PDA

View Full Version : Would you save a stranger?

Julia
07-Apr-09, 16:48
I've been meaning to start a thread on this topic since watching the Channel 4 documentary 'Would you save a stranger?'

The documentary detailed five cases from the viewpoint of both the victims and witnesses of the assaults.

Picture the scenario, a 12 year old boy rushes onto a bus to escape a crowd of older teenagers who also manage to board the bus, the bus is crowded, the teenagers proceed to attack the boy hitting him with sticks and belts, it's probably ten against one. Nobody on the bus makes a move to help or protect the boy or to stop the teenagers, after a couple of minutes the bus driver stops the bus and orders them off, the boy runs away hotly pursued by his attackers.

What would you have done?

lynne duncan
07-Apr-09, 16:57
i would have protected the bairn, even if it meant taking a beating, because i would hate to think that that kid was mine and nobody helped him

joxville
07-Apr-09, 16:59
I would step in-it could so easily be my 12yr old son.

honey
07-Apr-09, 17:00
i think i would have to do something, i couldnt just sit by and watch that

Kodiak
07-Apr-09, 17:02
This like all questions of this ilk must surely be answered with :-

I have no idea!!!

As unless you are in that particular situation no one can say what they would do. You can not even speculate as there are so many variables that would change each and every situation.

I am sure everyone would love to say that they would like to do something positive but this is not always possible.

Iffy
07-Apr-09, 17:03
I would have left the bus alongside the boy being bullied even though it would have made me late for my job !!!

When I caught up with the perpetrators, I either would have held them till I managed to contact the police or.... I'm sorry but I would have done something to them that I would probably have been fined for !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene Hunt
07-Apr-09, 17:05
I would step in, anyone who wouldnt needs to have a good long look at themselves. Even though you are more than likely to end up being questioned and or charged yourself I would rather that than stand by and watch someone being intimidated or physically assaulted. That would be the bigger crime in my book.

starry
07-Apr-09, 17:05
I would have phoned the police and tried to get the boy away from them.
I would also have tried to stop him leaving the bus.

justine
07-Apr-09, 17:40
Its easy to say yes and no but unless the situation happened it hard to tell what you would do. By nature i would jump in and help the one who is getting the hassle, infact i would probably jump in if it was someone i disliked aswell as violence is something that i dont agree with, but then you think of the poor guys that have died helping strangers, it is off putting to think that you may do a good turn just to end up dying yourself..

hard one to really answer.

teenybash
07-Apr-09, 17:42
I certainly would have stepped to defend the youngster.....no way could I watch an attack like this and do nothing......pity help the one that I would have took first............

Julia
07-Apr-09, 17:43
I too would have done whatever it took to help the lad out. The sad thing is that when this story was recounted during the program nobody knew what ultimately happened to the boy.

The documentary also stated that 1 in 3 Brits would not help a stranger in trouble and happily admit it. [disgust]

Bloo
07-Apr-09, 18:33
I would have no doubts in stepping in at all. Regardless of anything the child may have done, thats not on. Ten to one, no way. Not going to sit back and think "Who's winning?" going to step in and stop it. What an idiotic bus driver. And the nerve of people just sitting there..... [evil]

Bazeye
07-Apr-09, 18:42
Wonder why the driver just didnt drive straighto the Police station?

Gronnuck
07-Apr-09, 18:52
Before intervening you should be aware that should you touch, hold or hit any of the boy's attackers the NewLiebour PC police will probably arrest YOU and charge you with assault! It's happened before and will happen again.

You should also be aware that any number of attackers could turn on you and do YOU serious damage. Then the 'elf and safety people will lecture you for doing a proper risk assessment.

It's might appear to be a simple question but there is no simple answer.

wifie
07-Apr-09, 21:36
I too would have done whatever it took to help the lad out. The sad thing is that when this story was recounted during the program nobody knew what ultimately happened to the boy.

The documentary also stated that 1 in 3 Brits would not help a stranger in trouble and happily admit it. [disgust]

How sad Julia! I was only able to watch the start of this programme and caught that particular incident. I would like to think I would step in to help someone in danger but as has been mentioned on here there are many variables. But I have to say with mobile phone technology these days why did no-one call 999?

katarina
07-Apr-09, 21:45
I would have left the bus alongside the boy being bullied even though it would have made me late for my job !!!

When I caught up with the perpetrators, I either would have held them till I managed to contact the police or.... I'm sorry but I would have done something to them that I would probably have been fined for !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure i would have stepped in, but , and here's the thought, what if that earned you a knife in the ribs? I'm sure the bus driver would have had a mobile, could he not have contacted the police?

webmannie
07-Apr-09, 21:50
Would it make a difference to your decision to 'step in' if this happened somewhere you were unfamiliar with?

TBH
07-Apr-09, 21:56
Its easy to say yes and no but unless the situation happened it hard to tell what you would do. By nature i would jump in and help the one who is getting the hassle, infact i would probably jump in if it was someone i disliked aswell as violence is something that i dont agree with, but then you think of the poor guys that have died helping strangers, it is off putting to think that you may do a good turn just to end up dying yourself..

hard one to really answer.This is probably a better scenario as we would all help a stranger getting beat upon, if possible, but, if as you say, it was someone we disliked then would we be so quick to help?

