PDA

View Full Version : vandals and memorial garden

katarina
08-Apr-09, 17:17
just reading about the vandalization of the memorial garden AGAIN! Have these thugs no respect?

Blondie
08-Apr-09, 17:23
Too many parents don't know or care what their kids are doing at night IMO!

Venture
08-Apr-09, 17:30
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/6420/Malicious_damage_shocks_memorial_garden_stalwarts. html

The above story in today's Courier about the damage to the Memorial Garden was shocking. It has been repeatedly targeted by vandals who seem to take great delight in destroying something so sacred. I feel so sorry for those relatives who put so much time and effort into establishing the garden. To see them today pictured looking at the damage was heartbreaking.

Why has it been targeted so many times and why are the police not able to catch the culprits? I sincerely hope that they do catch whoever is doing this and when they do, that the culprits, as well as being punished by the law, are made to volunteer to raise more money for the garden by being put in stocks in the market square where the public could pay to fire rotten fruit and veg. at them. I for one would be first in the queue.[disgust]

justine
08-Apr-09, 17:34
Thats a disgrace. Teens dont care about the memories of past heros. Maybe a hidden camera set up would atleast help the police find out who the main culprits are.

the poacher
08-Apr-09, 17:37
it is a discrase

kids have no thought now a days

dirdyweeker
08-Apr-09, 18:58
Because no one has been caught doing the damage why are we assuming it must be kids? I know of many older folk involved in criminal damage (from the local paper I might add!)

I do hope though that whoever is responsible for such a heinous crime they are caught red handed and made to help finish off the good work that is being done.

starry
08-Apr-09, 19:02
I would be tempted to sit up all night till I caught someone.
It is horrible this keeps happening.

catran
08-Apr-09, 19:27
I would be tempted to sit up all night till I caught someone.
It is horrible this keeps happening.

me too starry, it is absolutely horrendous. Where are the bobbies? When did anyone on here last see one walking??????The Remembrance Garden was coming together so nicely and it is a shame that some unruly element are set to destroy such a work that has been thoughtfully set out.

Long ago your old faithful bobbies would have a good idea who had done what, they knew everyone on their patch, good and bad. Nowadays, well who knows what goes on. They are needing to get out and about especially on Friday and Saturday nights as it would appear a certain element like to pull down walls.

I walked past walls in Scalesburn suffering from such activities albeit just concrete ,laying all that aside from the amount of beer tins thrown , it would suggest wanton destruction so where are they, the boabies????If is a sad reflection on the town. What are the tourists to think and there are a few that walk out to the North Head.

They cant leave the daffodils at Kirkhill either pure and utter badness. same as the rose bushes. Nothing sacred thats for sure.?.

Gene Hunt
08-Apr-09, 20:23
There was a War memorial that was being constantly spray painted with Graffiti not that far away from me. One of the lads doing this was caught mid spray and asked to stop. He declined and quickly told the guy who had interrupted him to do some fairly unpleasant things to himself. He turned round to find himself face to face with a serving Para, he then thought that it might be a good idea to take a swing at said Para, probably because he had a mate and outnumbered him two to one. What happened next was swift, extremely one sided, very effective and put two young lads in casualty. The memorial has not been touched since.

I wonder why ??

The people who have done the damage to this garden should be dragged down an alley and educated.

bonami
08-Apr-09, 20:47
A total dissgrace. Who ever is responsible must be a fair age judgeing by the damage and I dare say a fair bit older than the children remembered by this garden. Those bairns died in a war they more than likely didnt understand much about. The morons doing this know less and most likely dont even know when it was. If cought they will more than likely get a slap on the wrist and it will be said they had nothing to do and were bored only poor youngsters looking for attention. A certain local historian says the birch should be brought back I agree I dont think many of our local heros would be back for a seconds.

catran
08-Apr-09, 21:19
A total dissgrace. Who ever is responsible must be a fair age judgeing by the damage and I dare say a fair bit older than the children remembered by this garden. Those bairns died in a war they more than likely didnt understand much about. The morons doing this know less and most likely dont even know when it was. If cought they will more than likely get a slap on the wrist and it will be said they had nothing to do and were bored only poor youngsters looking for attention. A certain local historian says the birch should be brought back I agree I dont think many of our local heros would be back for a seconds.
aGREE , yes the birch would do them all a bit of good. Nothing to do and all the rest goodness gracious me in this times with all their wi.s or whatever. No No no strap in school cant hit your bairns or they will phone the helpline what have we come too. Tell you this would not have happened 40 years ago thats for sure with Tiptoes around. Eh? As you say morons without any upbringing or moral standards Sad so very sad.

lynne duncan
08-Apr-09, 22:45
a choice if caught either to help repair and continue to finish the work or if they don't fancy that then old fashioned stocks, with all proceeds going to the memorial gardens.

ocd
08-Apr-09, 22:50
Because no one has been caught doing the damage why are we assuming it must be kids? I know of many older folk involved in criminal damage (from the local paper I might add!)

