PDA

View Full Version : Meiklejohns

angela5
25-Feb-06, 00:00
What is happening to this shop? i went in there at tea-time tonight not a single packet of cigarettes, no bottles of juice, the shop is totally bare.
Is this shop up for sale or just had an increase in sales?

ice box
25-Feb-06, 00:09
What is happening to this shop? i went in there at tea-time tonight not a single packet of cigarettes, no bottles of juice, the shop is totally bare.
Well i heard if the person pays there bills they will get the stock . i've stopped going in there now there is nothing there any more it must cost more to pay the rate than what they must be selling it's a pitty it was a goood little shop .

erli
25-Feb-06, 00:09
The shop and the cafe are for sale.

ice box
25-Feb-06, 00:13
The shop and the cafe are for sale.
Hopfully the next person that buy it makes a better go of it

angela5
25-Feb-06, 00:22
It's been like that for while now..no stock then loads..:confused: wonder if the school kids have found somewhere else to purchase their fags..

krieve
25-Feb-06, 00:24
I have notice this also never alot of stock in the shop .

Cedric Farthsbottom III
25-Feb-06, 00:27
I have a really soft spot for this shop.It had the best selection o' sweeties fae the past.Midget gems,pontifract cakes,even wee bits o' Edinburgh Rock.The crisps selection was also magnifique!I heard that its for sale,but pleaaaaaase who ever takes it over please remember us auld types who love oor sweeties fae oor childhood.

Is it just my imagination or are biscuits,etc fae the past getting smaller,I remember the days when a Wagon Wheel used to take you weeks to eat!!:lol:

angela5
25-Feb-06, 00:31
I have a really soft spot for this shop.It had the best selection o' sweeties fae the past.Midget gems,pontifract cakes,even wee bits o' Edinburgh Rock.The crisps selection was also magnifique!I heard that its for sale,but pleaaaaaase who ever takes it over please remember us auld types who love oor sweeties fae oor childhood.

Is it just my imagination or are biscuits,etc fae the past getting smaller,I remember the days when a Wagon Wheel used to take you weeks to eat!!:lol:

Midget gems..yum..yes cedric the biscuits are getting smaller i remember when a whole rich tea would not dunk in my tea..now it falls in the cup:eyes . crisps are also less in the packets and chocolate bars have shrunk..do you remember the pkt of sweets called Spangles..my favourite..

erli
25-Feb-06, 00:36
Midget gems..yum..yes cedric the biscuits are getting smaller i remember when a whole rich tea would not dunk in my tea..now it falls in the cup:eyes . crisps are also less in the packets and chocolate bars have shrunk..do you remember the pkt of sweets called Spangles..my favourite..

I don't remember those but I remember Pacers, they were the same shape as chewits but had white and green stripes, they tasted minty......mmmmmmm.
Oh and Golden Cups, you don't get them anymore and remember the lemon sherbit dabs. yummy yummy!

2little2late
25-Feb-06, 00:45
If you really like traditional sweets try this.

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/

angela5
25-Feb-06, 00:48
I don't remember those but I remember Pacers, they were the same shape as chewits but had white and green stripes, they tasted minty......mmmmmmm.
Oh and Golden Cups, you don't get them anymore and remember the lemon sherbit dabs. yummy yummy!

lemon sherbert dabs..yummy..what about spanish gold ?

angela5
25-Feb-06, 00:49

Toffee crunch oh my mouth is watering..you can even design your own sweet..:D

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 00:54
I recall Spacers & Spangels both ACE, I \used to love double dip dab , I think it was called.
|Shame about Meiklejohns, it used to be a handy shop as it was open to 10.30pm but these days its got no stock & its for sale

Cedric Farthsbottom III
25-Feb-06, 00:55

2liitlle2late,this was one o' the first websites I ever went on.The sweeties ye always ate but forgot about are here.

Ye have made an auld man.........happy!!!!! :lol:

angela5
25-Feb-06, 00:59
I \used to love double dip dab.

