PDA

View Full Version : BT phones 1471 free....be careful of 1471(3)

brokencross
26-Feb-06, 10:45
I find the free BT 1471 service good in as much that you can check who your last phone call was from, can be a pain though 'cos you feel that you should phone that number back "just in case it was an important call".

Anyway just a little warning about pressing the 3 after 1471 to "return the call"... BT now charge a fixed rate 6p for the 14713 service and you get charged that 6p even if your return call is not connected.

RandomHero
26-Feb-06, 19:20
Actually, it's been like that for a long time. I cannot tell you the amount of calls I used to get complaining about this charge. "They get money out of you anyway they can" they used to say. BUT, if you read your BT update booklet, rather than just chucking it in the bin, or even JUST LISTEN to the full automated message before just hammering 3, you'll hear the voice say there is a charge for this service.

Saveman
26-Feb-06, 19:39
Yes, its best to just hang up then type in the number that it's just told you, especially if you've got a deal with another service provider.

Bill Fernie
26-Feb-06, 20:25
I have always assumed 1471 was to make more profits of the telphone companies. By encouraging folk to see who had called them they added to the number of calls made - whether they are really needed or not.

What I cannot understand is why so many people ring back numbers they have no idea who has called - curiousity just gets you a bigger phone bill.

I make a lot of phone calls and inveitably some do not reach the person as they are out or busy. Some time later a small number call back to find out who was calling them. ring ring - I pick up the phone - "You phoned earlier today? "Did I? what was it about? who Are You I ask. so and so - I have no idea without asking lots of questions only to find the reason I phoned has now passed and often it is too late for whatever it was. Wasted calls and time all round but money for the phone company.

I long ago stopped phoning back after checking 1471 unless I know the number called was member of the family or a number I am expecting a call from.

If the call was important enough a message would be left and 1571 is more useful than 1471.

So my advice is don't worry too much about who phoned. If it was important they will phone back and if not you will never hear from them again - until next time. If they want information from you then why spend your money phoning them back - let them phone you.

Curiousity killed the cat but 1471 kills your bank balance.

Niall Fernie
26-Feb-06, 20:31
As caller ID is now free with BT, its pretty cheap to get a phone that displays the numbers or to get a box that does the same.

I would be lost without it...

A speakerphone is fun for the sales reps, a bit like the radio one prank calls, how long can you get a sales rep to talk to your tv? I finally found a use for the parliament channel :)