PDA

View Full Version : They're at it again!

Buttercup
06-Apr-09, 19:27
It's only 5 months since they last pestered us and now they're back! The Red Cross are at it again and as persistent as ever. Had a bloke here today and he was very keen to sign me up "as ALL my neighbours had signed to give Direct debts" :roll: Why can't they accept it the first time you say No? [mad]
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=60951&highlight=cross

ShelleyCowie
06-Apr-09, 19:34
I had a woman at my door today saying the same thing. I said no, in a nice manner. And she continued to say that i am saying no to helping people. Sorry but charity begins at home for me right now. It took me 15 minutes and saying that i was a single mum (lie, im sorry) to get her to give in.

I saw her just afterwards when i was walking back from somewhere and she gave me the most horrible look ever.

Not that i dont donate to charities, i just dont have the money to give away on a permanent basis.

She also said "it wont break the bank" and "you live in the middle of nowhere, what if you need our help"

Needless to say i was not very happy with the way she was putting things.

htwood
06-Apr-09, 19:43
Wow, what she said is emotional blackmail. shocking really. Can you let the local Red Cross know what a bully she is?
When someone comes to my door, I just say "I donate online" and close the door right away, I never stand there with the heat blowin out for 15 mins.

ABC
06-Apr-09, 19:56
We had a lady at the door today also, she told me it was illegal for me to give her £2 in her tin today as she maybe "untrustworthy" but wanted me to give her my bank details :eek:. What will happen in Red Cross Week in May but somebody will come collecting at all our doors with a tin - so is the illegal to?

Echick1
06-Apr-09, 20:11
I had a guy at my door this afternoon and he was pushing me to sign up 2 he also said that over 7 people in my street had signed up ( i lied ) saying i was single mum to as he was very pushy.i think it is just a con..:mad:

alex
06-Apr-09, 20:14
Wow, I thought this sort of thing had been banned - there was a big hooha when I was last in the UK (in London) about commission only sales people working for charities.

I cannot believe how supposedly reputable charities can still be resorting to this sort of recruiting of donors. It is highly disreputable and a disgrace to an organisation such as the Red Cross that they would use this sort of technique.

Next time this lady or one of her colleagues knocks on your door, be sure to ask who is paying her and ask for details. Check her licence and credentials. Fill in the form very slowly and make lots of mistakes, especially with your bank account and address. Basically delay her and ruin her day...

It was bad enough with pens and pennies through the post but at least they were useful!

Giving to charity, I believe, is important and useful, but it is up to every individual to choose who and where they give their hard earned money. I am sure ther are plenty of local good causes that you know well about that need your support and will be grateful for it and, if you need to give overseas or nationally it will be a reasoned decision made by yourself from information received through far more reliable means than a door-to-door sales team.

OOH I ranted [lol]

Mystical Potato Head
06-Apr-09, 20:17
I had a woman at my door today saying the same thing. I said no, in a nice manner. And she continued to say that i am saying no to helping people. Sorry but charity begins at home for me right now. It took me 15 minutes and saying that i was a single mum (lie, im sorry) to get her to give in.

I saw her just afterwards when i was walking back from somewhere and she gave me the most horrible look ever.

Not that i dont donate to charities, i just dont have the money to give away on a permanent basis.

She also said "it wont break the bank" and "you live in the middle of nowhere, what if you need our help"

The next time she wont take no for an answer tell her you'll call the police and have her charged with harassment(or boot her backside down the street).They have no bloody right to argue with you on your own doorstep and as for giving you a dirty look.......she probably doesn't open her door if she knows there's collectors in the street.

Would love her to try that kinda attitude on my doorstep.

ShelleyCowie
06-Apr-09, 20:20
I just cant believe i had to resort to lying saying i was a single mum! I felt awful about lying but did not feel awful about saying no! I have never had someone so pushy like that! When people come to the door with a tin i always give money. If i see a tin in a shop i put my change in it.

I just still cant get over how rude she was! I think i might fish around online and see if there is someway to get in contact with someone about it!

