PDA

View Full Version : Dog incontinence

JWM
07-Apr-09, 19:39
hi just had my dog at the vets for his annual mot and jabs and explained again some of the problems I've been having with him. This time i got an actual answer instead of behavioural they think he is starting with a weak bladder. I have been given drops to give him to see if things improve. Aparently this is unusual for a male tends to affect female more. He does drink too much either just adequate fluid intake for a wee dog. Does anyone else suffer from this any helpful advice would be gratefully received.

majic
07-Apr-09, 19:56
when we got our two collies (brother and sister) we need to get one done so on the vets recomendation we had the girl done a short time after we found when she got up her side was wet so we had to put her on some stuff we got from the vet to stop her leeking we found out after (he did not tell us )it can happen when they are done before there first season £25 per month it has cost us from puppy to 13 years old if only they had given us the info (it was not the vet up here)

binbob
07-Apr-09, 20:06
when we got our two collies (brother and sister) we need to get one done so on the vets recomendation we had the girl done a short time after we found when she got up her side was wet so we had to put her on some stuff we got from the vet to stop her leeking we found out after (he did not tell us )it can happen when they are done before there first season £25 per month it has cost us from puppy to 13 years old if only they had given us the info (it was not the vet up here)

yes..there is a lot the vets [most of them] do not tell us,especially if it means more money for them.it is a common problem,usually in older dogs.

teenybash
07-Apr-09, 20:31
hi just had my dog at the vets for his annual mot and jabs and explained again some of the problems I've been having with him. This time i got an actual answer instead of behavioural they think he is starting with a weak bladder. I have been given drops to give him to see if things improve. Aparently this is unusual for a male tends to affect female more. He does drink too much either just adequate fluid intake for a wee dog. Does anyone else suffer from this any helpful advice would be gratefully received.

I had a dog who would leak urine. He was a neutered male and this can be quite common if they have been 'done.' If the drops don't work it could be a urine infection and the vet will be able to do a simple test and if it's positive will give you antibiotics that would clear it up.
It could be something as simple as him drinking too much water and overloading his bladder resulting in him dribbling. I will check for you and see if I can find out a bit of info on what can help as I am sure I have heard of something..................I will get back to you.

JWM
07-Apr-09, 20:54
thanks guys, he doesnt seem to drink too much when we had peeing problems around 8 month ago the vets said it was behavioural, he had a urine test done then and was clear. He's really quite a clean dog not keen to be dirty but has been peeing in his bed and lying in it. this is what makes the vet think its weak bladder. He's only 4 he got dressed when he was around 2 but problems have only been happening since around 8 months.

It all started quite early on in my pregnancy and everyone thought it was just a jelousy thing due to that as its the only thing in his life that had changed. Poor wee man getting in trouble for something that wasnt his fault.

JWM
07-Apr-09, 20:58
a question after we had the first lot of peeing is when we got hamish his cage, he gets locked in it at nightime and when we have to go out and leave him. Should I maybe start leaving the gate open should be need a pee or not? Once put in cage he was dry for a few months the peeing in his bed is quite a recent thing!

My kitchen was smelling worse than bloody kennels. Smelt like a hamsters hut!!! Thank goodness I dont get many visitors ha ha:lol:

Blondie
07-Apr-09, 21:08
Not sure if this is any help but when we first got our dog he slept in the utility room. We never had a night when he didnt do something on the floor! Then he took a bug and wasn't well, I took him through to the bedroom so I could keep an eye on him and from that night on he never did anything through the night at all.

He never did get put back to the utility room :lol:

Maybe worth leaving the cage open to see how he gets on.

binbob
07-Apr-09, 21:11
Not sure if this is any help but when we first got our dog he slept in the utility room. We never had a night when he didnt do something on the floor! Then he took a bug and wasn't well, I took him through to the bedroom so I could keep an eye on him and from that night on he never did anything through the night at all.

He never did get put back to the utility room :lol:

heard that many times...all of mine sleep in my room.lottie sleeps in big sitting room on her own..LONG STORY!!!;)

JWM
07-Apr-09, 21:20
hubby would have a MI if he came home to find him in the bedroom. we moved house around 3 years ago and he was anxious about being in the new kitchen so slept with the kitchen door open so he had the lobby and didnt feel locked in but I couldnt have him upstairs think that'd be cause for divorce. JWM isnt quite as attached as me I'm the big softie, I've spoilt him. But their there to spoil really arent they.

Sorry bedroom not an option and dont really want to give into him too much as he is a dog that likes to think he can get the upper hand and be top dog you have to stay quite hard on him he's a thrawn little boy at times!!!

teenybash
07-Apr-09, 21:34
JWM...........here is what you could try with your doggy friend and if there was even a hint of a UTI would clear it up within days.....1Tablespoon cider apple vinegar and 2 Tablespoons live yoghurt mixed in his favourite food............hopefully this will stop the leak.:D

teenybash
07-Apr-09, 21:55
a question after we had the first lot of peeing is when we got hamish his cage, he gets locked in it at nightime and when we have to go out and leave him. Should I maybe start leaving the gate open should be need a pee or not? Once put in cage he was dry for a few months the peeing in his bed is quite a recent thing!

My kitchen was smelling worse than bloody kennels. Smelt like a hamsters hut!!! Thank goodness I dont get many visitors ha ha:lol:

Ah the joys of owning a dog.....I know them well. Something you could try if he is widdling his bed........use an incontinance pad and when in his cage and lying in his bed if he leaks, he won't be soggy or smelly. just like a baby nappy it will draw moisture away.
I had a collie who was ill for a while and couldn't walk for a few weeks.....I bought the cheapest disposable nappies I could find, cut off the waist band and snipped the elastic round the legs, flattened them out and taped them to the size needed. Whille he was lying in his bed, all the urine soaked into the gel and he was dry and comfy.:)