PDA

View Full Version : Holy oils

Rheghead
10-Apr-09, 00:13
I'm sure holy oils will make a real difference to the lives of those trapped under the rubble.:~(

JAWS
10-Apr-09, 00:17
Come on Rheghead, give us a clue. :D I'm guessing this is about the earthquake in Italy but I've not seen the latest news about it.

Anne x
10-Apr-09, 00:20
I'm sure holy oils will make a real difference to the lives of those trapped under the rubble.:~(

Lol and im quite sure Italy will be grateful SB

northener
10-Apr-09, 09:23
Might make people a bit slippy and easier to pull out.

Coat, door, get.

Venture
10-Apr-09, 09:41
The recent earthquake in Italy may be the but of jokes here on the org but to the families of the 287 who died and the surviviors it's a living nightmare.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7992936.stm

Alice in Blunderland
10-Apr-09, 09:51

Coat, door, get.

Thanks for that one............Im now wiping the tea from my computer screen :eek:

joxville
10-Apr-09, 12:32

Coat, door, get.

Will they use the extra virgin type? [lol]

Haweswater
11-Apr-09, 15:38
Hmm...the light-hearted comments regarding holy oils of anointing could be considered offensive, particularly to Catholics, even High Church Anglicans.
Irrespective of one's Christian tradition (or none) we'd do well to remember that the majority of the victims in the dreadful 'quake are most likely Catholic and if anointing/extreme unction did help bring some comfort to the dying then why should it be treated in such a dismissive manner?
In an age of supposed tolerance the veiled bigotry and racism that one encounters on this site never fails to amaze me.
Apologies for sounding a tad sensitive, but so far as comments that display a lack of understanding about the faith of others are concerned, then I admit to feelings of sadness.
That's all I have to say on the matter and I am not entering a lengthy debate that will deteriorate into a sectarian/religious conflict of words.

bekisman
11-Apr-09, 16:12
'I'm sure holy oils will make a real difference to the lives of those trapped under the rubble.'

Bit shocked by this, couple of the posters have treated this very flippantly.
I'm a died in the wool atheist, but fully accept that others have their beliefs, a lot of those folks buried under the rubble will have deeply held convictions, and any help in whatever religious form will be of comfort.
Having dug out bodies of those buried under buildings in the aftermath of bomb explosions and the fear and traumatised faces of those who had been trapped for hours, whilst around them in their dark and fetid entombment others were dying of crush injuries is a memory I'd rather forget - keep it a bit decent folks..

scorrie
11-Apr-09, 16:53
Hmm...the light-hearted comments regarding holy oils of anointing could be considered offensive, particularly to Catholics, even High Church Anglicans.
Irrespective of one's Christian tradition (or none) we'd do well to remember that the majority of the victims in the dreadful 'quake are most likely Catholic and if anointing/extreme unction did help bring some comfort to the dying then why should it be treated in such a dismissive manner?
In an age of supposed tolerance the veiled bigotry and racism that one encounters on this site never fails to amaze me.
Apologies for sounding a tad sensitive, but so far as comments that display a lack of understanding about the faith of others are concerned, then I admit to feelings of sadness.
That's all I have to say on the matter and I am not entering a lengthy debate that will deteriorate into a sectarian/religious conflict of words.

I understand your feelings but surely people also have a right to view said actions as pointless? It was a bit akin to the McCann family having an audience with the Pope to help find their daughter. A non-believer would see it as utterly pointless, whilst those with the faith might believe that the Pope had a special sway that could make the difference.
(I think we all know how that one worked out)

I find religious people to be some of the least tolerant and most easily offended people in the world. It is one of those funny, unwritten, rules of the Universe that those who "Believe" are supposed to be free of criticism of their "system", no matter how silly it might seem to others, yet we (the non-believers) have to tolerate some believers calling at our doors with their ideas and literature. Respect works both ways. If someone believes that Holy Oils made a difference then they should be happy in that faith and respect another person's belief that it was a waste of time. I am not holding my breath for that to happen though!!

