PDA

View Full Version : favourite words.

balto
05-Apr-09, 10:57
Was speaking to a lady yesterday, and one of my kids mentioned the word stuff, the lady said that this was one of her favourite words, so it got me thinking if anyone else had a favourite word, i dont think i have one, well not that i can think of at the moment.

so whats your favourite word, and why.

hotrod4
05-Apr-09, 12:41
My favourite word is numptie, its such a cool word and does exactly what it says on the tin!!![lol]

ciderally
05-Apr-09, 13:09
hunkydory....

cuddlepop
05-Apr-09, 15:03
If I'm trying to discribe something that I dont know the word for its a "hoocky thing",usually involves DIY in some discription,

just be glad your not my Oh .:lol:

hotrod4
05-Apr-09, 16:00
another word I love is "sponger" it conjures up images of a daft sponge!!:cool:

butterfly
05-Apr-09, 16:02
Ticketyboo!:lol:

hotrod4
05-Apr-09, 16:03
Ticketyboo!:lol:
thats a cracker!!![lol] Parliano Glasgow always makes me laugh.

scorrie
05-Apr-09, 17:44
Quincunx, which is the pattern of the dots on the 5 side of a die, is one of my favourites. Not a bad score in scrabble either!

tonkatojo
05-Apr-09, 18:04
GETTERFER YA BASSA as used by Billy connolly many years ago

Anne x
05-Apr-09, 18:06
I use Foosum (dirty ) and Trock or troc (Rubbish ) quite a lot in fact I got asked only the other day what one of them meant

scorrie
05-Apr-09, 18:21
I use Foosum (dirty )

One of my mates at Dounreay used to use the word "Bowfin'" instead. I'd never heard of it, or "Gowpin'", which meant your head was throbbing!! (he was from Ayrshire)

htwood
05-Apr-09, 18:46
The word Hurpling (limping) is a good one, descriptive. Also like Preposterous espec when the person saying it uses their lips to full advantage lol
Also like the words grace, waterlily, and downhome, just for the way they sound.

im behind you
05-Apr-09, 18:55
ow vow & horse on

Rheghead
05-Apr-09, 19:08
Brossen which means full.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Apr-09, 19:58
I like the word qualms,it makes a negative word sound quite positive.

EXCEPT,in a seafood restaraunt.The waiter might think you have a speech impediment.

the poacher
05-Apr-09, 20:15
my favourite word has to be

MINGING
use it all the time on the kids !!

the charlatans
05-Apr-09, 20:48
I like the word 'bowge' when talking about ones tummy.

and i like the word Stuff too Balto, it describes an awful lot of eh stuff...

binbob
05-Apr-09, 21:08
pillock is mine..especially when i see idiots trying to drive....or not.[lol]

ShelleyCowie
05-Apr-09, 22:17
Im still tryin to think o ma favourite word....there are so many! :confused

Invisible
05-Apr-09, 22:27
favourite word would be cheil or aye

balto
05-Apr-09, 22:28
Balto it might be worth googling the meaning of your favourite word, cos the definition I know of is a long way from yours and its a disgusting horrible word - in my opinion!
deleated it, in casw it offends anyone, got another fav word free lol:Razz:Razz

changilass
05-Apr-09, 22:36
Agree 100% with that word - me likes FREE too.

wifie
05-Apr-09, 22:38
My favourite word is numptie, its such a cool word and does exactly what it says on the tin!!![lol]

Aye you look a right one in yer avatar! :Razz

golach
05-Apr-09, 23:22
my favourite word is Orger....I am one 'an will always be one

changilass
05-Apr-09, 23:27
Awwwww Golach, bless

joxville
05-Apr-09, 23:28
my favourite word is Orger....I am one 'an will always be one

I'm one at the moment, quite happy to say so too, but eventually something else will come along that will take me away from here.....I've lived various places for the last 7 years, had various jobs too.....so one never knows when or what will make me stop posting?

teenybash
05-Apr-09, 23:35
Thingydoodle....when I have forgotten the name of something or someone............eg...'You know wee thingydoodle wi the mole just above her right eyebrow that always wears bright red lipstick.....................:Razz

Metalattakk
06-Apr-09, 02:23
I'll throw in 'sesquipedalian' at this juncture, just for laughs. Another one that does what is says on the tin. ;)

Always been fond of 'rapscallion' too, along with 'scudding' (as in clouds scudding across the sky). Let's face it, ye canna beat a good scud! :D

Obfuscatory, deodorant, supercilious, sibilance (along with plosive, of course) and intransigent also tickle me, but mainly due to their pronunciations.

