PDA

View Full Version : Nuisance Phone calls

BRIE
26-Feb-06, 14:52
:mad: Yesterday I had 5 phone calls trying to sell me a mobile phone. Why is it when you say your not interested they dont take this as a no?! I know these people are only doing their job but why dont they log it in the system when you say no so you dont get them ringing over & over again![disgust] How does everyone else feel about these companies? How do you get them to stop annoying you?

unicorn
26-Feb-06, 14:54
Mine was sky trying to sell me insurance for my equipment grrrr after about 15 calls I got narky with them and havn't had a call for weeks!! there is supposed to be a number you can call to get your number blocked from these calls I think but sadly I dont know it although I am sure someone will.

pie2000
26-Feb-06, 15:01
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

I registered with them a while ago and they have all stopped. :)

gleeber
26-Feb-06, 15:02
Better watch the Sky insurance unicorn. My box went duff last year and they wanted around 80 quid for a reconditioned box which was guarenteed for 3 months and after that insurance was required at around the same 80 quid. I told them to cancel my subscription whereupon they offered to go halfers with me. I said no way and then they offered as a gesture of goodwill to give me another box but would need to buy insurance for the next time. I havnt bought insurance and never will.
As for the tele sales people its no problem to thank them for their call and hang up.

BRIE
26-Feb-06, 15:06
I have taken to just saying no thank you and hanging up but on a couple of occassions ive tryed to make a phone call a couple of minutes later to find them still talking to themselves!! LOL:lol:

unicorn
26-Feb-06, 15:08
I got a new dish from them that was only guaranteed for 3 months which I think is a ridiculously short time so if I get insurance it wont be until it is at least a year old!!

krieve
26-Feb-06, 15:49
I hate those calls it makes me mad and they always seem to phone when i am in the middle of something grrrrr. They never take no for an answer i seem to get an average of 5 to 6 a day now i just say sorry i am not interested don't phone back and hang up.

angela5
26-Feb-06, 15:52
I have taken to just saying no thank you and hanging up but on a couple of occassions ive tryed to make a phone call a couple of minutes later to find them still talking to themselves!! LOL:lol:

I think they stay on the line on purpose so that when you want to use your phone you can't..just this morning someone was calling me and after i set down the phone they were still there 15 minutes later..grrr!

EDDIE
26-Feb-06, 16:08
When i get these type of calls i wait to the start there spinning of there sales pitch and i sent the reciever of the phone down on the table and then i walk away and i just let them talk away to themselves to they get bored i do it that way so its not my time there wasting but theres it annoys them as well when they relise whats happened i hope.
I find the whole thing really annoying whats the point in being xdirectory if your getting pestered all the time it defeats the object of being xdirectory

erli
26-Feb-06, 16:23
There is a service from BT called BT privacy, you can get it on their web site, with this you also get free caller display.

BRIE
26-Feb-06, 16:31
There is a service from BT called BT privacy, you can get it on their web site, with this you also get free caller display.

You cant get it if your not a bt customer though.You have to pay for the service to i think.

gleeber
26-Feb-06, 16:36
I just got a call from 01642734000 and when I answered they hung up. I phoned the number back and it was not recognised as a valid number. Anyone any ideas about this one?

angela5
26-Feb-06, 16:42
I just got a call from 01642734000 and when I answered they hung up. I phoned the number back and it was not recognised as a valid number. Anyone any ideas about this one?

That's happened to me..:confused: also i've got all witheld calls barred..but sometimes i still get hangers uppers..and the number has been witheld:confused: ..i've complained to bt on a number of occassions..no joy!

angela5
26-Feb-06, 16:43
Is there anyone with a good service provider other than bt? i've been thinking for a while now i'm going to change..

golach
26-Feb-06, 17:59
as said earlier in this thread, register here its free and stops junk mail also, and it does work

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Bingobabe
26-Feb-06, 18:20
I used to get alot of annoying phone calls recently ive tooken to saying to them sorry im not interested but if you can call back in the next ten years ill have time to speak to you then i havent had many phone calls since heheheheheheheheh[lol] [lol]

Fran
26-Feb-06, 18:40
Is there anyone with a good service provider other than bt? i've been thinking for a while now i'm going to change..

the post office now do phone lines and rental and booklets about it are in the post office.

