PDA

View Full Version : How did you choose your pet?

Iris
05-Apr-09, 12:45
Well as it says, How did you choose your pet?
Was it the puppy eyes that got you or the wee one at the back getting pushed around?
Also how did you choose the type of pet? There are lots of people about who have out of the ordinary pets? Why choose that one?

justine
05-Apr-09, 13:12
I never have. i let my pet choose me.

But the exception is my snake, he was chosen for his colours, and his need to be with humans. He loves being out with me curled around my neck and shoulders.:cool:

ciderally
05-Apr-09, 13:13
my two are rescued...but they arrived at the door and ended up staying..that was 8 years ago

hotrod4
05-Apr-09, 13:20
We chose our papillon because she was the ideal type of dog for us, i.e no hassle easy to look after and I chose my dragon because he was the coolest animal I've ever seen!!!! he is such a timid animal and loves being out of his viv and wandering around, he is so laid back he's almost horizontal!![lol]

porshiepoo
05-Apr-09, 13:23
Wowsa, where to start and which animal.
My latest boy, Huntly, chose me. I was fortunate enough to be able to pick from a very large litter and deliberately did not want to know which was the only boy as I knew I would be automatically drawn to him. One little pup however followed me around and sat quietly by me the whole time and TBH it probably took me all of 5 minutes to choose him. I was very chuffed that he happened to be the boy too. :) :)

teenybash
05-Apr-09, 13:27
All of my pets, except one, came to me one way or another. My chosen pet is a Hinny that stood on her own at a horse fair. She shone like a bright new penny in the sunshine and was so beautiful, I immediately bought her.....that was over twenty years ago and I love her to bits.
My unusual character is a Rook...injured by the roadside and now has been with me ten years...has never flown because the top joint in her wing was destroyed but, she is happy and healthy and definately rules the roost.:)

justine
05-Apr-09, 14:49
We chose our papillon because she was the ideal type of dog for us, i.e no hassle easy to look after and I chose my dragon because he was the coolest animal I've ever seen!!!! he is such a timid animal and loves being out of his viv and wandering around, he is so laid back he's almost horizontal!![lol]

what size viv have you got. we are in the middle of building one for the snakes we have. Are beardies good for kids as i have a dughter who would like one but im not sure wether to get a gehko or beardy

hotrod4
05-Apr-09, 16:02
what size viv have you got. we are in the middle of building one for the snakes we have. Are beardies good for kids as i have a dughter who would like one but im not sure wether to get a gehko or beardy
my viv is a 4ft one. They are very timid and like to be handled,we were going to buy a gecko but decided on the beardie as the breeder told us they like being handled wheras geckos are more secretive and dont like handling as much. They are so much fun and gets handled by all 3 of my kids.

emszxr
05-Apr-09, 16:18
my collie i took as was the runt and very unusual colour, all white apart from black eye and ear.
cocker as i have always thought they were great natured dogs. its the kids dog, and they can haul her around and she is great with them.
1 cat was rescued as a tiny kitten in winter. other 2 were just chosen cause they were nice.
2 snakes were rescued, 1 bought for oh as he always wanted a royal
terrapins were rescued.
all others were just chosen cause i liked them, rabbits, ferrets, chickens, ducks, fish
the pig and sheep are for the pot.

cuddlepop
05-Apr-09, 16:38
My two just choose us.

The older of our collies just kept appearing at our door having ran away from my X.s girlfriends home..eneogh said.;)
The other was posted in the pet section looking to be rehomed and i just got their first.:D

Iris
06-Apr-09, 12:28
My dogs chose me, my ferrets I chose or have had them dumped on me because people couldn.t be bothered with them anymore.

cat
06-Apr-09, 14:39
both labs were in huge litters so i just sat on the floor and said puppy and took which one came to me,first was my boy,now sadly gone,the other was a bitch,now 11 and still like a puppy!
my basset wasnt my choice of breed,but i got talked into it,so picked her out of a litter of 10 in a pic by email,wasnt sure i would know which was her when we went to perth to collect her and as both labs were good choices i sat in their garden and she came to me,prob as she was the biggest and was looking for food,again!!
my first horse,was the only one i could afford(i was 12)and had saved for years.
next horse,i didnt really like,but she kept on proving me wrong by looking after me so well everytime i went to try her out that i bought her.
everything else just kinda came here and never left,im a soft touch:lol:

young_fishin_neep
06-Apr-09, 21:25
snakes- tj i bought as i really wanted a snake he was my first

koruza was offerd to me as i knew the person that owned him and i fell in love with him as he is pink and white!!

the dog keira - i had been looking for a dog or ages and when i met her i knew she was my dog, and she belonged to me, when i finally got the offer of her i couldnt turn her down

xxxx

Liz
06-Apr-09, 22:21
My cats were strays which I 'fostered' and they never left!:lol:

We went to see a litter of Shelties and there were only two boys who looked alike. So the one we went for was the one who nuzzled into my sister when she held him and that is my darling Benjy!:D

Dadie
06-Apr-09, 23:43
Poppy was rescued, she chose us, not the other way round!
Frodo was free with a sachet of wormer but had won Laurens heart then ours...and the fish just sort of happened...

ShelleyCowie
07-Apr-09, 12:46
Well i never chose Fintan, My OH did.

But the gerbils, i looked at them and saw how energetic they were. Their colour caught my eye too! :)

My old horse Norton, he stood out like a sore thumb really! Looked at several horses but when i saw him, he was the right one! he had not been ridden in over a year. Had never done much. When we got him to Halkirk from Inverness, i rode him and he threw me off! I knew from then on he was a keeper! My kinda horse! :)

My dog Judy (lives with my step dad) she was a beautiful puppy! She had an identical brother, but she was lovely! Grumpy sod now tho! lol!

I have too many animals to list i think!!! :confused

mrs and mr brown
07-Apr-09, 13:08
well my dog i picked him it was the little sad eyes and the cuteness of him and i thought he is the dog for us.

our chinese hamster sammy well daughter chose him in pets at home he was running around and she saw him and was delighted,
our gunnie pig well that was love at first site, in pets at home getting things for sammy and looked in the pens and saw this small thing with long blonde and ginger hair that was looking at us, and i said to OH, oh look at that is that not the lovely gunnie pig ever, and decided we would love it,

well we have a little fish called iggle piggle but there not much really to say about her just that when we saw her she was so different from the rest in the tank, so we took her home.

so thats all our animals so far think thats enough however havnt been to pets at home latley so might update soon,:lol: he he hexxxxxxx

Iffy
07-Apr-09, 15:45
Our "Bairn" was chosen by my OH before we got married and he lived on his own in a rented house.

At the time he was a bar-man and a local lassie, who lived on a farm, had a feral cat with kittens.... the rest as they say is history.

We've been married now for almost 12 years, so "The Bairn" has always been part of our family.... shes 15 years old now !!!