Enunciate (ooh, there's another one!) them properly, and it's like a workout for your mooth. ;)

jock leith
06-Apr-09, 03:08
OXTER = armpit, is a word that always makes people smile when i use it,anywhere in the world.
JL:lol:

horseman
06-Apr-09, 05:45
One of my g/daughters always makes me smile when she comes out with 'minging or 'orgasmic.

George Brims
07-Apr-09, 00:45
Beer!

Scorrie, noticed your sig. Actually Sonny Bono hit a Ponderosa Pine. My ski instructor pointed it out to me, helpfully, as we went up by it on the lift, right before skiing past it on the way down. He must have been sick the day they covered "Inspire confidence in your students".

buddyrich
07-Apr-09, 00:50
I like "treachery". I just like the way it sounds. Plus it has sinister connotations.

Traitorous is also nice.

And theres always Cazart.

Gene Hunt
07-Apr-09, 01:36
Gimlet.

We nicknamed a lad in the pub this a while back in honour of his stature and social skills and it took him a while to catch on to the meaning we intended. This just made it all the more appropriate really.

wee sparkle
07-Apr-09, 01:42
I love it when my Papa asks me for "The themmit"..... usually meaning the remote! :lol:

I also love it when people say...."yee know yin thing" haha

Or "thingymajig"..... im bad for that one if i forget the name of something! :lol:

Another one that springs to mind is....' shooosht!'.. as in to be quiet! haha:p

Fantoosh
07-Apr-09, 10:30
hahaha Ive always loved the word PUMPKIN. God knows why though, its just nice. :lol:

justine
07-Apr-09, 12:18
Ok so i like the word, "PERFECTOMONDO" taken from TMNT.

ShelleyCowie
07-Apr-09, 12:39
Ok i have got it! My favourite word is............Discombobulated! Its not exactly a word but i love the way it just rolls out.....say it with me...Discombobulated! :Razz

scorrie
07-Apr-09, 14:46
Beer!

Scorrie, noticed your sig. Actually Sonny Bono hit a Ponderosa Pine. My ski instructor pointed it out to me, helpfully, as we went up by it on the lift, right before skiing past it on the way down. He must have been sick the day they covered "Inspire confidence in your students".

Cheers George. Sadly, Ponderosa Pine doesn't work in with any songs. Also, wasn't Ponderosa Pine more of a "Bonanza" tree? (I'm guessing you are old enough to remember Bonanza, the Western TV show about a 51 year old man and his three 47 year old sons!!)

In any case, it has been claimed Sonny Bono was assassinated by hitmen:-

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23483093-12377,00.html

joxville
07-Apr-09, 16:02
I love you.

Whether it's from a parent, partner or child, it really says so much.

justine
07-Apr-09, 17:51
I love you.

agree 1000% on that one, no better words to hear.

balto
07-Apr-09, 18:57
Ok i have got it! My favourite word is............Discombobulated! Its not exactly a word but i love the way it just rolls out.....say it with me...Discombobulated! :Razz
found myself trying t say it lol, so shelley whats the meaning.[lol]

justine
07-Apr-09, 18:59
think she just likes the name BOB :lol: it keeps coming up. thats what shes calling my fish:eek:

Iris
07-Apr-09, 19:04
Frausty.
Sludgeblossom. (My dad used to call my mum this when he couldn't remember her name when introducing her to people!)
Murky.
Oodles.

George Brims
07-Apr-09, 19:08
Cheers George. Sadly, Ponderosa Pine doesn't work in with any songs. Also, wasn't Ponderosa Pine more of a "Bonanza" tree? (I'm guessing you are old enough to remember Bonanza, the Western TV show about a 51 year old man and his three 47 year old sons!!)

