PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy???

poppett
06-Apr-09, 18:19
Sweet mint jelly....................?? I used to buy it in the Baxters shop in Ocean terminal when I lived in Edinburgh. Co-op in Thurso used to have it but discontinued it on their new line plan, as did Tesco.

Help is at hand, I just know it is....................please.

Kodiak
06-Apr-09, 18:44
Try one of these :-

http://www.welshmeatonline.co.uk/welsh-sweet-mint-jelly/prod_30.html

http://www.realfooddirect.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=12_47&products_id=343

http://www.rhug.co.uk/product_pages/product_details.asp?ProductID=266

K

dragonfly
06-Apr-09, 20:14
my sister in law lives near Edinburgh and goes to Ocean Terminal often, and she's meeting us in Inverness over Easter so if websites from Kodiak no use, let me asap and I'll see if she can get you some and bring it up with her

Julia
06-Apr-09, 22:16
Tesco do mint jelly but not sure if it's the sweet one or not

poppett
06-Apr-09, 23:10
Tesco in Thurso have four or five different makes of mint sauce, but they tell me the mint jelly they used to stock from Baxters has been discontinued. I asked the customer services lady to check with Wick, which she did, whilst I listened in, and they tell me the same thing. Awaiting reply from Baxters if this is true. The Welsh lamb website tell me they want £10 postage to send a jar...........I love the stuff, but not that much.

Dragonfly, thanks for the offer. Will let you know tomorrow if I need your help.

Dadie
06-Apr-09, 23:59
Make your own!!
Add 2-3 tpsp,of sugar to mint jeeely and you have cracked it!

poppett
07-Apr-09, 11:47
Brilliant idea Dadie, but can`t find mint jelly anywhere and it doesn`t work with the mint sauce as it has too high a vinegar content.

Baxters say it hasn`t been discontinued but the Co-op and Tesco have chosen not to stock it. It is available in ASDA, Morrisons and Sainsbury which isn`t much help to us folk stuck in Caithness.

Have sent you a pm Dragonfly and will take you up on your kind offer if it is not too inconvenient.

balto
07-Apr-09, 11:55
Brilliant idea Dadie, but can`t find mint jelly anywhere and it doesn`t work with the mint sauce as it has too high a vinegar content.

Baxters say it hasn`t been discontinued but the Co-op and Tesco have chosen not to stock it. It is available in ASDA, Morrisons and Sainsbury which isn`t much help to us folk stuck in Caithness.

Have sent you a pm Dragonfly and will take you up on your kind offer if it is not too inconvenient.
the coop are taking stuff in that isnt included in their new plans, as there are a few favs missing and customers have asked them to get them again and they have been kind enough to order them again so it might be worth a ask, goodluckx

poppett
07-Apr-09, 12:05
Have already warred with co-op over coronation chicken and a particular smelly candle brand which had disappeared after the refurb. There were so many complaints about the coronation chicken that is now back on the line plan, and they took in a special stock of candles for me last week, but they are non-food and treated differently.

Both Tesco and Co-op have said the product is off their plan as it has been discontinued by the manufacturer, but I spoke to Baxters today and they say the product has not been discontinued and it is the choice of the store which products they stock.

ASDA stock it, so if we had been allowed an ASDA at Pennyland I could have bought it there. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for your help balto.

Fran
08-Apr-09, 00:29
I'm going to Dingwall tomorrow, i will have a look for it there.

Dadie
08-Apr-09, 09:17
40g mint
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
pint of boiling water
700g sugar
84g liquid pectin
a wee drop of green food colouring if wanted
pour boiling water on the crushed mint let it come back to the boil and leave it to cool for 10 mins to infuse
measure out 1 and 2/3 cups of the liqiud add the lemon and sugar and let it boil for a min then pour in the pectin and stir for a whole min remove foam from the top then pour into sterilised jam jars

sorry about the mix of measurements !

kriklah
08-Apr-09, 10:03
the spar in halkirk has mint jelly, and i think it is baxters, ill get a look later today

poppett
10-Apr-09, 12:47
Just been informed that JA Mackay grocers in Thurso have in a stock of mint jelly...........life savers!!

Their kilo bags of sugar are also 10pence cheaper than the supermarkets just now.

Thanks to everyone for all their help, especially for the shipment coming from Leith via Dragonfly.

Proves once again the power of the org.