Rheghead
07-Apr-09, 22:00
Even the bravest armchair hero can be rooted to his seat by the shock of a totally unexpected event. We can all rationalise what is the right thing to do in the comfort of our own homes.

honey
08-Apr-09, 10:53
slightly different scenario, but on staurday, i was at the bustop with my sons (youngest safely strapped into his buggy BTW, olderst 9 and sensible)

accross the road, a young boy was alone in a stationary car that then started to move. it was instinct to make sure my 2 was safe, then to cross the road to see of the boy needed help.

ok, he was a wee smarty releasing the handbreak and thinking it was funny, but it could have been someone in trouble.

squidge
08-Apr-09, 11:39
I would and have done in the past stepped in to hep someone being knocked about. I watched the programme too and I could not believe that a bus full of adults sat there and didnt do ANYTHING - not a shout or anything to stop either the attack on the boy already mentioned or the one on the girl who was on later.

The first incident discussed how after the boy had left the bus people looked at each other and seemed to "forgive" each other for their lack of action. In my experience if one person opens their mouths or does something in a contained situation like that then others will follow - its a shame that they didnt think about that first.

katarina
08-Apr-09, 13:54
what I can't understand is - that on a bus load of people, most of whom would possess mobiles, why did someone not at the very least phone the police? They could have then met the bus when the driver stopped to let them out. The whole episode is disgusting.

jings00
08-Apr-09, 14:06
i would have waded in...

Connor.
08-Apr-09, 15:11
I to watched this documentary. Near enough all the events happened around the London area. Where there is plenty of stabbings and shootings and kids are getting hold of these weapons and the kids are getting younger and younger - one such case was an 8 year old boy who took in a knife to school to attack another near yorkshire i believe it was - and these people know it and would prefer to ignore it to avoid being in trouble themselves. City-dwellers are less likely to help anyone mainly because they're looking out for themselves. More remote places or even places with a lower population which may be close knit, look out for others and it's a shame because if everyone shared the same mentality then alot of people now would not have been injured/killed.

the poacher
08-Apr-09, 16:02
i would have stepped in to dont think i could have just sat there and watched a kid get beaten up esecialy if the odd were no fare

if it was one on one i might of thought twice

golach
08-Apr-09, 19:45
I am sorry, I think the original question is a Catch 22 situation, there is no perfect answer, jump in and help the laddie, and get a kicking yourself (as has happened many times recently with fatal consequences) or sit still and live.
I will pose another older similar question. If your OH and your Mother fell in the harbour at Scrabster or Wick at the same time........which one would you attempt to save first? And just say, you can only have time to save one.

Alice in Blunderland
08-Apr-09, 19:55
I am sorry, I think the original question is a Catch 22 situation, there is no perfect answer, jump in and help the laddie, and get a kicking yourself (as has happened many times recently with fatal consequences) or sit still and live.
I will pose another older similar question. If your OH and your Mother fell in the harbour at Scrabster or Wick at the same time........which one would you attempt to save first? And just say, you can only have time to save one.

Easy one for me ...........mother.

She is frail and older so would need to be pulled out first. OH is younger and fitter ...and he can swim.;)

the poacher
08-Apr-09, 19:59
thats an easy one for me too

neither lol :lol:

only joking

realy i dont know!

gleeber
08-Apr-09, 20:16
The proof of the pudding is only in the eating.
http://www.spring.org.uk/2007/10/why-we-dont-help-others-bystander.php

gleeber
08-Apr-09, 21:17

I remember hearing that in the tea shed when i was a wee loon serving my time. The guy was from the same generation as yourself Golach. He said he would save his mother because you can get another wife but never another mother. :eek:

the poacher
08-Apr-09, 21:19
I remember hearing that in the tea shed when i was a wee loon serving my time. The guy was from the same generation as yourself Golach. He said he would save his mother because you can get another wife but never another mother. :eek:

thats very true

i realy like that one

Rheghead
08-Apr-09, 21:25

Good question, the correct answer is probably counter intuitive like when you are advised by airline staff in the event of when air masks come down you are told to put a mask on yourself rather than your baby/child.

I've worked a major part of my life in the shipbuilding industry and we are told not to go into confined spaces to rescue anyone without breathing apparatus or full air extraction, we are told to watch someone die if we haven't got anything like that. Do I think about my own family or the life of a stranger?

golach
08-Apr-09, 21:33
That was my initial reaction Gleeber.......but not in earshot on my wife [lol]

lynne duncan
08-Apr-09, 22:40
did that not happem in dounreay once where someone entered a pit to rescue someone and they became overcome with fumes, so it was drummed into us, but it sure is a hard one to stand back from when you know the outcome is probably going to become fatal.

with the majority of us saying to the initial ? that we would step in to help is that because we still have a sense of community spirit about us compared with the city attitude of it is nothing to do with me/ fear of retribution?