PDA

View Full Version : Quiz 5th March

_Ju_
26-Feb-06, 22:51
OK... 5th march for the next quiz evening (20:30 uk time). If I were you and planning to be at the quiz, I would polish up on my latin and all latin based languages.... ;-)

I hope it will be fun. Be there and enjoy yourselves

Moira
26-Feb-06, 23:00
And here was me thinking Connie's Quiz was hard - lol! Now I won't be able to sleep all week worrying about my latin (or lack of). Will dredge the memory bank & see what I can up with for next week :)

canuck
26-Feb-06, 23:06
A latin scholar as quizmaster! I'm dead already. The questions from our 17 year old member, Apocalyse, now seem less daunting.

Just remember that rollerhockey is played on rollerblades. Steet hockey is played on shoes.

DrSzin
27-Feb-06, 02:14
Dulce et Decorum est
Pro Ottawa mori

canuck
27-Feb-06, 02:45
Dulce et Decorum est
Pro Ottawa mori

What do you mean, charm and grace live, Ottawa dies?

DrSzin
27-Feb-06, 11:40
What do you mean, charm and grace live, Ottawa dies?Eh? :confused:

That's not what it says. It's a (slightly modified) quote from one of the best-known British poems of the twentieth century. If I know it, then it must be well-known. :lol:

canuck
27-Feb-06, 12:26
Dulce et Decorum est
Pro Ottawa mori

Thank you for the new clarity in your last post. I went searching and found this on a website. The poet is Wildrid Owen.

"For those of you whose Latin isn't so hot -- or didn't learn this in high school: the title of the poem is derived from the adage dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, which is also the finale of the poem. It means "How sweet and decorous it is to die for one's country". "

My Latin is less than "not so hot." It is non-existent. In my high school days it was an "option" subject. So while the real students were doing painful stuff to verbs, I was either curling or growing things on petri dishes.

I appreciate your words of support, now that I know what they mean. :grin:

You are correct to think that I should know the poem because of its connection to Remembrance Day. Unfortunately, "dulce and decorum" is not used in Canada, rather, for Remembrance Day, we normally read Canadian John McRae's "In Flander's Fields." Now that we have that cleared up, c.orgers let's all have a great week, but keep your Latin books handy, you who know how to use them. Some of us will stick to the ceilidh side of the quiz gathering on Sunday.

Moira
27-Feb-06, 15:37
Thank you DrSzin & Canuck for bringing back to my mind the days when I studied this poem for my Higher English exam. I think the poet's name was Wilfred, though ;)

I'll be on the ceilidh side of the quizroom too, Canuck - we can pass round the glasses of fruit & the (healthy, non-fattening) snacks :grin:

porshiepoo
27-Feb-06, 16:17
Damnant quodnon intelligunt, eh Ju! lol [lol]

Come on you guys, you're all familiar with words like Vice versa, Post mortem, Sic, Ad hoc -- all Latin.

Should be a good one. Maybe I'll actually get a few points this time??? lol.
Although it is as much to do with speed typing as it is knowledge.

Rheghead
27-Feb-06, 16:44
Latin languages?

Non Metuo

Saveman
27-Feb-06, 17:05
Eh? :confused:

That's not what it says. It's a (slightly modified) quote from one of the best-known British poems of the twentieth century. If I know it, then it must be well-known. :lol:

Wilfred Owen....had to do it at school

canuck
27-Feb-06, 18:20
Come on you guys, you're all familiar with words like Vice versa, Post mortem, Sic, Ad hoc -- all Latin.

Porshiepoo you give me hope. My favorite Latin phrase is "in hunc effectum".
It is used in church law to mean "for this one and only purpose."

golach
05-Mar-06, 14:47
Sorry I will not be able to attend tonights quiz, will be entertaining two furreners from Engerland sic Lizz and her hubby. Have a good time all

canuck
05-Mar-06, 15:08
Sorry to read that Golach. We shall miss you. Have a good visit with your company.

DrSzin
05-Mar-06, 19:29
I have the same excuse as Golach. :)

canuck
05-Mar-06, 20:19
With golach and DrSzin out partying and acameron tied up eating sticky birthday cake, Moira and I have a chance this afternoon (yes, your evening). However, the lines from Canada are very slow again today, so I'm putting all my hopes on Moira.

_Ju_
05-Mar-06, 20:39
With golach and DrSzin out partying and acameron tied up eating sticky birthday cake, Moira and I have a chance this afternoon (yes, your evening). However, the lines from Canada are very slow again today, so I'm putting all my hopes on Moira.

So that the playing field is level, there are questions that do not rely solely on quick typing.....

Moira
05-Mar-06, 20:57
So that the playing field is level, there are questions that do not rely solely on quick typing.....

Do these questions rely on quick thinking then _Ju_ ?? I fear I have had it on all counts tonight - BB connection is s l o w , the phone line must be frozen - lol, & I never could rely on the brain too much ;) See you all in a little while then - apart from the boozers in Auld Reekie that is - hope you all have a good time :o)

connieb19
05-Mar-06, 23:24
How did the quiz go? I had visitors, so couldn't make it. I did try to get rid of them but by the time I got rid of them it was too late!![evil]

Moira
05-Mar-06, 23:37
How did the quiz go? I had visitors, so couldn't make it. I did try to get rid of them but by the time I got rid of them it was too late!![evil]

Another good night Connie - I did wonder where you were. You should have taken your visitors to the computer & had them help you with the answers! We had red wine & cake tonight (the cake was for ACameron's birthday)

Everyone was complaining about the slow connection tonight - seemed worse than normal - must be the weather! Quiz was won by Highlander (well actually Fluff, her daughter) so Fluff is running next week's quiz. Canuck came a very respectable & close second with 6 marks. WD Canuck :D Hope to see you all next week.

canuck
05-Mar-06, 23:42
Thanks Moira, but no glory in this household. I dropped the fly ball hit to me in centre field. At least I got the question about the vicar.

golach
06-Mar-06, 10:50

Oh and what a party we had lol, when 4 Orgers get together with a wee beer or two ...... well what can I say, we had a good laugh, Mrs G a non Orger and a pal of mine who arrived, were left out in the cold, with handles flying around, Lizz, her hubby Ken, DrSzin and myself, sorted out the Message Boards, lol no we did not. Glad to see the Quiz went well, and congrats, Highlander & Fluff