I do hope though that whoever is responsible for such a heinous crime they are caught red handed and made to help finish off the good work that is being done.

Here, here!!!

I agree the damage is terrible, what is equally terrible is everyone jumping on the band-wagon and assuming it was kids!!!

Venture
08-Apr-09, 22:51
a choice if caught either to help repair and continue to finish the work or if they don't fancy that then old fashioned stocks, with all proceeds going to the memorial gardens.

Great minds think alike Lynne.;)

Rheghead
08-Apr-09, 23:08
just reading about the vandalization of the memorial garden AGAIN! Have these thugs no respect?

I understand your concern.

But I can't help wondering if they think that such nationalistic values are perpetuating the very reasons for the loss of life that you may share a revulsion of.

There isn't anything more pure of thought than a youngie thinking of his/her exterior circumstances, if we accept that then what is the future of us??

I recently went to a commemoration for a school cup in memory of a victoria cross recipient, we can all idly think about how such a 'hero' did what he did ( and it was very brave but the reasons why he did put his self in mortal danger was that it was his social/judgemental upbringing made him the person at that precise moment that made the difference) but ultimately we look upon ourselves for the answer.

That said, if thugs are going around destroying what we hold dear then society is the real teacher and loser.

piratelassie
08-Apr-09, 23:20
What does the future hold, do we have to have cctv cameras everywhere to protect public places...?

golach
08-Apr-09, 23:29
What does the future hold, do we have to have cctv cameras everywhere to protect public places...?
I live in our Capital city, we have cctv camera's every where, does it stop vandalism.....No!!!!. But it helps convict. But then the little darlings get let off, because they come from a broken home, etc etc etc, the excuse run to thousands. Bring back Corporal Punishment, or send them to the colonies [lol]

scorrie
08-Apr-09, 23:59
Here, here!!!

I agree the damage is terrible, what is equally terrible is everyone jumping on the band-wagon and assuming it was kids!!!

I was pretty sure it was kids but decided to stake the place out to be certain.

I saw the culprit, but couldn't capture the act on camera. Luckily I followed her and took a snap of her celebrating, rather cockily, with her daughter shortly after the offence was committed. Aye, just look at them, butter wouldn't melt eh?

Rest assured that I took them down the alley for a good kicking and I hope that wises them up. I think apologies are due to our local kids, who were rescuing kittens from trees and de-mossing old people's lawns when the incidents took place!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/elderly-woman-in-wheelchair-thumb57.jpg

Elenna
09-Apr-09, 00:35
The Black Stairs, Bank Row, and adjacent streets are the main route between the Youth Club, the Blackstars Lounge, and the Camps and other venues in town. The open area in front of the Heritage Centre has seemed for a long time to be a magnet for groups of young people to loiter along their way. It has been a problem for years for residents and businesses in the area, which has 'improved' to only certain nights of the week (as opposed to most nights :roll: especially weekends, summertime, and school holidays) since the Harbour Cafe Shop closed.

I am sorry to say that with regard to the particular area, mostly, yes, it is young people. Often just noisy til well late, which can be put up with to a certain degree if they are just passing through, but still disruptive, and then especially so if they decide to hang around. However, it is too often groups of younger teens out specifically for mischief, or the older ones 18+ been out drinking and out of their heads. No use asking what are they thinking...they aren't thinking at all, they are sozzled and incapable of thought, judgment, or civilised behaviour.

Residents and business owners have been repeatedly vandalised for years, as well as the Heritage Centre, and more recently, the Memorial Garden. Acts will be observed in progress, and the police phoned...and 20-30 minutes later the patrol car appears, long after the culprets are gone. And after several weekends running, making repeated police statements in the early hours can get very draining.

CCTV cameras have been requested for the area for years...some area businesses even offered to help with costs and upkeep...but it all went by the way. There is no regular police presence...the best that is got is extra 'patrols' (ie, a car zooming down the street once or twice the night) for a few nights after an incident. And just to be clear, nobody is blaming the police...we all know they are overstretched, especially at night time...but surely if you are aware that a particular area is an hot-spot, it would make sense to be around more often to either prevent trouble, or catch vandals in the act?

