PDA

View Full Version : Directions in Dingwall?

Fran
06-Apr-09, 17:38
I have to go to the hospital in Dingwall this week, but have never been to dingwall so don't know where the hospital is. Can someone give me directions please?. Also, are there any good shops for me to go to afterwards? I know there is a New Look so I will be going there.

poppett
06-Apr-09, 18:16
If you follow the signs for Dingwall from the Cromarty causeway roundabout you will approach Dingwall on the old road which passes the Ross County football club. Go as far as you can to a T junction with traffic lights and turn left. Keep on that road and you will see the National Hotel on your left just before the road bears right, but go straight on, over the hump backed railway bridge and the hospital is on your left. It is well signposted. Safe journey, Fran, and haste ye back.

Kodiak
06-Apr-09, 18:28
Hope this helps :-

http://i39.tinypic.com/2l8g6zn.jpg

dirdyweeker
06-Apr-09, 18:30
You will need to visit Cockburns butchers Fran. Top class haggis from there.

Lingland
06-Apr-09, 19:42
Yes there are several good shops in Dingwall. Not superstores but good old fashioned shops.

DeHaviLand
06-Apr-09, 21:20
If you follow the signs for Dingwall from the Cromarty causeway roundabout you will approach Dingwall on the old road which passes the Ross County football club. Go as far as you can to a T junction with traffic lights and turn left. Keep on that road and you will see the National Hotel on your left just before the road bears right, but go straight on, over the hump backed railway bridge and the hospital is on your left. It is well signposted. Safe journey, Fran, and haste ye back.

Whatever you do, dont follow these directions!! Coming from Cromarty bridge, turn left at Tesco, follow the road round behind Tesco petrol station, At T-junction, turn right. Follow road past National hotel, and take the left fork over the bridge. Hospital is 300 yards on left.

poppett
06-Apr-09, 23:14
De Haviland, why the need to be anywhere near Tesco`s petrol station? I have been going to the hospital for years by my route. Maybe I didn`t explain it very well.

DeHaviLand
06-Apr-09, 23:19
De Haviland, why the need to be anywhere near Tesco`s petrol station? I have been going to the hospital for years by my route. Maybe I didn`t explain it very well.

You didn't. Fran said she had never been in Dingwall before, she's hardly going to know where the old road that takes you past the football ground is. My directions are much easier to follow, in my opinion.

poppett
07-Apr-09, 11:57
My mistake as I should have said the Ross County football club social club which is on Tulloch Street a continuation of the approach from the Cromarty causeway roundabout.

Sure between two sets of instructions and the map Fran will find her way.

In my mind I just couldn`t follow your directions and get to the hospital, but that says more about me being thick than your ability to give good instruction.

Tighsonas4
07-Apr-09, 19:18
cant see whats the problem in dingwall, when it says town centre just turn in and go up to the top . you can only turn left .as you pass the national keep straight on over the bridge and your there its not a city
tony

binbob
07-Apr-09, 20:02
My mistake as I should have said the Ross County football club social club which is on Tulloch Street a continuation of the approach from the Cromarty causeway roundabout.

Sure between two sets of instructions and the map Fran will find her way.

In my mind I just couldn`t follow your directions and get to the hospital, but that says more about me being thick than your ability to give good instruction.

never mind ,poppet..u did ur best/.;)

Fran
08-Apr-09, 00:05
Thank you all for your directions, the map was very handy, should have done that myself, but thankyou all for taking the time to give me directions.

Chligh
08-Apr-09, 20:42
I have to go to the hospital in Dingwall this week, but have never been to dingwall so don't know where the hospital is. Can someone give me directions please?. Also, are there any good shops for me to go to afterwards? I know there is a New Look so I will be going there.
I had to go too - but the hospital gave me directions

Fran
09-Apr-09, 01:08
What a lovely place Dingwall is, good shops, lots of parking. good for disabled with shopability scooters. I got there early so had a walk about after parking at the shops, had a lunch in the hotel for £4, saw the sign for the hospital. Got there no problem. took the road saying north afterwards, dont know what happened, it wasnt the road i should have been on. glad i took the wrong road, it was high up looking down to the sea, and the road i should have been on, spectacular scenery.
Thank you all for the directions.Didnt realise it was so near to Inverness.

poppett
10-Apr-09, 12:51
I lived in Dingwall for two years in my late teens, and have always enjoyed a stroll down memory lane and revisting Stratpeffer too. Glad you enjoyed the outing Fran, and your detour with a view.

PeterR
11-Jul-09, 17:53
As someone who moved to Dingwall first nearly 20 years ago, Poppett's directions were already out of date then, because by then Craig Road was already in two parts - the main and most obvious part coming from the Cromarty Bridge roundabout continues straight on into the ring road (Newton Road?) by the park, while the other part that goes past the former Ross County Social Club (a Baptist Church for perhaps about 6 years now), is a turning off that a visitor would not realise had ever been the same road.

The obvious and signposted way to the hospital under the current road system of about 20 years (since much of High Street was pedestrianised) is to go down Hill Street (a turning off the Greenhill Street section of the Ring Road near Station Road, by the Free Presbyterian Church). At the Post Office (High Street) turn right and veer left into Ferry Road just before Free Church/Railway Station; go across the railway bridge and the hospital is on your left a couple of hundred yards along.

To reach Hill Street coming from the North you pass through three sets of traffic lights and Hill Street is the first road turning on your left.

To reach Hill Street coming from the Maryburgh roundabout you pass through one set of traffic lights and Hill Street is the first road turning on your right.

Poppett will remember another road before Hill Street (coming from Maryburgh) called Park Street, but that has for many years been blocked off at the Greenhill Street end. Hill Street, the east end of High Street, and the northern part of Station Road form a one way system.

Kind regards

Peter
in Dingwall