PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Virus Warning

motopitcrew
25-Feb-06, 18:26
Do not open any message with an attachment called 'Invitation' as this is a computer virus called an Olympic Torch which will destroy your computer.

angela5
25-Feb-06, 18:54
Do not open any message with an attachment called 'Invitation' as this is a computer virus called an Olympic Torch which will destroy your computer.

Thanks for that motopitcrew..my computer is playing up at the moment just closes down all the time..very annoying.

badger
25-Feb-06, 19:23
If you don't have an anti-virus that updates all the time you are living very dangerously. Plus firewall - even Windows is better than nothing. I had a proper paid-for firewall on my last computer and initially set it to show all activity. It was very scary - somebody pinging all the time and there was a map to see where the other computers were. Somebody out there is always watching you :roll:

nightowl
25-Feb-06, 19:27
Could this be a hoax?
http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/243068.htm

cuddlepop
25-Feb-06, 20:08
Viruses are terrible we've got spy ware doctor it seems better than norton:D

badger
25-Feb-06, 20:13
Could this be a hoax?
http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/243068.htm

Probably - they usually are.

krieve
25-Feb-06, 20:14
Its just a hoax then my computer has had in the last 2 weeks 2 trojan horses .grrr it makes me mad

MGB1979
25-Feb-06, 20:32
It will 'destroy my computer'? LOL! Good one.

MadPict
25-Feb-06, 20:57
Viruses are terrible we've got spy ware doctor it seems better than norton:D

Think you will need good anti-virus as well as there is a difference between viruses and spyware.
Spyware does not self replicate - it just infects your machine. Viruses on the other hand will spread to everyone you have contact with if you're not protected.
If you don't want to pay for anti-virus software try AVG Free Edition - www.grisoft.com

obiron
25-Feb-06, 21:03
cheers for the address for avg its one my sister uses and she swears by it. were still using our free 90 day trial and its working well i hope.

ice box
25-Feb-06, 21:05
Its just a hoax then my computer has had in the last 2 weeks 2 trojan horses .grrr it makes me mad
I had that as well last week but i have a good anti spy .

motopitcrew
25-Feb-06, 21:14
Treat this as a hoax if you like but it has been reported by microsoft and McAfee as the most destructive virus ever.and that there is no repair yet

cuddlepop
26-Feb-06, 00:42
Thanks Madpict,were having a discussion now,this is not an arguement with mr pop[lol]

Niall Fernie
26-Feb-06, 10:49
Hoaxes make for very irratating threads!