PDA

View Full Version : Comedians ?

Iffy
10-Apr-09, 14:26
My OH is a HUGE fan of comedy on TV :lol:

We have a difference of opinion as to who we find funny or programmes with funny lines...

Who do other orgers find funny ? ....

P/S - I'll let you know my favourite comedy "guy" a wee bit later.....:eek:

joxville
10-Apr-09, 14:43
I don't find anything from America funny-especially Ruby Wax. Don't we have enough crass, annoying people of our own without importing them too? Russell Brand springs to mind. I don't 'get' Lee Evans, although he does work hard at his shows.

I like: Billy Connolly, Bill Bailey, Mitchell & Webb, Jack Dee, Dara O'Briain, Frankie Boyle, Stepehen Fry, Mock The Week, Bottom, The Young Ones, Peep Show, Fonejacker, to name a few.

Bad Manners
10-Apr-09, 14:48
For me it is still Billy Conolly, Bill Bailey and Frank Carson he was never political correct but he did have some good one liners

honey
10-Apr-09, 15:20
Frankie Boyle
Alan Carr
Jimmy Carr
Michael MCintyre
Ed Byrne
Peter Kay (stand up, not tv progs)

but my abslute favourite ust now has to be Jason Byrne, he is hilarious!

buddyrich
10-Apr-09, 15:46
I'll have a punt at 'er.

Billl Hicks, Stewart Lee and George Carlin are three great comics.

Honourable mention for Jackie Mason, Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy when he was funny. Dice Clay's obscene nursery rhymes are quite good too.

The best tv comedy by far i think is Peep Show.

Does anyone recall Absolutely? It was superb surreal scottish nonsense. Jack Docherty as McGlashan the deranged scottish nationalist was utterly sublime. "There are 5 million people in scotland right? But there are forty BILLION people of scottish descent in the world! Only six billion people on earth? More lies by the English!!!!!!"

Gene Hunt
10-Apr-09, 16:05
I always thought the likes of The Fast Show, Harry Enfield's TV Programme and Goodness Gracious Me were always funny. I just dont find that much on Television lately genuinely amusing. These always make me crack up though ..

Unlucky Alf .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQfqxb2Nuk8

Mr Cholmondley Warner .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4CXY6TVBMc

And after seeing Joxville flirt away on here I reckon this is him .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0HHX4Ur9g&feature=related

Shabbychic
10-Apr-09, 18:17
I don't find very much comedy on TV nowadays. Sadly, some of the things I found funny in the past are old hat now, and I seem to have outgrown them.

The ones I still find funny are:-

Father Ted.
Blackadder (but not Mr Bean)
Only Fools and Horses.
The Young Ones.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

I find on the whole, American humour occassionally funny but mainly not, and British Humour cheap and crass, with too much innuendo and toilet humour.

I find the French have a good sense of humour, as do, believe it or not, the Chinese. (In films)

I very often find better humour on here than on TV. So keep up the good work folks. I really need a laugh now and then.:D

the poacher
10-Apr-09, 18:32
its got to be still game for me watched every episode then went out and bought the whole set on dvd

you cant beat jack and victor they are sooooo funny:lol:

Penelope Pitstop
10-Apr-09, 18:40
its got to be still game for me watched every episode then went out and bought the whole set on dvd

you cant beat jack and victor they are sooooo funny:lol:

I was reading all the posts and was thinking exactly the same thing as you ....Still Game...absolutely brilliant.

I also like the other series with "jack" in it - could be called The Green or something?? Same type of humour....sooooooperb!![lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-09, 18:58
Billy Conolly,Lee Evans,Frankie Boyle and Robin Williams.Funniest guys.
Still Game was funny,the guys have fallen out though,because they believed in their own hype.Fawlty Towers was funnier.Best thing about comedy programmes,take it so far and leave it,don't milk it.

ett23
10-Apr-09, 19:02
I don't find very much comedy on TV nowadays. Sadly, some of the things I found funny in the past are old hat now, and I seem to have outgrown them.

The ones I still find funny are:-

Father Ted.
Blackadder (but not Mr Bean)
Only Fools and Horses.
The Young Ones.

I agree, most of the humour nowadays is full of swearing and obscenities and innuendo or worse! The old stuff was the best. Give me an Only Fools episode anyday. Also my dad brought me up on Morecambe and Wise, Frank Carson, Brian Connely, Canon and Ball, The Two Ronnies, Open All Hours..... they really made me laugh.
Nowadays I find Harry Hill hilarious, also Malcolm in the Middle and Scrubs, Everybody Loves Raymond. But not much else is worth turning on these days. :roll:

acameron
10-Apr-09, 19:23
does anyone recall absolutely? It was superb surreal scottish nonsense. Jack docherty as mcglashan the deranged scottish nationalist was utterly sublime. "there are 5 million people in scotland right? But there are forty billion people of scottish descent in the world! Only six billion people on earth? More lies by the english!!!!!!"

stoneybridge!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-09, 19:41
Absolutely was a classic comedy programme.But Stoneybridge etc was written by the Scottish comedians who were involved.It was the Monty Python of its day.But ma favourite sketches fae Absolutely were Shadwell and the wee lassie who sat on the classroom table and always finished the sketch with "its true!!!!!".
I laugh cos comedy puns carry on today.Ma youngest laughs his head off when the wee lassie on Phineas and Ferb says,"Watcha doin?":lol::lol:

the poacher
10-Apr-09, 20:02
I was reading all the posts and was thinking exactly the same thing as you ....Still Game...absolutely brilliant.

