PDA

View Full Version : Planes, trains and automobiles

alex
06-Apr-09, 18:40
Actually automobiles was just for the catchy title - I don't fancy hiring a car and making a road trip movie :)

As expected the travel agents here in Zambia get a bit confused when trying to help me with getting north from Heathrow. So, I'm looking for a bit of advice on the best way to come up North.

The easiest, according to the web is the night train from London and then on from Inverness to Thurso but here in Africa travelling by plane is often the cheapest option (sounds daft I know) so I was wondering what some of you, who travel up and down sometimes, think is the best option (if you are using your own money - not on expenses).

I'll only be bringing my suitcase as I'll freight the rest of my stuff to a safe haven.

Thanks,
Alex

wickscorrie
06-Apr-09, 18:45
whatabout easyjet luton to inverness, and then either train or stagecoach bus north
or megabus from heathrow north, long haul though!!!
or as you said overnight train

canuck
06-Apr-09, 19:52
wickscorrie's suggestion was the route I took when I was getting people from Wick to London.

supernova
06-Apr-09, 23:32
You can fly EasyJet Gatwick to Inverness, sometimes really cheap. You can also fly BA from any London Airport to Wick (usually changing at Edinburgh) but it will cost a lot, lot more.
Good luck

Dadie
06-Apr-09, 23:50
What it depends on is if the charges for excessive basggage on the flights is worth it!or if it is cheaper to lug the bags from trains to trains is worth it!

gpod luck

xxxxx

ps always wanted a tortoise but never relly looked at the cost XXX :lol:

Fran
07-Apr-09, 02:42
The train is a nice way to see the country side....and who knows, maybe there will be an orger coming north from inverness who would give you a lift!!

Margaret M.
07-Apr-09, 03:32
The train all the way from London to Thurso would be too much for me. Trains from London to Inverness are quite speedy but from Inverness to Thurso is painfully slow.

There are flights from Zambia to Edinburgh -- is that not an option? Heathrow is so busy and then there is a journey to either the train station or Gatwick.

I usually fly into Edinburgh and catch the Flybe flight up to Wick. Flying from Gatwick to Inverness and catching a bus up north would be my second choice.

joxville
07-Apr-09, 07:18
If you are landing at Heathrow then maybe the easiest way would be to fly to Inverness, with a flight change in Glasgow. Travelling around to Gatwick or Luton will take at least an hour, a lot longer depending on the time of day. The company I work for is starting roadworks on the M4 so the tailbacks to Heathrow and around the M4/M3/M25 junctions are going to be horrendous.

dessie
07-Apr-09, 08:02
depending what time you arrive in london..the night sleeper is great leaves london about 21,00 arrives inverness about 08.30.which will give you until about 2 hours before the train north..also the night sleeper can be expensive i its a late bucking...hope that helps a little.good journey..

Fluff
07-Apr-09, 08:19
When we last went up in Feb we took the sleeper from London to Inverness then a train up from Inverness. it took a long time but travelling overnight was quite good. The berths are very 'snug' and you may have to share it with someone else.
Before that we used to fly up to Inverness. This takes alot less time but the train felt more fun!
I have also done the megabus ride, 12 hours on a bus from Inverness to London, never again!! it was however, very cheap.
In some ways the best and worst way is from Inverness to Thurso. It is very beautiful if you go during daytime, but it takes almost 4 hours so it can get quite dull.

alex
07-Apr-09, 09:31
Thanks all.

My plane arrives at Heathrow in the evening and just a little too late to risk rushing to Euston for the sleeper so it looks like a night in London will be required anyway, which is fine except then it leaves all the options above open to me!

Choices, choices...

alex
08-Apr-09, 00:07
Thanks all.

My plane arrives at Heathrow in the evening and just a little too late to risk rushing to Euston for the sleeper so it looks like a night in London will be required anyway, which is fine except then it leaves all the options above open to me!

Choices, choices...

Actually once it came down to it there were not that many choices at all, travelling over Easter seems not to be such a brilliant plan.

I have a jumper already and am sowing bits of canvas onto my shorts. Might work?

So tickets all sorted planes and trains... it's a bit exciting
See you next week :)