PDA

View Full Version : What can you not do?

Vistravi
02-Apr-09, 20:58
Is there anything that you can't do? Or anything that you rattles you and you can't get past it?

Jus yesterday when i was in the east gate centre with a friend. We were looking for a outift for the wedding he is going to in a week or so. In one of the shops to get to the mens department we had to use a escalator.
I've only ever managed to go on an esclator once and i hated it. Ever since then i've never managed to get on one.

So yesterday when it came to the esclator my friend who knows i can't go on one tried very hard to help me go on it but i ended up going back through the shop and using the stairs to get to the ground level of the centre.

I've got the guts to do so many things that some of my friends can't do but yet i can't go on an esclator:confused

Anyone else ever been in a similar predicitinment?(spelling)

skinnydog
02-Apr-09, 21:02
I am so terrified of heights it is a pain in the ass. Been loads of places all over the world and missed out on some great views as I just can't leave the ground without feeling dizzy and ill. I have tried to overcome it but no, it has well and truly beaten me.

Rheghead
02-Apr-09, 21:05
I've got the guts to do so many things that some of my friends can't do but yet i can't go on an esclator:confused

That is interesting, has your reluctance to go on an escalator have anything to do with a certain Public Information film in the 1970s involving a ragdoll getting caught in one?:confused

ShelleyCowie
02-Apr-09, 21:08
There are things i am scared of! I really dont like bridges. But i still have to cross them!

I am quite a determined person most the time! I dont like it when people say that they cant. Its not that they cant, sometimes it is a case of they dont want too.

Fears are slightly different for most cases because it is the sub-conscious. Vistravi, i bet you could do it if i was there! :Razz Would make a drinking game out of it! Would have you running up and down that escalators!

But at least you can say you have been on one before.

Its when someone says "i cant do it..." when they have not even attempted it! That really bugs me!

George Brims
03-Apr-09, 01:30
I can't spray paint. Just don't have the patience. My son on the other hand is very good at it, but when he paints with a brush, it always looks like he has used a toothbrush.

Metalattakk
03-Apr-09, 01:47
I can't lick my elbow. Also, I can't put my elbow in my ear.

What is it about my elbows?

horseman
03-Apr-09, 06:14
You are fortunate,cos' the doctors say that is the one thing you must not do---put your elbow in your ear---so please stop trying.

Lavenderblue2
03-Apr-09, 07:46
Vistravi, your fear of the escalator reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of years ago in M&S Eastbourne. I was coming down when one of my parcels nearly slipped from my hand - I must have dipped to down when my skirt got caught in the works. It was getting dragged off me so I yanked it hard and it came out - covered in thick black grease.

I was shaken – well imagine a lady of certain age being parted from her skirt in a very busy store – it’s the sort of thing that happens in a bad dream isn’t it…:eek:

There was a service desk near the bottom so I spoke to a supervisor and she told me that M&S would only offer to cover the dry cleaning cost – that’s not what I was looking for… she didn’t even offer to help get me cleaned up.
I went straight back to where I was staying – by now my ankles and feet were black with the grease.

In future I would certainly be very careful when using an escalator in a long summer skirt.

Oh – the thing that I can’t do which really bugs me – I can’t swim!! I went to a group in the Thurso pool but I didn’t get anywhere – I’m really frightened. I would give my eye teeth to be able to swim. :(

rockchick
03-Apr-09, 07:56
I can't sing, can't even carry a tune, to the point that if I even hum a tune in the office people poke their heads in and politely ask me to stop. I love music, so this inability drives me batty. Unfortunately it's not something that can be learnt!

Angela
03-Apr-09, 07:58
I can't step onto an escalator going down - I just stay in a frozen panic at the top.

