PDA

View Full Version : Papigoe phone box Gone

weeksider
09-Apr-09, 15:15
I see BT have removed the box from corner now
Canna be getting used a lot now for them to do this :(

percy toboggan
09-Apr-09, 16:31
Use it or lose it - a very pertinent adage.

This observation of yours saddens you I presume - given the little symbol which accompanies it.

You obviously do not miss a trick, and keep your wits about you but I'm unsure as to whether you mourn the boxes removal, or the fact it might hardly ever have been used.

riggerboy
09-Apr-09, 17:10
bring back the phone boxes, atleast people cant use them on the train and look at you if you make to much noise like they do with the mobile blinking fones

Iffy
09-Apr-09, 18:00
bring back the phone boxes, atleast people cant use them on the train and look at you if you make to much noise like they do with the mobile blinking fones

Although I don't use trains I COMPLETELY agree with you Riggerboy !!! :~(

LOVE the old fashioned phone box... long may they continue (in certain areas !!??)

Vistravi
09-Apr-09, 18:32
I personally don't see the reason in keeping theses phones. Almost everyone has a mobile phone now which are more useful than these stand alone phone boxes. We don't need them anymore.

dirdyweeker
09-Apr-09, 19:17
I would like one to put in the garden.:D Do BT sell them off?

Stack Rock
09-Apr-09, 20:20
I would like one to put in the garden.:D Do BT sell them off?
I recall passing several old post boxes in Yorkshire in a scrapyard maybe in Thirsk - the old design is the best. I regret they are a relic of the past. The one in Harrow Hill was always being vandalised.
However sorry to see the one I pass every day being removed as it was a landmark.

Alice in Blunderland
09-Apr-09, 20:59
I personally don't see the reason in keeping theses phones. Almost everyone has a mobile phone now which are more useful than these stand alone phone boxes. We don't need them anymore.

It wasnt that long ago that I remember reading a thread on the org about the mobile phone signal being off. This happens on occasion as I know my kids quite often moan about not neing able to text there friends.

It is a sad casualty of progress that you will see the phone boxes disappearing from around the country.

A relative of mine has bought an old red phone box to keep as a reminder along with a red London double decker bus :eek:

bekisman
09-Apr-09, 21:34
dirdyweeker; if you want one, put in K6 Phone Box on ebay, the cheapest one's £800.

dirdyweeker
09-Apr-09, 23:27
dirdyweeker; if you want one, put in K6 Phone Box on ebay, the cheapest one's £800.

I certainly did that and boy did I find my dream one. £3,750! but looks worth every penny. Must give Fran a ring , looks like she is into the money.;)

percy toboggan
10-Apr-09, 10:27

You assume to speak for everybody?

How many octogenarians have mobile 'phones.
What happens if it's a dodgy signal area?
What if you do not want your every move traced?
What if you can't afford a mobile, or do not want one?

Even you conceded it's 'almost' everyone.
What about the rest eh? you just sweep them aside?

An arrogant assumer - you should be a Politician. Perhaps you already are.

Venture
10-Apr-09, 11:39
I certainly did that and boy did I find my dream one. £3,750! but looks worth every penny. Must give Fran a ring , looks like she is into the money.;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RED-TELEPHONE-BOX-KIOSK-K6-PHONE-BOX-BOOTH_W0QQitemZ280282246993QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1207 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

With delivery costs at £1.50 per mile totting up a return journey from Kings Lynn to Wick, it would cost you more for the carriage than the kiosk.[lol]

Tighsonas4
10-Apr-09, 20:06
maybe they could have taken some form of communication to the post office in wick if only for 999 calls
it could be used before someone gets killed trying to cross the road to get to a letter box [off all places to put it ] tony