Fran
26-Feb-06, 18:45
:mad: Yesterday I had 5 phone calls trying to sell me a mobile phone. Why is it when you say your not interested they dont take this as a no?! I know these people are only doing their job but why dont they log it in the system when you say no so you dont get them ringing over & over again![disgust] How does everyone else feel about these companies? How do you get them to stop annoying you?

despite phoning BT etc several times and employing the use of a solicitor, i have just paid over £100 to BT for calls I didnt make to an american quiz show.some of the calls were at 2am, some were made on my daughters wedding day and although i could therefore prove I was not at home, they still made me pay. Even though you were not at home, BT say that someone must have used your phone and you must pay. No one else would have used my phone, its very unfair but BT win every time, or they will cut you off.

sassylass
26-Feb-06, 19:03

I always say "please remove my name and number from your list" and the number of calls has dropped dramatically.

Ann
26-Feb-06, 19:23
I have also registered with TPS, MPS etc., per the link mentioned in above posts and it certainly eliminates most of these sales ploys. It takes a few weeks to kick in but you will see a remarkable difference.

There is no need to put up with them if you are not at all interested; just hang up.

Ann

Saveman
26-Feb-06, 19:28
I tend to say very clearly and slowly "thank you, but I'm not interested, goodbye" then hang up.

Fluff
26-Feb-06, 19:39
but when someone if phoning for a genuine reason, and people just say 'no thanks' and hang up is very frustrartin. same with not accepting with held numbers.
at work when i try to call someone about say their glasses or appointment and unable to get through, it defeats the purpose of them giving us their number.

i once worked for a large mail order wine club, and had to call a customer about an order she had placed. as soon as i said where i was calling from she hung up. it took my manager 6 calls before she would stop hanging up. sometimes, just listen for a sec to find out why they are calling, it cou.d be for a reason!!

Saveman
26-Feb-06, 19:41
but when someone if phoning for a genuine reason, and people just say 'no thanks' and hang up is very frustrartin. same with not accepting with held numbers.
at work when i try to call someone about say their glasses or appointment and unable to get through, it defeats the purpose of them giving us their number.

i once worked for a large mail order wine club, and had to call a customer about an order she had placed. as soon as i said where i was calling from she hung up. it took my manager 6 calls before she would stop hanging up. sometimes, just listen for a sec to find out why they are calling, it cou.d be for a reason!!

Obviously it's best to establish what they're ringing for before carrying out my suggestion, thank you fluff. :)

Bill Fernie
26-Feb-06, 20:40
We have placed a few links to useful sites and some information to think about regarding phones and faxes. See http://www.caithness.org/links/telephones.htm

We registered a while a back with TPS and it works pretty well although a few rogue companies ignore it.

There are some pretty good web sites with advice on how to fight back if you can be bothered. Wasting time of people on the phone is often the tactic suggested but it is your time as well.

If you register and still get calls begin taking notes of who, and when etc. Ask for their name, supervisor etc. They usually hang up as the are on sales targets and do not want to lose time.

Once again I will advise what my mother advised me all of my young life and I still apply to this day "Never buy anything from anyone who calls at your door"

I have updated this years ago to "Never buy anything unsolicited at the door, by phone, by fax, by email" That ensures you do not get caught out - most of the time. If you are approached you do not have time to work out and consdier if what is being offered is truly worth while or good value. No matter how good it sounds if you say NO at least you know you cannot be hoodwinked or pay over the odds for something that may be cheaper elsewhere once you have time to consider.

If you know who you are dealing with then it is different. A call from your a company you already deal with or is known to you may be entirely different as you have built up some trust. Not so with some anonymous calll centre trying to get leads for sales people or to sell tyou something you had never thought of earlier.

Cynical - you bet. And try to educate your family to say NO and save them lots of grief in the future.

Mother knew best.

badger
26-Feb-06, 20:45
I've found TPS works but before I had I had a spate of calls from a company selling kitchens (can't remember the name now) so one day I expressed interest. They then had someone senior call back and I kept him talking for ages before finally saying I didn't want it. They never called again. I used to love that ad. on TV where the woman puts the phone down, turns up her radio, makes a cup of tea and then picks up the phone again saying "your call is important to me". I'd love to do that.

Bobinovich
27-Feb-06, 00:07
I've found TPS works but before I had I had a spate of calls from a company selling kitchens (can't remember the name now) so one day I expressed interest. They then had someone senior call back and I kept him talking for ages before finally saying I didn't want it. They never called again. I used to love that ad. on TV where the woman puts the phone down, turns up her radio, makes a cup of tea and then picks up the phone again saying "your call is important to me". I'd love to do that.

