PDA

View Full Version : HD Ready Digital LCD TV

brokencross
07-Apr-09, 09:49
I am about to buy an HD Ready Digital LCD TV.

We have decided on the screen size 32" (80cm) and are prepare to spend between £300-£400 ish.

That is where I get a bit lost with the technology and numbers. Can some nice Orger soul out there tell me a good brand; what contrast, resolution, pixel numbers are good.
Also any other "must have" features that they can suggest we try and get on the set. We don't really want a load of all singing, all dancing add-ons we will never use.

Thank you

northener
07-Apr-09, 10:07

We have decided on the screen size 32" (80cm) and are prepare to spend between £300-£400 ish.

That is where I get a bit lost with the technology and numbers. Can some nice Orger soul out there tell me a good brand; what contrast, resolution, pixel numbers are good.
Also any other "must have" features that they can suggest we try and get on the set. We don't really want a load of all singing, all dancing add-ons we will never use.

Thank you

Can't help you with quality - but argos have a 32" flatscreen with freeview for £280. In the showroom last sunday.

The Angel Of Death
07-Apr-09, 12:41
Resolution will be standard for the tv hd ready will be 1366 x 768 and 1920 x 1080 for full hd what your looking for is high contrast ratio the tv i bought was from an ebay shop and i got a 37" for £440 delivered (toshiba)

The shop was AV World (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/av-world/) was a pleasure to deal with i ordered a tv from them and they got a newer model in for the same price and let me change it without any problems

I was going to get a 32" but plumped for the bigger 37" one and i wasnt dissapointed at the mo i like the look of the Toshiba 40XV551 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOSHIBA-40XV551-40-LCD-HD-Ready-Digital-TV_W0QQitemZ220383088618QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audi oTVElectronics_Video_Televisions?hash=item22038308 8618&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318) on there site but it might be a bit out of your price range of £400 ish and its bigger as well at 40"

They do get new stock in all the time and can give you a better idea if you phone them direct

ShelleyCowie
07-Apr-09, 12:58
I am wanting a 50" Samsung tv! the one that was in the advert that has like the red shimmer around it. Thats the one im aiming for!

But that site looks good! :D

telfordstar
07-Apr-09, 13:26
I am wanting a 50" Samsung tv! the one that was in the advert that has like the red shimmer around it. Thats the one im aiming for!

But that site looks good! :D

wow me to. I have a samsung lcd and cant fault it.

Gene Hunt
07-Apr-09, 16:29

Thank you

I bought a Sony LCD KDL40V4000 and can highly recommend Sony as a good buy. Freeview is built in. Picture is excellent for both Blu-Ray and Standard Definition. Don't put too much store on things like contrast ratio etc, each brand has its strengths and weaknesses. Sony LCD's weak points are the TV Speakers for instance. If you are planning to get a Blu Ray player for instance it would be a good plan to look for a 1080p set.

The KDL32V4000 might be a good buy for you .. http://www.reevoo.com/reviews/mpn/sony/kdl32v400

A lot of good advice on the best models and deals in this thread on AV Forums .. http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-tv-should-i-buy/

Whitewater
07-Apr-09, 18:46
I can also recommend Sony, I now have a smaller 20" TV in the kichen and a larger screen in the sitting room. Panasonic is also an excellent make, perhaps slightly cheeper than Sony. I got both my TVs on line at greatly reduced prices and not long to wait for delivery either.

brokencross
08-Apr-09, 08:28
Thanks for all those pointers.