Double dip dab was on the go not so long ago..i could never decide if i'd open the orange side or the strawberry first so i used to mix them both..:o)

2little2late
25-Feb-06, 01:02
One of my favourites is Sherbet fountain. Love eating the licorice stick, then pouring all the sherbet in my mouth. "It's frothy man". Oops, sorry that's Cresta lemonade.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
25-Feb-06, 01:08
Double dip dab was on the go not so long ago..i could never decide if i'd open the orange side or the strawberry first so i used to mix them both..:o)

Ahhh mixing the sherberts Angela5,thats where it starts ma pal,thats where it starts!!!!!:lol:

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 01:08

yer no the only 1, cant have them now coz ma teeth are goosed:Razz

angela5
25-Feb-06, 01:10
yer no the only 1, cant have them now coz ma teeth are goosed:Razz

I Canna afford em now the dentist bills are to expensive..[lol] [lol]

angela5
25-Feb-06, 01:13
Ahhh mixing the sherberts Angela5,thats where it starts ma pal,thats where it starts!!!!!:lol:

lol..cedric now i'm mixing drinks..will i have diluting orange and lemonade or just add plain water..[lol] ach! both wont hurt..

ice box
25-Feb-06, 01:13
Does any one know what happened to wispa they were my fav yummy

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 01:14
I Canna afford em now the dentist bills are to expensive..[lol] [lol]

Caithness teeth for treatment shocker!!!

Wait till tha dentist school opens

I predict a stampede & aRIOT:p :p

girnigoe
25-Feb-06, 01:16

Yes they are now Dairy Milk Bubbly

angela5
25-Feb-06, 01:16

All the memories of those yummy sweets and chocolate are coming back..it's funny it takes you a while before you even notice there not available anymore.

angela5
25-Feb-06, 01:17

I predict a riot..kaiser chiefs.[lol]

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 01:19
I predict a riot..kaiser chiefs.[lol]
\
Yer Sayin theyre gona be dentists??? I think theyd be wqsted, they should stick to music:Razz :Razz

ice box
25-Feb-06, 01:21
Yes they are now Dairy Milk Bubbly
there not the same but they will have to do lol

angela5
25-Feb-06, 01:25
there not the same but they will have to do lol

Don't think much of them now..dairy milk chocolate bar..yum..tempting but i'm watching the waist line before the waist totally disappears..:eyes

Cedric Farthsbottom III
25-Feb-06, 01:27

The dentists loved the auld Texan bars.Limited edition was released but was a lot smaller........Boo!!!!!!

Ye used to go to the dentists he would ask ye to open your mouth,would take one look.....shake his head....go tut-tut-tut....then say "Texan bars"

Ye would say in a Wild West accent"A mans gotta chew what a mans gotta chew!!!!!!":lol:

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 01:27
No Wispas either?? What kind of a sweety nation has Scotland become??:eyes

angela5
25-Feb-06, 01:55
Does anyone remember the red baker van that used to go around the streets of wick in the 1970's. When he stopped he used to shout BAKER out the window and flocks of kiddies went running home for 10p [lol] ..loads of sweets you got for that 10p..

Abdullah
25-Feb-06, 02:04
Does anyone remember the red baker van that used to go around the streets of wick in the 1970's. When he stopped he used to shout BAKER out the window and flocks of kiddies went running home for 10p [lol] ..loads of sweets you got for that 10p..

Was that hughie malcolm?

ice box
25-Feb-06, 02:10

Showing your age there anglea lol. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB)

connieb19
25-Feb-06, 10:38
MMMMM, beefburger flavour space invaders or bacon and bean puffs were my favourites or chocolate wise it was the milk tray bar,!!:)

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 12:25
What are Meiklejohns like to work for? Do they pay well? Can ye eat the sweeties when its quiet?
My wife is asking do they still make or sell the KP chocolate dips that you got a peanut or corn dip stick to plonk in to it?
I thought they were rank but each to their own:lol:

angela5
25-Feb-06, 13:02
What are Meiklejohns like to work for? Do they pay well? Can ye eat the sweeties when its quiet?
My wife is asking do they still make or sell the KP chocolate dips that you got a peanut or corn dip stick to plonk in to it?
I thought they were rank but each to their own:lol:

Yes those dips are on the go..yummy toffee ones and white chocolate:D

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 13:08
Chunky Milky Bars are Ace havent seen them for a while though[lol]

angela5
25-Feb-06, 13:14
I used to love milky ways until they changed the centre..

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 13:18
I used to love milky ways until they changed the centre..

What are they now? less sugar,coconut-yuk,caramel?? Only time i have them is in a selection box at xmas time so im not sure of them

erli
25-Feb-06, 13:54
The dentists loved the auld Texan bars.Limited edition was released but was a lot smaller........Boo!!!!!!