I regret the fact that I never learned to ride a bike. As a kid I wasn't allowed to and when I finally tried in my teens it was just hopeless and embarrassing...:o

Odd as I could and did ride a horse, roller skate, ice skate .... :confused tho' sadly I can't do these things now. :(

ett23
03-Apr-09, 08:44
What is it about escalators? My sister-in-law is exactly the same. But also lifts do it for her and tons of other stuff, eg. driving in heavy traffic in a big city, parking in a car park between two cars, reversing, small creatures (frogs, snakes, mice, fish, etc). The list is probably endless.

The thing that annoys me is my fear of heights. It really frustrates me. I wanted to go on the Pepsi Max rollercoaster at Blackpool but the thought of being 200-odd feet up in the air then plummeting to the ground completely put me off!! Also I can't go on ferris wheels - even when they're really slow moving. It completely terrifies me, particularly when they stop and our carriage is right at the top, getting blown about by the wind then some idiot in the carriage decides to make it swing by using their body weight, or even worse uses the pole in the middle to make it spin round and round!!! :eek: Better stop now or I'll be giving myself nightmares!! [lol]

Dadie
03-Apr-09, 08:54
I dont like heights and its getting worse...
Used to manage to go up in the "cherry picker" at work only feeling butterflies in my tummy but the last time I was up in it I felt sick!
I struggle with ladders ...
And I cannot remove spiders from the bath as they give me the heebie jeebies!
And im pathetic at opening screwtop jars and bottles!

shazzy
03-Apr-09, 09:09
That is interesting, has your reluctance to go on an escalator have anything to do with a certain Public Information film in the 1970s involving a ragdoll getting caught in one?:confused
I remember that advert,stuff of truely terrifying nightmares!!:(

majic
03-Apr-09, 09:14
i dont like escalaters or hights or going on trains or i cant eat celery i hate it ;p

golach
03-Apr-09, 09:21
I am not a good swimmer, lived in the country as a laddie, (No access to a swimming pool in those days), as a seaman, I learnt to swim in a 10'x10'x10' swimming pool on board ship, some thing I have always regretted, but I made sure my children could swim.

supernova
03-Apr-09, 09:31

Is that the same ad where a boy's wellie boot gets caught at the edge? Terrifying. Ever since seeing that I have stayed exactly in the middle of the step on an escalator and feel paranoid when I take my children on one.

Dadie
03-Apr-09, 09:52
I also cant manage to go on holiday abroad without losing a suitcase either on the way there (which is very annoying, but have learned to pack at least 1 change for everyone in each suitcase) or on the way back... when it finally turns up its awful (dirty clothes left for a while in a suitcase are never nice)

Or my suitcase being chewed up and spat out by the baggage handling system........

Fluff
03-Apr-09, 11:07
I hate people who are cocky on escalators though. I have seen a few injuries from people slipping etc.. not pretty.

What annoys me which I cannot do is pronounce some words correctly. I had a speech impediment when I was little and although it is fine now there are still a few words that get me.
My spelling and maths ability also frustrate me.

attielattie
03-Apr-09, 11:29
I can't see the back of my own head, or most of my face for that matter! [lol]
I sometimes get freaked out when I realise that the only way I will ever see my own face is in a mirror or a photo. Same goes for a lot of the body. I wonder if that's why, when you see a photo of yourself, you say "that doesn't look like me". Obviously we are so used to seeing how we look in a mirror, that our images in photos look completely different. Especially if we have asymmetric features. My hubbie looks so different in a mirror that it's almost like looking at another person, but that's how he sees himself every day.
Sorry, I'm thinking about not seeing my own face ever and beginning to freak out a bit. :eek:
I think I'll leave it there.

Saveman
03-Apr-09, 11:57
Save everyone.

joxville
03-Apr-09, 12:17
I've climbed Everest, written a three minute opera, developed a combustion coal engine and made a hang-glider using tent poles and 15 denier tights. I've made women swoon with my sensous kazoo playing, I've been a hitman for the FBI, CIA and B&Q. I hold the world record for throwing remote controls and for sleeping upside down like a bat.