Sounds like Space Kitchens - we had a similar call and were genuinely planning a new kitchen so allowed them to visit. We'd already decided on a budget and they were WAY OTT. It was however a nightmare trying to get them out of the house - 11.30 to 12.00 'cos they were desparate to try and get the sale. Usual kind of pitch - they spend ages showing you the 'quality' of hte merchandise, then work out their 'best price' and when you say it's too much, they phone the boss who 'grudgingly' lowers the price...yada yada!

Similar problems with Weatherseal windows so we were not surprised to find out that they're part of the same group of companies.

ice box
27-Feb-06, 00:10
I get them i just say sorry they arent in just now bye

abalone
27-Feb-06, 04:48
[quote=gleeber]I just got a call from 01642734000 and when I answered they hung up. I phoned the number back and it was not recognised as a valid number. Anyone any ideas about this one?[/quote

Gleeber,if it's any use,01642 is the dialling code for middlesbrough.

JAWS
27-Feb-06, 05:05
A very loud high pitched whistle kept by the phone is not a bad idea. Another method is put the mouth-piece next to a VERY LOUD radio, preferably one where the full volume comes on with the on/off switch.

Give no indication that you are about to do either.

callum
27-Feb-06, 05:44
the best one yet is when i had a second floor flat and some glazing co was trying to sell me concervatory extensions i just let them ramble on then told them they must have the wrong number.never heard from them again

jay
27-Feb-06, 07:13
Better watch the Sky insurance unicorn. My box went duff last year and they wanted around 80 quid for a reconditioned box which was guarenteed for 3 months and after that insurance was required at around the same 80 quid. I told them to cancel my subscription whereupon they offered to go halfers with me. I said no way and then they offered as a gesture of goodwill to give me another box but would need to buy insurance for the next time. I havnt bought insurance and never will.
As for the tele sales people its no problem to thank them for their call and hang up.

we are on our third sky+ box since september, I have refused to buy insurance and am questioning their right to supply us with reconditioned goods which are obviously not fit for the purpose for which they are intended. The third box (which we had installed less than 2 weeks ago) is starting to play up already. They state that because the box was supplied as a free of charge replacement it carries no guarantee - surely this breaches basic consumer rights? any advise anyone?

lassieinfife
27-Feb-06, 07:34
In spite of being on the TPS list i am still plagued by callers wishing to sell me mobile phones... in spite of asking them to temove me from their lists having gone thru all the "sorry not interested" bits, I used to just leave them talking to themselves. I now just slam the phone down .......... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BRIE
27-Feb-06, 10:13
despite phoning BT etc several times and employing the use of a solicitor, i have just paid over £100 to BT for calls I didnt make to an american quiz show.some of the calls were at 2am, some were made on my daughters wedding day and although i could therefore prove I was not at home, they still made me pay. Even though you were not at home, BT say that someone must have used your phone and you must pay. No one else would have used my phone, its very unfair but BT win every time, or they will cut you off.

Fran check your computer I had this problem too except it was a company in spain who had put a trojan on my computer that linked to their phone at peak rate BT gave me a number to ring & they sorted it all out for me.the trojan was attached to a kids games site!

badger
27-Feb-06, 12:06
we are on our third sky+ box since september, I have refused to buy insurance and am questioning their right to supply us with reconditioned goods which are obviously not fit for the purpose for which they are intended. The third box (which we had installed less than 2 weeks ago) is starting to play up already. They state that because the box was supplied as a free of charge replacement it carries no guarantee - surely this breaches basic consumer rights? any advise anyone?

Like you I never buy insurance as it's usually a complete rip-off. You are protected by the Sale of Goods Act which states that goods bought, whether new or secondhand, must be fit for purpose. In England this is for 6 years but I have a feeling when I researched this last time that for some reason in Scotland it was shorter - 5 maybe. Whatever, you are protected and it might be worth quoting the Act. See http://www.moneymatterstome.co.uk/8-Consumer-rights-responsibilities/Sub1/ButingGoods-SaleOfGoodsAct.htm

Fight as long as you have the energy - good luck.

krieve
27-Feb-06, 12:30
Another thing i do is hang up when they are in mid conversation lol