PDA

View Full Version : trinky

im behind you
04-Apr-09, 20:10
i was going to take kids down to the trinky yesterday with the good weather we had but was not sure if it ever got cleaned up or not after the oil spill can anyone say for sure if it did cheers

shazzap
04-Apr-09, 20:55
i was going to take kids down to the trinky yesterday with the good weather we had but was not sure if it ever got cleaned up or not after the oil spill can anyone say for sure if it did cheers

Whats the Trinky ?????????

northener
04-Apr-09, 21:16
http://www.caithness.org/photos/fpb/december2005/trinkie/t5.jpg

It's an outdoor swimming pool just South of Wick. The sea fills it up at high tide.

the_count
04-Apr-09, 21:22
i know that nothing had been done last time i wet down there but that was a few months ago now, but i would imagine the vigourous weather we've had in the last few months would have done the councils job for them lol[lol]

shazzap
04-Apr-09, 21:59
http://www.caithness.org/photos/fpb/december2005/trinkie/t5.jpg

It's an outdoor swimming pool just South of Wick. The sea fills it up at high tide.
thank you for that Northerner when you say just outside of Wick can you be a bit more specific please.

butterfly
04-Apr-09, 22:03
thank you for that Northerner when you say just outside of Wick can you be a bit more specific please.

It's at South Head,Wick.

shazzap
04-Apr-09, 23:08
It's at South Head,Wick.

Thanking you Butterfly and Northerner forgot to say like the photo

pat
04-Apr-09, 23:16
council do not clean this up - it is done voluntarily by folk giving up of their precious spare time to help their community.

Where they get the paint and equipment to do it I do not know but know there are a group of volunteers who clean this pool up every year - how about going along this year and giving a hand, am sure all volunteers will be gladly accepted.

I do not live in Wick but certainly appreciate all the volunteers efforts to keep the pool clean, the fact they raise the money to do the work in the first place and I do appreciate all the hard work which must go into doing this every year without so much as a thank you for most of the general public.

shazzap
04-Apr-09, 23:33
council do not clean this up - it is done voluntarily by folk giving up of their precious spare time to help their community.

Where they get the paint and equipment to do it I do not know but know there are a group of volunteers who clean this pool up every year - how about going along this year and giving a hand, am sure all volunteers will be gladly accepted.

I do not live in Wick but certainly appreciate all the volunteers efforts to keep the pool clean, the fact they raise the money to do the work in the first place and I do appreciate all the hard work which must go into doing this every year without so much as a thank you for most of the general public.

I would like nothing better then be able to go and help but i would not be able to due to ill health. Is this ground council property if so isn't it their responsibility

butterfly
05-Apr-09, 01:15
You are right there Pat.I think his name is Mr Sutherland,the same guy who went out with his helpers to repair Whaligoe Steps at Ulbster after it was vandalised.He also cleaned up the North Bath's too.

munchkin
05-Apr-09, 07:17
did i miss miss the nice weather it was thick for and rain all day:roll:

sjr014
05-Apr-09, 07:52
Having learned 2 swim in the Trinkie, id say its maybe a wee bit chilly for swimming in yet! Try July! But don't think it has been cleaned out yet, don't think it was done last year due to the vandilism at Whalligoe, as Ian didnt have the time as essential repairs at Whalligoe were priority but i could b wrong.

Would happily give up a few hours 2 help out, have very fond memories of a few whole summers spent out there!

pat
05-Apr-09, 09:12
Shazzap - The ground does not belong to the council - it is tidal area.

Wick/Pultney folk build this and the North Baths many years ago - long before indoor pools were even considered up here.

As bairns we enjoyed the fresh air whilst we learnt to swim, shivered after a quick dip but soon warmed up with the heat from the rocks or running around, little shop which used to be there to buy a couple of sweets, cup of squash or cup of tea for mum or granny. The long sunny summer days (always remember the sun shining in those days!) spent walking to and fro the Trinkie, the days seemed so long, you could do so many things.

Mid-night dips on the shortest night - once you were a bit older - water was surprisingly warm at night in June.