I think the jokes that followed Rheghead's original post were intended as a light relief from an obvious tragedy.

binbob
11-Apr-09, 17:00

compassionate post,unlike some.but then they are just proving their ignorance and rudeness,no compassion whatsoever.shame on them.[disgust]

binbob
11-Apr-09, 17:02

Coat, door, get.

DISGUSTING COMMENT[disgust]

binbob
11-Apr-09, 17:03
Thanks for that one............Im now wiping the tea from my computer screen :eek:

thought u would be more compassionate...that is NOT funny.disgraceful.[disgust]

binbob
11-Apr-09, 17:10
I understand your feelings but surely people also have a right to view said actions as pointless? It was a bit akin to the McCann family having an audience with the Pope to help find their daughter. A non-believer would see it as utterly pointless, whilst those with the faith might believe that the Pope had a special sway that could make the difference.
(I think we all know how that one worked out)

I find religious people to be some of the least tolerant and most easily offended people in the world. It is one of those funny, unwritten, rules of the Universe that those who "Believe" are supposed to be free of criticism of their "system", no matter how silly it might seem to others, yet we (the non-believers) have to tolerate some believers calling at our doors with their ideas and literature. Respect works both ways. If someone believes that Holy Oils made a difference then they should be happy in that faith and respect another person's belief that it was a waste of time. I am not holding my breath for that to happen though!!

I think the jokes that followed Rheghead's original post were intended as a light relief from an obvious tragedy.

i DO NOT think so...........why did he post it at all.it was not done through feelings or compassion for these poor folk and their families.
what if some one had put a post re,light relief on the puma crash.i do not think u would feel the same ,nor would any of those posters above.no one would stoop sooooooooooo low in those circumstances.shame on you.[disgust]

scorrie
11-Apr-09, 17:30
i DO NOT think so...........why did he post it at all.it was not done through feelings or compassion for these poor folk and their families.
what if some one had put a post re,light relief on the puma crash.i do not think u would feel the same ,nor would any of those posters above.no one would stoop sooooooooooo low in those circumstances.shame on you.[disgust]

You do not know me, so please do not second guess what I may or may not do. Things happen in life, jokes do not make any difference to the outcome one way or the other.

I think you will find many emergency service people use very dark humour as part of dealing with often tragic circumstances. Even in the TV series ER, Nurse Hathaway described an incoming ambulance of burn victims as "Crispy Critters"

Life goes on and we deal with it in different ways.

binbob
11-Apr-09, 18:07
You do not know me, so please do not second guess what I may or may not do. Things happen in life, jokes do not make any difference to the outcome one way or the other.

I think you will find many emergency service people use very dark humour as part of dealing with often tragic circumstances. Even in the TV series ER, Nurse Hathaway described an incoming ambulance of burn victims as "Crispy Critters"

i do know that...i was a nurse ,but have no real memories of insulting any folk about that.

life does go on...but why single out this tragedy???no mention of fun about the aussie fires a while back.

ur right ,i do not know u,nor do u know me............???????:roll:

northener
11-Apr-09, 18:16
Yawn............

Alice in Blunderland
11-Apr-09, 18:28

In this post its not stated whether I spat my tea out with shock or laughter ! I dont however see a laughing face at the end of my post.

I also thought that and made no judgement. We are all different and handle things in different ways.

compassionate post,unlike some.but then they are just proving their ignorance and rudeness,no compassion whatsoever.shame on them.

binbob this is just namecalling. post against this if you must but dont stoop to calling people whom you dont know ignorant and rude.

DISGUSTING COMMENT

No nead to shout refer back to the rules where it clearly states about capitals mean you are shouting.

thought u would be more compassionate...that is NOT funny.disgraceful.

Oh dear a smack on the wrist from someone who has jumped to a conclusion on my answer ! This is not the first time you have jumped to a conclusion about me, last time ending up in you sending me an apology via pm. Deep breath in and re read some things if you need before posting against someone.

I happen to agree with this Scorrie the outcome is tragic but wont change. :(

scorrie
11-Apr-09, 20:25
i do know that...i was a nurse ,but have no real memories of insulting any folk about that.

life does go on...but why single out this tragedy???no mention of fun about the aussie fires a while back.

ur right ,i do not know u,nor do u know me............???????:roll:

Who is insulting anybody? The original comment was about an occurrence, rather than an individual person.