Ye used to go to the dentists he would ask ye to open your mouth,would take one look.....shake his head....go tut-tut-tut....then say "Texan bars"

Ye would say in a Wild West accent"A mans gotta chew what a mans gotta chew!!!!!!":lol:

I forgot about those, they were my absolute favourite. Your description of the advert reminded me of the adverts for 'Bandit' biscuits. You don't get them any more either.

erli
25-Feb-06, 13:58
Just thought after my last post I thought of another fav biscuit, I think they were called 'Sports'. Does anyone remember them, maybe I have got the name wrong.

ice box
25-Feb-06, 14:12
Just thought after my last post I thought of another fav biscuit, I think they were called 'Sports'. Does anyone remember them, maybe I have got the name wrong.
The name rings a bell but cant remember what they looked like .

erli
25-Feb-06, 14:19
The name rings a bell but cant remember what they looked like .

They were in blue and white wrappers and had pictures of footballs and rugby balls on them, which is why I think they were called sports.
Same shape as a 'Club' but they had crunchy 'stuff' in them. They were gooood!

ice box
25-Feb-06, 14:21
They were in blue and white wrappers and had pictures of footballs and rugby balls on them, which is why I think they were called sports.
Yes mind them now my dad was daft on them lol yummy

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 14:27
Any1 like Gold biscuits? Havent seen em in meiklejohns though

ice box
25-Feb-06, 14:34
Gold biscuit bar yummy iam just going shopping must keep a look out .

erli
25-Feb-06, 14:40
Gold biscuit bar yummy iam just going shopping must keep a look out .

Are they the ones with a coating that tastes like a caramac?

2little2late
25-Feb-06, 14:41

If you like any type of biscuits try this.

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/week.php3

wickerinca
25-Feb-06, 14:45
Will you lot stop it!!!!:lol:
Some of us are trying to lose weight here and I am sitting drooling!!!!

BTW I found some Sherbet Fountain in a Speciality Sweetie Store (No you can't come to visit!!) and introduced my neighbours kids to them.......Had to have one myself just to show them how to eat it!!!............now I am in the bad books of my neighbour!!![lol] [lol]

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 14:46
Are they the ones with a coating that tastes like a caramac?
Aye , thats the type Im on about, but i find yuo should have a drink about hand coz there quite rich tasting

erli
25-Feb-06, 14:52
I have not eaten chocolate in a long time, but with all this talk of biscuits and sweeties I can see me making a trip to the co-op this afternoon.

MMMMMmmm chocolate!!!

cuddlepop
25-Feb-06, 15:04
Iloved Trophy's then the namr got changed to Banjo and now they've disappeared.
Is it just me or does nothing taste the same anymore.
My aunti had a news agents in Alison street .She had all the sweet and drinks you could think of ,spangles use to come in two packets,what was my favourite was the teaspoon shapes of tablet she made with het tablet recipe yummmmmy.....
Sorrys Wickerinca:confused ,this is painful....

erli
25-Feb-06, 15:10
Do you still get yo-yos? They came in mint and toffee and I loved them.
And toffee pops, we could by them at the school tuck shop, all my lunch money would go on them and I would have nothing to eat then at lunch time.

angela5
25-Feb-06, 15:14
Do you still get yo-yos? They came in mint and toffee and I loved them.
And toffee pops, we could by them at the school tuck shop, all my lunch money would go on them and I would have nothing to eat then at lunch time.

Toffee pops yummy i remember them in the tuck shop it was less than 10p for a whole pkt..yo-yo's i have'nt seen them around for a while..

cuddlepop
25-Feb-06, 15:23
Erli you can still get mint yoyo.s haven't seen toffee ones for ages.:confused:

angela5
25-Feb-06, 16:04
Erli you can still get mint yoyo.s haven't seen toffee ones for ages.:confused:

I have'nt seen them in the supermarkets, where can you get them cuddlepop?

willowbankbear
25-Feb-06, 16:10
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_205.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB) Bet there not in meiklejohns either

angela5
25-Feb-06, 16:39

There in the supermarkets used to eat loads of them...mmm!

cuddlepop
25-Feb-06, 19:49
Angel 5 last time i saw them was in 99P shop in Inverness,got a funny feeling saw them in Lidles too :Razz

girnigoe
25-Feb-06, 19:55

Were they called 'United'??

erli
25-Feb-06, 21:02
Were they called 'United'??

Oh thank goodness, thats the ones. MMMmmmm:)

krieve
25-Feb-06, 21:04
its viscounts in lidls cuddlepop ,you get toffeepops in semichem

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Feb-06, 01:49
its viscounts in lidls cuddlepop ,you get toffeepops in semichem

Aye Krieve minty viscounts even better than the most mintiest mouthwash ye could ever get.:grin: