PDA

View Full Version : Bus fares & dogs

cazmanian_minx
06-Apr-09, 15:43
Sorry to clutter up the board, but I can't find this on the Stagecoach or Rapsons websites.

Could anyone tell me how much a return from Halkirk to Thurso would be (leaving Halkirk on the 10.55) and whether they allow dogs to travel on the bus?

joxville
06-Apr-09, 17:03
I don't know the price...a couple of quid I expect, but the dogs would need a wee pouch to hold their money in. :D

pat
06-Apr-09, 18:30
Had to take one of my dogs to the Mainland, ferry ok, would not allow me on the bus with the dog - bus which I should have caught (which did allow dogs to be carried) had left due to the ferry being late.
Eventually the driver relented and permitted us on - company policy no dogs - City Link.
Was lectured very severely that dog was not allowed on the seats or to do the toilet on the bus!! Had to sit at the front so driver could see if dog was misbehaving! Really had to bite my tongue severely - relying on the driver to allow me to get to Inverness to meet up with oh to go to Aberdeen shopping, but felt driver was completely OTT.
Hope you manage to take your dog on the bus with you.

Jovi
06-Apr-09, 20:27
Ive travelled on Stagecoach buses where owners had their dog with them twice in the last couple of weeks, and the drivers gave the owners no hassle..both journeys were between Halkirk and Thurso. Hope this is helpful,and you have a stress free journey. :) A single fare is £3, don.t know about return

Mik.M.
06-Apr-09, 20:31
Return journey Halkirk to Thurso costs £3.53. Weird amount I know but thats Stagecoach for you, doggies can travel too. Mik

young_fishin_neep
06-Apr-09, 20:34
Return journey Halkirk to Thurso costs £3.53. Weird amount I know but thats Stagecoach for you, doggies can travel too. Mik

was woundering how long it would take you to post :P

xx

teenybash
06-Apr-09, 20:38
I don't know the fares but, if it is a King Charles spaniel should travel free....something to do with a charter............:confused

joxville
06-Apr-09, 20:39
was woundering how long it would take you to post :P

xx

I don't think it's safe for Mik to use his laptop whilst driving his bus......difficult enough as it is holding a cup of tea. :D

Mik.M.
06-Apr-09, 20:46
I don't think it's safe for Mik to use his laptop whilst driving his bus......difficult enough as it is holding a cup of tea. :D
You forgot the phone and the Snickers bar too,good job I don`t smoke.

joxville
06-Apr-09, 20:48
You forgot the phone and the Snickers bar too,good job I don`t smoke.

Ssssssh, I'm not wanting to land you in it wi' the bosses. ;)

piratelassie
07-Apr-09, 01:47
Dogs arn't ment to travel on buses, they have four legs.. think about the people that are allergic to pet hair and are paying customers.....

joxville
07-Apr-09, 06:46
Oh for heaven's sake, don't be ridiculous-is it the dog's fault that the human has an allergy? The bus company allow dogs to travel so someone with an allergy can politely ask the owner to sit further away.

Instead why don't we ban dogs from leaving their owner's property in case soemone with an allergy walks by?

cazmanian_minx
07-Apr-09, 07:44
Thanks guys - will make sure I have the right change with me :) Mother-out-law has suggested I take her favourite grand-dog for a visit while my car's being serviced :)

Shabbychic
07-Apr-09, 10:16
Dogs arn't ment to travel on buses, they have four legs.. think about the people that are allergic to pet hair and are paying customers.....

Are there rules on buses about the number of leg's passengers are allowed to have? :eek: What if it was a three legged dog, is that allowed?:confused

balto
07-Apr-09, 11:14
what is it was a dog to help someone that was blind or deaf.

Vistravi
07-Apr-09, 12:59

What if its vet day and the owner has to ake their dog or cat on the bus to get to the vets as they don't have a car or someone who can take them in?
As a owner of 2 cats and living in inverness where i have to take the bus as i don't have my license yet i will be taking the bus regardless of whetere or not anyone on the bus has alergys to them. my pets health will come before this political correct nonsense [disgust]

Oh for heaven's sake, don't be ridiculous-is it the dog's fault that the human has an allergy? The bus company allow dogs to travel so someone with an allergy can politely ask the owner to sit further away.

Instead why don't we ban dogs from leaving their owner's property in case soemone with an allergy walks by?

