PDA

View Full Version : The Moon

tjc
09-Apr-09, 12:42
Here`s a couple of shots of the moon. I`ve studied the moon many times through bino`s and small telescopes, I just love looking at it but this is my first real attempt at photographing it.

Half moon - 03-04-09

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3033/moonii.jpg

Last nights nearly full moon - 08-04-09

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/453/bigmooniiii.jpg

Taken with the D90 and a Sigma 170-500mm I borrowed from my bro in-law.

Kenn
09-Apr-09, 13:38
Well done, I've never had any success yet.

Mystical Potato Head
09-Apr-09, 15:06
Great shots tjc although i'm not an advocator of the rule of thirds or of center for full moon shots.
I like to see it in the middle of the frame because thats how i would view it through a scope.
Just my personal preference.
Good detail on the half moon shot and no doubt you've discovered the full moon is a lot more difficult to photograph than it looks.You've done a good job on it though.

tjc
10-Apr-09, 00:26
Well done, I've never had any success yet.

Cheers Liz...

:)

tjc
10-Apr-09, 00:32
Great shots tjc although i'm not an advocator of the rule of thirds or of center for full moon shots.
I like to see it in the middle of the frame because thats how i would view it through a scope.
Just my personal preference.
Good detail on the half moon shot and no doubt you've discovered the full moon is a lot more difficult to photograph than it looks.You've done a good job on it though.

Thanks for your comments MPH.

When processing these I tried various crops but at the time the centered one`s just didn`t quite do it for me but yeh, I see what your saying about that`s how it looks through the scope so might be worth trying a more centered crop again just to see.

Your not wrong about the full moon being quite difficult to capture... tried quite a few shots that were just not working... seemed to be a bit easier to get a half decent shot of the half moon though.

I`ll be trying again when the weather permits so if you have any good moon shot tips then please let me know. :)

Anne x
10-Apr-09, 00:46
lovely Pics so enjoyed them

tjc
10-Apr-09, 01:24
lovely Pics so enjoyed them

Glad you liked them... :)

shazzap
10-Apr-09, 01:29
Good photos

Ricco
10-Apr-09, 08:01
Cracking photos, tjc

North Light
10-Apr-09, 09:25
tjc,

They are pretty impressive.I also like the composition of the first one.

tjc
10-Apr-09, 13:11
Many thanks for the comments shazzap, Ricco and North Light.

Very much appreciated. :)

Mystical Potato Head
10-Apr-09, 17:46
Thanks for your comments MPH.

When processing these I tried various crops but at the time the centered one`s just didn`t quite do it for me but yeh, I see what your saying about that`s how it looks through the scope so might be worth trying a more centered crop again just to see.

Your not wrong about the full moon being quite difficult to capture... tried quite a few shots that were just not working... seemed to be a bit easier to get a half decent shot of the half moon though.

I`ll be trying again when the weather permits so if you have any good moon shot tips then please let me know. :)

Its harder to get detail on a full moon simply because there are no shadows and you have bright areas like the white ray crater tycho and the seas which are dark making it difficult to get exposure times correct,although a full moon looks bright it only reflects 12% of the light it recieves from the sun,good job or every full moon would be like daylight.
As you can see from your half moon shot craters along the terminator really stand out with the shadows being cast on them and crescent moons are even better.
Only advice i would give is dont oversharpen because you'll end up with a white ring around the moon,the more you have to sharpen to get things in focus the thicker the line gets...been there,done it and bought the tee-shirt:lol:and i think darker slightly under exposed shots are preferable(to me anyway)although i always make pin sharp focus a priority,exposures can always be doctored in photoshop afterwards anyway,almost impossible to get a good shot of the moon without having to tinker with it to get it to your liking.
Got a new telescope to use as a manual guide scope on top of my main scope so hope to get some really long accurate exposures,just a shame long summer nights are almost here.Think i must be in the minority who wish for August to hurry up and arrive.

the poacher
10-Apr-09, 21:46
lovely pics of the moon dont often see good ones like that.

tjc
10-Apr-09, 23:16
Its harder to get detail on a full moon simply because there are no shadows and you have bright areas like the white ray crater tycho and the seas which are dark making it difficult to get exposure times correct,although a full moon looks bright it only reflects 12% of the light it recieves from the sun,good job or every full moon would be like daylight.
As you can see from your half moon shot craters along the terminator really stand out with the shadows being cast on them and crescent moons are even better.
Only advice i would give is dont oversharpen because you'll end up with a white ring around the moon,the more you have to sharpen to get things in focus the thicker the line gets...been there,done it and bought the tee-shirt:lol:and i think darker slightly under exposed shots are preferable(to me anyway)although i always make pin sharp focus a priority,exposures can always be doctored in photoshop afterwards anyway,almost impossible to get a good shot of the moon without having to tinker with it to get it to your liking.
Got a new telescope to use as a manual guide scope on top of my main scope so hope to get some really long accurate exposures,just a shame long summer nights are almost here.Think i must be in the minority who wish for August to hurry up and arrive.

Cheers for the info MPH. ;) I`ll keep that in mind for the future. I`ve always been interested in the stars... the night sky has always held a fascination for me.

I`ll be trying the old moon again... and again and many times but I must also give some star trails a go too...

Good news on the new scope. Sounds like youv`e got yourself some serious kit there. :)

tjc
10-Apr-09, 23:18
lovely pics of the moon dont often see good ones like that.

Thanks for your comments. Glad you like them. :)

wicker05
11-Apr-09, 11:47
Lovely shots tjc, I've had numerous attempts at capturing the moon, with little success.

tjc
11-Apr-09, 12:27
Lovely shots tjc, I've had numerous attempts at capturing the moon, with little success.

Cheers wicker05... :)

astroman
12-Apr-09, 22:55
Excellent shots of the Moon tjc.

I'm not particularly good at adjusting images with editing software, but I always find Moon shots benefit from some tweaking - I use the simple Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Shadows/Highlights function in Photoshop Elements. Saying that I don't see anything wrong with the ones you've posted :)

tjc
13-Apr-09, 02:25
Excellent shots of the Moon tjc.

I'm not particularly good at adjusting images with editing software, but I always find Moon shots benefit from some tweaking - I use the simple Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Shadows/Highlights function in Photoshop Elements. Saying that I don't see anything wrong with the ones you've posted :)

Yeh these had a bit of editing too, not too much but a bit of levels, highlights/shadows, a sharpen etc...

Thanks for your comments astroman. :)