Mystical Potato Head
06-Apr-09, 20:26
Put a complaint into the nearest Redcross thats available to you,telling them your address and when it happened,they'll know who was collecting for them and when.

young_fishin_neep
06-Apr-09, 20:28
We had a lady at the door today also, she told me it was illegal for me to give her £2 in her tin today as she maybe "untrustworthy" but wanted me to give her my bank details

we do charity collecting on this army course, we raise money for highland hospice. we collect with the tins in town so i know its not illegal, however i do know its illegal for her to shake the tin in public though.

xx

ABC
06-Apr-09, 21:00
The lady at my door also told me that they were promoting first aid in schools, and about how important it is for youngsters to learn first aid. If that is what they find so important then why did they stop their youth groups?

horseman
06-Apr-09, 21:00
She sure sounds like a pain in the butt---
But dare I say she has a heck of a lot of bottle!
I would nearly give her a shilling for her up frontness!!
I wouldnt' really but I would implore entreat beg her to suscribe to the guide dogs for the blind-an tell her that all visitors to this street never fail to sign up to it,an would she put her details on this bit of paper!

Gene Hunt
06-Apr-09, 21:02
The sort of approach the Red Cross seem to be using is referred to here in Wales as "Chugging" or charity mugging.

The worst offenders I have seen are the Red Cross and Amnesty International. I have been in Cardiff and been stopped and pestered by people chugging for both. It doesn't matter how polite you are they just don't seem to take the hint until bluntly told where to go.

jings00
06-Apr-09, 21:04
yeh, my sister was telling me she had a bit of bother getting a woman for the red cross to take no for an answer....sis was told that her neighbours were all contributing.
come to my door!! i got hormones!!! grrrrrrrrr

alex
06-Apr-09, 21:06
"Chugging" Thanks, that was the word failing me. Also add Oxfam and Save the Children to the list of Chuggers

shazzap
06-Apr-09, 21:14
Anyone who comes to my door whether it be for charity, religion or whatever is told NO THANK YOU and if they don't take that for an answer i just shut the door in their face. I don't see how anyone has the right to bother you with these things in your own home. If i want to give to charity i will if i want to change my energy supplier i will. As for those touting their religion well i am an agnostic and who do they think they are coming to my door telling who and what i should believe in. I don't shove my beliefs down their throat. well i think I've made my point so i will shut up.

ShelleyCowie
06-Apr-09, 21:19
we do charity collecting on this army course, we raise money for highland hospice. we collect with the tins in town so i know its not illegal, however i do know its illegal for her to shake the tin in public though.

xx

I used to do collecting for the army cadets. But it was only ever for rememberance day, we would stand out collecting and giving poppys. And yea we got told we were not allowed to shake our tins either.

Im tempted to speak to my neighbours and see if they did actually sign up like she said or if it was a lie.

Bobinovich...where are u?! :cool:

butterfly
06-Apr-09, 21:20
If they come to my door and dont accept a polite no they will get short shift from it!

Bobinovich
06-Apr-09, 22:32
I simply replied that I give to local charities as and when I can. I would never sign up to a regular contribution as I'm aware that, as soon as you do, you get every charity thinking you are a mug and asking for the same.

ShelleyCowie
06-Apr-09, 23:17
I simply replied that I give to local charities as and when I can. I would never sign up to a regular contribution as I'm aware that, as soon as you do, you get every charity thinking you are a mug and asking for the same.

Well...she said all my neighbours had already signed up. Lie right there then! And i know of 3 others that never. [disgust] Hate when people lie like that!

TBH
06-Apr-09, 23:28
I just cant believe i had to resort to lying saying i was a single mum! I felt awful about lying but did not feel awful about saying no! I have never had someone so pushy like that! When people come to the door with a tin i always give money. If i see a tin in a shop i put my change in it.

I just still cant get over how rude she was! I think i might fish around online and see if there is someway to get in contact with someone about it!Why did you feel the need to lie? Next time she call just shout, "Release the Hounds, Smithers.[lol]

pierre
06-Apr-09, 23:31
I also had woman at the door tonight who was extremely pushy and I had to say no several times advising I donate to charity and am presently skint and only work part time etc etc, I should not have to explain myself to someone coming to my door looking for money if I say no that should be it.

I was also advised all my neighbours donated and they already donate to 6 or 7 charities and still donated to them!!!

