PDA

View Full Version : snow bunting

bekisman
03-Apr-09, 09:50
Hi not into bird-watching in a big way, but we've had a snow bunting here at Strathy around our bird table for the last four days; is this usual?

the_count
03-Apr-09, 17:37
they would be heading north to their breeding grounds around this time so to see one "stocking up" before its flight over would be usual but have never seen one for myself yet lol. Any chance you managed to get a picture of it.:D

highlander
03-Apr-09, 21:00
Most beautiful birds, you usually get flocks of them around sheep troughs, here is a photo i took a few years ago.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/herons013.jpg

highlander
03-Apr-09, 21:01
Ooops not a very good one that, im sure i have a photo of a flock of them, will try and find it.

gleeber
03-Apr-09, 21:30
That's a great picture highlander and I'm surwe I recognise the stone dyke and the barbed wire and the field in the background too.:eek:

htwood
04-Apr-09, 22:59
Lovely picture H, yes plz try to find your flock picture up.

sprint95m
07-Apr-09, 18:06
they would be heading north to their breeding grounds around this time so to see one "stocking up" before its flight over would be usual but have never seen one for myself yet lol. Any chance you managed to get a picture of it.:D

Flocks occur in the winter on the beaches, Dunnet, Reiss, Murkle etc.

Can also be seen on some mountain tops during the summer, eg Cairngorm or Ben Nevis, where they are quite tame dodging between people.