But I cannot manage time efficiently. :D

Julia
03-Apr-09, 12:19
I can't aim very well at all with a sledge hammer.

Ricco
03-Apr-09, 12:56
Can't playa musical instrument. Would love to play guitar or something, but haven't got the talent. :(

justine
03-Apr-09, 13:03
Heights.not that the height bothers me but the fear of falling does. tall ladders, can tolerate so far up but after that i start to go light headed.

My stomach churns at the thought of being near the edge of something tall.

Vistravi
03-Apr-09, 15:14
There are things i am scared of! I really dont like bridges. But i still have to cross them!

I am quite a determined person most the time! I dont like it when people say that they cant. Its not that they cant, sometimes it is a case of they dont want too.

Fears are slightly different for most cases because it is the sub-conscious. Vistravi, i bet you could do it if i was there! :Razz Would make a drinking game out of it! Would have you running up and down that escalators!

But at least you can say you have been on one before.

Its when someone says "i cant do it..." when they have not even attempted it! That really bugs me!

I jus frezze and i can't move. I did it once when i was with my partner but never since then. The fact that it moves scares me as don't want to get caught or hurt on it. Bet after a few i could do it as become pretty fearless then,:lol:

Venture
03-Apr-09, 16:36
Something that really annoys me that I can't seem to do, is remember my mobile phone number. I can remember other peoples but the minute someone asks me for mine, the brain freezes.:confused:

Gene Hunt
03-Apr-09, 16:47
Win an argument with a woman.

I expect to lose them with the wife on the rare occasions they occur but now I am losing them with my daughters, I just want to win one, just one, but it seems to be beyond me.

bekisman
03-Apr-09, 17:28
Swimming; I'm one of those rare(ish) beasts who has negative buoyancy. During my basic Training in the Army it was at Aldershot baths this was discovered by the powers that be. Whilst during training with the Fire Service at Washington Hall in Lancs., my fellow peers were amused when I dived into the shallow end and undertook a perfect breast stoke scrapping along the bottom, until being hauled out before I got further into the deeper section.
I'm not bothered by water; kayaked across the English Channel with the comment from my fellow paddler of 'it's alright with you, you'll drown in a couple of minutes whilst I'll be swimming around for blinking hours' - this was negated when we donned buoyancy aids!

Incidentally ref the mention of escalators in these posts, I seem to remember from my Fire Service days that if you push the red emergency button, the thing does not stop right away - as most expect (otherwise a lot of people could/would be thrown and injured), but slows gradually..

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Apr-09, 21:13
I cannae go by a Burger King without going in and ordering two cheeseburgers,a large Fanta and a regular fries.I have tried many times and failed.
I also cannae look at a needle without sweating.Goes back to the days when my brother said to me,"watch oot fur that yon TB jag it goes right doon to the bone."I got my revenge though.:lol::lol:

Vistravi
03-Apr-09, 22:12
Win an argument with a woman.

I expect to lose them with the wife on the rare occasions they occur but now I am losing them with my daughters, I just want to win one, just one, but it seems to be beyond me.

Women are better at arguments, we like to get the last word;)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Apr-09, 22:24
Women are better at arguments, we like to get the last word;)
Only when we let ye have the last word.;)Remember the time when lassies are taken away in a separate class and told about "ladies"things.Ye thought the guys were all taken away to cough at a nurse and think of Scotland.Wrong.We were all given the "secret".

golach
04-Apr-09, 00:07
Only when we let ye have the last word.;)Remember the time when lassies are taken away in a separate class and told about "ladies"things.Ye thought the guys were all taken away to cough at a nurse and think of Scotland.Wrong.We were all given the "secret".
Cedric, you clype!!! You have just destroyed mans secret [disgust]

Thumper
04-Apr-09, 10:47
I cant do heights either,standing on a pier is my idea of hell!But the worst thing I cant do is say NO-try to do it but usually send up saying yes to keep the peace :o x