PDA

View Full Version : Siege in New York, USA

Kodiak
03-Apr-09, 18:38
Another incident in the USA where innocent people are being held Hostage. It looks like at least 13 people have been killed.

I do believe it is time for Mr Obama to get some form of Gun Control within the US. Or do you think it is too late for this now???

Watch the News Report Video and then post what you think

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7982444.stm

K

Whitewater
03-Apr-09, 20:36
The gun lobby is very powerful in America, it would be very dificult, even impossible to enforce.
Having said that, when nutters want to get a gun to do some killing they will get one, but I guess that there is always the chance that if a gun was not found too easily at hand it might just give the person a little longer to think about their intended actions and they may just change their mind.

Rheghead
03-Apr-09, 20:47
We have gun controls here but it doesn't stop a nutter going out and causing a bloodbath if they are determined enough. How many times have we had drugs related shootouts in the last few years and cop killings? It certainly isn't the typical boy-nextdoor type that is doing it but it is the new-kid-on the-block type.

Kodiak
03-Apr-09, 20:57
The Associated Press news agency has just reported that one Gunman has been found Dead inside the immigration centre in Binghamton.

The police are reported to have taken two other people from the building in plastic handcuffs.

Many people are reported to have been injured during the shooting, north-west of New York City.

So hopefully the Seige is now over, what a terrible world we live in.

Kenn
03-Apr-09, 22:20
Would that not mean a change in the constitution of The United States?
As I understand it the right to bear arms is written in. I have no idea what the procedure would be should President Obama ever decide to try and ammend it but think that he would be on a hiding to nowhere.
It horrifies me that ordinary people find it necessary to have weapons in the home,car and business place, the proliferation of gun ownership can only lead to more tragedies and it makes one wonder about the attitude of such people to their fellow human beings.
I would not wish to infer that we are perfect in this country, any gun crime is to be abhored and I appreciate that although the majority of us will never even have contact with weapons, unfortunately there is a minority that seem to think that it acceptable.