PDA

View Full Version : When will 'Twitter' burn itself out?

percy toboggan
10-Apr-09, 10:53
I stopped tweeting about three weeks ago. Haven't missed it. Before 'signing-out' I had a look again today and found little of any import...just a few totally trivial tweets about nothing much by people I'll never know.

It's not easy to come up with witty, or humorous things to say in 140 words ...much less that which might interest or stimulate others who know you little, if at all.

I decided the effort was too much. If in doubt say now is nowt my motto.

Have you tired of twittering?

Thanks to the people who were 'following' me. If yer still interested after this there's always the blog. A much more satisfying medium for the locquatious.

Which reminds me I must find something to write - York Railway Museum anyone?

anneoctober
10-Apr-09, 11:13
I stopped tweeting about three weeks ago. Haven't missed it. Before 'signing-out' I had a look again today and found little of any import...just a few totally trivial tweets about nothing much by people I'll never know.

It's not easy to come up with witty, or humorous things to say in 140 words ...much less that which might interest or stimulate others who know you little, if at all.

I decided the effort was too much. If in doubt say now is now my motto.

Have you tired of twittering?

Thanks to the people who were 'following' me. If yer still interested after this there's always the blog. A much more satisfying medium for the locquatious.

Which reminds me I must find something to write - York Railway Museum anyone?
Must admit Percy, I've never thought of you & "twitter" having anything in common! :lol:

Shabbychic
10-Apr-09, 11:53
I have never understood why people use these sites to discuss their innermost thoughts and secrets with complete strangers. I don't mind discussing things online, like on here, but I believe these networking sites are not only dangerous, but sad. Especially for younger folk who don't where to draw the line, who end up putting pictures of themselves and saying stupid things which may come back to haunt them in the future.

But hey, different strokes and all that.:)

Kodiak
10-Apr-09, 12:13
Until you try this site "Twitter" dont knock it.

I use it but for information. I get instant messages from BBC News of breaking news long before being broadcast. Same goes for CNN and most of the other News agency's.

I also get instant Information from NASA, Astronautics, Jodrell Bank, several Politicians and all breaking news direct from 10 Downing Street.

So "Twitter" is not just for teens to share their private thoughts with complete strangers.

It is a place where you can get information that is of interest to you.

If you use "Twitter" correctly for your requirments, then it can be very informative and interesting tool.

Just for information "Google" is in talks with "Twitter" as they wish to by "Twitter" for £500 Million. So I think "Twitter" will be going for quite some time.

joxville
10-Apr-09, 12:25
I agree percy, what can you say in the limit of 140 words. A couple of times when I logged in a message came up that it was over capacity. Now, my life isn't so hectic and full that I must tell everyone every minute of the day what I'm doing, whereas some are so desperate to share their life with the world that I can see Twitter being a victim of it's own success, people will get sick of reading so much rubbish and close their account-perhaps they should limit tweets to 5 per day, though some may stop using it. I put on three posts yesterday afternoon,(I refuse to use the word tweets), on my journey to Glasgow and two last night-to me that was sufficient.

I'm sure whatever you wrote about York Railway Museum would be interesting percy-it's a place I intend visiting someday.

minnie
10-Apr-09, 12:29
I joined twitter a few weeks ago totally didnt understand it,within the first ten minutes of useing it i got suspended,what for i do not know.

I then tried to delete my account and it does not have an option to do so :confused
So i can say i dina really ike it at all.

Kodiak
10-Apr-09, 12:36
Sure not everyone will like it but it really can be a great information gathering Tool.

One other thing joxville and percy toboggan. You are incorrect it is not 140 words that you can post as it is much less than that. It is Only 140 Characters including spaces, but you can continue in another tweet if you wish.

joxville
10-Apr-09, 12:39
Sure not everyone will like it but it really can be a great information gathering Tool.

One other thing joxville and percy toboggan. You are incorrect it is not 140 words that you can post as it is much less than that. It is Only 140 Characters including spaces, but you can continue in another tweet if you wish.

SorrypedantIshallgoandwhipmyselfwithawillowbrancha ndgroundmyselffortwoweeks.;)

Kodiak
10-Apr-09, 12:48
SorrypedantIshallgoandwhipmyselfwithawillowbrancha ndgroundmyselffortwoweeks.;)

If you really want to do this have fun over the Easter Weekend. Here is a funny just for you as I think you will appreciate it, :D

http://i41.tinypic.com/jt3upy.jpg

Rheghead
10-Apr-09, 13:12
I stopped tweeting about three weeks ago. Haven't missed it.

Ah that will explain why I started to follow you and nothing was coming through. As for the usefulness of twitter it is pretty limited because I think facebook wall notices suffice just as good if not better.

joxville
10-Apr-09, 13:32
If you really want to do this have fun over the Easter Weekend. Here is a funny just for you as I think you will appreciate it, :D

http://i41.tinypic.com/jt3upy.jpg

Good one Kodiak-only difference being I'm a baldie.:)

MadPict
10-Apr-09, 13:51
This is about all that needs to be said about Twitter.....

http://current.com/items/89891774/twouble_with_twitters.htm

northener
10-Apr-09, 14:22
This is about all that needs to be said about Twitter.....

http://current.com/items/89891774/twouble_with_twitters.htm

Brilliant!

anneoctober
10-Apr-09, 16:30
Good one Kodiak-only difference being I'm a baldie.:)
While those of us in the "know" are certain you don't wear a nightie......:eek:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-09, 20:13
I have never twittered.I get more enjoyment in real life and on the org.:)

Kodiak
10-Apr-09, 20:26
I have never twittered.I get more enjoyment in real life and on the org.:)

How do you know if you get More enjoyment in real life and on the org if you have Never Twittered?? Until you try you just do not know!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-09, 20:37
How do you know if you get More enjoyment in real life and on the org if you have Never Twittered?? Until you try you just do not know!!
I enjoy real life and the org.I'm happy,full of beans.To twitter is to bebo,yawn!!!All those sites oot in the worldwide web,I enjoy real life and the org.Don't ye get it Kodiak?

Kodiak
10-Apr-09, 20:44
I enjoy real life and the org.I'm happy,full of beans.To twitter is to bebo,yawn!!!All those sites oot in the worldwide web,I enjoy real life and the org.Don't ye get it Kodiak?

I get it but you don't, you just do not know as you think to Twitter is to bebo. Nothing like one another and I stand by what I said, until you try something you have no idea what it is like. That goes for everything in life!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-09, 21:05
I get it but you don't, you just do not know as you think to Twitter is to bebo. Nothing like one another and I stand by what I said, until you try something you have no idea what it is like. That goes for everything in life!!
If somebody genuinely wants to get in contact with me they will call me on my mobile.If they want to sell me something,they will call my home phone.The org is my means to meet other people.I don't twitter,or bebo.I don't want to go there!!Golach,I will disagree with now and again,but he's there to blether on here.Ye twitter aw ye want,but its not for me.

canuck
10-Apr-09, 21:12
If somebody genuinely wants to get in contact with me they will call me on my mobile.If they want to sell me something,they will call my home phone.The org is my means to meet other people.I don't twitter,or bebo.I don't want to go there!!Golach,I will disagree with now and again,but he's there to blether on here.Ye twitter aw ye want,but its not for me.

Ah, Cedric, I still remember fondly that evening on the org when we all plunked ourselves down in Rheghead's living room, kicked off our shoes to warm our toes by his fireplace, told ghost stories and thoroughly enjoyed one another's company via cyberspace. We even remembered to blow out the candles before we left.

Kodiak
10-Apr-09, 21:12

You still do not understand.

If you do not wish to try out Twitter, fine super great and all that.

But you can not say what it is like until you try it, that is what I am saying.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-09, 21:23
You still do not understand.

If you do not wish to try out Twitter, fine super great and all that.

But you can not say what it is like until you try it, that is what I am saying.
I am orging.I'm on the org.So I'm orgering.What are ye trying to say?Twitter aw ye want,I'm a Caithness orger.I'm on the org.:lol::lol:

Kodiak
10-Apr-09, 21:31
I am orging.I'm on the org.So I'm orgering.What are ye trying to say?Twitter aw ye want,I'm a Caithness orger.I'm on the org.:lol::lol:

It is not difficult. What I am saying is this

If you have not tried anything, be it Twitter, Space Flight or even a Hot Dog, you can not say what it is like until you have tried it.

I can not say it any clearer.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-09, 21:40
It is not difficult. What I am saying is this

If you have not tried anything, be it Twitter, Space Flight or even a Hot Dog, you can not say what it is like until you have tried it.

I can not say it any clearer.
I have ate prunes,it gave me the runs.I have never ate them again.Twitter is a social site like Bebo.I don't like to wait for a response,unless its an emergency.I like the org.A response is usually not far behind.Go to your twitter site now,cos I can't.Have you had a response.Thats why I like the org.

P.s I have tried a Hot Dog,no enough onions though:lol::lol:

joxville
10-Apr-09, 21:52
Will you two just agree to disagree? :roll:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-09, 21:56
Will you two just agree to disagree? :roll:
Joxville,do ye twitter?:lol:

joxville
10-Apr-09, 22:03
Joxville,do ye twitter?:lol:

Aye, but ye ken that a'ready. I am seriously thinking of dropping it though, seems a bit of a chore sometimes, trying to think what to write.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Apr-09, 22:17
Ah, Cedric, I still remember fondly that evening on the org when we all plunked ourselves down in Rheghead's living room, kicked off our shoes to warm our toes by his fireplace, told ghost stories and thoroughly enjoyed one another's company via cyberspace. We even remembered to blow out the candles before we left.
I couldn't have said it better.:lol::lol:

MadPict
10-Apr-09, 22:51
In the words of Frankie Howerd, "Twitter ye not"....

northener
10-Apr-09, 23:09
Are Twitterers known as Twits?

Good job it's an 'i' and not an 'a'........;)

percy toboggan
12-Apr-09, 15:50
Aye, but ye ken that a'ready. I am seriously thinking of dropping it though, seems a bit of a chore sometimes, trying to think what to write.

If you have to think about it for long it's probably best left untwittered.

Also methinks Cedric & Kodiak are each flogging dead 'orses.
At the end of the day (or in the morning) who gives a monkeys chuff who does what? I used this thread partly as an explanation to the nine people that were 'following' me. Most of whom are here on ths forum.
Still, it's sometimes fun to light the blue touch paper and stand well back !

Tom Cornwall
29-May-09, 21:22
I agree with 'Kodiak', I like twittering and use it sometimes as often as my phone, because I know the other person will look on Twitter quite a few times during the day...I quite like 'following' people to see what they're up to.. you don't want to be too serious about the 'net', life's too short..:)

Sage
29-May-09, 21:43
I use it an awful lot

some of it is absolute rubbish...but mostly its for keeping in touch with friends and family...quicker than email with none of the annoying apps in Facebook!:D

joxville
29-May-09, 22:06
I gave up on it weeks ago and closed my account.

bekisman
09-Jun-09, 10:28
Just hype it seems!

Micro-blogging service Twitter remains the preserve of a few, despite the hype surrounding it, according to research. Just 10% of Twitter users generate more than 90% of the content, a Harvard study of 300,000 users found.
Estimates suggest it now has more than 10 million users and is growing faster than any other social network.
However, the Harvard team found that more than half of all people using Twitter update their page less than once every 74 days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8089508.stm (wlmailhtml:{26BC08D6-598A-48C6-A6C2-1029F7A939D5}mid://00000000/!x-usc:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8089508.stm)