I am not sure how a gag on the slippery properties of oil could have been applied to fires in Australia in order to avoid singling out any particular tragedy. Perhaps we need to consider a blanket ban on jokes that can not be used with equal relevance in ALL situations.

I do not know you, but, unlike you, I am taking that fact into account and NOT trying to second guess how you would, or would not, react in a hypothetical situation.

binbob
11-Apr-09, 21:29
In this post its not stated whether I spat my tea out with shock or laughter ! I dont however see a laughing face at the end of my post.

I also thought that and made no judgement. We are all different and handle things in different ways.

binbob this is just namecalling. post against this if you must but dont stoop to calling people whom you dont know ignorant and rude.

No nead to shout refer back to the rules where it clearly states about capitals mean you are shouting.

Oh dear a smack on the wrist from someone who has jumped to a conclusion on my answer ! This is not the first time you have jumped to a conclusion about me, last time ending up in you sending me an apology via pm. Deep breath in and re read some things if you need before posting against someone.

I happen to agree with this Scorrie the outcome is tragic but wont change. :(

no apology this time...............and yes i would shout in person if i could.
happy easter.;)

Alice in Blunderland
11-Apr-09, 22:43
no apology this time...............and yes i would shout in person if i could.
happy easter.;)

I cannot see where in my post I requested an apology.

Its worth remembering that shouting is not allowed on the org thats why I pointed this out to you. Feel free to shout, I dont mind I have a good deaf ear and you can, if you wish, acompany it with a stamping foot. ;)

Im sure I will have a very happy easter indeed thanks for your wishes. :D

binbob
11-Apr-09, 22:46
goodnight............:lol:

Welcomefamily
11-Apr-09, 23:27
I can remember who said "our insight is only the reflection of our heart".

scorrie
11-Apr-09, 23:30
goodnight............:lol:

"Goodnight binbob, goodnight Mary Ellen, goodnight Ben, goodnight Jason, goodnight Elizabeth, goodnight John Boy, goodnight Erin, goodnight Pappa...............................Hey Momma, have you and Pappa ever considered them new-fangled Prophylactics? It's gettin' kinda time consumin' saying nighty-night around here!!"

oldmarine
11-Apr-09, 23:43

Coat, door, get.

When it happens to the other person it can be a big joke. However when it happens close to home it gets more serious.

Saveman
12-Apr-09, 14:30
If Rheghead is good at anything it's starting threads like this then sitting back and watching the drama unfold.

I guess it's a talent of sorts......

northener
12-Apr-09, 14:49
If Rheghead is good at anything it's starting threads like this then sitting back and watching the drama unfold.

It certainly is. The man is a True Master. I salute him.

Needs livening up around here anyway.

binbob
12-Apr-09, 14:51

how right u are...no sign today of him/her.;)

scorrie
12-Apr-09, 15:53
The commercial side of Holy Oils:-

http://www.discountcatholicstore.com/holy_oil.htm

Wonderful how they state that the Catholic Church forbids selling of blessed items, then sell it anyway!! Of course, it's "All for Charridy" so that makes it OK.

scorrie
12-Apr-09, 16:03
Goodness me. From the same online store I mentioned above, you can get this "Tasteful" bottle of Holy Water for $24

Will someone please tell me this is a spoof website?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/lw-virgin.jpg

bekisman
12-Apr-09, 17:11
If you're after the stuff see ebay; loads of holy water offers: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=holy+water&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Rheghead
12-Apr-09, 17:26
Goodness me. From the same online store I mentioned above, you can get this "Tasteful" bottle of Holy Water for $24

Will someone please tell me this is a spoof website?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/lw-virgin.jpg

Do they sell heavy duty holy water dispensers? I want to spray and pray.

scorrie
12-Apr-09, 17:40
If you're after the stuff see ebay; loads of holy water offers: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=holy+water&_sacat=See-All-Categories

No thanks. My Holy Water is here:-

http://greensbeverages.com/spirits/grouse-o.jpg