PDA

View Full Version : Where to go

porshiepoo
04-Apr-09, 19:00
Righto, my mums coming for a visit in June and I'm looking for ideas as to what we can do and places to go.
She's been before so we've done the Queen mums house and Dunrobin Castle and now I'm stuck.
I've looked at the Ranger walks for the time she's here in June and although my mums fit and likes to walk, I think they may just be too much.

I've heard the Whynot bar is a good place for food? Anyone been?
Any other ideas for places of interest?

changilass
04-Apr-09, 19:16
For a special treat take her over to Orkney, go on the Groats guided visit as they will show you lots of places and tell you all about them and you get some free time too.

dragonfly
04-Apr-09, 19:38
if in Thurso why not take her to Caithness Horizons (http://www.caithnesshorizons.co.uk/), they've a cafe in there too and its free to enter.

Kenn
04-Apr-09, 22:00
Can recommend Wick Heritage Centre, very interesting with knowlegable staff, especially if the weather is bad.

feegilmour
04-Apr-09, 23:19
wot about shin falls at lairg the salmon should b jumping by then and its all harrods stuff now good food 2 much better than ynot bar woz there few weeks ago and most food woz left

Aaldtimer
05-Apr-09, 02:32
Mary-Anne's Cottage at Dunnet is really worth seeing! Fascinating look into the not so distant past.

sjr014
05-Apr-09, 07:59
Yip Orkney makes for a great day u can do day trip on passenger ferry from Groats, they do an all day maxi tour or a shorter highlights tour, ive done the maxi and it was fab. Also gone over and just spent a day in Kirkwall.

Boat trips on the Rib at Groats are fab or there is a new 1 started at Wick last year Seacoast i think its called.

Waterlines at Lybster Harbour, lovely soup and homebaking there in the Summer.

Catrionas Spa at Lybster, for a bit of pampering!

porshiepoo
05-Apr-09, 08:28
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll start looking into them and seeing what's what. :)

badger
05-Apr-09, 18:21
Mary-Anne's Cottage at Dunnet is really worth seeing! Fascinating look into the not so distant past.

There's a page on the .org with lots of info. about Mary Ann's
http://www.caithness.org/community/museums/maryanncottage/index.htm

Julia
05-Apr-09, 20:30
How about...

Whalligoe Steps
Hill o many stanes
Camster cairns
Old Man of Wick
Trinkie
Sinclair & Girnigoe Castle
Reiss beach
Duncansby Head
Dunnet Head (most Northerly point in Britain)

And they are all free!