I don't think it likely that any of the damage to the Memorial Garden has been the same people repeating the vandalism, which is itself a rather sad thing, and then, of course, it makes the perpetrators more difficult to catch! But more likely whoever it was last weekend was yet another group tanked up, on their way from A to B in the early hours, spoiling for a fight/showing off to one another/ready to cause alcohol-fueled mayhem, and the new wall was simply there. If it hadn't been that, it would have rather been windows smashed, or wing mirrors kicked off the parked cars.

If everyone here feels strongly about it, I know the people who live and work in the area (as well as those who have worked for so long to make the Memorial Garden come about) would surely appreciate support in the matter...and perhaps help might then be forthcoming, at last!

katarina
09-Apr-09, 15:55
could the residents not take turn about at sitting with a video camera? mind you, they would probably be breaking some law if they did that. A man in the heritage managed to catch some kids in action with his camera behind the centre, when he took the photos to the police, he got his knuckles rapped cos they were under 16!

percy toboggan
09-Apr-09, 16:26
Whatever their ages the kind of people who do this kind of thing are tantamount to the 'enemy within' and should therefore be bracketted alongside terrorist elements for their treachery.

Personally, I think it is high time any sensitivity towards their treatment was given short shrift. A public flogging, followed by swift, but private despatch via lethal injection would rid us so much of societies detritus.

Such elements are waste of space and do not derserve to breathe the good air of Caithness, or indeed of any other county. Until drastic action is taken then these oiks will continue to wave two fingers at the society they besmirch.

rich
09-Apr-09, 16:44
I was shocked by Percy's idea that vandals should be executed by lethal injection.
This is far too soft.
I would recommend disembowling them. (But maybe that's too good for them...)

percy toboggan
09-Apr-09, 17:28
I was shocked by Percy's idea that vandals should be executed by lethal injection.
This is far too soft.
I would recommend disembowling them. (But maybe that's too good for them...)

Someone has to do the job. The method you suggest is far too messy, and would attract clean up costs. No need to rip open their stomachs to discover they are full of pre-excrement...their behaviour confirms it.

TBH
09-Apr-09, 17:29
Someone has to do the job. The method you suggest is far too messy, and would attract clean up costs. No need to rip open their stomachs to discover they are full of pre-excrement...their behaviour confirms it.Are you up to the job then, Percy?

catran
09-Apr-09, 19:49
could the residents not take turn about at sitting with a video camera? mind you, they would probably be breaking some law if they did that. A man in the heritage managed to catch some kids in action with his camera behind the centre, when he took the photos to the police, he got his knuckles rapped cos they were under 16!
That is the big problem Katrina, my car was vandalised and when I reported it to the police they did not even bother to come outside their cosy office to have a look and I was made to feel the criminal, never again. All the questioning, it is mind bogling........and I was only reporting the damage to my car.....................

percy toboggan
10-Apr-09, 10:23
Are you up to the job then, Percy?

I might be looking for a new line of work sometime in the future, but Executioner ? I'm too soft for that. I'd have bad dreams. Thin line emotionally between bad people and the worst of the good, so I'd let one o'them do it on our behalf.

Dog-eared
11-Apr-09, 23:27
Yes, its very sad that vandalism has occurred.
But -
A drystone wall is very vulnerable until the coping is in place and leaving a long unfinished stretch right by the pavement for weeks is asking for it.
Also, a drystone wall should be filled with stone 'hearting', not sand or soil !
Sand holds rainwater, which can freeze ,expand and burst the wall. A well drained wall is frostproof.

oldmarine
11-Apr-09, 23:47
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/6420/Malicious_damage_shocks_memorial_garden_stalwarts. html

The above story in today's Courier about the damage to the Memorial Garden was shocking. It has been repeatedly targeted by vandals who seem to take great delight in destroying something so sacred. I feel so sorry for those relatives who put so much time and effort into establishing the garden. To see them today pictured looking at the damage was heartbreaking.

Why has it been targeted so many times and why are the police not able to catch the culprits? I sincerely hope that they do catch whoever is doing this and when they do, that the culprits, as well as being punished by the law, are made to volunteer to raise more money for the garden by being put in stocks in the market square where the public could pay to fire rotten fruit and veg. at them. I for one would be first in the queue.[disgust]

Being a part of that terrible war, my heart goes out to those who feel victimised by this nonsense.