Yes it was Ian Sutherland - Wick Heritage Centre folk I think organised it - must double check and see about a small donation of money to them to help with this project as I can not guarantee to offer elbow grease and a pair of willing hands when the tide and time is right for doing this work.

Come on folks - volunteer your services for a good cause - have a bit of exercise in the fresh air whilst doing something worthwhile.

shazzap
05-Apr-09, 10:08

Wick/Pultney folk build this and the North Baths many years ago - long before indoor pools were even considered up here.

As bairns we enjoyed the fresh air whilst we learnt to swim, shivered after a quick dip but soon warmed up with the heat from the rocks or running around, little shop which used to be there to buy a couple of sweets, cup of squash or cup of tea for mum or granny. The long sunny summer days (always remember the sun shining in those days!) spent walking to and fro the Trinkie, the days seemed so long, you could do so many things.

Mid-night dips on the shortest night - once you were a bit older - water was surprisingly warm at night in June.

Yes it was Ian Sutherland - Wick Heritage Centre folk I think organised it - must double check and see about a small donation of money to them to help with this project as I can not guarantee to offer elbow grease and a pair of willing hands when the tide and time is right for doing this work.

Come on folks - volunteer your services for a good cause - have a bit of exercise in the fresh air whilst doing something worthwhile.

You sound like you have many fond memories of the trinky Pat.
Who in their right mind would want to vandalize Whaligoe or anything else is beyond me.

hotrod4
05-Apr-09, 12:44
Who in their right mind would want to vandalize Whaligoe or anything else is beyond me.
The yobs love to attack anything that cant fight back, its a sad world we live in.

ciderally
05-Apr-09, 13:07

this brings it all back...cheers

Venture
05-Apr-09, 13:43
http://www.caithness.org/community/environment/friendstrinkienorthbaths/index.htm

Here is a link to information for those of you that might be able help and pictures of both the Trinkie and the North Baths for those who are new to the area.;)

hotrod4
05-Apr-09, 13:56
I remember skinny dipping in the trinkie in the summer when I was a "wee" lad;)
Brings back memories of happy times.

wickscorrie
05-Apr-09, 21:31
dinna ken about the trinkie but the north bath was cleaned of the oil spill last year and then white washed, we were up at staxigoe harbour on tuesday past and there is still traces of the oil lingering, as the bairns jeans will testify too after clambering on the rocks.

horseman
06-Apr-09, 06:07
Super piccy' northener-lots of memories there.
Have saved it to my favourites.

arana negra
06-Apr-09, 09:52
Thanks for the photo and the link to more info. Great idea and well done to the freends for all that hard work. Is it well used by locals now ? I am sure I have seen similar baths in other areas ( trying remember where, I may have a look through my photos)

jock leith
06-Apr-09, 22:32

PAT you brought so many fond memories of the Trinkie,we lived in Kennedy Terrace and all us kids would walk past Martin's Farm on the way to our favourite haunt.We would spend all day there,and yes it seemed as though every day was warm and sunny.The Midnight bathing was a highlight of our summer.Do you remember the Sweetie Shop that was there.Only a wooden shed really.There was a Shop at the top of Kennedy Terrace in those days.
regards J Leith

pat
07-Apr-09, 10:05
yes remember taking ages to go past Martins Farm, with the hens, ponies etc, picking marsh marigolds?, spending hours searching for a four leaf clover, sooking at the different coloured clovers, tadpoling in the ditches, sooking sourags, blowing the grass to see who could blow the loudest and longest.
The shop at the start of the road on the right, used to always try to sweets bought for us there (did not happen often in those days), it was a very handy shop for everyone who lived up there or passed on way to Trinkie or Grey Bools - no need to trek to the Coop next to D Steven & Son garage on Roxburgh Rd.
The shop at the Trinkie was on the flat concrete bit - no water supply but they used to have tea available for the 'older generation only' but children were able to buy a cup of diluting juice there - they stored the water in large containers which were brought down every day, ice cream if you were lucky too - liked the sweet choice in there too.

Back to the Trinkie - hope folk do lend a hand this year to get it cleaned up, may encourage a few more youngsters to enjoy the fresh air and freedom.