I also like the other series with "jack" in it - could be called The Green or something?? Same type of humour....sooooooperb!![lol]

ithink it was called dear green place or somthing like that.
anyway it was great aswell as still game.

scorrie
10-Apr-09, 20:36
ithink it was called dear green place or somthing like that.
anyway it was great aswell as still game.

I think Dear Green Place was written by the guy who played Winston in Still Game. If I remember rightly, the BBC cut it after the second series.

Apparently Greg Hemphill (Victor) had/has aspirations of being a serious actor. Ford Keirnan (Jack) is supposed to be an aerosol in real life. A combination of those factors have meant that Still Game is off the menu for now.

hotrod4
10-Apr-09, 20:54
Favourite Comedians:
Roy chubby brown
Rodney Carrington

Favourite Comedies:
Father ted
Chewin The fat
Still Game
South Park
American Dad
Family Guy

Kenneth
11-Apr-09, 10:37
oh my goodness i hate roy chubby brown

Shabbychic
11-Apr-09, 11:41
Thinking of comedians has brought to mind the late, great, Matt McGinn.

They don't write stuff like this anymore:-

He kept bees in the old town of Effen
An Effen beekeeper was he
And one day this Effen beekeeper
Was stung by a big Effen bee

Now this big Effen beekeeper's wee Effen wife
For the big Effen polis she ran
For there's nobody can sort out a big Effen bee
Like a big Effen polisman can

The big Effen polisman, he did his nut
And he ran down the main Effen street
In his hand was a big Effen baton
He had big Effen boots on his feet

The polis got hold of this big Effen bee
And he twisted the Effen bee's wings
But this big Effen bee got his own back
For this big Effen bee had two stings

Now they're both in the Effen museum
Where the Effen folk often come see
The remains of the big Effen polis
Stung to death by the big Effen bee

That's the end of that wee Effen story
'Tis an innocent wee Effen tale
But if you ever tell it in Effen
You'll end up in the auld Effen jail

Julia
11-Apr-09, 12:49
I think Eddie Izzard, Bill Bailey, Lee Evans, Robin Williams and Harry Hill are really funny (not seen Harry Hill do stand up yet only TV Burp and YBF!).

Cannot stand chubby brown - he should be set adrift in the same boat as bernard manning and bill hicks, all 3 disgust me. [disgust]

GetWithTheTimes
11-Apr-09, 14:10
Comedians: Rhod Gilbert, Billy connelly (earlier stuff), Dave Chappelle, Eddie Murphy, Chris rock, Kat Williams, Bill Bailey, Stephen Wright, chris tucker, Martin Lawrence, Bernie Mac got more but cant think just now lol

Shows: Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Chappelle show, Chewin the fat, Still Game loads i cant think of them all

Amy-Winehouse
11-Apr-09, 14:14
Two & A Half men with Charlie Sheen

King of Queens

Shameless

Russell Brand used to annoy me but now I find him funny as stuck 2 fingers up at everyone & it hasnt damaged his rep at all.

Father Ted

Jethro

Chubby Brown

Bernard Manning

Jimmy Davidson

Andy Cameron:Razz

Charlie Nicholas[lol]

Gene Hunt
11-Apr-09, 14:55
Bill Hicks always made me giggle, I liked his attitude. The only way Russell Brand could make me laugh though is if he threw himself head first into a wood chipper.

I have been watching a lot of Scrubs lately, its one of the best comedies to come out of the states and always makes me laugh.

GetWithTheTimes
11-Apr-09, 16:17
Bill Hicks always made me giggle, I liked his attitude. The only way Russell Brand could make me laugh though is if he threw himself head first into a wood chipper.

I have been watching a lot of Scrubs lately, its one of the best comedies to come out of the states and always makes me laugh.

no way i cant believe i missed bill hicks out lol he is amazing straight talker man

scorrie
11-Apr-09, 16:27
Cannot stand chubby brown - he should be set adrift in the same boat as bernard manning and bill hicks, all 3 disgust me. [disgust]

Bill Hicks has been dead for about 15 years, Bernard has had his chips more recently, so I doubt they will be setting sail now!!

I agree with you about Chubby though. I don't mind swearing at all but he is simply neither very clever or at all funny. He was Gazza's favourite comedian, that about says it all.

I think Michael McIntyre is one of the sharpest around today. I would have put Frankie Boyle in there but he seems increasingly to be resorting to delving into areas where other comedians don't go in order to get new material. Bestiality and Necrophilia have never been my cup of comedic tea.

buddyrich
11-Apr-09, 16:36
Im surprised that someone could be disgusted by Hicks. He may have created some vulgar images but there was always a point to what he was saying. It's a shame you lump him in with two people i wouldnt describe as that funny or intelligent which Hicks definitely was.

Bernard Manning and Chubby Brown were generally just being cretinous for it's own sake. They're kind of sad characters really.

Julia
11-Apr-09, 16:46
I used to think Bill Hicks was okay but I recently saw a clip of him that just put me right off, the aforementioned material is completely unrepeatable and totally threw a new light on Hicks for me and that's why he is clubbed in with those other two 'comedians'.

buddyrich
11-Apr-09, 17:17
He was a true original though. Poor Dennis Leary couldnt come up with material so just robbed Hicks stuff verbatim.

Gene Hunt
11-Apr-09, 20:46
He was a true original though. Poor Dennis Leary couldnt come up with material so just robbed Hicks stuff verbatim.

Yup, spot on. I like the series Leary does called "Rescue Me" about New York firefighters but his stand up stuff is pretty mediocre at best.

I saw Ricky Gervais live and he is quite funny though.

Ash
11-Apr-09, 22:07
last week saw Jimmy Carr, he was hysterical!
love peter kay
alan carr
chris tucker
chris rock
frankie boyle
billy connolly