas4 I don't know about Rex, could have been Sloans and of course they had the building after the Labour Exchange for their furniture.

trinkie
20-Apr-09, 18:44
Tighsonas4, From what I remember of MacArthur Street – looking down from Grant Street on the right
was the famous Walter Sutherland the Chemist.
Opposite there was Sinclair the Butcher and up a bit a large Co-op Drapery shop, you had to go up a couple of steps I think.
Down from Walter’s on the corner was the Pultney Post Office. Over the road from that was the
Co-op Grocers, quite a biggish shop.

At the top of Grant Street – fondly kent as Ducksie – there was Cameron Taylor’s Bicycle Shop and over the road a little draper shop run by a Miss Davidson I think. At the top of the road on the same side was Mr Bain the Cobbler.

Pat, I'm unable to answer your question - but I'll ask someone.
Mosser - Thank you, you're doing very well !

Still no Thurso Shops , how strange.

jock leith
21-Apr-09, 10:14
I worked in Donny Angus's at the harbour back in the sixties. there were lots of butcher shops in Wick I remember some of the one's in Pultney.

George Mortimers -at the top of the Brae Head
Berttie Cragie -McRae St ??
Hughinas -Where Sinclairs are now

Been away to long as street names are now vague but there was also a shop in Brown Place ???that made the best Potted Heid.sold only on Tues & Thurs always had to order it.
Lots of others but cant remember locations but can picture them vividly
can anyone remember any more
JL

Tighsonas4
21-Apr-09, 10:43
yes jock there was a butcher at the top of brown place on the corner ,not sure but think it was sinclair and mackays tony

jock leith
21-Apr-09, 10:57
yes jock there was a butcher at the top of brown place on the corner ,not sure but think it was sinclair and mackays tony
Yes Tony I remember the name now,there were a few butchers with Sinclair's as owners.One I remember was just up from the Library towards the Assembly Rooms
JL

Tighsonas4
21-Apr-09, 11:13
not sure was that shop at the top of brown place or moray street
george sinclair was oppisite the library regards tony

pat
21-Apr-09, 14:08
There was a butcher shop at the top of Moray St on the corner of Beaufoy Street (just around the corner from Browns Place - (a house now) it was eventually run Mackay and Sinclair or Sinclair and Mackay, Johnny Polson used to work there, before he started his own place in Dempster St.
George Sinclair was on Sinclair Terrace, opposite from the Health board offices - used to get the orange juice and dried milk for the bairns. Used to love that orange juice.

Lavenderblue2
21-Apr-09, 14:34
I see you mentioned Wilfred Weir's Mosser, my mum worked in that shop for a while during the war with Gus Simpson and I think, Kathleen Budge; what tales mum had about the fun they would have. Eventually Gus Simpson opened his own bakers shop in Thurso.

Does anybody remember Jimmy Nicol who used to run a fruit and veg business from his horse and cart?

Was it the National orange juice Pat? I used to love that too!

Mosser
21-Apr-09, 15:42
I see you mentioned Wilfred Weir's Mosser, my mum worked in that shop for a while during the war with Gus Simpson and I think, Kathleen Budge; what tales mum had about the fun they would have. Eventually Gus Simpson opened his own bakers shop in Thurso.

Does anybody remember Jimmy Nicol who used to run a fruit and veg business from his horse and cart?

Wilferd Weir's had hatches in the pavement in front of the shop so that goods could be delivered straight into the basement, how no one ever fell down the hatch I don't know. I also remember that there were petrol pumps in front of R S Waters and D R Simpson's both hand cranked.

Trinkie, wasn't the draper chop "Ronaldson's?" ther was another menswear shop in Breadalbane Terrace -- Dod Williamson and a boot shop across the road "Dunnett's" can ye mind Charlie Ball's chip shop, that was the first shop I ever saw with pigs trotters!!

Tighsonas4
21-Apr-09, 19:15

can rember gussie simpson but never knew where he went
mosser do you remember wordies horse carts making the deliverys???
one grabbed the oh by the arm and ripped the coat
nowdays they wood be shouting compensation [lol] tony

Tighsonas4
21-Apr-09, 19:18
mosser on a different note if i was to add den to your title could you tell me where it was ????? tony

trinkie
22-Apr-09, 07:44
Mosser, I'm sure the little shop in Grant Street ( over from Cameron Taylor's ) was Donaldson - or Davidson, maybe Mary Ann Davidson - Och Ye hev me richt confused ivvynow!
The Church you mentioned up from Sloans - was it on the corner of Shore Lane with the side entrance was in Shore Lane? I remember the organ had to be pumped by hand ! Is it still used for Worship?

I loved that Orange Juice too - National issue ! It was really concentrated. We would add it to a bottle of water for our picnics at the Trinkie.

T'sonas4 I dont remember the horse and cart you mentioned, but I do recall hanging on to the back of such a vehicle and getting a 'lift' up the road ! Do not try this at home !!

jimbews
22-Apr-09, 09:28
The Church you mentioned up from Sloans - was it on the corner of Shore Lane with the side entrance was in Shore Lane? I remember the organ had to be pumped by hand ! Is it still used for Worship?

T'sonas4 I dont remember the horse and cart you mentioned, but I do recall hanging on to the back of such a vehicle and getting a 'lift' up the road ! Do not try this at home !!

The church was the Congregational Church. I'm sure that had closed as a church even before I left Wick in 1965.
Many church organs had to be hand (or rather foot) pumped in the old days. I remember how great it was playing the (electrcally powered) organ in the Central Church after the pipe organ was fitted. Not that the music was always appropriate, but don't tell my Dad :)

That's the organ that is now in Pulteneytown Church. Is Ian Cameron still playing that? He certainly played at the dedication service after it was moved from the Central. I followed Ian as pianist for the BB Bible Class.
And of course, speaking of shops, was it not Ian's parents who had the shop on the way to the North School?

The cart I rmember well was Alecky Mathieson's. He used to pick up a load of manure from Mr Corner's farm on Newton Hill and dump it outside our garden. The joys of barrowing the steaming muck round the garden :(
"A good healthy country smell". Just as it would be about done he'd appear with another load. Thank goodness I don't have a big garden now!

JimBews

Tighsonas4
22-Apr-09, 10:21
trinkie wordies lorrys[horse drawn] i think were used mostly as the goods delivery from the goods dept at the railway station
dont remember them being used for anything else tony

Mosser
22-Apr-09, 17:22
Can't think of "Wordies" lorries but do remember Ackers horse drawn cab, and of course Andy Durrand's bakery van also horse drawn
T'sonas the den ran from across the road from Laurelia cottage to the foot of Scalesburn, I think that it was the original Skells burn. back in those days there were two shops in Willowbank, Maggie Durrand's and near the foot Mrs Taylor's, "Tattie" Steven's across from the end of Willowbank and Nag Mowat's at the top of Shore lane. Mrs Reid had a shop over from the top of Tolbooth Lane and John Cameron on the corner of Louisburgh St and Coach Road with Jock More's bakery along at the west end. After Geordie Harper moved to Back Bridge Street his shop was taken by Dan Campbell Jeweller. Whew!!

Tighsonas4
22-Apr-09, 19:59
mosser im inclined to think that wordies lorrys [big clydesdales] could have been tied up with the goods station when so much stuff used to come in by goods train. the depot would have been away down below where the haven is now, only mind them delivering to the hole in the pavement at don budges that you mentioned
can mind the den when it was a park with coos in it ,as a willowbanker has pmd me they used it as a shortcut to the north baths
i think 44 was the number of the shoppie in laurel bank
as for nag mowats do you mind the row of little houses that ran in there
just a lane really ??? tony

Mosser
22-Apr-09, 20:22
mosser im inclined to think that wordies lorrys [big clydesdales] could have been tied up with the goods station when so much stuff used to come in by goods train. the depot would have been away down below where the haven is now, only mind them delivering to the hole in the pavement at don budges that you mentioned
can mind the den when it was a park with coos in it ,as a willowbanker has pmd me they used it as a shortcut to the north baths

You're spot on with the number in Laurel Bank. Yes I remember the wee lane by Nag's, I can almost smell her wee shop with its polished leather topped counter and the big tin adverts for McVitie's biscuits. I certainly remember the Goods Office at the Railway but the horses elude me.Mention of the National orange juice reminded me that every now and then at the end of the war the school would issue a bottle of orange juice and a bottle of cod liver oil Yuk!

jock leith
23-Apr-09, 11:04

Got e-mail from brother Harry he jolted my memory about a few more shops from days gone bye.
Andy Murray had butchers shop in Henrietta St now Chippie
Arthur Bruce had paper shop roughly where Boots are now
Bill Henderson had shop where George Sinclair had butcher's (now shut)
John Leith saddlers shop was beside Mowatts
Jimmy Bains barber Shop
Stevens barber shop beside Donald Scurrels(Sutherland Brothers)
Elma Bannermans barber shop bottom of shore Rd
Emmas Shop top Northcote St where Childrens home is
Kinnairdy Cafe Sandy and Pearl Munro had that
Benny Stevens bottom Owen Place/Glamis Rd then Mr Amid took it over now flats,Co-op next door now Kingdom Hall
Kay Mackenzies in Barrowgil St,sold salt herrings etc
Marjory Brookes orMore's beside Wildags Bingo in Ducksie
Hells Kitchen down by the Camps ????
Shorelands in Lower Pultney also Larnach's and Hendersons the Printers
Colvins the Bakers in Ducksie
BEA Office next to Woolies
Adam the Cobbler in Woolies Lane
Hamish Webster's at the top which became the Pet Shop
Joey and Sandys Garden Sweet Shop just down from David Lewis's in Shore Lane
Regards JL

honey
23-Apr-09, 11:09
not so much a shop, but i remember going to a cafe that was next door to the shop that is now Brass' in thurso when i was a wee lassie.

crayola
23-Apr-09, 11:19
Thanks for bringing Thurso shops into the thread honey. I was beginning to think none of us could remember any old Thurso shops.

Amongst my favourites were Downie's the clothes shop and the ironmongers whose name I have forgotten but it was run by the Houstons. They were both old-fashioned shops with a surprise in every corner. The County Stores was a bit like that but I was scared of it! :lol:

trinkie
23-Apr-09, 11:40
Thurso shops I remember were Fred Shearers and the wonderful Hetty Munro's, whose little antique shop was sheer delight.
The Queen Mother always visited Miss Munro for a chat when she was north, and then pop into Fred's .

I think there was a tea shop next to the Post Office.
Cardosi's Ice cream parlour on the corner near Fred Shearer's. A Newspaper shop near the Royal Hotel.

Any more ?

crayola
23-Apr-09, 11:55
I deliberately didn't mention Fred Shearer's because I hated that shop! I used to dread being dragged in there by my mother because their clothes were all so old-fashioned and it wasn't cool to be seen in there. Or so my young teenage brain told me. :lol:

poppett
23-Apr-09, 12:57
Sutherland`s bakery had the tea shop beside the PO, our Saturday lunchtime haunt for a sausage roll. Cakes came on a cake stand and you told the ladies what you had and paid accordingly. Their "bunty sponges" were particularly delicious.

I have already mentioned Manson the Grocers at the beginning of this thread.

Brass` had the chip shop and cafe beside their existing sweetie shop.

Sweetie shop at the end of the Pentland Hotel on Princes Street. Remember their pick and mix was quality street and roses and me trying to get all fruit creams in the bag.

Danny Craig in the arcade for ice cream, Simpson the bakers and Souter the newsagent all up there also.

Shearer the butcher at corner of St John square and the grocers of the same name further up.

JA Mackay the grocer beside the ships Wheel antique shop. Still a brilliant grocers shop to this day.

sjr014
23-Apr-09, 13:22
I remember going in 2 Temple Tins? Think that was what it was called where Boots is now, and Sutherland Bros maybe where cutting edge barbers is now when i was little we my nana.

john w
23-Apr-09, 19:44
Emma's was at the corner of Kinnairdie and Huddart Street, shop at top of Northcote Street was Stella's (I think Bain??)

trinkie
24-Apr-09, 06:59
John W - I remember both shops well.
Emma's for my sweeties as I loved to watch her wrap them up in blue paper, making a cone shape, then folding over the top and pointed bottom. I think you had go down one step as you entered the shop.
Stella's for Sherbitdab, in that long yellow tube ... yum yum.

Trinkie

Tighsonas4
24-Apr-09, 10:32
has there been any old cafes missed. the dolphin was in bridge streetthere two that that bugs me
anyone mind a cafe down the salvation army lane i think it was a family dowlers that had it.think they emigrated to aus
seem to mind a cafe opposite johnnie gunns in bank row it had outside steps. or am i havering//// tony

jimbews
24-Apr-09, 12:36

What about the corner of Thurso Street and Newton Road:
Charlie Macallan?

Then there was the shop round the corner from the High School.
Seaforth Avenue?
The days when you could get a single fag!

Someone mentioned Colvins, the bakers.
Mr & Mrs Colvin and Mrs Doull?

Fish shop at the top of the black stairs: Millers?
Name "Janet" also rings a bell.

Someone mentioned Kathleen Budge.
Would that be Kenneth Budge's mother?
Kenneth is second from left:
http://chemistry.st-andrews.ac.uk/staff/jrb/wick/06/images/13.jpg

JimBews

Lavenderblue2
24-Apr-09, 14:15
It was me who mentioned Kathleen Budge Jim - I'm not sure what family she had but the boys in the photo seem to be enjoying themselves!! Which one are you and what are you eating?

Back to Kathleen, I'm sure I saw her in Wick this morning when I was driving along Bridge Street.

jimbews
24-Apr-09, 16:03
It was me who mentioned Kathleen Budge Jim - I'm not sure what family she had but the boys in the photo seem to be enjoying themselves!! Which one are you and what are you eating?

Jelly.

L to R:
David Milne, Kenneth Budge, J. Bews, Alan Mackenzie, Ian Donn

There's a few other photos at:

http://chemistry.st-andrews.ac.uk/staff/jrb/wick/

JimBews

trinkie
25-Apr-09, 07:50
Great photos Jimbews - Jelly was a big treat at the time .

I remember when the shop near the High school opened - was it owned by Willdag Miller ?
I also remember The Dolphin Restaurant in the High Street. It was run by two sisters I think.
The Fish shop at the top of the Blackstairs was a favourite with all the housewives. I can still see Janet proudly wrapping up a bit of haddie in some nice greaseproof paper.

Trinkie

Mosser
25-Apr-09, 16:20
has there been any old cafes missed. the dolphin was in bridge streetthere two that that bugs me
anyone mind a cafe down the salvation army lane i think it was a family dowlers that had it.think they emigrated to aus
seem to mind a cafe opposite johnnie gunns in bank row it had outside steps. or am i havering//// tony

Yes T'sonas4 Dowlers was just down past the Salvation Army hall and you're not havering, the cafe in Bank Row was the Victoria and it did have outside steps. Other cafe's in the main drag were the John O Groats Cafe (Bert Cardosi) Central Cafe (Cabrellis) who also ran the cafe at the Camps and do you remember the Washington Soda Fountain in High St where McDonald's Bakers is now? Cabrellis had it first then Cardosis who changed it to The Coffee Shop. What about Charlie Perricinis in Saltoun St a good chipper. Going back a bit though.

Tighsonas4
25-Apr-09, 17:29
thats cleared it up then mosser ,the victoria ran in my mind but couldnt remember which one it was. the chipper itsef i cant mind but know there was perecinnes on the go there was a chipper up the lane at berties shop in high st think it was sheppards had it for a time
moving on to dancing and entairment [lol] do you remember the mutual club below the shore it was up stairs and the floor went up and down with the dancers
sadly these days are gone forever tony

Venture
25-Apr-09, 17:54
thats cleared it up then mosser ,the victoria ran in my mind but couldnt remember which one it was. the chipper itsef i cant mind but know there was perecinnes on the go there was a chipper up the lane at berties shop in high st think it was sheppards had it for a time
moving on to dancing and entairment [lol] do you remember the mutual club below the shore it was up stairs and the floor went up and down with the dancers

They might be gone forever Tigh but between yourself Mosser, Trinkie and Jim Bews the org is able to share all your memories. There certainly were many shops in Wick long ago, it must have been a very busy place. Delighted you remember Nag Mowat, she was my great-grandmother.;)

Tighsonas4
25-Apr-09, 19:47
no venture im getting a bit dottled but mosser and trinkie keep me right
it looks like mosser the wick side
and trinkie the backside
not sure but i could be living in nag mowats house. just canna be sure of her family tree regards tony

trinkie
26-Apr-09, 07:35
Heaven forbid that I keep anyone right ! My memory is not as good as yours Tighsonas4 - do you know how many times I have to check the spelling of your name for example !
Yes, I am proud to be a Backsider, and it seems we didn't have the same number of shops that you were lucky to have on the Wick side.
How nice that Venture's gt. grannie's shop has been listed here - Any anecdotes to tell him ? He would have missed the delights of being one of her customers .

Have I mentioned Mr Bullochs shop in Argyle Square? And there was another one I wanted to add to the list - but I've forgotten already.

Trinkie

Tighsonas4
26-Apr-09, 11:04
trinkie just make it tigh as quite a lot of others do
was there not a shoppie in macarthur street ive heard them speak of something like sanny skety .that may have an endearment tho tony

Mosser
26-Apr-09, 17:33

The Mutual Club, I remember being at a wedding there and the floor sure had a lot of bounce. It was used as a school room during the war.

Venture, no anecdotes of Nag but she was what we'd call a "lovely wifie" always smiling and gentle.

Tigh, the late Willie Lyall in his poem Ai wee backside Shoppies says
Sanny Sketty for pandrops an' carmels
luckybags lollipops an' gum
Jessie Clyne for cakes scones an' fancies
no sooner baked than all done.

Jessie Wilson selt sticks o' black sugar
for a penny 'e bairnies wid buy
then shake id in a bottle o' water
an drink id at 'e back o' 'e sket hive

George McKain hed a twisty white mouser
wi a knife he'd an uncanny nack
He'd slice up yer ham wi' a surgeons skill
an' his wife made floor scones at 'e back.

At's some more shoppies for ye.

trinkie
26-Apr-09, 18:27
Ye beat me to it Mosser - nice one !

Here’s a verse of ‘Kinnairdie’ from Isabel Salmon

There was Chon Leith’s shoppy
Cross ae rod
An’ Emma’s at ae corner
Wi’ Kathy’s on ae ither side
We stood in happy wonder.
………………………………….

And from ‘’Ae Mountain Dew’’

Ae Mountain Dew is noisy
When filled wi’ a trauchled few
Boot far else wid ye get ae news
An be sure id’s really true.

Ae half o’ Week wid be soarted yet
An’ a lok o fowks wid burn
If they’d only stan’ back an’ lissen
An’ let every chiel get his turn.

For they’ve seen all ae ‘happenings’
An’ their philosophy’s something grand
If ye’d only stand back and lissen
An’ try till understand.
……………………………………………….

And a verse or two from The Post Office
By Castlegreen

An fit aboot e parcels now?
See’s at beeg box in ‘e coarner,
Canny, man, dinna cloor ‘e thing!
Now, Wullie, look at ‘at! Ye’ve toarn ‘ur!

For Mrs Fracher – bliss ma sowl!
A spleet new hat fae Budge ‘e Draper!
Och, had yur towngue, Ah’ll pit ‘ur back!
They’ll noor ken she’s been oot ‘e paiper.

Aye, Bella Fracher, up-till-date!
Ye’re far ower owld for sich a hat!
‘At’s ‘e new style they call ‘’Hallo’’
Ye’ll gluff ‘e very beyce wi’ at !

An’ reid – wi’ yur owld yallow feice!
Aye, Bella, A ken all yur tricks,
For here’s e invice – half a croon –
Ye’ll tell hiz hid was twel an’ six !
………………………………….

Well I remember Willie Wilson , the County Architect- reciting this poem in full – so get yur book oot, hid’s weel worth another read !

Trinkie

trinkie
26-Apr-09, 18:48
The Housewives’ Complaint

“Come in and buy.” The butchers cry,
“What dae ye want the day?
A bit o’ skin, a lump o’ fat,
Ye’ll get the best we hae.”

There’s twa smert chiels at the counter back,
Ye winna catch them sittan,
But ask ye for a pun o’ steak,
An’ they will giv’ ye mutton.

Their sutellites in at the back
Are busy makin’ mixtures,
Wi’ skin an’ fat, an’ odds an’ ends,
Their sausages are fixtures.

This fortnich back a cheenge cam’ on,
It wisna fur or feather,
It puzzles me – what can it be?
It’s for a’ warl like leather.

Ye can bile or stew, til ye are blue,
Ye gaze at it wi’ grief,
An we think o’ the days when we could hae
A juicy bit o’ beef.

A Housewife

trinkie
26-Apr-09, 19:50
L. Iaccheri’s Washington Soda Fountain, High Street Wick.

Hot Lemon, Hot Orange 4d glass
Hot Bovril ……….......……. 4d cup
Hot chocolate …....……… 6d cup

Horlick’s Malted Milk...… 4d cup

Coffee, fresh ground …... 4d cup.

Mosser
27-Apr-09, 15:52
L. Iaccheri’s Washington Soda Fountain, High Street Wick.

Hot Lemon, Hot Orange 4d glass
Hot Bovril ……….......……. 4d cup
Hot chocolate …....……… 6d cup

Horlick’s Malted Milk...… 4d cup

Coffee, fresh ground …... 4d cup.

Here's a wee description of Luigi Iaccherri from an old article

Luigi Iaccherri’s! What memories that evokes. Who that ever saw him can ever forget that gigantic wineskin of a man with the soft slow Haban smile and the even softer heart? I wonder what has become of his beautiful daughter Elsie, who went off to Yorkshire to teach the Tykes how to speak the King’s English!

Then there was Luigi’s Capitano Guiseppe Motroni who came like the Iacekerri’s from Lucca Guiseppe was a strange, shy, good looking chap, a Socialist long before the Tories took it up, and an erudite lover of Shakespeare, Scott and the queerest of all to me at that time, Sherlock Holmes.

I had almost forgotten about the hot drinks, they used to do one called Hot Rum it had nothing alchoholic about it but was a lovely flavour. Peter and Henry Cardosi also served them in the Harbour Cafe, I think that they charged 6d a glass.

trinkie
27-Apr-09, 19:22
Here’s a good story someone has just emailed me about Walter Budge who had a Harris Tweed shop in Thurso many years ago.

Into Walter’s shop one day, came a man from the West. ‘I’m sorry I haven’t been back sooner to pay my debt’ he said. ‘Debt?’ said Walter ‘I have no record of such a debt – you don’t owe me a penny.’
‘Oh yes but I do’’ said the man from the West ‘ I owe you thirty shillings, and I must settle up with you today.’
‘Very well then’’ said Walter and put the money in the till. The man from the West smiled and was glad that all was now taken care of.
‘Now’ said Walter ‘Can I do anything for you while you are in town?’
‘Very well’ said the man from the West. ‘There are one or two things I must purchase before heading for home again.’ And he selected some items which came to about £8. 10/- 'but I have no cash with me you will have to trust me till I see you again.'
‘That’s fine, I know you are an honest man’’ said Walter. But do you know, Walter never saw that man again though he told the story many times, smiling at himself !

Tighsonas4
27-Apr-09, 19:34
canna handle that big words at all mosser lol but take it it refers to who who we knew loui acckery
ps while im on that laane at the back of nag mowats was whitehouse lane.ca remember a family miller living in one little hoosie i ran around with one of the sons[ronnie] worked in skiirls tony

mary
28-Apr-09, 09:16
[quote=jock leith;536951]I worked in Donny Angus's at the harbour back in the sixties. there were lots of butcher shops in Wick I remember some of the one's in Pultney.

Hughinas -Where Sinclairs are now

Hughina was my Mum's cousin I remember going to Wick for my annual holiday (we moved to Edinburgh) and helping in the shop weighing the tatties etc. Great times there. Is the Butcher shop still there? haven't been back in Wick for a number off years now. Aye I have happy memories of Wick.;)
I remember the famous Walter the Chemist fell and cut my knee when I was a wee lassie and off to Walters wie my Mum to get it bandaged up still got the scar to this day.

Mary
born in Wick.

trinkie
28-Apr-09, 11:30
Hello Mary, Nice to hear from you.
If you search for Macarthur street here on the Caithness.org..... you will find a little box on the lefthand side of the front page.... You will get a few pics of Macarthur Street.
Hughina's shop is still there, but being used for different purposes now.

In reply to another question, I think this was also Sanny Sketty's shop at one time.

Could I ask which shop keeper in Bridge Street was an accomplished Sculptor, and where can his work be seen now.

Regards
Trinkie

mary
28-Apr-09, 11:59
Hello Trinkie, Thanks for the link to the pics of Macarthur Street brings back memories.
My Maternal Grandmother was a Sinclair.
Does the shop still belong to the Sinclair's?
Regards
Mary.

Mosser
28-Apr-09, 17:21
Hello Mary, Nice to hear from you.
If you search for Macarthur street here on the Caithness.org..... you will find a little box on the lefthand side of the front page.... You will get a few pics of Macarthur Street.
Hughina's shop is still there, but being used for different purposes now.

In reply to another question, I think this was also Sanny Sketty's shop at one time.

Could I ask which shop keeper in Bridge Street was an accomplished Sculptor, and where can his work be seen now.

Regards
Trinkie

Hi Trinkie,
the sculptor would be Mr MacKenzie Miller who traded as MMs, a clothing and drapery store, don't know if any of his work is still around, I remember seeing a bust he created of himself complete with paddy hat and the cigarette hanging from his mouth.

Mosser
28-Apr-09, 17:28
canna handle that big words at all mosser lol but take it it refers to who who we knew loui acckery
ps while im on that laane at the back of nag mowats was whitehouse lane.ca remember a family miller living in one little hoosie i ran around with one of the sons[ronnie] worked in skiirls tony

That was the man, commonly called Loui Acckery, the article had the correct spelling, but Weekers always suit themselves.

I remember a family in the wee white house, I had a feeling that someone there played goalie for the Groats but my memory must be failing. That was at the time when the whole front area along the braes was all allotments or as we called them, plots.

Tighsonas4
28-Apr-09, 19:43
That was the man, commonly called Loui Acckery, the article had the correct spelling, but Weekers always suit themselves.

I remember a family in the wee white house, I had a feeling that someone there played goalie for the Groats but my memory must be failing. That was at the time when the whole front area along the braes was all allotments or as we called them, plots.
yes mosser that ronnie i mentioned had a brother they called emuc i thiink he emigrated to aus i think
worked one of that plots myself took it over from sinc miller tony

silverfox57
28-Apr-09, 20:02
as a you boy in early 60s would buy fish hooks to go fishing at harbour,think the shop was called the ships chandler and was owned by A Sutherland he supplied boats might be wrong , think shop was where chip shop is now,

trinkie
29-Apr-09, 07:26
Two more shops ..

Funny how an old photograph can jog the memory. I was updating my album and came across an old picture of my mother wearing a most beautiful red coat. The photo was black and white of course, but I know the coat was red, as she told her story many times.
She had spotted the coat in Mrs Black’s shop window – that’s what the jogging brought to mind – Mrs Black’s shop was on the Cliff Road down past the Library and next to Fred Shearer’s Gents shop ( the manager was Mr Gall at one time, I think) Mrs Black’s window was always a joy to the eye, with the very latest fashions from London. Well mum decided she must have the coat and asked if it could be set aside until she had saved enough money. I don’t know how long it took her to save – Mrs Black was not cheap! But the day came and mum purchased the coat in good time to meet her then boyfriend who was returning from a trip south.
Her Sunday Best shoes, gloves and handbag completed the picture and she felt richt smart as she set off to meet her young man. He proposed that night, and later asked her to have tea with his family the following Sunday. She said she would have to ask her mother, as they usually had tea with an aunt on Sundays .
All was well, her mother agreed and she arranged to meet her boyfriend that night to tell him she could make the Sunday afternoon tea date. He was delighted of course, and added ‘ Mind and wear that bonnie blue coat’ ‘BLUE!!’ said my mother…. You can imagine the rest!
Little changes.

Silver Fox. I remember the Ships' Chandler, it had the most wonderful smell and sold spices, china, rope and everything needed for the running of a ship!

Mosser
29-Apr-09, 20:22
Great story Trinkie, Mrs Black then had a shop in Ebeneezer Place called The Hat Shop the sign was written in a sort of script and we always thought that it said The Flat Shop. The owner before that was Barbara Calder.

Yes it was Sutherland's Ship Chandlers and at the other end of the Harbour breast was Andrew Buchan's Chandlery on the corner of Rose Street, he had a model of an old time fishing boat, (was it the "Guide Me?") in the window and it moved up and down as if at sea.

Tighsonas4
29-Apr-09, 21:35
the ship chandlers did quite good business at that period as things were at a peak then
was duncan and jamesons and bloomfields along the breast at that time
stevens wasnt there at that time, there was a second hand furniture shop along the front at one time
canna mind what ran to the corner of martha terrace???? tony

Mosser
30-Apr-09, 17:03
the ship chandlers did quite good business at that period as things were at a peak then
was duncan and jamesons and bloomfields along the breast at that time
stevens wasnt there at that time, there was a second hand furniture shop along the front at one time
canna mind what ran to the corner of martha terrace???? tony

Also The North Of Scotland Steam Navigation Coy office, the St Ola Could be booked here for the local holiday trips to Kirkwall. The 2nd hand furniture shop was Manson's, much later.

Something else popped into my memory, before the Davidson sisters moved to Bridge Street with the Dolphin Restaurant therE was a previous cafe above Begg's shoe shop, it was called the Chic Cafe, we didn't know anything about things chic in Week so we called it the Chick Caffy

Tighsonas4
30-Apr-09, 20:07
can mind the old ola coming in here if the weather was bad. there was acaptian swanson on her for years and they used to say he would only miss maybe three days in a winter[no cars in those days ]
have taken the old st clair from here to aberdeen if you walked aft the coos were penned there, happy days tony

Fly
02-May-09, 23:17
What about Milne and Macadie, two jewellers or watchmakers in Union Street and Black the draper

Tighsonas4
03-May-09, 12:30
yes fyl both these watchmakers were there were both jewellers but dont know were they both watchmakers
there was also dave cormacks in bridge street, tony

trinkie
28-Oct-09, 19:06
Mosser, you've just mentioned a couple of Wick shops in the Streets Thread, and I had to look back at this.
Maybe some more old shops could be added !

Trinkie

Mosser
28-Oct-09, 20:48
Mosser, you've just mentioned a couple of Wick shops in the Streets Thread, and I had to look back at this.
Maybe some more old shops could be added !

Trinkie

Just been thinking about that Trinkie and between Charlie Beggs and Dunnett's was Waters Butcher run by the late Dan Thompson of earlier football fame and latterly coach of the old Louisburgh juvenile team.

Also down Kirk Lane was Addie Donaldson, saddler, and in the early 50s British Insulated Cables had their office down the lane on the left.

There's a couple more for you.

Mosser

JWM
28-Oct-09, 23:07
Anyone remember the bon-accord restraunt in the butchers nxt to christies?

Also my grandad had gibbies shop in coach road, before that he had a place up at e droam at was in the old days when there was nothing there bar a housing scheme if i remember correctly from the stories he used to tell me, he delivered sunday news papers around town for 50 years. Man that was dedication!!

There was also Janets shop at the end of the street where the beautician Gilian is now. Used to get lovely gundy there never see it anywhere nowadays loved it when i was a kid.

Fran
29-Oct-09, 01:27
This is an old thread, it was started in April!!
I think the biggest loss now which old shops always had is... a chair. There is never a chair for old wifies to sit on when you go shopping so my mother wont come out to shops with me now.

Mosser
29-Oct-09, 15:27
Anyone remember the bon-accord restraunt in the butchers nxt to christies?

Also my grandad had gibbies shop in coach road, before that he had a place up at e droam at was in the old days when there was nothing there bar a housing scheme if i remember correctly from the stories he used to tell me, he delivered sunday news papers around town for 50 years. Man that was dedication!!

There was also Janets shop at the end of the street where the beautician Gilian is now. Used to get lovely gundy there never see it anywhere nowadays loved it when i was a kid.

Yes the Bon Accord was a very popular place well run by sisters Lena and Betty Davidson.
Gibbies shop at the 'drome was next to the houses and was a tiny place but well supported by the folk around.
In Louisburgh St before Janet's John Cameron owned the shop and along from him was Mrs Reid another grocer.

Mosser

Bonnie Parker-Duke
21-Sep-15, 01:14
I wonder if someone can help me. I'm wondering if, since Cabrelli's, then L. Iaccheri's, continued to operate during WWII (albeit under management other than the Italian family), the menu changed substantially. How did it change? What did they serve? Did they find a way to serve ice cream? Or did they have to change the menu completely?

I would appreciate any help you may be able to give and I thank you in advance.

Bonnie

Mosser
21-Sep-15, 21:29
I wonder if someone can help me. I'm wondering if, since Cabrelli's, then L. Iaccheri's, continued to operate during WWII (albeit under management other than the Italian family), the menu changed substantially. How did it change? What did they serve? Did they find a way to serve ice cream? Or did they have to change the menu completely?

I would appreciate any help you may be able to give and I thank you in advance.

Bonnie

The place was taken by Charlie Ball (the Italian family were interned) and run as a restaurant completely different from Cabrelli's, it earned the nickname of "Hell's Kitchen."