PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Bacon Roll

Gene Hunt
02-Apr-09, 15:34
Looking for some good ideas for spicing up my daily Bacon Roll.

I always seem to have a couple every day and I am getting bored with my usual of crispy bacon on a bed of grated cheese and a dash of Jack Daniels chilli sauce over the top.

I though there might be some good Scottish bacon roll idea's I am missing.

Any ideas ??

nellie
02-Apr-09, 16:43
try having an egg on top of the bacon or a sausage.:lol:

Aaldtimer
02-Apr-09, 17:10
Add a slice of black pudding and a dash of HP sauce!:D

arana negra
02-Apr-09, 17:31
It may sound rather rude but try the recipe board ? I am surprised you have not been moved there anyway.

Ingredients for a good bacon roll for me are

Good quality roll

Anchor spreadable butter

Small dash of HP

Best quality bacon grilled

Sliced onion lighty fried or sauted

:)

Now if ye were talkin lorne sausage MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

poppett
02-Apr-09, 17:40
Bacon, egg and a tattie scone in a roll is my favourite.

kitty kat
02-Apr-09, 17:45
:( i am sooooo hungry now :lol: bacon need bacon crispy tasty emmmm homer simpson style

Gene Hunt
02-Apr-09, 18:16
It may sound rather rude but try the recipe board ? I am surprised you have not een oved there anyway.

Good quality roll

Anchor spreadable butter

Small dash of HP

Not rude at all, I didn't know there was a recipe board, must look harder next time.

Going shopping now so will try the black pudding idea and the egg on top for tomorrow. Bit of planning required to avoid egg yolk explosion though.

mulac
02-Apr-09, 18:36
Hardly being rude !

Bacon Cheese tattie scone and a drop of chilli sauce

Hmmmmmmmmmmm Tasty !

ShelleyCowie
02-Apr-09, 18:40
Thank goodness i ate my dinner before reading this or else i would be eating my PC screen reading all that!

I usually have a bacon and egg roll. Good quality spread and roll. Thick bacon, large egg. Yummy!

arana negra
02-Apr-09, 18:56
Hardly being rude !

Bacon Cheese tattie scone and a drop of chilli sauce

Hmmmmmmmmmmm Tasty !

I do hope you don't fry the tattie scone :eek: they should only ever be eaten warm with butter hmmmm I am seriously hungry now ! :)

mulac
02-Apr-09, 19:40
I do hope you don't fry the tattie scone :eek: they should only ever be eaten warm with butter hmmmm I am seriously hungry now ! :)

Just lightly fried :)

ks
02-Apr-09, 19:48
Looking for some good ideas for spicing up my daily Bacon Roll.

I always seem to have a couple every day and I am getting bored with my usual of crispy bacon on a bed of grated cheese and a dash of Jack Daniels chilli sauce over the top.

Any ideas ??

Add a slice of haggis.

Julia
02-Apr-09, 19:54
What about adding some onion chutney?

Gene Hunt
02-Apr-09, 20:59
Tomorrow I am going to have this lot all on a roll (or two), from the bottom going up .. cheese, Chilli Sauce, Black Pudding, Bacon, HP Sauce, Fried Egg, cheese.

Will go on a hunt for some proper haggis and in the next couple of days and round two will be .. Cheese, HP sauce, Haggis, Bacon, Fried Egg, cheese.

My local baker is a Scot so I am sure he will know what a tattie scone is, I will get some from him, this gives me an excuse for a third option over the weekend.

alex
02-Apr-09, 21:12
What is it about bacon roll's? The smell - the taste. Bacon rolls are the only foodstuff I've ever come across to cause major drama verging on divorce.

My friend Leo (no, not the lion :lol: a network engineer in Edgware London) loved his bacon rolls and relished the Friday morning when we all had a treat from the local baker. Of course, as these things do our secret emerged in casual conversation at a work do and his wife caused a major scene - Leo is Jewish.

Another colleague Vashiell used to drool as I indulged at my desk but managed to restrain having never touched meat in her life.

Perhaps, it's just that we all know they're naughty but nice and some of us are lucky enough to be allowed to indulge. We're so lucky.

If anyone is kind enough to invite me to a BBQ one day, ask me to prepare my onion gravy and/or barbecue sauce. They are highly praised out here, each with a secret ingredient accidently discovered and now treasured.

Both would transform your roll but they take hours to prepare...

