PDA

View Full Version : 3G Help?!

Fantoosh
09-Apr-09, 16:55
Hey there. Someone from the 3g network phoned me today offering me a new phone as my contract is nearly over. He said i could choose a phone and they would lower my monthly bills and pay off the rest of my o2 contract.

Does this sound ok? Ive heard that 3g isnt good signal up here, but he says that o2 and 3g are now using the same masts. Also my friend had a phone sent to her from 3g and she didnt like it so sent it back and she got charged for it, like £80 or something.

Does anyone know about this? Is anyone on the 3g network? Do you think i should agree? He is phoning me back soon as I said I would think about it?

Skerries
09-Apr-09, 17:00
I would avoid 3G. Hubby had a nightmare having to pay bills for a faulty mobile. We only got it sorted after a year and help from the ombudsman! You have been warned!!:eek:

Fantoosh
09-Apr-09, 17:26
ok, cheers for your reply. Think I will stick to o2.

thanks

Kodiak
09-Apr-09, 17:30
I Always go the rule :-

If you receice an offer that seems too good to be true.....

Then more than likly it is too good to be true, so avoid it. ;)

Vistravi
09-Apr-09, 18:29
Fantoosh 3G doesn't work in caithness. Caithness is a 3g black spot.
Stick with 02. ;)

Fluff
09-Apr-09, 18:39
3g dosnt seem to work anywhere! My phone apparently has 3g on it, there is one spot outside the staff entrance where the symbol appears and that is it!
pathetic.

goldenguernsey
09-Apr-09, 19:33
my son got duped like that, don't entertain them, they send u a phone but you don't get a return address to send it back, if you go over 7 days then you're obligated to them and they cannot pay off your O2 contract it's a lie. O2 told me only the contract holder can do anything re the contract, people have ended up paying 2 lots of contract payments not realising their O2 was still ongoing. Keep clear of them

Vistravi
09-Apr-09, 19:34
3g works in ness. my internet runs on it excently.

majic
09-Apr-09, 20:55
[QUOTE=goldenguernsey;530968]my son got duped like that, don't entertain them, they send u a phone but you don't get a return address to send it back, if you go over 7 days then you're obligated to them and they cannot pay off your O2 contract it's a lie. O2 told me only the contract holder can do anything re the contract, people have ended up paying 2 lots of contract payments not realising their O2 was still ongoing. Keep clear of them
there was something on the news the other week about 02 the person didnt get any signal so they took them to court and won so i wouldnt put up with there crap you can win

Fluff
09-Apr-09, 23:37
I think that was Orange

florence
21-Apr-09, 10:52
Go to their website and look for coverage maps. There's no 3G in Caithness, data goes over GSM at a lower rate. If you're using 3 they use O2's network so check their coverage also. O2 is the best signal in Wick.

poppett
21-Apr-09, 12:34
OH got caught with this offer and they tried to sue for the full thirteen month contract because the box the phone was in had been opened (..to access the paperwork !!) Took months to sort out and had to change our bank account to stop them taking the full contract price. When I worked it out their "good deal cheaper" was three times what we put on for top up as pay and you talk and they wanted £6.99 for insurance for loss or damage.

Buyer beware !

Geo
21-Apr-09, 13:14
There is no 3G network, just networks offering 3G services the most famous of which is Three. I have heard of cold calling by someone calling themselves 3G but they are not Three if you see what I mean.

If you use the Three network in Caithness they have an agreement with Orange to use their 2G network. They used to use O2 but that changed last year although there may still be some customers who haven't been changed over. I found the coverage better when they used O2.

The Angel Of Death
21-Apr-09, 13:21
Everyone i know that has used 3 as a service round here has had nothing but problems there "support" if you can call it that leaves a lot to be desired as well

Plague avoid fill in the rest

Wick66
21-Apr-09, 15:34
Hey there. Someone from the 3g network phoned me today offering me a new phone as my contract is nearly over. He said i could choose a phone and they would lower my monthly bills and pay off the rest of my o2 contract.

Does this sound ok? Ive heard that 3g isnt good signal up here, but he says that o2 and 3g are now using the same masts. Also my friend had a phone sent to her from 3g and she didnt like it so sent it back and she got charged for it, like £80 or something.

Does anyone know about this? Is anyone on the 3g network? Do you think i should agree? He is phoning me back soon as I said I would think about it?

Beware cold callers saying that they are from 3. The offer sounds fantastic but if you ask them which company they are with it is often T3, M3 or some other varience. If you accept their offer whilst you have an existing contract then you will end up having to pay for two seperate contracts. Have been contacted by these people several times and know of others with similar experiences.

MadPict
21-Apr-09, 15:58
I would agree - stay clear of any offers made to you offer the phone by way of cold calling.
You could find yourself tied into a very expensive contract.

floyed
21-Apr-09, 17:44
I have had an iphone since christmas and 3G works perfect in Wick and has since i have had it:D

The Angel Of Death
22-Apr-09, 00:17
Might be in wick but there sint any in thurso as far as i know my phone doesnt pick up any untill im or my way out

Nivelo
22-Apr-09, 00:35
I just received an iPhone myself but only have a 2g sim card in it. Does the 3g signal for o2 work well then? Was going to goto inverness to get the sim upgraded but didn't go after i heard there wasnt a 3g signal.
If you have a good 3g connection then i'll be phoning o2 to send me a new sim card.
Thanks

Gizmo
22-Apr-09, 11:06
I have had an iphone since christmas and 3G works perfect in Wick and has since i have had it:D

I'm not calling you a liar, but you are certainly mistaken with what you think is 3G, there is NO 3G coverage in Wick on any of the Networks,

You can check the coverage here http://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/3G-Coverage-Maps.htm

MadPict
22-Apr-09, 11:50
Wick is only shown as having "Standard - Voice/SMS/MMS/ Music, O2 Active" coverage, so I suspect you're not getting a 3G service on your iPhone.

I often use my iPhone in cities with blanket O2 3G cover and have problems getting a fast connection.

Geo
22-Apr-09, 14:48
There's something going on in Wick with O2 and 3G as I've had the 3G icon coming up on my phone recently. First noticed it sitting in the car in the Co-op carpark. Even as far out as Bilbster but it's intermittent out there. Normally the icon only appears when I'm in Inverness.

The Angel Of Death
22-Apr-09, 18:49
Mines changes from 3g to a 3g+ icon when im in range dont use it much so i cant say if its "proper" 3g or not

Geo
24-Apr-09, 10:14
I emailed O2 and asked if they have 3G coverage in Wick and here is their reply:

"Thanks for emailing us to know about the 3G services in your location (Wick, Highland).

You'll be pleased to know that there is 3G coverage in your location () and you should be able to use the 3G services on your mobile phone.

To use the 3G service you would need a 3G mobile phone, 3G SIM card (USIM), Internet and picture message settings and have to be in a 3G-coverage area."

So that explains the 3G icon popping up on my phone.

Gizmo
24-Apr-09, 10:21
I emailed O2 and asked if they have 3G coverage in Wick and here is their reply:

"Thanks for emailing us to know about the 3G services in your location (Wick, Highland).

You'll be pleased to know that there is 3G coverage in your location () and you should be able to use the 3G services on your mobile phone.

To use the 3G service you would need a 3G mobile phone, 3G SIM card (USIM), Internet and picture message settings and have to be in a 3G-coverage area."

So that explains the 3G icon popping up on my phone.

Strange then that their 'coverage map' says there isn't any 3G coverage, just enter a Wick postcode and see.

http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/?Search=Search

Geo
24-Apr-09, 10:45
Maybe they haven't updated it yet. It would be a recent addition. Try under HSDPA on the search. The fact that peoples' phones are showing the 3G synbol would seem to confirm it.

florence
24-Apr-09, 14:10
Most of the services available for 3G work adequately over GPRS which is GSM data running at one tenth the speed of 3G. Things like positioning use GPRS. O2 will give the best signal in Wick town centre as the mast is at the harbour, especially good for fisherman up the river also.

It depends where the mast is. Orange are good in Dunbeath. Where are the towers in Thurso ?