In my opinion this does not give a good impression for the charity and certainly does not want me to make a donation to them anytime soon.

I might just take the No thanks and shut the door approach from now on.

buddyrich
06-Apr-09, 23:53
Charities who peddle guilt are the absolute scum of the earth. I think it's dreadful that people are being made to feel as though they're somehow forsaking the needy by not giving out their bank details.

They came to my old man's door earlier and gave him the same routine. He said he wasn't interested and the scrote gave him the schtick about the poor needing money etc etc etc. He's no duck egg though. "Im poor too", he said. "No charity ever came to help me, and i had to work fifty years to still be poor!"

Dadie
06-Apr-09, 23:56
Ifm wishing to be polite the answer is always... thanks but no thanks!
If they wish for more info the answer is its none of you buisness etc....and if pushed for more cash the answer is no!
thats my opinion though:lol:
xxx

DeHaviLand
06-Apr-09, 23:59
I always find that a polite, but firm, punch on the nose always helps in this type of situation.;). But that's not to be taken as a recommendation! Honest Officer, DeHav told me to do it:roll:

Dadie
07-Apr-09, 00:16
in my house the answer is NO! and I dont care what you are reprosenting the genuine causes seem to get the money but the ones that are less worthy give up sooner.......... and dont lke being told they could be seen as harrasssingyou!
good luck!

buddyrich
07-Apr-09, 00:19
Quite right. I can see why someone might lie just to not seem mean-spirited, but take a step back and think-you're actually lying to justify yourself to a total stranger who came to your home to ask for money???? How did society come to this???:confused

There is nothing inherently wrong with charity, but this is taking it too far.

shazzap
07-Apr-09, 01:51
I always find that a polite, but firm, punch on the nose always helps in this type of situation.;). But that's not to be taken as a recommendation! Honest Officer, DeHav told me to do it:roll:

LOL----------------:lol:

Fran
07-Apr-09, 02:39
If they come to my door and dont accept a polite no they will get short shift from it!

I would suggest you put your big vicious dog on them!!!

Aaldtimer
07-Apr-09, 03:55
There should be no such thing as Charity in this, one of the richest countries of the world.
We can find billions to bail out failed banks, billions to finance troops overseas, and the Government laugh up their sleeves at "The Raggle Trousered Philanthropists" who raise money for Cancer Nurses, equipment for hospitals, and God knows what ever other "Good Causes".

Any Charity I subscribe to is overseas in the third world.

The way to deal with these people is ask why we should subscribe to paying their wages for collecting for said charities! [disgust]
And send them packing!

arana negra
07-Apr-09, 08:41
My reply to all these kind of things is 'I give to charities direct from my salary thankyou' I also I tell tin rattlers on the street that are breaking the law as they are not allowed to actually 'rattle' the can.

majic
07-Apr-09, 08:58
i dont give to charities because not all the money goes to what you are giving it to

alex
07-Apr-09, 09:14
I also I tell tin rattlers on the street that are breaking the law as they are not allowed to actually 'rattle' the can.

At the risk of opening up another lunatic tangent I wonder who actually went to the trouble of passing a law to stop tin rattling?

Surely there are far worse crimes in the shopping precinct like dropping chewing gum or spitting [evil] or do these heinous offences not occur in Caithness?

arana negra
07-Apr-09, 10:05
I have no idea who passed the law but I agree with it, I hated getting tins rattled in my face as if to say donate ! Dropping chewing gum and spitting are disgusting habits and I think are covered by law but not acted on. That is the problem we have laws but they are not enforced WEIRD. The last time I was up in Fraserburgh that was/is my abiding memory of the place chewing gum on streets UGH as for spitting DON'T get me started on that filthy habit [disgust]

balto
07-Apr-09, 11:23
i had that before and was so pressured into doing it, mind you i canceled it straight away, it was the only way to get rid of them, also certain religious people who come round the doors with small children, i now tell them what i think and shut the door. as shelley says charity begins at home.

Gronnuck
07-Apr-09, 11:48
My reply to all these kind of things is 'I give to charities direct from my salary thankyou' I also I tell tin rattlers on the street that are breaking the law as they are not allowed to actually 'rattle' the can.

I agree arana negra my stock answer is that I use the Gift Aid scheme so that the chosen charity can claim back the tax I've paid on my wages.
Regarding 'tin rattlers' it is illegal for them to impede any pedestrians and should they do so using a rattling tin this can be construed as a Breach of the Peace.
Every charity collector should carry an authorisation card carrying their name and the details of the charity involved including its address, telephone number and authorising person. If you have any doubts about the collectors legitimacy ask to see their card and copy the details.
Many genuine charity collectors do a good job and support those organisations we are most familiar with. However there are some bigger charities that are increasingly using people to collect on commission. These are easily spotted and should be challenged. Don't faff about get their names and complain to the charity involved.

ShelleyCowie
07-Apr-09, 12:25
Why did you feel the need to lie? Next time she call just shout, "Release the Hounds, Smithers.[lol]

I felt the need to lie because i could not get here away from my door. I felt terrible for lying as i said.

I may just have to invest in some hounds indeed! Or maybe i will set the gerbils on them next time! :Razz

buddyrich
07-Apr-09, 12:31
It's understandable, it's difficult if the swine are particularly insistent. It must take some brass neck to knock on someones door and make them feel guilty for not giving money to a total stranger.

Even the ones peddling religion seem to quicky realise they're getting nowhere and sod off quick smart.

I think the notion of a charity asking for bank details is as arrogant and offensive as it is worrying. The only people who have my bank details are my bank and me.

Buttercup
07-Apr-09, 12:50
i dont give to charities because not all the money goes to what you are giving it to

This is a very sweeping statement and have to strongly disagree with it. You can't possibly say that ALL charities do this! Please qualify your post by showing us how you came to this conclusion. :confused

northener
07-Apr-09, 13:07
When answering the door, always carry a large kitchen knife. Do not make eye contact with the chugger, always stare at a point about 6" above their head.

Then speak very loudly and slowly. Speaking 'In tongues' or even Gaelic will add to the effect.
Failing this, shout random words like "Otter!", "Husquavarna!" or "Get those dirty alligators out of my fireplace!".

If you are male, answering the door in just your underpants (preferably well stained and still carrying the large kitchen knife) is a sure fire way to move 'em on swiftly.

For a small fee I am willing to take on this role if you think you are about to suffer from an infestation of charity people. PM me.

Vistravi
07-Apr-09, 13:44
When answering the door, always carry a large kitchen knife. Do not make eye contact with the chugger, always stare at a point about 6" above their head.

Then speak very loudly and slowly. Speaking 'In tongues' or even Gaelic will add to the effect.
Failing this, shout random words like "Otter!", "Husquavarna!" or "Get those dirty alligators out of my fireplace!".

If you are male, answering the door in just your underpants (preferably well stained and still carrying the large kitchen knife) is a sure fire way to move 'em on swiftly.

For a small fee I am willing to take on this role if you think you are about to suffer from an infestation of charity people. PM me.

[lol] obviously tried and tested;)

I always find that a polite, but firm, punch on the nose always helps in this type of situation.. But that's not to be taken as a recommendation! Honest Officer, DeHav told me to do it

I find that this approach gets rid of many people;) not that i'd ever get caught doing it lol

Vistravi
07-Apr-09, 13:48

You shouldve told her where to stick her bullying Shelley and very bluntly too;) It's the only way to get rid of people like her.

shazzap
07-Apr-09, 13:54
Some years back we were plagued with cold callers of all descriptions.
On seeing another walking down the path my OH opened the door screaming and waving his hands about Like a madman. The cold caller turned around and made a hasty retreat saying to others who were passing don't go there a madman lives there.

ShelleyCowie
07-Apr-09, 17:16
Well i have sent an email of complaint. Got a email back saying they are looking into this and will email me back soon with the action they will be taking as mine is not the only complaint from my area in the last couple of days!

cuddlepop
07-Apr-09, 19:09
Well i have sent an email of complaint. Got a email back saying they are looking into this and will email me back soon with the action they will be taking as mine is not the only complaint from my area in the last couple of days!

It makes me furious when so called charity collectors behave in such a fashion.
Well done you for taking the time to report them,collectors like these ones should be banned.
This behaviour is bullying and we dont like bullys.:mad:

butterfly
07-Apr-09, 20:16
I would suggest you put your big vicious dog on them!!!

There's an idea!.....:D

butterfly
07-Apr-09, 20:24

Lol! your funny!

blondscot
07-Apr-09, 20:27
I spoke to a member of the local red cross branch about 5 minutes ago and they know nothing about anybody going around trying to cajohle people into giving away bank details for regular donations. They will now be contacting the Inverness Branch tonight to inform them about what is happening up here and get it sorted!

cuddlepop
08-Apr-09, 13:30

This is what I've missed ,[lol] your witty comments are priceless.

dirdyweeker
08-Apr-09, 15:03
Well "they" have arrived in Wick. Had a lady at my door this morning saying that my neighbours are already giving and would I like to contribute to the Red Cross. I said "no thankyou" and closed the door.
Away she went to my neighbour! Wickers be warned!

Daisyy
08-Apr-09, 16:59
As a local volunteer of the Red Cross can I point out that these people going round asking for bank details are nothing whatsoever to do with the local team and shop. I myself would not give bank details at the door, and we are as uncomfortable about this as most people using this thread. What I would like to say is please keep supporting the local Red Cross team as you always generously do and not to be put off by these doorstep pests. I will ask our manager to look at this forum and head office will be informed of any complaints made.

riggerboy
08-Apr-09, 17:05
if a simple no doesnt do the trick, the just tell them to wait minute and shut the door and then go stand at the window with the fone in you hand staring at them, if not just get a rope out and hang em
hang em
hang em

balto
08-Apr-09, 17:14
they must have been in my area yesterday, lucky me i was at work, they came into the shop wearing there red cross bib things, was biting my tongue, really wanted to have a go, as i had read this thread before i went to work, but knowing my luck if i had said anything they would have tried to sign me up.

on another charity thing, got a leaflet throuugh the door today just saying they were collecting bric a brac for 3rd world countries, but it didnt state what charity it was doing it, anyone else get this and is it legitimate.

starry
08-Apr-09, 17:23
If they are nothing to do with local Red Cross then I think I would phone the police to check it out.

catran
08-Apr-09, 18:36
I spoke to a member of the local red cross branch about 5 minutes ago and they know nothing about anybody going around trying to cajohle people into giving away bank details for regular donations. They will now be contacting the Inverness Branch tonight to inform them about what is happening up here and get it sorted!
Good show, I was planning to do that myself. They were in Wick today a female doing one street and a bloke doing the other. I told him I was not the least bit interested but I did hear him speaking to someone further down the street, a young girl who even told him her bank was the RBS but she did not know the account number and he said he would come back tonight...............I saw both the female and bloke together walking through the street when I finished work at 5.00pm.........A scam do you think? He did have an identification tag hanging around his neck.

ShelleyCowie
08-Apr-09, 18:46
if a simple no doesnt do the trick, the just tell them to wait minute and shut the door and then go stand at the window with the fone in you hand staring at them, if not just get a rope out and hang em
hang em
hang em

Hanging is not always the answer! I am sure u will get to do it one day tho Riggerboy! :lol:

Reading the rest of these replies has certainly made me feel alot better that i never handed over my bank details.

Im still waiting for a further response to my complaint so will be chasing it up soon.

Kodiak
08-Apr-09, 19:06
on another charity thing, got a leaflet throuugh the door today just saying they were collecting bric a brac for 3rd world countries, but it didnt state what charity it was doing it, anyone else get this and is it legitimate.

Yes I received one of these leaflets and by the looks of it, just might not be legitmate, look here :-

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=72990

catran
08-Apr-09, 19:43
The other week there were bagfulls everywhere so rich pickings so here they come again.........How about getting rid of your garden rubbish or the likes and tie the hyellow sticker to it????? What fun........Nice looking young lad came posting the flyers through the letterboxes.

Alice in Blunderland
08-Apr-09, 19:47
The other week there were bagfulls everywhere so rich pickings so here they come again.........How about getting rid of your garden rubbish or the likes and tie the hyellow sticker to it????? What fun........Nice looking young lad came posting the flyers through the letterboxes.

Maybe its me but I just dont see the humour in this suggestion at all. :confused

catran
08-Apr-09, 19:54
I will ignore your remark Alice in Blunderland. If it is a scam as has been suggested well. I would not bother myself but......at the end of the day its the least of my concerns. More to think about than some guys coming to collect the missus rags out of the wardrobe.

katarina
08-Apr-09, 22:11
They came to my door tonight. And he was not even local! Flashed his card too fast for me to see if it was genuine or not. Something very suss about the whole thing if you ask me. He wanted me to give £2 a week to the red cross. I told him i was a member of the red cross, so he put away his literature and said, 'I won't give you this then.' He didn't stay around too long after that.

bekisman
09-Apr-09, 12:46
This link gives more details on the Red Cross 'collections' by using external organisations.. (it tells you how to recognise em) and where the locations were collecters will be. This week:
Highland Council - IV1, IV10, IV11, IV12, IV13, IV14, IV15, IV16, IV17, IV18, IV19, IV2, IV20, IV21, IV22, IV23, IV24, IV25, IV26, IV27, IV28, IV3, IV4, IV40, IV41, IV42, IV43, IV44, IV45, IV46, IV47, IV48, IV49, IV5, IV51, IV52, IV53, IV54, IV55, IV56, IV6, IV63, IV7, IV8, IV9, KW1, KW10, KW11, KW12, KW13, KW14, KW2, KW3, KW5, KW6, KW7, KW8, KW9, PA34, PA38, PH19, PH20, PH21, PH22, PH23, PH24, PH25, PH26, PH30, PH31, PH32, PH33, PH34, PH35, PH36, PH37, PH38, PH40, PH41, PH42, PH43, PH44, PH49, PH50

Are YOU there?

http://www.redcross.org.uk/standard.asp?id=75039

mrs and mr brown
09-Apr-09, 13:02
i remember that when i had just had my daughter i think she was about 2 weeks old, hormones everywhere ect, lol. there was a knock at the door one night and it was a man from some organisation trying to get money for charity, i told him at the door that i was very tired as it was 9pm ish and told him to come back another time however he was very persistand and i let him in. he started saying about what he was rasing money for ect then my daughter woke up, when i came threw with her i told him he needed to go, he said he wantind to show my something, which was horriable photos of babies and young children starving to death in another country, i said that i would love to help but i didnt have anyspare money, as i said this he looked around and said it didnt look like i didnt have money....... i then said to him that if i was going to donate money it would be to someone who was as rude as him and told him for the 3rd time he had to go or i was going to phone the police, needless to say he went out my door very fast.

some people that come to the door are lovely and i dont mind giving away change or if a good cause charity a couple of pound, however some are very challenging and dont take no sorry for an answer,

katarina
09-Apr-09, 15:50
i i said that i would love to help but i didnt have anyspare money, as i said this he looked around and said it didnt look like i didnt have money....... i then said to him that if i was going to donate money it would be to someone who was as rude as him and told him for the 3rd time he had to go or i was going to phone the police, needless to say he went out my door very fast.

What a cheek! No wonder you showed him the door! These people are so pushy - they must be on some sort of commission.

starry
09-Apr-09, 15:58
Has anyone phoned the police to check they are not just at it ?

catran
09-Apr-09, 20:00
they are doing the rounds Caithness and have now moved on to Sutherland.

bekisman
09-Apr-09, 21:30
Just had a look at the British Red Cross 'Trustees’ report and accounts 2006'
http://www.redcross.org.uk/uploads/documents/BRCS_Trustees06.pdf (http://www.redcross.org.uk/uploads/documents/BRCS_Trustees06.pdf)

3 executives are on £60,001 – £70,000, 8 are on £70,001 – £80,000, 1 is on £80,001 – £90,000, 1 is on £90,001 – £100,000, and one is on £150,001 – £160,000. (Incidentally Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross, was paid $468,599)
Still can't find out what these folks get for knocking on doors though.
Fair enough the Red Cross does good, but I 'aint going to give them my bank details to set up a DD. Any money I have available, I'll give to the Sally Army - chief executive who manages £161m budget and 5,600 staff, his Salary including benefits: £10,258.08p - and the Lifeboats.