PDA

View Full Version : Sports Forum?

MGB1979
25-Feb-06, 12:25
I reckon this place would benefit from a sports section. It'd be good for discussing local teams and events, swapping racing tips and of course a bit of banter when the big games are on.

What do you think?

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 12:42
Fantastic Idea bud,:lol: Ive thought that myself a lot recently, It would be popular amongst us footy fans, Im sure of it
And maybe Id be able to get Wick academys score without getting negative posts about it.
Thanks man

Niall Fernie
25-Feb-06, 12:46
Due to the number of complaints about the recent football threads, I can only say no.

We dont mind topics about local sport, but the ones on the big football teams seem to sink into bigoted rubbish very quickly so from now on we will be removing any post relating to football. Sorry, but as the song goes "you did it to yourself...."

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 12:50
Due to the number of complaints about the recent football threads, I can only say no.

We dont mind topics about local sport, but the ones on the big football teams seem to sink into bigoted rubbish very quickly so from now on we will be removing any post relating to football. Sorry, but as the song goes "you did it to yourself...."

What about Academy Niall?? 1 man & his dog, No Bigotry ,but there is the rubbish football they play:p Can some1 still post answer to my usual whats the score thread or will it be removed & me Banned??

Niall Fernie
25-Feb-06, 12:52
Having previously run a forum for Academy I'm not keen, but we can only see how you go.

MGB1979
25-Feb-06, 12:52
Wouldn't it be better to put it (sports in general) in it's own section and have a sticky to say, 'no bigotry etc etc'?

Most of the football fans I've seen on here can give and take a bit of banter, as long as it doesn't get nasty then I can't see a problem. I think the non-sports fans would appreciate it as well.

I'm dissapointed that your dismissing this without so much as discussion. :confused

ice box
25-Feb-06, 12:53
Nice one niall hate football anyway lol

ice box
25-Feb-06, 12:55
What about Academy Niall?? 1 man & his dog, No Bigotry ,but there is the rubbish football they play:p Can some1 still post answer to my usual whats the score thread or will it be removed & me Banned??
Why dont you go to the match and that way you will know the score lol.

Rheghead
25-Feb-06, 12:57
I understand your sentiments entirely Niall, but there may be a way around the problem that will suit everyone. In a perfectly respectable forum called birdforum.net there is a section called 'ruffled feathers' where they can post without the 'polite language constraints' of the whole forum. To access this section, they have to subscribe separately with another password and username and it is invisible to the other birdforum members. Incidentally, I am not a member of 'ruffled feathers' because I am a nice little boy who watches his Ps&Qs:p

Niall Fernie
25-Feb-06, 12:57
Wouldn't it be better to put it in it's own section and have a sticky to say, 'no bigotry etc etc'?
erm, go read the rules. BTW "not keen" does not mean "no".

As for it not getting nasty, find me a football thread where no one has gotten nasty and I might be a little more convinced.

As far as I can remember we've not had many topics on anything other than the big footy teams, so if you all start discussing other sports (or local football/sports) then we'll consider a new forum.

Niall Fernie
25-Feb-06, 13:01
Rheghead, that might be a solution, but we've seen at least 4 new forums come and go in the county where people that were fed up with the rules here and wanted an anything goes forum, created their own. Where are they now?

Also there are hundreds of football forums out there that people could join and pass on to their caithness.org friends/rivals. (PMs would be best)

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 13:04
Why dont you go to the match and that way you will know the score lol.

I used to go home & away but im usually busy on a Saturday, working or playing with my bairns,Tend to go to cup games and Brora match.
Prefer to go to Ibrox though, better day out & craic on the bus is better .

Think you misunderstood me Niall, I just want to know the score for Academy if I havent already heard it, thats all.

Niall Fernie
25-Feb-06, 13:09
Academy scores and local sport is fine :)

MGB1979
25-Feb-06, 13:11
BTW "not keen" does not mean "no".

I was referring to the post where you said 'no', the 'not keen' post appeared as I was typing.

The football fans here would appreciate a dedicated forum and if that meant they had to self-moderate then I think people could learn to keep the bile off the forums. At least part of the problem is being mixed in with the general forum, non-football fans hop into threads for a dig and it creates tension. If you seperate it, complaints will almost certainly be reduced.

We've had threads about Rugby etc in the past and the football pub league results used to get posted on a regular basis. Then you have pub sports, that brings in the darts, snooker and pool communities, tournament advertising, results etc.

Build it, and they will come!:D

Niall Fernie
25-Feb-06, 13:20
Fair enough, I did say it, guess who's not had a 'net connection for 2 days [smirk]

ok, i'll have a think about it, but it won't be today as I'm really busy catching up.

Tymey
25-Feb-06, 14:14
The sport forum is a good idea so long as sport means sport and not just football.

The recent football threads seemed to degenerate into Rangers/Celtic bashing and nothing more.

There are and as an example, I use my current signature to show, more sports aside from football appreciated by people in the county.

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 14:34
Yeah, I watch cricket as well because Steve Harmison the fast Bowler comes from same place as my mam & Ive met him in the pub[lol]

MGB1979
26-Feb-06, 16:49
Bump for the Sunday crowd.