PDA

View Full Version : Iran opens nuclear fuel facility!

justine
10-Apr-09, 14:18
Watching the news last night and reading this article today i have to wonder if the Americans have genuine worries or not. I can see why they would believe that the Iranians may build a nuclear weapon but they cant be certain.
I always get the impression that only certain countries will ever be able to have Nuclear power.So why is it America feels the need to question motives.
The super Powers want to controll the system but to what cost.
Would you worry if Iran had Nuclear power.

ttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7991282.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7991282.stm)

Rheghead
10-Apr-09, 14:21

It may bring political stability to the region. Well that was the reasoning behind why nuke weapons brought peace to post WW2.

justine
10-Apr-09, 14:24
It may bring political stability to the region. Well that was the reasoning behind why nuke weapons brought peace to post WW2.

If only it was so simple.

I believe (not to sure though) do the Iranians have links and loyalty to the Taliban?

joxville
10-Apr-09, 14:30
Am I worried? I think I'm in more danger from an American with a gun than an Iranian with a nuclear weapon.

northener
10-Apr-09, 14:35
Not really Justine. The Iranians detest the Taliban but have been accused of repeatedly arming and training members of the Taliban. This is believed to be simply a case of causing the US as many problems as they can without direct conflict - thus making the US more receptive of Iranian offers of a deal.

Rather than me blathering on (and probably getting it wrong), try reading this link, Justine. it gives a brief historical snapshot and provides information of the current relationship between Iran and Afghanistan.

http://www.cfr.org/publication/13578/iran_and_the_future_of_afghanistan.html

Not the Big Bad Baddies that Bush and some others would have us believe.....

Gene Hunt
10-Apr-09, 14:47
I think the fact the Iranians have been supporting those fighting against our troops with the fact their President has openly stated that he wants Israel wiped off the map doesn't exactly inspire confidence in them. If they do develop Nukes then it will just put them on a level par with Israel, and a stalemate held the peace in the Cold War after all.

I am personally more worried about the situation in Pakistan, they already have Nukes. The Taliban and Al-Qaeda are making inroads there with the Taliban controlling a district after the Goverment caved in. It is a hotbed of Al Qaeda recruitment and it is easier to steal one and make a dirty bomb than construct one from scratch.

TBH
10-Apr-09, 14:52
Watching the news last night and reading this article today i have to wonder if the Americans have genuine worries or not. I can see why they would believe that the Iranians may build a nuclear weapon but they cant be certain.
I always get the impression that only certain countries will ever be able to have Nuclear power.So why is it America feels the need to question motives.
The super Powers want to controll the system but to what cost.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7991282.stmI don't see any reason why they should not have nuclear power stations and by the way, that is one helluva BIG Signature.[lol]

justine
10-Apr-09, 14:58
Not really Justine. The Iranians detest the Taliban but have been accused of repeatedly arming and training members of the Taliban. This is believed to be simply a case of causing the US as many problems as they can without direct conflict - thus making the US more receptive of Iranian offers of a deal.

Rather than me blathering on (and probably getting it wrong), try reading this link, Justine. it gives a brief historical snapshot and provides information of the current relationship between Iran and Afghanistan.

http://www.cfr.org/publication/13578/iran_and_the_future_of_afghanistan.html

Not the Big Bad Baddies that Bush and some others would have us believe.....

cheers northerner. I have been doing some checking to understand what the americans are worried about and had not come up with anything as of yet. The only word that seems to keep coming up is Taliban,but i think everyone has a right to nuclear power as long as its used accordingly.

I see it the Americans were quick off the mark to use their weapons back in Hiroshima so really dont have a leg to stand on when it comes to others.

THB,no need to be shouting at me , my speakers are off.:lol:

Kenn
10-Apr-09, 23:23
I see no reason why Iran should not have nuclear power as long as it is used for generating and can be verified as such.
It is a vast country without many resources and as they try to improve the conditions for their citizens this would seem to be one of the few options open to them.