Well said jox, the world has gone too political correct and too soft.

binbob
07-Apr-09, 13:41

OHHHHHH...REALLY.....????????[disgust]

binbob
07-Apr-09, 13:42
oh for heaven's sake, don't be ridiculous-is it the dog's fault that the human has an allergy? The bus company allow dogs to travel so someone with an allergy can politely ask the owner to sit further away.

absolutely....;)

binbob
07-Apr-09, 13:43
Are there rules on buses about the number of leg's passengers are allowed to have? :eek: What if it was a three legged dog, is that allowed?:confused

probably....i am in stitches ....some people .well done,shabbychic!!!![lol]

Kodiak
07-Apr-09, 14:17

So taking in both of these posts you would be safe as long as you have two legs.

So no one would object if I took an Ostrich on a Bus then, after all they only have two legs and they do not have any hairs.

cazmanian_minx
07-Apr-09, 14:44
This is what I really love about the General forum - the way a simple query can turn into a discussion about whether it's possible to take an ostrich on a bus ride in Caithness - absolutely brilliant :)

joxville
07-Apr-09, 15:23
So taking in both of these posts you would be safe as long as you have two legs.

So no one would object if I took an Ostrich on a Bus then, after all they only have two legs and they do not have any hairs.
I would object...usually I'm the one that ends up with the ugly bird. [lol][lol][lol]

piratelassie
07-Apr-09, 22:13
Why stress the poor animals out by taking them onto public transport, get the vet to make a house call....

balto
07-Apr-09, 22:16
Why stress the poor animals out by taking them onto public transport, get the vet to make a house call....
and what if the person cant afford to pay double the price the vet would charge for making a house call.

binbob
08-Apr-09, 09:04

why do u think they are goingb to the vet?????;)

joxville
08-Apr-09, 09:22

Vistravi suggested that perhaps the dog was going to the vet,piratelassie was just responding to it. The dog may be going to the bingo-it's a little known fact that dogs like bingo. The only problem is when they get a win..they shout KENNEL, which confuses people! :D

Shabbychic
08-Apr-09, 10:23
My dog Dougie quite often nips on the bus to meet his mates in Thurso. He always wears his hoodie though, so the driver isn't quite sure what he is, so he gets away with it.;)

northener
08-Apr-09, 10:49

Sooner have dog hairs than Scabies...stop yooomans getting on the bus is what I say.
I've never seen a dog vandalising the seats, chucking food everywhere or getting drunk and abusing staff and passengers...well, not often, anyway.

What about an Ostrich with a wooden leg and wearing a fur coat?

Julia
08-Apr-09, 11:42
I don't know the fares but, if it is a King Charles spaniel should travel free....something to do with a charter............:confused

I'm quite sure dogs are allowed but only at the driver's discretion, I had a right job getting my Cavalier King Charles on a bus once from Inverness to Wick.

northener
08-Apr-09, 12:22
I'm quite sure dogs are allowed but only at the driver's discretion, I had a right job getting my Cavalier King Charles on a bus once from Inverness to Wick.

Personally, I think members of the public should be only allowed on at the drivers discretion....

"Oi! You with the bad haircut and no fashion sense! OFF!":Razz

"What! You want Gaelic roadsigns in Caithness? OFF!"

"Call yersel' a King Charles spaniel? You look all like him! OFF!"

I think I'd make a good bus driver.

Kodiak
08-Apr-09, 12:29

As long as there is no Woodworm in the Wooden Leg then it should be OK :D

Julia
08-Apr-09, 13:19
snip>What about an Ostrich with a wooden leg and wearing a fur coat?

Only faux fur I hope!

Vistravi
08-Apr-09, 13:23

Well you can pay the fee for the house visit if you want. I'm most certainly not as vet bils are high enough as it is. If a dog or cat needs to see the vet urgently and can't move then there is no added stress of actually going to the vets. Animals need injections and regular health checks as they get older. I'd sooner take my cats on the bus than pay double the fee for a visit jus to get them checked over.
You obv don't have pets at all as otherwise you'd never have posted that post or your previous post about allergys. I suggest if you don't know what youre talking about don't bother talking bout it.[disgust]

joxville
08-Apr-09, 14:53
You're being ridiculous, why would an ostrich have a fur coat? Did he get shaved by his mates after a night on the drink? :)

The dog had good sense-I wouldn't fancy a trip to Wick either. [lol]

Iris
08-Apr-09, 15:03
Not sure you would get a vet up here to do a house call for a domestic animal.
Now a coo, well that would be a sight to see on a bus!
I did see six sheep in the back of an audi once.........

binbob
08-Apr-09, 16:23
Not sure you would get a vet up here to do a house call for a domestic animal.
Now a coo, well that would be a sight to see on a bus!
I did see six sheep in the back of an audi once.........

oh,yes u can get vets doing housecalls.my 4 dogs had their vaccs. done at home last year.had 3 housecalls during the night too.

easier to get a vet to do a housecall than a dr. up here.[lol]

Iris
08-Apr-09, 16:30
oh,yes u can get vets doing housecalls.my 4 dogs had their vaccs. done at home last year.had 3 housecalls during the night too.

easier to get a vet to do a housecall than a dr. up here.[lol]
I'd much rather go to the vet than the doctor!

cazmanian_minx
08-Apr-09, 18:00
Well, you're all safe now - Smokey and I had a successful bus trip to Thurso and back and won't be needing to do it again, as his leg will be better by the time the car next needs to go in and we can go for a long walk by the river instead :)

binbob
08-Apr-09, 18:45
Well, you're all safe now - Smokey and I had a successful bus trip to Thurso and back and won't be needing to do it again, as his leg will be better by the time the car next needs to go in and we can go for a long walk by the river instead :)

really glad to hear all is well.stay well,smokey.;)

Whitewater
08-Apr-09, 21:37
I find this thread very funny. This brings to mind a true story about a dog that used the bus service to get round the town. The poor dog is dead now. However, this dog belonged to the previous owners of the Mountain Dew pub in Smith Tr. He was a randy so and so and when the scent of a bitch in heat was blown/wafted over the harbour, he would hop onto the local bus, never paid his fare, (didn't carry a purse) got to the other side of the town and disembarked, (I guess where the scent was at it's strongest), completed the remainder of the search on foot until he caught up with the object of his affection, done his business and caught the bus back home. These journeys used to take several days though, as he would lie in waiting rain, hail, or snow until the mission was completed. He became quite a well known traveller on the local service, was too quick for the drivers to catch or do anything about, he never made a mess or annoyed the fare paying passengers, but sometimes on his return the driver had to lift him off at the nearest stop to Smith Tr.

Dadie
08-Apr-09, 21:44
If I used the bus service I would be happier to sit near a dog rather than someone listening to music on their mp3 turned up just loud enough to be annoying or talking on their mobile phone...you know the type of conversations....im on the bus..etc...etc...

piratelassie
08-Apr-09, 23:30
What if its vet day and the owner has to ake their dog or cat on the bus to get to the vets as they don't have a car or someone who can take them in?
As a owner of 2 cats and living in inverness where i have to take the bus as i don't have my license yet i will be taking the bus regardless of whetere or not anyone on the bus has alergys to them. my pets health will come before this political correct nonsense [disgust]

Well said jox, the world has gone too political correct and too soft.
Why not get the vet to make a house call, as I am sure the animals will get stressed out on public transport..:confused

Vistravi
09-Apr-09, 18:13
Why not get the vet to make a house call, as I am sure the animals will get stressed out on public transport..:confused

I replyed to your last post, have a look on page 2 of this thread. I'm not repeating myself.

piratelassie
10-Apr-09, 23:39
Must admit, I took my lab on a bus many years ago, and also on the train,think I had to pay full fare on the train, but that was before I learnt to drive and had to travel 170 miles. ....;)

Mik.M.
11-Apr-09, 07:57
[quote=northener;530322]Personally, I think members of the public should be only allowed on at the drivers discretion....

"Oi! You with the bad haircut and no fashion sense! OFF!":Razz

"What! You want Gaelic roadsigns in Caithness? OFF!"

"Call yersel' a King Charles spaniel? You look all like him! OFF!"

If only.............

Miss Mack
23-Apr-09, 17:08

Oh for goodness sake calm down:roll:!

Miss Mack
23-Apr-09, 17:14
eigh, dont know, give us a clue?????

Miss Mack
23-Apr-09, 17:19
Well you can pay the fee for the house visit if you want. I'm most certainly not as vet bils are high enough as it is. If a dog or cat needs to see the vet urgently and can't move then there is no added stress of actually going to the vets. Animals need injections and regular health checks as they get older. I'd sooner take my cats on the bus than pay double the fee for a visit jus to get them checked over.
You obv don't have pets at all as otherwise you'd never have posted that post or your previous post about allergys. I suggest if you don't know what youre talking about don't bother talking bout it.[disgust]
They have 4 lovely pets, cant you realize when your being wound up!!!!;)

joxville
23-Apr-09, 19:02

Oh for goodness sake calm down:roll:!

I wasn't wound up, I was pointing out the ridiculousness of the situation, maybe I should have added a smiley then you would have known I was jesting.;)