Whitewater
02-Apr-09, 23:07
I rather like a black pudding and egg roll. The egg has to be cooked just so the yolk runs down you chin after you have bitten into it. mmmmm! delicious, even better if it is Stornoway black pudding. Not too many though, they are a disaster for the waist line.

crayola
02-Apr-09, 23:39

Any ideas ??
Yes, add a Mars Bar and deep fry the lot in batter. :D

eric pollard
03-Apr-09, 00:25
try this concept now try and keep up try a sausage roll instead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mallster
03-Apr-09, 00:26
My god i do like a bacon roll but my my i think a life would maybe just be a start:lol::lol::lol:

George Brims
03-Apr-09, 01:28
Over here in the US we have a grocery chain called Trader Joe's. They do a tomato chutney that looks for all the world like raspberry jam, and is just delicious (great with samosas etc). It would be killer on a bacon roll. If I come up on the lottery I will have to go and see the wee wifie who runs our local British shop and get some proper bacon.

Gene Hunt
03-Apr-09, 12:39
Just had cheese, black pudding, bacon, egg and HP sauce on a couple of fresh crusty rolls. The wife is going on about cholesterol but I don't care, they were delicious. Besides I am bang on my ideal weight so a few days of pigging out wont hurt.

She isn't going to be happy tomorrow as I am having the same but with a tattie scone as well courtesy of my local Scottish baker. I am also investigating chutney options. I may need to invest in bigger rolls too.

Green_not_greed
03-Apr-09, 12:48
I don't know what goes into them (apart from bacon and a roll. of course), but the ones from the Fisherman's Mission at Scrabster are superb!

Ricco
03-Apr-09, 12:52
It may sound rather rude but try the recipe board ? I am surprised you have not been moved there anyway.

Good quality roll

Anchor spreadable butter

Small dash of HP

Interested in your nom de plume - does arana negra stand for Black Widow?

speedo215
03-Apr-09, 17:51
well for me bacon and black pudding is the best you just canna beat it

majic
03-Apr-09, 18:12
you could try adding fried onion mushroom and some tommy sause (cant say i have tried it cos im a veggie but my OH loves them)

Venture
03-Apr-09, 19:09
Just had cheese, black pudding, bacon, egg and HP sauce on a couple of fresh crusty rolls. The wife is going on about cholesterol but I don't care, they were delicious. Besides I am bang on my ideal weight so a few days of pigging out wont hurt.

She isn't going to be happy tomorrow as I am having the same but with a tattie scone as well courtesy of my local Scottish baker. I am also investigating chutney options. I may need to invest in bigger rolls too.

Going by how many variations you still have to try Gene, you'll be needing bigger trousers as well.[lol]

Every time I read this thread it makes me hungry.

honey
03-Apr-09, 19:19
i like adding other things (many mentioned already) but sometimes a plain white soft roll, with loads of butter and bacon is more than enough!

alex
03-Apr-09, 19:33
i like adding other things (many mentioned already) but sometimes a plain white soft roll, with loads of butter and bacon is more than enough!

Very true, except I'd say perfect rather than "more than enough" if the bacon is top notch.

So who does the best Bacon Roll in Caithness?

Blast!
03-Apr-09, 19:39
Bacon + Roll + Tommy K == The best bacon roll.

Everything else is Blasphemy.

honey
03-Apr-09, 19:57
Very true, except I'd say perfect rather than "more than enough" if the bacon is top notch.

So who does the best Bacon Roll in Caithness?

my mam!!!! ;) glad shes coming to visit next week, she can make me some!! :lol:

arana negra
03-Apr-09, 19:59
Interested in your nom de plume - does arana negra stand for Black Widow?

Kodiak LOOK AWAY NOW

Araņa Negra (which is how I spelt it but it did not come up as that) is spanish for black spider, I used it on another site with a great avatar of a black spider going down a pink toilet.

the poacher
03-Apr-09, 21:25
dont matter how you make a bacon roll they all taste great
from lightly grilled to crispy fried.

they all taste brill :) :)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Apr-09, 21:45
There's a wee trucker stop in Ballinluig on the A9 from Perth to Inverness.Their bacon rolls are amazing,nothing added just bacon,a roll and butter(ye have to ask for margarine:lol:).What a belter of a bacon roll.All the extras with a bacon roll are just trimmings.To eat a true bacon roll is this place on the A9.
Never have bacon with a true builders breakfast,bacon is only made for rolls.

Aaldtimer
04-Apr-09, 02:31

No! It's never enough...I always crave another one!:eek: