PDA

View Full Version : Best Cell (mobile) Provider

alex
10-Apr-09, 20:58
I'll be back in th UK tomorrow and my ZAIN card will be out of range so will need to buy a new SIM card.

In the past on return to the UK I used to buy a throwaway pay as you go T-mobile SIM which was fine in the big towns but it's been a while and I am well out of touch.

I am guessing that not all mobile companies work well in Thurso. Who has the best coverage and strongest signal around Caithness?

Fran
10-Apr-09, 20:59
I have vodaphone which works perfectly up in Caithness. i have been told that Tesco is very good and was considering that as the calls are cheaper.

poppett
10-Apr-09, 21:14
Our family mobiles are all Vodafone and apart from Brora car park has a signal all over the country.

Did try the Tesco one when it came out at first, but took it back for a refund as very poor signal in the Highlands.

bettedaviseyes
10-Apr-09, 21:18
Orange is really good and you get orange wednesdays you txt orange and they send a code to your phone for you and a friend to get into the cinema free[lol]

joxville
10-Apr-09, 21:18
I'm currently with Orange which is absolute crap. In the past I have been with o2, T-mobile, and Vodafone. I was with o2 for 7 years, no problems with them at all, I only changed because of a good deal offered in newspaper. When my present contract runs out I will go back to either o2 or Vodafone, I'll never use Orange again.

the poacher
10-Apr-09, 21:21
my family is with vodaphone me personaly i think it is the best wouldnt change to a diffrent network

Alice in Blunderland
10-Apr-09, 21:23
I'm currently with Orange which is absolute crap. In the past I have been with o2, T-mobile, and Vodafone. I was with o2 for 7 years, no problems with them at all, I only changed because of a good deal offered in newspaper. When my present contract runs out I will go back to either o2 or Vodafone, I'll never use Orange again.

Thought it was only Alice that made a Blunder :lol: ;) hee hee

joxville
10-Apr-09, 21:24
Orange is really good and you get orange wednesdays you txt orange and they send a code to your phone for you and a friend to get into the cinema free[lol]

I find Orange to be dreadful. I had complaints from people saying they can never get in touch with me so I've actually phoned my mobile from a landline only for it to go straight to voicemail. Also, on Monday I got a text asking me to call my voicemail, there was a message left for me on 20/03/09-15 days later!! I can't wait for this contract to come to an end, the service is deplorable.

joxville
10-Apr-09, 21:40
Thought it was only Alice that made a Blunder :lol: ;) hee hee

I only changed to Orange cos I got a 32" LCD TV as part of the deal. But I won't be staying with them.

PS Thanks for the good rep.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Apr-09, 21:42
I only changed to Orange cos I got a 32" LCD TV as part of the deal. But I won't be staying with them.

PS Thanks for the good rep.

I owed u ;) is that jox 2 alice 1 I never got caught out with a tv offer too level headed.................... :lol:

joxville
10-Apr-09, 21:50
I owed u ;) is that jox 2 alice 1 I never got caught out with a tv offer too level headed.................... :lol:

Nope, still 2-0, I'm sure you've been caught out some other way.

Dadie
10-Apr-09, 21:50
Im with tescos .... tried phones on all networks in my house and t mobile couldnt get a signal anywhere.... orange was the same...so I figured to just go for the cheapest option for my usage as I only use the mobile when out anyway!
I have found a couple of spots in the house you can get enough signal to get txt messages on!

teenybash
10-Apr-09, 22:34
I think Vodaphone is the best as never had any probs with signal.....

NLP
10-Apr-09, 22:44
I'm with Tesco no trouble with signals unless the phone is near the pc, have had no trouble with it out and about.

wee sparkle
10-Apr-09, 22:45
Well, i'm on O2 right now, recently switched from vodafone.... and i think they are the best provider... simply because they have many offers.... such as two in the link below:

http://freesim.o2.co.uk/?f=BuXgYDui

Where you top up a certain amount each month.... and as a result you recieve either free texts or calls... depending on the package you chose...

But, you will also qualify for O2 surprises, each month after you top up... O2 send you a code, which you enter on their website... and this gives you a surprise... be it free minutes/texts/internet browsing time... so i personally would recommend them... and their signal is pretty good!

=)

joxville
11-Apr-09, 00:02
Im with tescos .... tried phones on all networks in my house and t mobile couldnt get a signal anywhere.... orange was the same...so I figured to just go for the cheapest option for my usage as I only use the mobile when out anyway!
I have found a couple of spots in the house you can get enough signal to get txt messages on!

What sort of spots.....I have a paint splash on the carpet, do you think they'll work? [lol]

purplelady
11-Apr-09, 00:16
have to agree o2 or vodofone are the best 2 for caithness

SNOWDOG
11-Apr-09, 00:17
Changed from Vodafone to Orange 6 months ago and i havent looked back. The Vodafone signal was just getting worse and worse to the extent that i couldnt rely on it anymore. To date the only place ive found where the Orange signal is poor is in Golspie.

Welcomefamily
11-Apr-09, 08:05
I have a dual sim phone with O2 and vodaphone, I get a better signal on O2 in general, however the phone from Hong Kong and it also gives me a signal on O2 where my wife and daughter do not get one. I even get a full signal across west as well.

Fluff
11-Apr-09, 09:44
I agree with the other posters in that O2 or Vodafone are the best in Caithness.

From what I can remember the only place I could not get a decent signal in Thurso with O2 was when I worked for BT, signal was poor in the buildings.

squidge
11-Apr-09, 09:50
I have been with o2 forever and i have never had any problems

alex
11-Apr-09, 21:10
Okly dokly, thanks - on your recommendations I've got me a pay as you talk vodafone and if it let's me down will switch.

My next question will be the best place to get warm clothes in Thurso, I'm in London and it's cold here (to me!) Easter Day tomorrow and everywhere is going to be shut.

Thanks everyone :)

Aaldtimer
11-Apr-09, 21:57
http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=266

This is probably your best bet for the rugged outdoors stuff!:)

Welcome back Alex!

alex
22-Apr-09, 23:35
My cell phone has been dead for nearly two days. Vodafone just came back, literally as I typed this.

O2 and T-mobile seemingly had signals throughout, Orange was intermittent (mostly absent).

Ah well, I've got a landline now. hopefully that'll work.

Invisible
23-Apr-09, 12:05
02 gets my vote