In any case, it has been claimed Sonny Bono was assassinated by hitmen:-

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23483093-12377,00.html
Ponderosa Pines are very common in all the higher parts of California/Nevada. The Ponderosa Ranch was very close to Lake Tahoe, where Sonny died skiing. I am certainly old enough to remember the show (and it's still on in reruns over here!).

the poacher
07-Apr-09, 20:50
Fantabular !

just another one of my favourite words !

the poacher
07-Apr-09, 20:59
I love you.

yip justine is right you cant beat them words at all

joxville
08-Apr-09, 23:56
I like traipse too.

Anne x
09-Apr-09, 00:00
tonight I am trachled !!!

Bobinovich
09-Apr-09, 00:04
Wheesht is one of my faves :D

Mother Bear
09-Apr-09, 00:14
I like that one too Bob...and another word I like is.......camouflage......just like the sound of it...anyone remember the song?

joxville
09-Apr-09, 00:16
Aye, here you go M.B. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFYxCIr-Byo

Mother Bear
09-Apr-09, 00:25
aw, thanks for that jox.....took me back a few years!

northener
09-Apr-09, 09:16
Indubitably

Phalanx

Rumbustiosness

Smeg

Dadie
09-Apr-09, 15:17
Scunnered
dreight
manky
snotrag

mrsinkstack
09-Apr-09, 15:29
Oxters ;) Away and wash yer oxters ;)

Dadie
09-Apr-09, 15:44
When baking ...i measure in shuggles....and a dod o at...and a sloosh o at.... and a wee bitty o at....

I have given up trying to tell my hubby the way I can do it by eye!

and have to sloosh, shuggle....and cut wee bittys then weigh them to give out as a recipe.... which never works out the same anyway:lol:

northener
09-Apr-09, 15:55
You can't beat a good 'Woody' word...here's some more:

http://www.infectiousvideos.com/index.php?p=showvid&sid=05058&makefeature=1

Alice in Blunderland
09-Apr-09, 16:10
I love you.

Awww Jox you are such a romantic ........... :lol:

Thats so sweet. Would give you good rep for that one but alas I need to spread myself around a bit first.;) A bit like margarine eh.

northener
09-Apr-09, 16:44

Thats so sweet. Would give you good rep for that one but alas I need to spread myself around a bit first.;) A bit like margarine eh.

Gawd, don't encourage him. I fink I'm gonna be sick...........

He'll be singing 'We Are The World' or summat next.:eek:

Alice in Blunderland
09-Apr-09, 17:20

You dont have to go far for a bin to spuke in then ;) :lol:

I know, I know hes gonna have difficulty getting through the chatroom door now.

Venture
09-Apr-09, 17:50
You dont have to go far for a bin to spuke in then ;) :lol:

I know, I know hes gonna have difficulty getting through the chatroom door now.

What do you mean "now". It's had to be replaced three times already.;)

Iffy
09-Apr-09, 17:55
Chatty:

That defines about everything - I used to use it for a calculator in my office.... actuallly it offended SOME people - never knew why!!!:confused

Those who REALLY knew me some years ago, knew exactly what I meant when I asked for the "chatty" !!! Great days ....

scorrie
09-Apr-09, 19:45
Doobrie

Hoochin'

Cack

Stocious

Whitewater
09-Apr-09, 20:05
Wha are yee "Gowcan" at (who are you looking at)

ShelleyCowie
09-Apr-09, 20:42
found myself trying t say it lol, so shelley whats the meaning.[lol]

Means (to me) all muddled up. Like confused...but just a better word for it!

think she just likes the name BOB :lol: it keeps coming up. thats what shes calling my fish:eek:

Your fish is called bob! I have named him. Im sure the fish will love the name! Try it...he will do a wee back flip!

balto
09-Apr-09, 21:06
Your fish is called bob! I have named him. Im sure the fish will love the name! Try it...he will do a wee back flip![/quote] oh you are funny lol.

Elenna
09-Apr-09, 22:31
I like quite a few of the ones already mentioned, along with:

mystique
syllabub
crackle
windowsill (you have to say it slowly and enunciate each syllable to get the full effect! :lol:)
and (don't laugh)...gerbil!

joxville
09-Apr-09, 22:37

Thanks, that's very kind of you-I'll accept an i.o.u. ;)

joxville
09-Apr-09, 22:41

I've got the song sheets ready, yours will arrive shortly. [lol]